Dune Timeline - please help!

NeoDevilbane

Here's what I found on the net of the Dune Encyclopedia's timeline...

BEFORE GUILD (B.G.)

19,000-16,500 Early civilizations on Terra/Old Earth.

16,500 Aleksandr creates FIRST EMPIRE.

16,400-16,000 ROMAN EMPIRE arises and conquers the known world, except for China, which resists until 14,400.

15,800 Imperial Seat moved to Byzantium in retreat before provincial rebellions and minor jihads.

14,700-14,608 THE GREAT STRUGGLE: The Century Without an Emperor.

14,608 Discoveries in America allow Madrid to attain the status of the Imperial Seat.

14,512 BATTLE OF ENLICHANNEL. Seat of Empire moved from Madrid to London.

14,500-14,200 THE GOLDEN AGE OF INVENTION: Development of radio, television, atomics, rocketry, genetics, and the computer.

14,255 First atomics demonstrated in an intraprovincial war. Seat of Empire moved to Washington.

14,100-13,600 THE LITTLE DIASPORA: The solar system colonized, and the population of Terra is eventually outnumbered by 20 to 1.

13,402 Ceres gains the Imperial Seat after a planetoid strikes Terra.

13,402-13,399 THE RESCUE OF THE TREASURES from Terra.

13,360 Terra re-seeded and set aside (by Imperial edict) as a national park.

13,004 SUSPENSOR-NULLIFCATION EFFECT discovered.

12,200 THE EMPIRE OF TEN WORLDS. Communications becoming strained.

11,200 The EMPIRE OF A THOUSAND WORLDS (an empire in name only, because Imperial power was so diffuse as to be nonexistent).

11,105 AGE OF PRETENDERS begins when Ceres is destroyed by rebellion, and the Imperial Seat ceases to exist as a single entity.

11,100-7,562 THE AGE OF TEN THOUSAND EMPERORS (sometimes called "The Great Dark Ages").

7,593 I.V. Tio Holtzman born on Liesco II.

7,565 Holtzman disabled and cyborged.

7,562 Holtzman reveals the "wave-effect" nature of the suspensor-nullification device.

7,556 Holtzman severely damaged and thrown into a cometary orbit. Communications with him are lost.

7,562-5,022 THE WARS OF REUNIFICATION, consequent on the immediate communication made possible by Holtzman Effect.

5,022 THE EMPIRE OF TEN THOUSAND WORLDS united under Ladislaus the Great.

5,022-3,678 THE FIRST GOLDEN AGE.

3,832 Holtzman reappears at Liesco, and presents the theory for construction of the DEFENSIVE SHIELD.

3,678 THE SILICON PLAGUE: the "Death of the Machines."

3,678-2,000 THE LITTLE DARK AGES, ending with the development of plague-resistant conductors.

2,000-1,800 THE RETURN OF THE COMPUTER (sometimes called "The Second Reunification").

1,970 Tio Holtzman reappears, and presents his UNIFIED THEORY.

1,800-400 THE SECOND GOLDEN AGE. Circa 700 the first anti-computer pogroms occur.

711-200 Tensions increase between programmites and humanity-firsters, tensions which Jehanne Butler was to exploit.

200-108 THE BUTLERIAN JIHAD.

108 Holtzman returns and is destroyed by forces of the Jihad.

ca. 100 Ixians, refugees from the Jihad, led by Aurelius Venport, discover TUPILE, the Sanctuary Planet(s).

88 THE BATTLE OF CORRIN.

86 FOUNDATION OF HOUSE ATREIDES when Demetrios Atreides is made Baron Tantalos in reward for aiding the Corrinos.

84 First MELANGE-guided journey through hyperspace, by Norma Cenva.

12 B.G.-70 A.G. The Reign of SAUDIR I, "The Great."

10 Corpus Luminis Praenuntiantis (the future Spacing Guild) begins negotiations with the Empire.

10-5 THE GREAT FINANCIAL SYNOD, on Aerarium IV, creates CHOAM.

0 THE LION THRONE, THE SPACING GUILD, and CHOAM (as the arm of the Landsraad) combine to establish the form of human society for the next ten thousand years.

AFTER GUILD (A.G.)

123-184 Reign of NEGARA II.

207 Thomas Atreides helps restore Elrood II, and is

made Duke of Jaddua.

337 THE GREAT CONVENTION is ratified.

385-388 THE LISHASH REBELLION, the last significant armed resistance to the Empire.

388 Saudir III designates SALUSA SECUNDUS as PRISON PLANET.

390 Wallach I begins use of Salusa Secundus as a training ground for the SARDAUKAR.

1,234 THE ORDER OF MENTATS is founded by Gilbertus Albans, orginally on the planet Septimus, and moved to Tleilax a decade later.

1,487 The Corrinos shift the Imperial Seat to Kaitain.

2,800 Elrood V gives Poritrin, third planet of Epsilon Alangue, to House Maros. Siridar Charles Baron Mikarrol, planetary governor of Terra, sends two million ZENSUNNI to Poritrin, beginning the Zensunni Migratrion.

4,492 Poritrin is given to House Alexin, and the Sarduakar are sent to remove the Zensunni, sending five million to BELA TEGEUSE and five million to SALUSA SECUNDUS.

5,122 First FACE DANCERS appear as entertainers at the Court of Corrin XIV.

5,295 Ezhar VII releases the Zensunni on Salusa Secundus, sending them to ISHIA, second planet of Beta Tygri.

6,049 Zensunni on Bela Tegeuse are transported again, with the majority sent to Harmonthep, and the remainder to ROSSAK, the fifth planet of Alces Minor.

ca. 6,600 A Sayyadina on Rossak discovers a plant whose ingestion unlocks the "voices within."

ca. 6,800 Harmonthep, a satellite of Delta Pavonis, is destroyed by unknown causes.

7,193 Zensunni on Rossak buy passage to ARRAKIS from the Spacing Guild. By this time, all Zensunni from both Ishia and Rossak have reached Arrakis.

8,711 The Atreides family is awarded the Siridar- Dukedom of CALADAN.

9,751 ELACCA drug in relatively common use.

9,846 Invention of HUNTER-SEEKER.

ca. 10,000 Invention of the DISTRANS on Ix.

10,092 Semuta extraction process discovered.

10,140 LETO ATREIDES (Duke Leto I) born.

10,154 LADY JESSICA born.

10,155-10,165 GURNEY HALLECK a Harkonnen slave on Giedi Prime.

10,158 DUNCAN IDAHO (the human) born.

10,175 PAUL ATREIDES born.

10,179 First successful implant of the distrans in a human.

10,190-10,191 House Atreides moves to ARRAKIS.

10,191 The Sardaukar attack on Arrakis kills Duke Leto; Paul and Jessica go into the desert with the Fremen. ALIA ATREIDES born.

10,193 Paul regains control of Arrakis and its spice monopoly.

10,196 SHADDAM IV abdicates; Paul becomes Emperor.

10,196-10,208 PAUL'S JIHAD.

10,200 FARAD'N (KENOLA) born to Wensicia and Count Dalak Kenola.

10,204 Count Dalak dies suspiciously in 'thopter accident; Farad'n's last name is changed to Corrino.

10,208 GHOLA HAYT (Duncan-10208) is created and presented to Paul.

10,209 LETO II and GHANIMA born. CHANI dies. Paul goes into the desert, and Alia becomes regent.

10,210 Alia dissolves the FEDAYKIN, Paul's Death-Commandos.

10,218 Duncan-10208 delivers Lady Jessica to House Corrino.

10,219 LETO II ascends to the throne.

10,246 HARQ AL-HARBA born.

10,271 REVOLT OF THE FREMEN crushed, and its leader, Duncan-10235, is put to death.

10,941 Duncan-10895 reveals the ritual of SIAYNOQ.

11,745 THE ORDER OF MENTATS is suppressed by Leto II.

12,335 The execution of THE NINE HISTORIANS.

12,725 The Festival City of ONN is built according to the design of Duncan-12720.

13,724 The death of LETO II.

14,702 THE CROMPTON RUINS discovered.

15,525 The finding of THE RAKIS HOARD.

15,540 The publication of THE DUNE ENCYCLOPEDIA.

My questions to you people...

1) When does Heretics of Dune take place? How many years after God Emperor?

2) How many years after God Emperor or Heretics of Dune does Chapterhouse take place?

3) Exactly how many years does House Atreides, House Harkonnen, and House Corrino consecutively take place before the original Dune?

I want to create a modified timeline that, while salvaging as much as possible from the Dune Encyclopedia, chronicles the Kevin Anderson/Brian Herbert works. I suspect pretty much all of the Dune Encyclopedia's references to the Buterlerian Jihad will have to be replaced as we read more from the KA/BH novels.

Please respond, guys... I want to make this as comprehensive as possible.

- Neo

• 8 years later...

Sorry to chime in on an old thread....

What always bugged me about the timeline at the beginning of the DE was the absence of anything about Islam or Arabic empires, particularly given the importance of these to the Dune series.

If I were to add to the DE timeline (which really can't be integrated with the "canon" timeline), it would be a few hints here and there about these.

I guess they were not considered "Empires" in the same sense as the Roman or Alexander the Great. Maybe due to size and influence? I am not sure how large the largest islamic country was though, might have been bigger than Alexander's Empire for all I know?

And due to the dominance of the West currently, and if it continued, you might think that the people/Empires thought of as the greatest in the west were the ones remembered? For my part I know none great islamic leaders, but know several Roman Emperors and British Monarchs and I have of course heard of Alexander the Great.

But in terms of religion it seems to me also that Islam to a higher extent than Christianity survived. Maybe related to secularisation of western worlds currently? Seems plausible to me...

Please don't add "Brian and Kevin'''s works to your timeline.

I wanted to say that a good timeline of Frank Herbert's Dune, which is the only Dune, is on the Dune wiki. On that wiki, MoffRoebus really has the Dune Encylcopedia timeline down pat, as well. Sadly, I established the so-called 'Expanded' time-line, which I wish now I could go and delete.

What always bugged me about the timeline at the beginning of the DE was the absence of anything about Islam or Arabic empires, particularly given the importance of these to the Dune series.

Quite obviously, the DE timeline is written from the European (or, maybe, even more accurately, North American) viewpoint. I somewhat doubt that FH would agree with that, taking into account the role Oriental cultures play in the books. So I guess you're right, the DE timeline is pretty biased.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...