How good is Counterstrike?

Navaros

I never touched Counterstrike before because the graphics in Half-Life are very hideous - but right now I am watching a documentary on TV about FPS games and it is showing a lot of Counterstike. From seeing this, Counterstrike looks freakin' COOL. Hardcore violence to the extreme (much unlike the babyish and "T"-rated Renegade LOL )

So I am here to ask you guys, how many of you play Counterstrike? Is it really as good as the hype? How prevalent is cheating amongst Counterstike Clans?

How many add-ons would I have to buy, or could I just by Half-Life and then legally download all the Counterstike add-ons for free?

What network is it played on?

If you know anything about Counterstike, post everything you know in this thread.

agreed, Half life was revolutionary but i didn't find it to cool. counterstrike is very good but i lost interest in it. I played it from the first beta's till the 1.0 version. I'm not playing it anymore now. but i must admit that it's probably the best mod ever and you can get tons of fun out of it. It is very good on LAN's

YOU DO NOT NEED HALF-LIFE TO PLAY COUNTER-STRIKE. Just wanted to make that clear to everyone....I have it, I've played it a couple times, doesn't appeal to me. It is right in the category that I hate - games that try to be realistic, but are still very fake. I prefer one or the other. For instance I love R6: Rogue Spear cuz it is soooo realistic and awesome physics. I also love UT cuz you can just go out there with a bad-ass rocket launcher and shoot guys 6 times in the head with it :P then get a shield belt and go into low-grav room, and cause some serious mayhem. Counter-strike tries to be realistic, but to me it is just cheesy. Of course there are millions of people who think differently... ;D

I think that counterstrike is too realistic. I used to play it a lot on a LAN, but i lost interest in it very quickly and got bored rescuing the same 5 hostages over and over again.

However the AK 47 is a nice gun and i enjoy using it ;D

I have been playing CS and many other mods for Half Life for years now. There was a recent upgrade that vastly improved the models for CS. My friends were awed for a day because the models move their mouth when you speak to people via microphone. I never use the mic so I did not care. CS was made to compete with Rogue Spear, and I think it is the best realistic FPS I have played in a long time.

To answer Nav

CS is not realistic. thats a fact not an opinion I have survived head shots with a crappy handgun and I had no armor my health was just 45. it is a great game though the deagle is more powerfull in real life and is not as accurate but still CS rocks! and so does TFC like CS ,a hf mod also, though cs is more realistic than TFC its is not as realistic as socom so if you like cs try socom.I love CS though I have a cool leet skin because the original is stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

I play Day of Defeat and FireArms instead. More war feeling and stuff. DoD is realistic I think. You can only take about 3 shots, the guns don't shoot exaclt straight, the sniper has to train a lot before he can master his gun, you get tired if you run and jump, you have to take cover, not just run around and play hero etc. I recomend you to play it, at least try it out! I love it!

http://www.dodmod.com/

SoF is not realistic at all.

In the very first mission try blowing the heads off the SWAT Officers who are holding the skinheads hostage at gunpoint. Blow off the head of one of those SWAT Officers, and the other 3 do nothing. They remain idle. They do absolutely NOTHING. Like, DUH? How horrible can AI possibly get? That alone totally turned me off from SoF;