Iraqi Embassy in Germany Liberated

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/08/20/germany.iraq/index.html

Ok, the Spokesman (not in the Embassy) for the group who took over the Embassy Says, "They don't have any weapons. Those that have weapons are the Iraqi secret service."

"We did not break any law. We marched peacefully into the embassy."

Saddam Hussein's government says, "Armed terrorists from the mercenaries of the American and Zionist intelligence services attacked our embassy in Berlin, hurting an employee and holding the rest of the employees inside the building." And also Iraq condemned the occupation of its embassy in Berlin as a "terrorist aggression" by mercenaries of the Israeli and U.S. intelligence services. (Two different ways of phrasing the same thing.)

So here's my question. How can Armed Terrorists backed by Israel and the US take over the German Iraqi Embassy when the German Police, the Ambassador's Wife, and the group says they were unarmed?

Did you know if you go to iraq there is an image of Saddam on every street? Statues, murals on the sides of mosques, and several other types of pictures. Even images of Saddam as a construction worker and as a man humbly handing out bread at a Mosque. He has such a nice propaganda machine, I mean yes the US has lovely propaganda machines in the News, but I don't have to turn it on and see Bush's face unless I feel like it.

No matter what one thinks of his character you have to admit he is smart. He has a wonderful propaganda machine, a decent military, one of the most complex anti-aircraft systems on Earth, and probably a small stockpile of NBC (Nuclear/Biological/Chemical) weapons.

At the hotel where foreigners in Baghdad stay, you have to walk over a mosaic of George Bush Sr. It has his face, and the words "Bush is Evil" in English and Arabic. To get into the hotel, you step on the former president's face. Whenever the US shoots down a plane in the no fly zone people will go there and stomp it in anger. The woman who made it lived next to an Iraqi military installation and her house was bombed by mistake during the Gulf War, so the propaganda Saddam spreads about it is that she was targetted for making that mosaic of Bush Sr.

"probably a small stockpile of NBC Nuclear/Biological/Chemical) weapons"

Well, given some of his blunders and attitudes, this is probably not a point in his favour.

"German Police, the Ambassador's Wife, and the group says they were unarmed"

Quite easily. These people are lying, unless they were not "Armed Terrorists" as you say.

Well I must say. THe embassy in germany is iraqi territory. They should have given prior warning to Saddam. Saddam is a horrible person. You have to do things in an orderly fashion. In vietnam, the north vietnamese took over the american embassy in south vietnam. This was an attack on american land. We have no more right to do that. Espesially when we have not declared war on iraq in the first place. we need to IMO

i think the US might regret not taking him out when they had a chance....

They never really had a chance to take him out. They sent 500,000 soldiers in 1991 to try and take him out but failed to do so. Nowadays they are debating on whether to try it again. If it isn't done now, it may never be done, but also it wouldn't be easy if they do it now, so it's a pickle.

Give me one good reason why the US should attack Iraq, other than to satisfy Bush's need for yet another target and scapegoat in Oceana's war with Eastasia (obscure George Orwell reference)... uh, I mean the war on terror.

He is insane. That's good enough a reason for me. :)

And they didn't take out Saddam in '91 because the government at the time thought it would look bad since they were just wiping out the Iraqi army without taking many casaulties.

Other than your standard "What Ifs" there is none at all. Until Saddam makes an openly agressive move I wouldn't want to see the US attack him. I'm just saying the man is Brilliant as a Dictator.

North Korea is someone Bush might want to go after. Definitely hostile, most of the country can be likened to the conditions of Nazi Germany during WW2. Has nuclear weapons (confirmed knowledge, unlike with Iraq.). And then if the US won, they could be the last nation to sign the anti-landmines treaty! Every US President uses the mines protecting our troops on the South Korean border as an excuse for not signing a treaty against a weapon that takes more civilian than military lives. When a war is over, a landmine doesn't realize it. So when some little kid steps on one and dies because of the landmine being left over from a war decades ago, it might be because of the treaty not being signed by everyone.

They never really had a chance to take him out.

as long as we knew where he was near, we had the bombs to do the job.... we may not of gotten a direct hit but it would of been close enuff... (close only counts when playing horses shoes, using hand gernades and small-large necular devices). sorry if i may seem a little crass on this subject, but my older brother served in that war.

Your right is is a sticky situation does the US go after him now? do we wait? if we go now will we look like a big bully... if we wait are we just chicken....

we dont need to over react nor should we under react.... what ever the corse, may it be the right one

Saddam is a threat to isreal. He openly states that he is by his rash statements and attacks during the gulf war. I dont agree with how america brow beats everybody in a gloabalist fashion. But if we are going to go that route though. We should do it right. That means going in there and doing the damn job. Political correctness makes absolutes that dont really exist. If we are going to be good. We need to go all the way. If we are going to be evil. likewise we need to go all the way. For good or for evil, we need to either get the hell out of the whole situation with saddam, or go in there full metal and kick his ass out of there.

There comes a point where you have to do something. No one really did much when Hitler was in power until it was too late. I would rather get rid of Saddam then have to deal with whatever he is planning a few years from now when he is that much more stronger.

Killing sadam would be bad. as would keeping a military presence in the middel east.

if sadam was killed. someone much worse could take over. Right now its just iraq threatning people ect. Someone else could come and start invading isreal and iran ect.

We are in alota hot water for keeping a base in suadi arabi. think if we had a perment military presence in iraq? how that would be.

Ditto on what Gob and TMA posted.

If we dont do it now... we can't 'should have' when it's too late...

Off Topic- I saw a movie and cant remember the name but it was about the possiblilty of Necular war and trying to stop it. The President was held up in a small lil hich town and he ad to make his executive decisions, pretty much in front of the whole town. Everybody was picking sides... drop the bomb! no dont... think of the ppl.... turn em into crispy critters..... and in the end the president did send the nukes... but only because Hussein (yeah thats right it was supposed to be one of his descendants) send them first...

I wont spoil movie for you... but it was good... just wish i could remember name... i will search on web...

hahahhahaha Saddam has caused SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much damage over the years and he just causes more and more every year. i remember having my parents drag me to a 3 hr documentary at the Cinesphere that was *only* about the huge environmental hazards he caused by burning tons of oil after the Gulf War, or something like that. needless to say, it was one of the 3 boringest hours of my life, but from that i learned: "Wow, this guy is doing lots of really bad stuff that most people don't even *KNOW ABOUT*! (ie: the oil fires)"

yet over 10 years later he is still around and just the same bad boy that he's always been. ROFL After all this time USA *still* hasn't stopped him.

they must be waiting until he uses some of the nuclear weapons he's been stockpiling to nuke a few millions US citizens. ;D

Even with a small nuclear weapon hitting D.C. the fallout would still probably reach Nav in Ontario. Glad you find the possible deaths of a few million people funny, especially if the fallout can possibly make thousands deaths torturously slow with cancer. That's the thing with nuclear weapons Nav, the initial blast is kind to those it kills, the fallout kills slowly, mutated plants and animal life can still be found around Hiroshima, and that atom bomb is nothing compared to what is in countries' arsenals now.