New Dune

Green_Atriedes

No, because the main carracters, houses and the basis for the univers is clear in the first books. It becomes a bit more extended in the last ones but I don't think that information is nessesary in able to understand the story line of the New Dune Books.

It is however needed to have a better understanding of the "univers" and events that happen in the first books.

Gryphon is correct read the first books (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Dune Heretics and Chapterhouse Dune) written by Frank Herbert if possible. Reading the series as it was written by Frank Herbert first will help you understand the Duniverse. The prequels attempt to set the stage for the events of the Frank Herbert's books.  

Gunseng_Harkonnen is trying to say the new novels (House Atreides, House Harkonnen and House Corrino) take place years (the exact timeline is not important at the moment) before the original series written by Frank Herbert.

I said that before you read houses books, you don`t need read all series, you can read only the first parts and you will know enough about Dune world. This isn`t connection with Houses books and e. g. God Emperor, this take place thousend years after events that are in Dune and more of characters died exept son of Paul.

That makes more sense than what you posted before excuse me for my misunderstanding of what you were saying (do you see how your first post could also be related to what I posted). I should have not tried to speak for you but I wanted to make it clearer for the person asking the question.

To make this more clear...

Ideally: read all six (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor, Heretics and Chapterhouse)

Definitely: read Dune itself.

But if you are short on time or patience: read Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. (ie the first 3)

Actualy (In my opinion) books should be read by a storyline and when i read Dune after all the prequels it was understandable and if you're new Dune reader , you should begin from the prequels cause Frank puts more science and philosophy less action... Though Frank created Dune but House Corrino is the best for me ;)

CoD was good end of history of Paul`s family. And it wasn`t boring, it was last where Dune world looked like Dune world.

It was boring, twice I just stopped reading because I got bored (last year I finally finished it  :))