ESSAY

daniel

right no im sitting at home doing an essay on dune...and im doing a pretty bad job lol.....anywaz is ther anyone who wants to help me just post it here  ;D

my main points are characters, plot and setting.

the characters im talking about are : PAUL atreieds, Baron harkonneon, leto, jessica, Yeuh , Kynes, and Shaddam

okai ppl im DONE!!!!

well most of the damn essay anywaz........im going to post it here.....OGB hope it doesnt violate any rules....

ill put them in difrent post..no i dont want the extra posts (yogurt) just so plp can shoose who wants to read wut on each hcaracter

ppl please post ur mssgs here and tell me if its good or not.,if u se any mistakes tell me whcih number post it is and ill correct it with ur thnxz in it l8er : )

For this critical response I will talk about the characters of Dune. In the book Dune there are many different characters. Every character is special and different from one another. But I will only mention the ones that I believe are the most important to the Book Dune.

The characters I will talk about are Paul Atreides, Baron Harkonnens, Jessica Atreides, Piter de Vries, Dr. Wellington Yueh, and the Emperor Shaddam Corrino. For each one I will give a physical description, a bit of their lives and what I find that separates them from the rest of the characters.

.  Paul Atreides is the main character of Dune. He is the son and heir of Leto Atreides the Duke of Caladan that is the home planet of the Atreides. He is strong, brave and is considered a child prodigy. Paul has light brown hair and tanned skin that was caused because from the intense heat on Dune because he is staying in the desert his eyes turn blue as a side effect of to much spice. Paul is also the Kwisatz Haderach the only man who could look into the future and control space and time without any troubles and the goal of the Bene Gesserit, though he was a mistake and he came to quick into the world his entrance into the world of Dune makes him the most powerful person, even stronger than the emperor himself. His family is overthrown by his fathers Arch enemy during their stay on Dune by Baron Harkonnen and the traitor Dr. Yueh who I will talk about soon Paul ages throughout the entire book from a young boy to a full adult during his exile in the desert while his enemies think he is dead. It is there where he forges an alliance with the natives of Dune the Fremen and is given the name Usul Muad’dib and marries to the daughter of Kynes: Chani. Kynes like the Fremen also considered Paul a god for his father was an imperial ecologist with the dream of creating Dune into a beautiful paradise. Kynes aids in the escape of Paul but perishes in the hands of the Harkonnens.  While in the desert Paul slowly uses Bene Gesserit training which he learned from his mother to become the most powerful leader of the Fremen and is able to regain his throne in the end.

Paul has only one other sibling who is his sister. Her name is Alia; Alia is also considered another child prodigy borne from Jessica. Alia just like Paul is also a mistake in the Bene Gesserit breeding program.  What I find very disturbing yet fascinating about Paul is that although he keeps his royal presence within him he seems to have another personality. A Fremen personality which he calls himself Muad’dib this is the barbaric powerful Paul yet also the one who can see into the future.

Jessica Atreides is the concubine of Leto Atreides and the mother of Paul Atreides. She is extremely beautiful. She is shorter than the Duke Leto, has hazel brown eyes and bronze hair as well as an aura of power surrounding her, furthermore she is extremely intelligent and powerful. She is so powerful that just by using her voice she could make any man do whatever she wanted; this is known as the “voice” which could only mean one thing. Jessica is a Bene Gesserit: a culture full of women who are attempting to create the Kwisatz Haderach through breeding programs. Jessica was made concubine to the Duke Leto only to breed a daughter who would create the Bene Gesserit god. Instead she conceived a boy who was Paul. At first she does not know that he is the Kwisatz Haderach and treats him like any ordinary boy until in the desert she finds out. Jessica becomes concerned over both her safety as well as Paul’s. Probably the most disturbing part of Jessica is that she herself is the daughter of the Baron Harkonnen when he raped her mother. However she does not even know until her own son looks into the past and tells her that he himself is the grandson of the Baron Harkonnen.

Piter de Vries- a cunning and evil man, he is the  “henchman” of Baron Harkonnen, he is also a Mentat or a Human computer ever since the Butlerian Jihad against “thinking machines” (i.e. computers). Piter is almost and exact opposite of the Atreides Mentat Hawat.

Piter is a small man shorter than the Baron and his facial features make him look almost like a rat with blue eyes caused by his extensive use of Spice to help him see into the future. Almost every single character in the book views him as a corrupt Mentat and very dangerous to be near.

Though there is not much known about Dr. Wellington Yueh for he is not a major character in the book, though he is a very important character in the book. He can almost be portrayed as an innocent bystander who has gone mad for revenge on the Baron Harkonnen who he suspects to have killed his wife who was also a Bene Gesserit.

Yueh is a conditioned Suk doctor, which means that he is the most trusted of all doctors, so trusted that he could even serve the Emperor himself, however the Baron Harkonnen with the help of Piter was able to “bend” Yueh brain to go against orders and used Yueh to capture Leto. Yueh was not a full traitor though. He aided in the escape of Paul and Jessica into the desert and while he was capturing the Duke he booby-trapped the Duke, which resulted in the death of Piter the Vries shortly after his murder by the hands of Piter. Yueh physical appearance seems almost Asian, he has dark brown eyes and black hair as well as long black moustaches that droop downwards to his mouth.

Yueh is a man whose mind has gone corrupt and he knows it though he cannot stop what he is doing. He is the only villain who I ever pitied.

Emperor Shaddam Corrino he is the emperor of the Imperium, which is inhabited by humans and extends to millions of planets. He collaborated with the Baron Harkonnen to overthrow his distant cousin the Duke Leto Atreides on Dune by offering military assistance with the most deadly army in the “known universe” the Sardaukar. The reason Shaddam did this was because he was afraid of Leto who had the resources of creating an army stronger and larger than his own forces while the Duke was in control of Dune. The physical appearance of the emperor is not mentioned in very much detail in the book, but I do know that he is always wearing a high ranking Sardaukar officers uniform as well as a helmet in the place of a crown. Shaddam is very stubborn and throughout the book he believes that he has all the power and everyone must obey to him.

Baron Harkonnen is the villain of the book Dune he is the one who plotted the assassination of the Duke Leto Atreides. Once a strong and normal person he was cursed with a lifelong disease after he raped Jessica’s mother who was also a Bene Gesserit which made him the man he is now an extremely fat and balding man. So fat that he needs suspensors to keep himself walking. The Baron has red hair and dark hazel eyes. The same as his own daughter: Jessica. Ironically Alia his own granddaughter in the end of the book murders The Baron.

The most disgusting part of the Baron is probably the fact that he is an extremely Homosexual person. He hates Leto very much but for Paul he has sexual feelings for

:O :O :O :O OMG! :O :O :O :O

"The most disgusting part of the Baron is probably the fact that he is an extremely Homosexual person."

I am certainly not gay but if I met you I would smack you in the face! ;D

I think however that you didn't mean it that way and just try to say the Baron himself is looking discusting...

You better change the sentence though.

yup thnxz for the advice.....this is just a rough draft....i mean he kinda is...though....lingin up men just so he can look at them..and well should i say its disgusting cause he um.....*bleep* boys at the age of like 10!!!

dont be offended ppl....its just an essay...lol  :P

january 18 i also haf to do an essay on the society of dune....u can help if u want.......im talking about the guild, bene gressit, SPice , war, weaponds..theres an excleent article on dune2k about how techniology of shields make guns obsolete lol

almost like an medival future ..

here are mah main points:::

I will talk about the society of Dune.

Bene Gressit

Guild

Weapons

Society

Fremen

Empire

hmmm, that's....sick. It seems like a large project, are you supposed to analyze the entire book, phew. I would have loved to do an essay on Dune, perhaps the only thing I would had loved in school. Hey you could use some of the parrallels from the bible (take it you've seen Mahdi's post.) that could give some points.

I was bored and thought it a good idea to help, so her is the essay I’ve wrote for you on the society of Dune:

Bene Gesserit:

These are all female mystical group who are trained in minute observation and prediction as well as a skill known as the voice, which can control a man, just by the subtleness of its tone and pitch. Their aim is to produce a Kwisatz Haderach the joining of the way, a man who can use the Bene Gesserit training and can see were women cannot. They plan to do this by crossbreeding certain bloodlines, which have the most likelihood of creating one. Because of their foresight they know that members of their order may be stranded on backward planets such as Arrakis or as it is commonly known Dune, because of this the (you know what I’m talking about I’ve forgotten what its called) was formed they indocterated many peoples in beliefs that a Bene Gesserit “witch” would come and lead them to glory. It is this, which saved Lady Jessica and her son from death at the hands of the Fremen.

The Spacing guild

These are the navigators, which fly any form of spacecraft. They have become warped by the vast quantities of spice they consume. To fly spacecraft is risky but because the spice gives foresight it is possible to take the easiest, safest and shortest way to their destination. This has led to them becoming very rich but also corrupt and decadent for they use the same thinking in everything they do.

Weapons

In this field there has been much regression mainly because of three developments. First the shields these repel anything that tries to get passed them unless they go at a slow pace, this has brought close combat weapons back to war most favourably swords and knives. One drawback of using shields on Arrakis is that they attract the worms in open desert and so are sneered at by the Fremen.  Secondly the lasgun these weapons are deadly to unshielded foes but if used against someone with an active shield both firer and defender will be destroyed, this is known as the Holtzman effect. Often shields are placed by an army were they think an enemy may fire so it blows up and kills them. Thirdly are atomics, a cold war is going on within the landsraad each house has sufficient atomics to destroy 50 planetary bases each despite the fact that the great convention outlaws these devastating weapons.

Fremen

The Fremen are descendents of the Zensusi wanders who were slaves throughout the galaxy. They came to rest on Dune and stayed there. They are masters of stealth and fighting with their ceremonial cry knives. They worship the worms who they call the Shai Halud, they also ride them to travel across the desert quickly and they uses their babies to make the water of life which if drunk straight away is a poison if however it is “changed” by a reverend mother it becomes a mild narcotic. The Fremen's dream is to turn Dune into a verdant water bearing life-giving planet and with the help of Paul who they call Muad Dib this may become a reality. Paul became their leader and messiah, their Liasan Al Giab (the voice from the outer world) and with his Fedakin warriors who’s battle cry is Ya Hya Chouada, which means long live the fighters he leads them on a jihad to reclaim his noble families stature and to overthrow the evil emperor and his sardukar legions. They are a resourceful, strong, traditional, practical and resilient people and live in caves in the deep desert known as sietches. They also have very ridged laws on water discipline and so they wear stillsuits which reclaim all the bodies water from sweat, urine and water vapour.

I’m afraid you’ll have to do the emperor one yourself

You can do what you like with this but I like English so I thought I might as well try to help a fellow Dune fanatic