House Hakonnen: any thoughts ?

cochonou

The novel House Harkonnen has just come out, and it won't be translated into my native language before a long time.

I could read the novel in English, however I'm reluctant to do so just to find that the book turns out to be just uninteresting. I've had mixed feelings about House Atreides... by itself, the book wasn't bad, however it didn't really stand the comparaison to the original dune books, and I just couldn't find in the book what made me love so much novels like the Emperor God of Dune. It was like a Dune fix without the flavour.

So, any thoughts about it ?

From the descriptions I've heard of it, it's going to be even worse than HA, with many, many more descripancys. (Leto marrying an outlawed princess and fighting an evil emperor with a lasgun. Sounds more like star wars than dune.)

• 8 months later...

I think it is ok. Not great. Sure it shows a lot about Gurney and why he hates the Harks so much. It also shows Rabban's stupidity and excessive use of brute force. Really attack a Bene Gesserit school with a ship that in the novels themselves isn't going to be invented for thousands of years.

I am not finding the same feeling I got when I read the series when FH was alive and writing it. I truly feel like something is missing from these additions to the Dune Legend. Could it be "spice".  :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Damn i cant agree with you more.  I personally like Every house. But the Most favorite is the Harkonnen and Ordos.

The Atreides are just wimps who cant even hit a 1 ton duck in the air. Yet they run away like chickens themselfs if they have to fight.

P.S

Or cry?

House Harkonnen was cool, it appealed to Feyd Rauttah... I agree it wasn't the quality of Frank Herbert. It is better than the crappy Star Wars stuff, which floods the market. I read House Harkonnen in English as well. It has yet to be translated in Bulgarian...

I want the Dune Encyclopedia *sigh*