Extracting sfx with "BagTool"

katz

I've pulled some of the sfx from Emperor and they're fine. Some of them, however, are rather weird! Using "BagTool" to extract them. Using "CoolEdit" and "WinAmp" to hear them. What, if anything, am I doing wrong? Are the samples in some weird "wav" format, that even "CoolEdit" doesn't recognise, or am I simply lacking in an encoder, or summat? Figured that one of you knowledgable types would know the answer... ;)

cant help you there, i had same experiance some sfx were ok and some were just horrible (ie to much background static or something). Maybe some one in dune editing maybe able to help you... don't be surprised if your topic finds its way there.... they have a habit of moving around a bit ;D so if you come back and your topics gone try looking in dune editing forum before you go crazy ;D what am i saying if they move your topic before you read this then you wont have any idea where to look or what happened, and now im rambeling.... sorry bout that ;D

Well, it's not strictly editing, so I'll leave it here.

You have found the problems with the .cmp format. I've noticed that there may be a relationship with the .aud format, used by D2000 and TS... look for a downloadable program called Aud2wav on fed2k, and see if any combination of decoding the .cmps through a2w and from mp3 to wav with CoolEdit or something.

Thanks! I'll do as you suggest and report back... When you have a subject, like this, it's difficult to know which forum is best suited, innit? I always sorta assumed that this forum was OK for almost anything to do with Emperor, so I plumped for that. Did something weird, the other day... Played Dune 2 for the first time in ages! It has a certain playability, doesn't it? :D

I don't think it's an error in extraction... I think it's an odd format, since other files in the same baf seem to work (eg hk_devastator_1d), but I may be wrong. Note that you can't change and save bag files using DuneEx.