Custom units no Tooltip Help!

maltebyte02

3 hours ago, maltebyte02 said:

Hey all,

Im just making new units like a Stealth Tank for Ordos and its working just would like to know how to change the image and how to add tooltip when i hover over the unit image?

Many thanks!

You need to add an entry on the "text.uib".

first, create your own text.uib (copy and paste the original and then rename it).

Then go here and download the toolkit
https://d2kplus.com/d2k-toolkit/

The tool from this pack you need to use is the string table editor.

Open your custom text.uib, and go to the bottom of the file. If you are using gruntmods you may find that there are lines after the credits, either way, after the credits you will have several lines empty.
You need to write on the left the name of your unit as how appears on the editor, and on the right, the name you want to appear in game.

image.png.cd969538316b5f21b839700a03e6a3d1.png

Using the DH as example, on the text uib on the left will appear "Death_Hand" and on the right "Death Hand Rocket", on the right is the name it appears in game, on the left is just to know which unit is.

So, in your case, whatever name you gave on "group" it has to be written on the left, and the name you want to appear on the right.

Don't forget later to add the "text.uib file:" reference to load your values.

image.png.f5409fdf675d9916cce73d920c9e382e.png

8 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

first, create your own text.uib (copy and paste the original and then rename it).

Open your custom text.uib, and go to the bottom of the file. If you are using gruntmods you may find that there are lines after the credits, either way, after the credits you will have several lines empty.
You need to write on the left the name of your unit as how appears on the editor, and on the right, the name you want to appear in game.

Using the DH as example, on the text uib on the left will appear "Death_Hand" and on the right "Death Hand Rocket", on the right is the name it appears in game, on the left is just to know which unit is.

So, in your case, whatever name you gave on "group" it has to be written on the left, and the name you want to appear on the right.

Left and right you mean "up" and "down" cause Name is above Group... just bit confusing! and where do i find this "text.uib". file ? Thanks bro!

Edited by maltebyte02

Just now, maltebyte02 said:

Left and right you mean up and down cause Name is above Group... just bit confusing! and where do i find this "text.uib". file ? Thanks bro!

no, I mean left and right on the text.uib.
If you open the text.uib with the tool I referenced, it has a list of many rows.
on the left is code-names, on the right the names or whatever stuff.

So, on the left you have A4V1; and on the right the whole briefing of the 4º mission on the Atreides campaign.

Text uib is on "Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA"

1 minute ago, Cm_blast said:

no, I mean left and right on the text.uib.
If you open the text.uib with the tool I referenced, it has a list of many rows.
on the left is code-names, on the right the names or whatever stuff.

So, on the left you have A4V1; and on the right the whole briefing of the 4º mission on the Atreides campaign.

Text uib is on "Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA"

And one dumb question i hope you sitting down! xD ... How do i install this ToolkitR1.zip do i just extract its contents  into the root of dune2000 dir?

thanks again for the help!

Just now, maltebyte02 said:

And one dumb question i hope you sitting down! xD ... How do i install this ToolkitR1.zip do i just extract its contents  into the root of dune2000 dir?

thanks again for the help!

You can have the tool kit in any folder you want. The tool kit has 5 different tools, but you only really need one of them.
just be sure to copy the file "text.uib" an rename it, so you can preserve the original file.

8 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

You can have the tool kit in any folder you want. The tool kit has 5 different tools, but you only really need one of them.
just be sure to copy the file "text.uib" an rename it, so you can preserve the original file.

So i have a backup now of "text.uib" and can i now open the original file located in "Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA" and just overwrite it? And what do i name "text.uib" ? "customunit.uib" ? then i place it back into "Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA" ? can it even read "customunit.uib" or do i leave it "text.uib" so the file can be read by the game engine? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, maltebyte02 said:

So i have a backup now of "text.uib" and can i now open the original file located in "Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA" and just overwrite it? And what do i name "text.uib" ? "customunit.uib" ? then i place it back into "Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA" ? can it even read "customunit.uib" or do i leave it "text.uib" so the file can be read by the game engine? Thanks!

no need to back up.
Copy text.uib
give your new text.uib a custom name "textmaltebyte02.uib" or whatever name you want.
later on the dune2k editor you can tell it to load the strings from your own version, so you don't need to overwrite the original nor move files around.
Just keep both the original and your custom text.uib on the same folder.

I post it the screenshot early, there is a "text.uib file:" if you deploy that thing it will appear the list of all the .uib files, you probably will see others if you played other custom campaigns already, so you can mimick that.

Edited by Cm_blast

11 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

no need to back up.
Copy text.uib
give your new text.uib a custom name "textmaltebyte02.uib" or whatever name you want.
later on the dune2k editor you can tell it to load the strings from your own version, so you don't need to overwrite the original nor move files around.
Just keep both the original and your custom text.uib on the same folder.

I post it the screenshot early, there is a "text.uib file:" if you deploy that thing it will appear the list of all the .uib files, you probably will see others if you played other custom campaigns already, so you can mimick that.

Sounds a bit scary So if i load in the "textmaltebyte02.uib" i also keep the original backup so nothing can go wrong ? i dont wanna break the game!

1 minute ago, maltebyte02 said:

Sounds a bit scary So if i load in the "textmaltebyte02.uib" i also keep the original backup so nothing can go wrong ? i dont wanna break the game!

you copy text.uib just to have the template to edit it later, but as long as you only edit your own file everything will be fine.
just leave text.uib on their own.

3 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

you copy text.uib just to have the template to edit it later, but as long as you only edit your own file everything will be fine.
just leave text.uib on their own.

Ok Thanks for the help! Was greatly appreciated!! Also do you know is there a way to add other people's custom units? and can i share my Custom Tank with the community, or is it not possible to share units only?

1 minute ago, maltebyte02 said:

Ok Thanks for the help! Was greatly appreciated!! Also do you know is there a way to add other people's custom units? and can i share my Custom Tank with the community, or is it not possible to share units only?

I don't know if you are using the folder "CustomCampaignData" for all the stuff you are editing, so you don't overwritte anything on the original.

if you want to know how, I recommend checking on the root of your dune 2000 folder, on the side of "mission, data , gamesave" and all those folders you probably have one called "CustomCampaignData"; and inside, if you played the war of assasins campaigns you probably have a few folders inside.

Check those you can copy the same folder and the same pathing to apply to you.

Later, when you have the campaign done, no top of sharing the missions, you also share the Customcampaign data folder (but only your part) so I can apply any change you have done.

If you haven't done the CustomcampaignData yet, I suggest to do it as soon as possible and again, use the war of assasin as template since you will see inside multiple folders, you create the folders on your own with the name you want and on the editor, later, you can also tell "load the custom stuff from this CCD folder", which later when you share to other people they will load the custom stuff also from there.

the CustomcampaignData means that we don't need to do back ups on anything, the launcher will load the modded stuff and, once you have finished/exit the mission, the launcher will revert the changes back.

10 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

I don't know if you are using the folder "CustomCampaignData" for all the stuff you are editing, so you don't overwritte anything on the original.

if you want to know how, I recommend checking on the root of your dune 2000 folder, on the side of "mission, data , gamesave" and all those folders you probably have one called "CustomCampaignData"; and inside, if you played the war of assasins campaigns you probably have a few folders inside.

Check those you can copy the same folder and the same pathing to apply to you.

Later, when you have the campaign done, no top of sharing the missions, you also share the Customcampaign data folder (but only your part) so I can apply any change you have done.

If you haven't done the CustomcampaignData yet, I suggest to do it as soon as possible and again, use the war of assasin as template since you will see inside multiple folders, you create the folders on your own with the name you want and on the editor, later, you can also tell "load the custom stuff from this CCD folder", which later when you share to other people they will load the custom stuff also from there.

the CustomcampaignData means that we don't need to do back ups on anything, the launcher will load the modded stuff and, once you have finished/exit the mission, the launcher will revert the changes back.

I did not know all of this information, i just open the mission i want to change then change everything for that mission including units! So i dont think those units will be available in other missions then!? Lost of information to digest for now.

I think the editor warn you about it the first time you try to do it, and yes, lots of information, there are many steps if you want to have all the stuff:
-modded game
-being able to revert back to vanilla game while playing other missions
-sharing easily with others.

The main thing I recommend is starting entering on the Customcampaigndata folder.
inside create a folder with the name you want, which will be "your main mod".
so:
Customcampaigndata/maltebyte02mainmod (the name can be anyone you want)
then, inside that folder, create a new folder, this one will be your "submod", since you can create a campaign that uses different mods each time, but even if you will use just 1 single mod, you still need that folder.
so:
Customcampaigndata/maltebyte02mainmod/maltebyte02submod (also any name you want)

and inside you need to create "data" folder (this name)
and inside "data" you need to create "bin".

so later, when on the editor you tell your mission to load your mod, the game will create multiple files into that specific folders once you save the changes on your new units or whatever, so you mod will be stored there.

there are other stuff, but at least that's the most basic thing you need.
you can do also on "data" a "ui_data" to store you custom.text uib if you want, but since this file has a different name you can do that later, it won't be any issue.

yes, its lot's to tackle at once.

Edited by Cm_blast

9 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

I think the editor warn you about it the first time you try to do it, and yes, lots of information, there are many steps if you want to have all the stuff:
-modded game
-being able to revert back to vanilla game while playing other missions
-sharing easily with others.

The main thing I recommend is starting entering on the Customcampaigndata folder.
inside create a folder with the name you want, which will be "your main mod".
so:
Customcampaigndata/maltebyte02mainmod (the name can be anyone you want)
then, inside that folder, create a new folder, this one will be your "submod", since you can create a campaign that uses different mods each time, but even if you will use just 1 single mod, you still need that folder.
so:
Customcampaigndata/maltebyte02mainmod/maltebyte02submod (also any name you want)

and inside you need to create "data" folder (this name)
and inside "data" you need to create "bin".

so later, when on the editor you tell your mission to load your mod, the game will create multiple files into that specific folders once you save the changes on your new units or whatever, so you mod will be stored there.

there are other stuff, but at least that's the most basic thing you need.
you can do also on "data" a "ui_data" to store you custom.text uib if you want, but since this file has a different name you can do that later, it won't be any issue.

yes, its lot's to tackle at once.

Thanks for the info Fedaykin! I think these are the templates WOL_S inside D:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\CustomCampaignData\WarOfTheLandsraad ?? I will take some time to understand and test things out! Also you are on youtube no? I think i have seen some channel by the name Fedaykin so i think its you! :) Have a Great Weekend bro!

Edited by maltebyte02

Fedaykin is a forum thing, my user name is Cm_Blast but yeah, there are an actual person which uses Fedaykin as his name, both of us have a channel with some dune 2000 stuff on it but you probably are thinking on him since he uses that name.

Good luck with that, it is kind of hard and take a while to learn, but once you have done it you can apply your mod; just keep in consideration that not all the files you see on the other guy folder are not necesary, some are just tilesets (so to load the new maps) and stuff like that. I think the "data/bin" and the "ui_data" ones are the most important and basic to keep the new units stuff, "colour" if you don't use new color for your units you don't need neither so, that makes thins more easy to pick up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 1:09 PM, Cm_blast said:

Yeah this is too complicated for me! as i am a visual learner! for example what you show me in the images the bottom image it looks completley different when i open text.uib file in the String Table Editor. hmmm maybe some day i will get it!