Errors and bugs, suggestions.

Dimka

Good time of day. Straight to the point. Mistakes:

• During the capture of the Harkonnen/Emperor heavy factory Instead of the heavy tank, the thumper infantry appears. At the same time, when hovering with the mouse, it is written that this is a heavy tank. At the same time, the type of game with different types of tanks will only be in the game mode "War on the Landsraad". In other modes we have only one "Combat tank".

• When trying to deploy the MCV when playing for some dynasties, etc., the game crashes with the error "Cannot find correct construction yard" (

For example, when playing for Atreides in the "War on the Landsraad" missions (in mission 3), when trying to deploy MCV, this error crashes the game if I change dynasty to Fremen in Debug mode.

Wishes:

• Gun Turret and Prototype Gun Turret are the same building that appears depending on how the game was launched. If you use the "Mission select launcher" to select a game for the emperor in the "War on the Landsraad" section, then Prototype Gun Turret will be available in the game. In all other cases, there is a regular(Gun) turret. By the way, with such different launches of the game, the color of the commands also changes. For example, a blue team can turn brown when loading the game, etc. You can do both of these turrets in any game modes. They are effective against different types of units and complement each other well.

• Make it possible to create many units at once by clicking on a unit several times in a row. So that the factory automatically builds more than one unit.

• Make a feature to buildings – automatic repair buildings in case of any damage. In order not to click on each wrench every time.

• Make it possible to build different types of tanks (Heavy, Medium, Light) in all game modes, not just in "War on the Landsraad".

• Make it possible to build different heavy factories when capturing another Construction yard. For example, if we initially play as Harkonnen CY, then when capturing Atreides CY, we should be able to build Atreides Heavy Factory, since they have a different tank (medium tank), and also have a Sonic Tank. And this is logical, because we confiscated their technology.

I'm asking developers to fix bugs and make changes to the game in the next version. Thanks.

• During the capture of the Harkonnen/Emperor heavy factory Instead of the heavy tank, the thumper infantry appears. At the same time, when hovering with the mouse, it is written that this is a heavy tank. At the same time, the type of game with different types of tanks will only be in the game mode "War on the Landsraad". In other modes we have only one "Combat tank".

I think the author is aware of certain issues with this, but overall, he created 3 versions of the combat tank, which it is the reason why the game sais "heavy-medium-light" tanks depending on the side. He just used the slot of other units to be able to have 3 different names.

When trying to deploy the MCV when playing for some dynasties, etc., the game crashes with the error "Cannot find correct construction yard" (

This is something that happens on any mission if you play with that color. Unless it is a modded campaign, the game will always crash if the "sandworm" side (light brown) deploys a CY, because on the original game the "sandworm" side doesn't own any of the 4 Construction Yards available; so when a MCV is deployed, the game cannot find the building and it crash.

If you play my Ixian campaign "Master of Tencnology" and, assuming you have all the files in the correct place, the Mission launcher will temporary mod the game to give the "Sandworm" side an actual CY letting the game to deploy a MCV without any issue. <-- Just take in consideration that "sandworm" not being able to deploy a CY is something that happens in the original game and it may never got fixed because outside custom campaigns you never can't play as that index.

For example, when playing for Atreides in the "War on the Landsraad" missions (in mission 3), when trying to deploy MCV, this error crashes the game if I change dynasty to Fremen in Debug mode.

Although it is sais "Fremen", the side you are switching use an index that it is the same as the "Sandworm", so it is going to happen the same issue as commented before.

Gun Turret and Prototype Gun Turret are the same building that appears depending on how the game was launched. If you use the "Mission select launcher" to select a game for the emperor in the "War on the Landsraad" section, then Prototype Gun Turret will be available in the game. In all other cases, there is a regular(Gun) turret. By the way, with such different launches of the game, the color of the commands also changes. For example, a blue team can turn brown when loading the game, etc. You can do both of these turrets in any game modes. They are effective against different types of units and complement each other well.

The author went simple in terms of modding, and decided to give only the autogun turret for the prologue. He just overwrote the gun turret with the autogun turret for those early missions.

If you go play my last campaign: "Tleilaxu Infestation"; I added that turret so the 3 are available, although only for the enemy, the player can't build it.

There is another modder that it is creating a campaign which have the 3 turrets available, but that campaign doesn't far a release date yet, but if you go play "Flippi's" campaign (Atreides/Ordos) you have access to the 3 turrets, all at once and available during the campaign, so you can go and play those.

Make it possible to create many units at once by clicking on a unit several times in a row. So that the factory automatically builds more than one unit.

This was done many years ago, but after a while it was completely removed to avoid online games to be affected by it and nowadays the queue patch no longer works and I doub anybody will ever add it again.

Make a feature to buildings – automatic repair buildings in case of any damage. In order not to click on each wrench every time.

It is possible to do it with events. forcing things to be repaired; I never had done it, but I feel it is possible as I made once to avoid 1 building to be repaired at all (you can click to repair it, but the reparation stops as soon as you click).

Make it possible to build different types of tanks (Heavy, Medium, Light) in all game modes, not just in "War on the Landsraad".

Like I mentioned, this is just because a mod. To have 3 different tanks you must create 3 different-table-named units.
If you mod this for your custom mission is fine, but if you mod this for the regular game or other missions it is going to have other issues (such the game giving drops from the wrong version of the tank or just crashing because is searching for an unit that it doesn't exist on vanilla game).

Make it possible to build different heavy factories when capturing another Construction yard. For example, if we initially play as Harkonnen CY, then when capturing Atreides CY, we should be able to build Atreides Heavy Factory, since they have a different tank (medium tank), and also have a Sonic Tank. And this is logical, because we confiscated their technology.

The reason it happens the way it happens is because when you deploy the heavy factory, the game checks which house you are to give you that specific factory. So if you are Harkonnen, you will get the Harkonnen heavy factory regarless of the CY.

But it is possible, once again, with modding. you must split the generic "heavy factory" into 3 with certain things on the editor, making that the 3 heavy factories are considered 3 buildings.

Needless to say, this is a complete campaign that besides any major bug I doub the author will ever add anything of that. And all the features mentioned like having 3 different combat tanks that you can build at the same time, 3 different heavy factories and so on is something that it has to do with the creator of the specific campaign. For example, "War of The Landsraad" campaign uses the mods the author intented, and if you play my Tleilaxu Infestation you will see a different set of mods like a new building that you are given that, you cannot build, but being there it will produce infantry for the player in a loop.

Or, if you go and play my "Coalition of Nobles", the campaign uses 10 different mods, so different rules are loaded per mission: for example, in 1 mission that it is more about building smart, not fast, all the units build as fast as a light infantry (but the point on the mission is building enough to survive, but not that much that you spend all the money). If even goes as far as Mission 3 has 2 versions. On mission 3a, you get traditional tech 2 but you canno't build quads, if you play mission 3b (almost the same map), you get the same tech but you cannot train troopers instead.

Unfornatelly, for the most part all these mods are non-compatible each other. Maybe they are playable, but if 1 author converted the thumper into a combat tank and you apply the mod of another campaign, you may have a random AI/player getting 7 thumpers (instead of the combat tanks you should be given) and you cannot defeat the enemy incoming attack.

I'm asking developers to fix bugs and make changes to the game in the next version. Thanks.

Just to be clear. The "developer" of patching the game usually focus more on making the game compatible with modern windows (the most recent windows 11 patch) and not altering the game.

The creation of campaigns are all fan mades and any mods it goes with the vision of the creator. A modder called Fey has created like 20 new units, like a Shotgunner (light a light infantry but with more damage but lower range); the flame tank, the duelist tank, the flank quad... all having new in graphics, and I think he created multi-factories, like, many many different factories so maybe in the future you will get to play a campaign with all you want.

And Feda, the author of the Landsraad, is also working on a naval war minicampaign, like a prologue for a new incoming campaign, so anything can happen.

Pd: As a recommendation. Everytime you play the war of the landsraad using his own custom windown (so not in "all mission" but the custom one) and you are finish playing, I suggest to close the whole launcher. There is a bit of a bug that if you play war of the landsraad from that windown, exit the game and load a different mission certain mod may still trigger, so instead of the vanilla combat tank you will be given thumpers and things like that. Feda, the author of the launcher is aware of this and will be fixed for a next update.

Edited by Cm_blast

7 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I think the author is aware of certain issues with this, but overall, he created 3 versions of the combat tank, which it is the reason why the game sais "heavy-medium-light" tanks depending on the side. He just used the slot of other units to be able to have 3 different names.

And what prevents  from creating 2 more slots for two other tanks? Why not add these three types to the whole game, not just mods?

This is something that happens on any mission if you play with that color. Unless it is a modded campaign, the game will always crash if the "sandworm" side (light brown) deploys a CY, because on the original game the "sandworm" side doesn't own any of the 4 Construction Yards available; so when a MCV is deployed, the game cannot find the building and it crash.

If you play my Ixian campaign "Master of Tencnology" and, assuming you have all the files in the correct place, the Mission launcher will temporary mod the game to give the "Sandworm" side an actual CY letting the game to deploy a MCV without any issue. <-- Just take in consideration that "sandworm" not being able to deploy a CY is something that happens in the original game and it may never got fixed because outside custom campaigns you never can't play as that index.

Although it is sais "Fremen", the side you are switching use an index that it is the same as the "Sandworm", so it is going to happen the same issue as commented before.

The same question - what prevents from creating a new CY for the "sandworm?" And not only for the "sandworm", but also for all eight teams? Even in the original campaigns?

Is it technically difficult to implement? This solves a lot of problems at once. And with tanks, and with MCV.

The author went simple in terms of modding, and decided to give only the autogun turret for the prologue. He just overwrote the gun turret with the autogun turret for those early missions.

If you go play my last campaign: "Tleilaxu Infestation"; I added that turret so the 3 are available, although only for the enemy, the player can't build it.

There is another modder that it is creating a campaign which have the 3 turrets available, but that campaign doesn't far a release date yet, but if you go play "Flippi's" campaign (Atreides/Ordos) you have access to the 3 turrets, all at once and available during the campaign, so you can go and play those.

You have explained how it is implemented. I understand. But the suggestion is the same - add a slot for another turret. Is there a problem with this? If you can easily change a slot from one turret to another, then what prevents from simply making a new one by copying a piece of the game code?

This was done many years ago, but after a while it was completely removed to avoid online games to be affected by it and nowadays the queue patch no longer works and I doub anybody will ever add it again.

That's where it's unclear. How does this interfere with the game? This only helps - there is no need to press the "Building" button 20 times.

It is possible to do it with events. forcing things to be repaired; I never had done it, but I feel it is possible as I made once to avoid 1 building to be repaired at all (you can click to repair it, but the reparation stops as soon as you click).

If there is a "repair" button, then it is easier to make the "auto repair" button than to pour tea. And it's easy to do for the WHOLE game. Not just for mods. For example, I repaired the building - the repair is over. A minute later, a siege tank attacks and damages 3-4 turrets. Is it convenient to click on each turret for repair? It only steals time, you know.

8 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

The reason it happens the way it happens is because when you deploy the heavy factory, the game checks which house you are to give you that specific factory. So if you are Harkonnen, you will get the Harkonnen heavy factory regarless of the CY.

But it is possible, once again, with modding. you must split the generic "heavy factory" into 3 with certain things on the editor, making that the 3 heavy factories are considered 3 buildings.

I understand that. But we can double-click on CY to select priority. If Ordos CY is my priority, then the Ordos heavy factory should also be built. But it doesn't work. You don't even need to invent anything. The game has everything. You just need to bring it to mind.

Needless to say, this is a complete campaign that besides any major bug I doub the author will ever add anything of that. And all the features mentioned like having 3 different combat tanks that you can build at the same time, 3 different heavy factories and so on is something that it has to do with the creator of the specific campaign. For example, "War of The Landsraad" campaign uses the mods the author intented, and if you play my Tleilaxu Infestation you will see a different set of mods like a new building that you are given that, you cannot build, but being there it will produce infantry for the player in a loop.

Or, if you go and play my "Coalition of Nobles", the campaign uses 10 different mods, so different rules are loaded per mission: for example, in 1 mission that it is more about building smart, not fast, all the units build as fast as a light infantry (but the point on the mission is building enough to survive, but not that much that you spend all the money). If even goes as far as Mission 3 has 2 versions. On mission 3a, you get traditional tech 2 but you canno't build quads, if you play mission 3b (almost the same map), you get the same tech but you cannot train troopers instead.

Unfornatelly, for the most part all these mods are non-compatible each other. Maybe they are playable, but if 1 author converted the thumper into a combat tank and you apply the mod of another campaign, you may have a random AI/player getting 7 thumpers (instead of the combat tanks you should be given) and you cannot defeat the enemy incoming attack.

If we generalize, then all these errors are corrected. There's not much work to do here:
1) Add slots for tanks
2) Add slots under MCV
3) Add a slot for the prototype turret
4) Fix the work of CY so that when captured, the factories of another dynasty to which the captured CY belongs are displayed. If necessary, add slots for the factory
All. You don't need to do anything else. Add all this to the game, and thereby remove the dependence on mods. And then make any maps and set any parameters for them.

Just to be clear. The "developer" of patching the game usually focus more on making the game compatible with modern windows (the most recent windows 11 patch) and not altering the game.

Версия и так уже хорошо оптимизирована. Причём не только для Windows 10, но и для windows 11. У меня Windows 11 - игра идёт без проблем.

Pd: As a recommendation. Everytime you play the war of the landsraad using his own custom windown (so not in "all mission" but the custom one) and you are finish playing, I suggest to close the whole launcher. There is a bit of a bug that if you play war of the landsraad from that windown, exit the game and load a different mission certain mod may still trigger, so instead of the vanilla combat tank you will be given thumpers and things like that. Feda, the author of the launcher is aware of this and will be fixed for a next update.

right. And that's why the color of the teams sometimes changes. Depending on how the game is running.

The creation of campaigns are all fan mades and any mods it goes with the vision of the creator. A modder called Fey has created like 20 new units, like a Shotgunner (light a light infantry but with more damage but lower range); the flame tank, the duelist tank, the flank quad... all having new in graphics, and I think he created multi-factories, like, many many different factories so maybe in the future you will get to play a campaign with all you want.

And Feda, the author of the Landsraad, is also working on a naval war minicampaign, like a prologue for a new incoming campaign, so anything can happen.

It beautiful I like new companies. But why make another 20 new units if there are a lot of bugs with these? To fix a hundred more bugs?
It seems to me that first you need to clean up the code of the existing game, and not produce new units and, as a result, a bunch of new bugs.
Thumper Infantry instead of Heavy Tank - clean bug. If we don't fix them, then after the new units, the developers won't get out of their jobs at all and will fix bugs for days. It's better to have 10 good units than 20 with bugs.

And what prevents  from creating 2 more slots for two other tanks? Why not add these three types to the whole game, not just mods?

Because Dune 2000 is not that way. Dune 2000 only has 1 Combat tank and produce the version of the house it is produced. Westwood/Intelligent games created the game that way.

Nobody can stop you to add 2 slots for extra Combat Tank, but then you need to edit pretty much every mission to update the changes. Either on the events (reinforcements, spawn), the text.uib (the file where the name is readed (light tank, heavy tank if you want), and other AI values to make those units to be builded by the AI, being used by the starport and so on.

It is not an easy task to do (and it is going to be your own mod anyway).

The same question - what prevents from creating a new CY for the "sandworm?" And not only for the "sandworm", but also for all eight teams? Even in the original campaigns?

Is it technically difficult to implement? This solves a lot of problems at once. And with tanks, and with MCV.

This is not that hard to fix, you can do it locally if you want and it won't alter the core game.

You need the most recent editor, opening the "structure editor" (Control X), and pretty much add "tick" into the Sandworm slot on the "Atreides Construction Yard". Then pressing on "Save to files" and pretty much you can deploy CY playing as any index (it will give the Atreides version).

This is the screenshot:  image.png.c3df704795f55e13277e5fb27ea50c76.png

Unless you play certain specific mod that would have their own values, your change will apply to pretty much every campaign/mission.

You have explained how it is implemented. I understand. But the suggestion is the same - add a slot for another turret. Is there a problem with this? If you can easily change a slot from one turret to another, then what prevents from simply making a new one by copying a piece of the game code?

Just recently we got the tools to do that. Until this year, all we had was TibEd, and TibEd didn't allow to add anything new. If you wanted to add a new building or vehicle, you had to loose one that exist.

That's where it's unclear. How does this interfere with the game? This only helps - there is no need to press the "Building" button 20 times.

A matter of skill. Having to build the units 1 by 1 makes pro players to peform better that players that cannot build the units 1 by 1 quickly.

If there is a "repair" button, then it is easier to make the "auto repair" button than to pour tea. And it's easy to do for the WHOLE game. Not just for mods. For example, I repaired the building - the repair is over. A minute later, a siege tank attacks and damages 3-4 turrets. Is it convenient to click on each turret for repair? It only steals time, you know.

Unless you add that feature on every single mission by yourself It is not possible. And also you don't consider that repair drains your money which may hurt you if you are forced to repair all the time.

I understand that. But we can double-click on CY to select priority. If Ordos CY is my priority, then the Ordos heavy factory should also be built. But it doesn't work. You don't even need to invent anything. The game has everything. You just need to bring it to mind.

It doesn't work that Way.
Primary only works for factories, which makes the units to be created from that factory, or the starport. On the CY and the High Tech factory is useless.

Still, having the Ordos CY will allow you to build the Ordos Palace at least, being primary or not.

If we generalize, then all these errors are corrected. There's not much work to do here:
1) Add slots for tanks
2) Add slots under MCV
3) Add a slot for the prototype turret
4) Fix the work of CY so that when captured, the factories of another dynasty to which the captured CY belongs are displayed. If necessary, add slots for the factory
All. You don't need to do anything else. Add all this to the game, and thereby remove the dependence on mods. And then make any maps and set any parameters for them.

I want to be clear. This is not OpenRa, OpenDune or anything like that.

This is Dune 2000. If you want to add any of that, you have to do it for your own game, for your own mission, for your own campaign.

Nobody else is going to do it, because this is just Westwood Studios Dune 2000. It will stay how it was release.
Gruntmods, FunkyFresh, Klofkack, Fedaykin... patch the game to:
* Working with modern systems.
* Being able to play with online players withouth hamachi.
* Edit our own missions and campaigns with our custom fantasies.
* Being able to play all the missions and campaigns easily and accesible.

So in short. Nothing that you ask to be added will be added.

If you found a new turret on the Landsraad campaign is because the author wanted to add that unit into his early missions, but it was his personal choice. You may find that turret in a different campaign but it won't be the same. Maybe it cost more money, maybe it drains less energy, maybe it shoot faster, maybe it has double the range... all because whatever person creating the mission wanted the turret to be that way to fullfil the story of his own custom campaign.

And yet I want this information to reach the developers. I love this game and I want to make it better.

Well, I already mentioned a few names early, but again, nobody is developing this game. This is Westwood Studios Dune 2000 created in 1998. If we can play it on any windows besides XP is because people have patched the game to make it works on 64 bit system, but everybody is against altering the game at all, as we all want to have the game as it was.

If you can play a custom campaign like "War of the Landsraad" is because a bunch of people make it possible, adding editors, launchers and so on. But everybody is working with the vanilla game, and around 90% of the campaigns released were being made from the original game with the limitations of the game had.

29 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

This is not that hard to fix, you can do it locally if you want and it won't alter the core game.

You need the most recent editor, opening the "structure editor" (Control X), and pretty much add "tick" into the Sandworm slot on the "Atreides Construction Yard". Then pressing on "Save to files" and pretty much you can deploy CY playing as any index (it will give the Atreides version).

This is the screenshot:  image.png.c3df704795f55e13277e5fb27ea50c76.png

Unless you play certain specific mod that would have their own values, your change will apply to pretty much every campaign/mission.

Where can I find such an editor?

If you want the basic version for quick altering:

If you want the most recent version that contain and allow you to use around 100 events:

On the second one you need to download and apply the modified.exe

On the first link you have the file with the autogun turret if you want to add it; using the "import", but it may require a few extra steps to add it.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:07 PM, Cm_blast said:

On the second one you need to download and apply the modified.exe

On the first link you have the file with the autogun turret if you want to add it; using the "import", but it may require a few extra steps to add it.

opened the Editor. I still haven't figured out how to create a new unit group so that there are 3 different types of tanks. And where to change the name of the unit/structure in the game.
How do I change the parameters for an individual map?
How do I change the parameters for the whole original game?

If I need a file names modified.exe for this changes Where can I get it?
Can you tell me a little more?

I cannot 100% help you on that because I never splitted the combat tank into 3.

Here, on the structures editor, "units" tab, at the bottom is how you add new slots.
image.thumb.png.d88d872b03650cfbb187aaf3dc95f3a6.png

Adding new units require investing some time to figure out everything and running many tests until things are working.

How do I change the parameters for an individual map?

If you are doing a new mission you will need to create a certain amount of files, but if you are talking into doing it into preexisted missions you also would need to do create certain amount of files and then editing every mission individually.

How do I change the parameters for the whole original game?

image.png.93793b75010a1951580f60b4de2d05d6.png

The moment you do this it will be saved into your game, so you game will be altered.

I heavily suggest to do a back up, I would say ont he whole game (copy and paste the whole dune 2000's folder) so you can restore if anything goes wrong.

If I need a file names modified.exe for this changes Where can I get it?
Can you tell me a little more?

I already send you the 2 links, one of them has the modified.exe, download from there.

And not much I can tell you, since when I add a new unit I usually try many things and I do wrong many things. But maybe there are other people who knows more than me and can help you with this.

ayyo, Cm said y'all needed some help so Imma just see what I can answer

On 10/17/2022 at 1:43 AM, Dimka said:

Gun Turret and Prototype Gun Turret are the same building that appears depending on how the game was launched. If you use the "Mission select launcher" to select a game for the emperor in the "War on the Landsraad" section, then Prototype Gun Turret will be available in the game. In all other cases, there is a regular(Gun) turret. By the way, with such different launches of the game, the color of the commands also changes. For example, a blue team can turn brown when loading the game, etc. You can do both of these turrets in any game modes. They are effective against different types of units and complement each other well.

how the new mission launcher works is, it copies custom data over normal game files, allowing to use modified data for specific missions and different sets of data for other missions. changing missions so they load with different sets of data is simple, but those different sets of data may completely break a mission. for instance, if you make an Atreides War of the Landsraad map load the Imperial WotL map data, maybe that special Outpost becomes a turret or something.

anyway, if you want to make your own mod and use that mod's data, that's easier than ever thanks to the CustomCampaignData folder and how the mission launcher works. if you want to experiment with it, hit F10 after you load any mission with the latest version of the editor and try changing the data. see how it affects things, then see how you might play around with those things

Make it possible to create many units at once by clicking on a unit several times in a row. So that the factory automatically builds more than one unit.

there was a "unit queue patch" from a long time ago, but it no longer works and no one with know-how has wanted to fix it on account of how drastically it changes the game, unfortunately. however, there is a new event in the latest version of the editor which forcefully clicks something on the player's sidebar for him. making that repeat and implementing a system for it would require a workaround, but it is possible to "queue" things that way now. the event should be number 100, here:
2141840216_thisunhere.png.842d6da807aace98eb7f098b73d3cfca.png

Make a feature to buildings – automatic repair buildings in case of any damage. In order not to click on each wrench every time.

that's easy to do now too. event 64 can set the "repairing" flag on buildings according to certain criteria you specify :)

Make it possible to build different types of tanks (Heavy, Medium, Light) in all game modes, not just in "War on the Landsraad".

that's a little more complicated. basically, how the Combat Tanks work is like this:
766044234_groupsandtypes.thumb.png.ed50aeae2b5ace40cc0de6683c8c67a4.png

every unit has a group and a type. in Dune 2000 normally, the three Combat Tanks share a unit group, highlighted in red boxes in the screenshot above.

unit groups determine the name of a unit, not the unit type. so all three Combat Tanks are called "Combat Tank" because of their unit group. also, all three Combat Tanks are marked as available in the Starport, but only one may appear in the Starport menu at a given time because only one type from a group may be built by any given faction.

if you simply make two new unit groups for the other sorts of Combat Tank, the game will crash when you create a Starport because the Starport menu may have no more or less than eight icons. I know, it's weird :P there's also the matter of prerequisites and owners. you can see in that screenshot there, there's "Owner side" and "Owner side needed" - what's the difference? well, "Owner side needed" involves prerequisite 1. this is what allows you to build Ordos and Harkonnen Combat Tanks from Atreides Heavy Factories, because ALL Heavy Factories can build ANY kind of Combat Tank. however, only Atreides and Fremen are marked for "Owner side" meaning that they are the factions that build medium Combat Tanks.

if you were to have Atreides Combat Tanks in their own unit group, and fixed the Starport problem, what would happen is that Harkonnen and Ordos would be able to build them because even though they're marked as owned by Atreides and Fremen only, they would be the only unit TYPE in the unit GROUP, and any factory can build Atreides Combat Tanks. so there's no other unit TYPE for Harkonnen or Ordos factions to default to.

as you can see, changing those Combat Tanks is a bit of a hassle but it's doable. and popular, lots of modders like to make them available for all factions. I did it for my mod, works just fine. as long as you know the ins and outs of what's being changed, why, and how that affects the rest of the game. hopefully my explanations helps!

Make it possible to build different heavy factories when capturing another Construction yard. For example, if we initially play as Harkonnen CY, then when capturing Atreides CY, we should be able to build Atreides Heavy Factory, since they have a different tank (medium tank), and also have a Sonic Tank. And this is logical, because we confiscated their technology.

I'm not sure this has ever been accomplished because aside from the issues with the type / group clashing I elaborated on about the Combat Tanks, there is a limited number of building queues, and those building queues are attached to specific building groups. if you make two Heavy Factories, they will have their own individual queues! so it's plausible to make a new kind of factory at least, like naval yards can be a thing, but for all the Heavy Factories and stuff it's not exactly something we can do at the moment

On 10/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, Dimka said:

about the sandworm side, it simply doesn't have an "owner" side set for any Construction Yard, so the game has trouble deciding which ConYard to spawn when an MCV belonging to sandworm side deploys. that's a pretty easy fix actually, can just check that box for whatever CY you want them to have and there you go

another easy fix. thanks to Klofkac's new editor, you can simply copy the Autogun Turret data from War of the Landsraad or anywhere else it's been used and paste it in whatever mod you're building. unlike some of the other stuff, a new turret ain't too difficult, I'm glad to say

technically, this might be possible now if you change the player's faction entirely with the 'switch my side' event, event number 12. ah, but changing the owner of infantry makes them disappear because the game only has code for captured buildings or deviated vehicles... so I guess not. there are a lot of things we can do with modern modding tools, but that is not yet one of them, or at least it's not one with a clear way of implementing that I can see. maybe you come up with something if you check out the new events!

it may not seem like much work, but we've been making modding advancements for quite a while and Dune 2000 has some ancient spaghetti code. still, we CAN do a lot more now than we used to be able to

right. And that's why the color of the teams sometimes changes. Depending on how the game is running.

there are color codes for eight factions, but any beyond index 7 show a mishmash of colors based on the "COLOURS.bin" file the game is currently reading. the reason it changes in certain campaigns is because these "extra colors" were used, using factions at indexes above 7. thanks to the new mission launcher, we can use custom colors that are consistent very easily. older campaigns sometimes use the old way of doing things with funny colors

why make another 20 new units if there are a lot of bugs with these? To fix a hundred more bugs?

hey, my stuff is very bug-free, thank you very much! :P but there are more reasons to experiment and make new stuff. all the experimentation has helped our devs, like Klofkac, find and fix existing bugs with the game and develop that lovely new editor

alright, hopefully I replied to everything important in this thread. please let me know if I missed anything or if you need anything else. I try to be around but things are awfully busy lately; if you'd prefer, I'm around the Landsraad Discord linked in this thread here:

yeet

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2022 at 3:43 AM, Dimka said:

there was a "unit queue patch" from a long time ago, but it no longer works and no one with know-how has wanted to fix it on account of how drastically it changes the game, unfortunately. however, there is a new event in the latest version of the editor which forcefully clicks something on the player's sidebar for him. making that repeat and implementing a system for it would require a workaround, but it is possible to "queue" things that way now. the event should be number 100, here:

A matter of skill. Having to build the units 1 by 1 makes pro players to peform better that players that cannot build the units 1 by 1 quickly.

I've been thinking; why not implement Unit Queuing as a game option? Kind of like how you can enable Crates or Worms? That way the people that want it can have it while the people who don't want it can just ignore selecting that option. Don't know how to implement is for the main campaign or any pre-exisiting campaign but that can be future goal.

An actual bug I found was in the WoL missions, especially in Mission 2 for the Sardaukar: sometimes the "Missile Launch Detected" line might get switched with another random line or sound. I've had both gunfire and "the ordos are coming closer!" play when selecting the target for the nuke.

Non-code-based suggestions: Would it be possible to give the Smugglers a different colored tank and structures? I get they're Not Ordos but if you have them, Mercenaries and Ordos all on the same map its kind of a mess. The main issue I can see would be if a re-color was applied then it would affect anyone using an Ordos Tank thus making the change to begin with useless.
Then there's the Mercenary Tank. I think, haven't tried it yet, that this one suggestion could be done via the new map editor. Anyways I was thinking that it would make more sense for the Merc's to have the Atreides Tank. Both from a statistical perspective, since its the all-rounder combat tank, and from a visual perspective since the Merc Heavy Factory has that sloped roof...

On 11/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, Colos said:

I've been thinking; why not implement Unit Queuing as a game option? Kind of like how you can enable Crates or Worms? That way the people that want it can have it while the people who don't want it can just ignore selecting that option. Don't know how to implement is for the main campaign or any pre-exisiting campaign but that can be future goal.

There was a unit queueing patch, but it no longer worked due to d2k patches and no one who knows how to implement the system again cares to do so. Folks who are interested have asked, to no avail thus far. I personally wouldn't mind it, but I dunno how to make a patch for it.

Maybe someday, but nothing at the moment on the queuing front.

An actual bug I found was in the WoL missions, especially in Mission 2 for the Sardaukar: sometimes the "Missile Launch Detected" line might get switched with another random line or sound. I've had both gunfire and "the ordos are coming closer!" play when selecting the target for the nuke.

Ah, that's a bug involving allocation index 3. Feda would know about that one already, I'm sure. The three sound files it uses are:
 - MGUN2
 - HI_MAP1C
 - HI_MAP2A

That's a problem with the game itself due to how playing as allocation index 3 works on the back end. It's possible to fix it via modding, but for normal campaigns as imperials, that bug is a thing.

Non-code-based suggestions: Would it be possible to give the Smugglers a different colored tank and structures? I get they're Not Ordos but if you have them, Mercenaries and Ordos all on the same map its kind of a mess. The main issue I can see would be if a re-color was applied then it would affect anyone using an Ordos Tank thus making the change to begin with useless.

We have some new assets. Here's a new Combat Tank skin, in red and from a few angles:
spacer.png
spacer.png

It's got stripes along the side and dark treads like the atr CT, but similar in shape to the hark CT.

And here's a 'rock dragon' rax intended for the mercs and smugs, in a wine red similar to their usual brown coloration, and in cyan without shadows:
spacer.png
spacer.png

Edit: Forgot to mention. If you want more info on implementing the above assets, swing by the Landsraad Discord server pinned here:

I frequent the place and can help ya get your own submod set up or something.

Then there's the Mercenary Tank. I think, haven't tried it yet, that this one suggestion could be done via the new map editor. Anyways I was thinking that it would make more sense for the Merc's to have the Atreides Tank. Both from a statistical perspective, since its the all-rounder combat tank, and from a visual perspective since the Merc Heavy Factory has that sloped roof...

Aye, that's easy to mod in with the new map editor. Just hit ctrl + X like you would to "cut" something for pasting, and it'll bring up the "structures editor" portion of Klofkac's d2k map and mission editor. Don't forget to pick up the latest exe too, unless you get the vanilla compatible version of the editor.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Fey

• 9 months later...

I get this message when I reach a certain point in a custom mission I'm making. Basically I set up an event where if an engineer goes through a particular tile, it converts all the units and buildings from one owner to another. But every time I send an engineer to that spot, the game crashes with this message. The only thing that changes, is the value they there [1], if I send five engineers, then it becomes [5]. To add to that, the Player's side is not hostile to the faction they are capturing. So I've got no idea how to fix this.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 035221.png

11 hours ago, Colos said:

I get this message when I reach a certain point in a custom mission I'm making. Basically I set up an event where if an engineer goes through a particular tile, it converts all the units and buildings from one owner to another. But every time I send an engineer to that spot, the game crashes with this message. The only thing that changes, is the value they there [1], if I send five engineers, then it becomes [5]. To add to that, the Player's side is not hostile to the faction they are capturing. So I've got no idea how to fix this.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 035221.png

Hey dude :P Need more information about the error. If there are events you suspect are the culprit, could you snap a screenshot of them? Alternatively, send the mission files (and mod files if necessary).

Feel free to swing by the Landsraad discord server, which is pinned on this forum along with Cm's index. Can communicate faster there, should help troubleshoot.

Although I don't know for sure (could be one part of the event wrong, like, you check for other thing), but just informing you that infantry cannot change sides.

think on this way, if you make all the Atreides units and buildings to chance into Harkonnen control, all the buildings pretend that "they were captured" and all the units "they were deviated", you cannot get control of the enemy infantry, so those usually just dissapear (as it they were crushed).

check for any specific event or condition that may be; you can try by doing stuff slowly, like "only converting all structures" and see if it works or crash, then "only converting vehicles" to see if that also crash or not.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 9/20/2023 at 7:18 AM, Fey said:

Hey dude :P Need more information about the error. If there are events you suspect are the culprit, could you snap a screenshot of them? Alternatively, send the mission files (and mod files if necessary).

Feel free to swing by the Landsraad discord server, which is pinned on this forum along with Cm's index. Can communicate faster there, should help troubleshoot.

Here are the files. I managed to get only "Buildings" to turn over. You will have to dig through the events in the editor to know where to go and what to do since the messages won't display.

_MAP4.MIS MAP4.ini MAP4.map

I gave a bit of checking on tha map.

Just mentioning right away that you cannot convert infantry, they will dissapear (although it shouldn't crash the game, although maybe on your situation can happens). Building conversion seems fine.

By the way, if you have any event marked with the "auto-block" you no longer need an extra event to block it, auto-block will make once the event has been triggered it won't happen ever again, you can remove the extra stuff plus not worried if you set up the correct event to block or not.

Blocking is more "I want this to run multiple times as long as this stuff is on, but later I want to turn it off".

Now, from what you mentioned on placing engineers on a certain tile, it seems that both event 10 and 11 are the ones: my suggestion is to follow this steps:
1: edit the map and "cheat", put engineers on a nearby tile and move it to force the trigger (if the event is inside the enemy base then put 30 devastators around the enemy to raze whatever unit); move as quickly as possible the engineers just to see if the game crash early.
2: if it crashed; check event 10 and 11, and mark the "blocked" option; the event will be readable but it won't trigger on the game. run the mission and see if the game crash.
3: If it doesn't crash, unblock event 10, but keep event 11 blocked and test.
4: if the game crashed, then the event 10 is the one that it is making your game to crash which may seems the most likely to happen.

In this case, add some criteria, like for example "category - vehicle" so only vehicles can get converted; and test the game; if it doesn't crash, then it is just converting infantry, which it is something that:
a) it doesn't happen (you can capture buildings and deviate vehicles, which it is the "conversion" method, but you cannot do that with infantry).
b) It is more likely that if an enemy has 3 infantry on 1 specific tile, the game tries to "convert it" (even if it fails) but not at the same time, just with microseconds of difference, and you cannot have 2 infantry from two sides on the same tile.

So in short, converting infantry may be the main issue; in this case you may need to adjust to only conver the vehicles (and keeping the infantry on the old side or just straigh killing them with the "destroy unit" or "leave" event). It may hurt a bit your story, but that's the thing, you cannot swap sides for infantry, is a limitation in the game as you cannot deviate infantry nor turning into your side by any other mean. <--- the best solution to not kill anything is simply swapping the diplomacy, but it seems you are swapping sides just to change the color of those units as well.

Edited by Cm_blast