Everyone must post here

undsputed

Okay, I had a question and I wanted some feedback. I wanted to know what kind of graphics card you are using, since I am considering buying one. I am considering an xtasy geforce 4 mx 440, so if anyone has that, I'm especially interested. Give me an idea of what card you have and your satisfaction with it. Thanks.

Lol Nyar, WW games huh?

Sarb, no....I'm very much broke...I'm in school, so all my money has been turned over to them :P. Nothing like a 2500 bill to break you. In fact, my next post was going to request people put money in a fund for me ;D I haven't ruled out getting a geforce 2. It's just I wanted to make sure I didn't try to save in the near term only to be forced to buy another card not long after...in other words I wanted to avoid the quick fix. My last card was a savage card and I think it isn't supported well at all. In fact, my graphics are screwed at the moment, and colors are somewhat distorted...my machine even prompts me about hardware when I boot.

I saw the above mentioned card on ebay for about 50 less than sold at places like Best Buy, so I'm thinking about it.

GF3 would be great Nyar, but I think that price may be outta my range.

Lol Nyar, WW games huh?

Sarb, no....I'm very much broke...I'm in school, so all my money has been turned over to them :P. Nothing like a 2500 bill to break you. In fact, my next post was going to request people put money in a fund for me ;D I haven't ruled out getting a geforce 2. It's just I wanted to make sure I didn't try to save in the near term only to be forced to buy another card not long after...in other words I wanted to avoid the quick fix. My last card was a savage card and I think it isn't supported well at all. In fact, my graphics are screwed at the moment, and colors are somewhat distorted...my machine even prompts me about hardware when I boot.

I saw the above mentioned card on ebay for about 50 less than sold at places like Best Buy, so I'm thinking about it.

GF3 would be great Nyar, but I think that price may be outta my range.

Do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT buy any graphics card with MX in the Chipset.

MX is an acronym. It stands for: "I am the crappiest and worst possible chipset that you could possibly buy, ever!"

At least get a GeForce 3 Ti 200. ANYTHING with MX in it is very bad. MX sucks (of course it does i just told you the acronym of what MX stands for!)

If you want the best on the market get a GeForce 4 Ti 4600.

Note: GeForce 4 MX cards suck even more than GeForce 3 cards!

Just further proof that you should avoid buying an MX-based cards.

Use your current card if need-be until you can afford a good card. No sense wasting money on crap.

Oh yeah, another addedum:I recently bought an Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti 4600 and I had to send it back for Warranty Replacement. Though VisionTek has a "Lifetime Warranty" policy, it's a real pain sending it back and getting an RMA number from them (first they will do everything possible to make it seem like *you* are doing something wrong instead of acknowledging the fact that their card is defective). I haven't got my card back yet so I don't have any serious issues with them thus far (if they try sending me the same card back, I'm gonna raise Hell with them tho ;D ), other than the fact that it causes flags to go up that I just happened to buy a defective card from them when they sell millions of them. Meaning, if out of millions I got stuck with a defective one, a lot of other people probably do too.PS: If you are wondering how I know it was defective:The demos that came with the VisionTek Driver CD were stuttering.I have a ton of old PC games from 1998 and 1999 even, so I bounced up all the decals, complex shadows, halos, lens flares, T&L, anti-aliasing, bump-mapping etc. etc., you name it, my games have it - and any time I bump up the graphics to a semi-high setting even on older games that were released long before there were even GeForce 3 card on the market, I was getting frame rates of 2 - 6 FPS.

I have a Radeon 8500, Geforce3 Ti 500, and a Geforce Ti 4600. I can give you a nice analysis on each. Let me tell you, the difference between the Geforce 3 and a Radeon are so small, that for 70 bucks cheaper your a fool to buy a Geforce 3. Buy the Radeon 8500, it's worth your money. Don't buy a Geforce200. If your going to buy that, go for the Radeon 8500, it's much better.

As for a Geforce4, this card is amazing if you use it right. Try overclocking it and it's even better. However, it's also expensive. I think this is the best card I've ever used.

I notice that a lot of newer games don't support ATI cards (Radeon) as well as the new Geforce cards. I think, if your looking for a long term investment, you should get Geforce4. Radeons aren't bad but expect to be downloading a lot of patches, especially for new games.

I seriously suggest a new card thats coming out. Its from SiS. I know that most of their 3d cards are crap but this new Xaber card kicks ass. It is about 70 bucks and is coming out soon. it has all the features and equals a geforce 3 ti 500. A lot better than the geforce 4 mx 440. I would suggest the xaber or if you want to get a geforce card than the ti 200. because the mx 440 isnt that great.

Mr. Snow, you are referring to the mx 440 right?

I appreciate all the comments...even you Nav.

DS_CL, you appear to have quite a surplus of cards...I don't know why I'm buying one when you can just give me one :P

What are some thoughts on the geforce 3 ti200 (xtasy)?

Hrmm...Anyone here ever hear of a I/O Magic 16MB 3D? Heh, in case you haven't, it's the $60 special at Circuit City, and works wonders on my computer. The only problem I have is I can't play Theme Hospital, I don't think it likes the nVidia Vanta drivers. Oh yeah, and Emperor sucks with it.

I have a Radeon 8500, Geforce3 Ti 500, and a Geforce Ti 4600. I can give you a nice analysis on each. Let me tell you, the difference between the Geforce 3 and a Radeon are so small, that for 70 bucks cheaper your a fool to buy a Geforce 3. Buy the Radeon 8500, it's worth your money. Don't buy a Geforce200. If your going to buy that, go for the Radeon 8500, it's much better.As for a Geforce4, this card is amazing if you use it right. Try overclocking it and it's even better. However, it's also expensive. I think this is the best card I've ever used.I notice that a lot of newer games don't support ATI cards (Radeon) as well as the new Geforce cards. I think, if your looking for a long term investment, you should get Geforce4. Radeons aren't bad but expect to be downloading a lot of patches, especially for new games.
You stated that the ATI and Geforce aren't that different and he should consider the ATI. Yet you also state that a lot of newer games don't support the ATI... how can you give him the advise to buy the ATI ? I'd go for the the GeForce, cause at least games are running on that one and the driver support for the GeForce (Nvidia) is way better then ATI's driver support..

[iamnotanexpert]I heard somwhere something along the lines that a Geforce 4 is actually slower then a Geforce 3. I don't know whay, or what type of slower, if someone better suited to this could answer for me, because I am upgrading very soon, and I don't know what to[iamnotanexpert]

But, I currently have a Geforce2 mx etc etc, it works very well for me.

[iamnotanexpert]I heard somwhere something along the lines that a Geforce 4 is actually slower then a Geforce 3. I don't know whay, or what type of slower, if someone better suited to this could answer for me, because I am upgrading very soon, and I don't know what to[iamnotanexpert]

But, I currently have a Geforce2 mx etc etc, it works very well for me.

True, but it depends on what type of GeForce 4 you're referring to. Here is a link where you can compare several cards in a test:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/index.html

Also, look at the following link that shows that 128mb doesn't always mean it's much faster. In the test you'll see a 64mb card keeping up with a 128mb:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1107-407-20057233.html?tag=st.co.1107-404-20057233.rev-perf.1107-407-20057233

It means 128mb of RAM, so 64 mb vid card is more than enough. Ram for your motherboard, not video card, is what they want 128 of. A game demanding 128 mb of vidRAM is ludicrous and wouldn't sell at all.

If you were going to compare the ATI (Radeon) vs. the Geforce 3, I would get the Radeon. Games like Emperor worked better on my Radeon card than on any of my Nvidia cards. But the technology for those types of games is older, and when it came out the Radeon 8500 was the most compatible card on the market.

There are some games that a Geforce 2 cannot play. Try B-17, Empire Earth, games like that. The Geforce 2 does not have full support. That was the original reason I bought a Radeon 8500. Newer games require patches though. Their not large ones and most games fix this problem in their first update. The only game that I have seen have trouble with fixing the ATI bug has been counterstrike, and that is only because the patch is not included in the regular game updates. You have to download it seperately.

The problem that has to be fixed is an overflow issue. That

I guess no one is going to recommend the new Parhelia ?

The rates ad benchmarks are mayby a bit dissapointed and the displacement mapping is generally left un-used but is has a good picture quality.

Test version are allready out there, but you should be able to buy it any day now for about 480 Euro. Or the bulk-version for about 440 with a slower chip.

Buy the 4200, because 4400 is only a little better, and the price difference is pretty good, so buy the cheap one with almost the amount of power as the 4400. But if you have the money, buy 4800 which is a lot better but it costs a lot.