Difficulty of 'HARD' level in Single Skirmish games

JN

Hello,

I am curious to know how difficult other players find the 'HARD' level to be when playing against the AI's.

Not having played a lot of games against other humans yet (I have been 'practicing' against the computer in preparation..), I was wondering how well the AI's compare to good human players.

I find the normal level to be quite easy, but then there is a huge jump when you set it to hard. The AI players become fast and unforgiving, and do things a lot smarter like building secondary construction yards, identifying your weaknesses and making better use of subhouses.

I actually find the hard level to be considerably more difficult to beat -particularly against Harkonnens. (I play Atreides)

I would be interested to hear other players experiences when playing against the computer on the hard level.

Maybe I'm just really crap .. :'(

-JN

I buyed the game early in the history...

And i had 0 losses on 10 times of playing!

But now i haven't played for a while, im not so good!

HARD singel skirmish is more difficult when you have 3 or 1 players against you than 7!

because the kill each other, but if i try to do i always completes it ::)

The first two levels are very easy but still fun to play (If I want find I can win without any looses or something like that ;)). Hard is more challenging but still you can trick comp, its stiil only comp and sometimes it`s behavior is so strange that you can win preety fast. Usually I play 4 AI but with one its fun still. Its funny when I have base in the focal point and all enemies going on me.

Indeed, the hardest to play is 1 or 2 enemies, and then only when they don't attack each other. The AI-code for hard is, collect spice, build units, and attack, without any delay (what is in easy and medium, otherwise it would be... yes, hard:)) and you know how quickly you can build small armies

well, before when i had my westwood account...(it got deleted and i cant get it back cuz of something to do with my serial #)... i fought only about 15 ppl...whooped em all badly then tried hard mode on the skirmish games. The only difference is that the computer doesnt really "reply" to your attacks with weaknesses. For the easy and normal games. they just drool and smile when you hit em

• 4 weeks later...

all the difficulties are really quite easy if u use the simple tank rush method

of course if u use this tactic all the time then ur in fer a shick when u come up against realy players

in the end cos i found it really too easy (and i wanted to try 2 human players V the comp) is to extract the Rules.txt from the model.rfh or whatever and then go to the line nearish the top that says something like Difficulty settings or something and it says

EasyBuildTime = 75 (i think)

and then a little down

EasyBuildcost = ?

if u put these values down to about 10 on both then the hard mode becomes "super inpossible mode" especially if u play 1 on 1 w/ the comp. Great fun tho =)

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, 'artificial intelligence' is just a nicer way of describing 'real stupidity'. The AI sometimes keep sending single units like Sand Bikes and Buzzsaws, and they always try to put scouts in the same place. Their attack groups are also not balanced and not strong enough, sometimes they just send 3-4 Minotauruses, and you can take them out with ADPs, Gunships, Fedaykin, Ornithopters, etc. I'd like to see an AI that actually ADAPTS and responds to the way a human player attacks and defends. Once you figure out how the AI works, it's not hard to exploit the same weaknesses over and over and over... ::)

The comp. know how to rush how to build, how repair building and how to attack...... etc. But i doesn't know how to find your weakness, etc.

You'll find out 20,000 differences between human and AI. i.e Does know how to retreat their harvester when under attack as well as not knowing how to hunt your harvesters.

hard ai is very good IMO, it is as good as an newbie >> midbie

about the "hit and the weak spot" when i play against the hard enemy sometimes i gather all my forces and attack, then suddenly out of no-where this gigantic group of tanks appear in my base, i survive but have learned my lesson ;)

timenh: that happens quite a lot to me ;)

Hmm, you will be surprised about the AI.

Go play campaing, and attack a region where the enemy get more reinforcements then you, and when you have reached maximum tech level

Or play in skirmish against 2 attackers, hard, and on a small map