Pledge of Allegiance ruled unconstitutional

yep you heard me right. A California judge ruled the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional due to the words "under God". Apparently the judge says it is a violation of the Separation of Church and State. That is just stupid, even if it is only in the 9th Circuit Court Disctrict.http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/pledge.allegiance/index.htmlWhy is it I always end up supporting Rush. I hate him, but he and I often seem to share the same views. Thanks for posting the Circuis Court Gob.

It's all indicative of the world we're living in. Peacetime...bull...We're so afraid of war, but we're so confrontational that we've got to have *something* to complain about or we feel inferior and weak. Never rule out war before your species is ready for peace. And you can quote me with that one. Suppression is *never* the answer.

It's pretty dumb, but if we are going to make a law, people are going to exploit it to it's core. That's just our way. It is offensive to a lot of people who don't believe in the God said in the allegiance, so I can kind of understand a part of this. I wouldn't think of it as athiests once again trying to rid the world of anything God though. Besides, God wasn't even put in by our founding fathers, it was put in the 1950's.

Also if you want to get technical about it. It only says "under God". It does not say "Under the God of the Jewish faith" or "Under the God of the Christian faith" or "Under the God of the Muslim faith" or "under the God of (insert one deity faith)". Even though I realize its the Christian one, but if you were to be technical it doesn't specify which God.

You arent forced to say it so if you are offended then dont say it. Also the "God" refered to during the founding of the constitution was not the christian god per se. It was a deist God of reason. very few foundign fathers were christians. most just believed a great creator existed. thats it.

Well I'm not American but I say its about freaking time. Making students recite religous writings, swear loyalty and make pledges is ridiculas. That belongs in a church not a classroom or school auditorium. I dont think the Buddhists, Muslims, or atheists like having to swear allegiance to God / the flag / the constitution / Larry King / whatever.

The anthem every morning is acceptable but swearing to a God indicates a major life dedication.

Little off topic, but ACElethal. Madrasses are Muslim schools for Muslim children. They are taught all about Allah and Islam in general at these schools. They pray to Allah many times a day at one of these schools. And by praying to Allah, they are pledging their allegiance to him. (I just love old Reader's Digest articles.)

Yes but the reason those kids go to a muslim school is because, *GASP* they're muslim! They probably do it every day. In a PUBLIC school with mixed religous beliefs, its wrong.

In a specialized school like these Muslim Madrasses or Catholic schools, Jewish academy's, Buddhists schools, Ahmish schoolhouses etc, its fine because they're all [insert religion here]s.

You aren't swearing allegiance to God by simply reciting it. The Pledge of Allegiance isn't religious writing either, it's pledging allegiance to the United States of America not a certain religion.

America WAS founded "under God" and last I heard you can't rewrite history. Just because people have become so uptight over religion doesn't mean all mention of it has to be abolished.

Like I said I'm not American so I dont know the nature of this pledge's origin. It's not a matter of being politically correct, it's a matter of respecting all people that go to that school. Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, the USA has been a diverse nation since it's very creation. The "founding fathers" may not have acknowledged or accounted for other religions or backgrounds but there's no reason they cant nowadays. Alter the wording slightly or scrap it all together and replace it with a pledge to the flag, the national anthem or something but forcing kids who are at the stage in their lives where their entire belief system is being built to recite the blah blah blah under a particular god is pretty insensitive.

Hrmm, I never listen to Rush Limbaugh, he and I don't exactly "gee-haw" on political views...I prefer listening to Art Bell, Coast to Coast AM.

Heh, when *I* was going to school (first grade) the teacher had us gather in a circle and pray to Jesus (*gasp* *gasp*, *HORROR*) before going to lunch. It didn't warp my brain and views of the existence or nonexistence of God(s). At least I don't think it did...of course...you never know...trust no one!

In a school that is centered on Christianity, that would be appropreate. In my opinion, it has no place in a public school.

Don't get me wrong though. The Recitation of historic scripts is often inspirational, and gives a sense of unity to those practicing it. The national anthem or the salution of the flag would be most appropreate. Of course, it's wrong to make anyone sing or recite something that goes against what they believe in.

I pity the school board heads in England where the national anthem itself is a religous statement. "God save the Queen"

personally i wouldn't have any problem with the church and state thing if they would be less hypocrytical about it. For instance, the Under God comment is NOT pledging allegiance to God, nor is the God mentioned necessarily Christian (although church and state doesn't differientiate religions)

The only thing i wish they would change is the standing. As far as i can remember, they make you stand EVEN if you don't say the pledge. So in my opinion, standing is FORCING affirmation on children, if you don't have to say the pledge thats fine, but if you have to stand during it it's just like saying you still have to observe it and give it credance. I personally didn't have any problem saying the pledge. But i certainly wouldn't want to be made to stand during the swearing of allegiance to Mao Te Sung either