Family atomics

Emperor Harkonnen

Family Atomics are nuclear devices. Only the Great Houses are allowed to own caches of them. The Great Convention (the highest set of laws in the Universe) says that they cannot be used - all Great Houses would unite and obliterate any violators. They make some mention in the books of saving the atomics in case of invasion by some alien species.

It was in Dune I somewhere I thought. But they didn't say an alien species. I think it was something like "any possible thread that's unthinkable to us, unknow to us now and could endanger the know univers".

A little of the topic but anyway: What is a stone burner? ??? It is mentioned in the books a few times but never goes into detail. (All though I've only read Dune, Dune Messih, and I'm half way through House Atreides) As far as I know it is so sort of Primitive atomic device that create a substantual amount of radiation.

Now if I remember right a stone burner is an atomic weapon. It gives off a massive ammount of energy and radiation. It can be concentrated in a small area or to cover an entire planet. I think it was also mentioned that they shot energy to a planet core or something like that.

(Info brought to you by the prequels and Dune Messiah.)

I believe a StoneBurner is just a simple atomic device. However, it may be a bit more "controlled" than a regular Atomic. I remember in Messiah, they talked about the SB blast "burrowing" under the Arrakeen crust, causing seismic upheaval. However, nuclear weapons of today leave large craters as well.

It may also be like the device Dominic used in House Harkonnen, where he set the blast radius to obliterate only his hideout.

I dont go along with the stoneburners in the prequels for this reason. It says they can be set to sear the surface of a planet. I think that came out of the imagination of the two writers. They are ultra powerful dont get me wrong. They are a lot more focused in my opinion though. They are able to dig into a planets surface, given a good amount of time. they must be awesomely powerful. no wonder why they are illegal. even staring at a blast of one can burn the eyes out.

lol whoa not a flamethrower. it is much more than that. it doesnt really come close to a flame thrower. it shoots a direct, constant beam. flame throwers dont do that. Watch a flame thrower moved back and forth and you will see the fire "dance".