Engineer captured tower

GhostWarrior

Hello everyone. I found byte arrays (in DUNE2000.DAT) so that the engineer could capture the towers. Perhaps it will be useful to someone.

---------------

Spoiler

version game 1.6

arrays of bytes:

//capture tower
search  - 3C03751A
replace - 3C03EB1A

//engineer approaching the building
search  - 742C8A4C
replace - EB2C8A4C

//green cursor icon
search  - F6C4047466
replace - F6C4049090

13 hours ago, GhostWarrior said:

Hello everyone. I found byte arrays (in DUNE2000.DAT) so that the engineer could capture the towers. Perhaps it will be useful to someone.

---------------

Hide contents

version game 1.6

arrays of bytes:

//capture tower
search  - 3C03751A
replace - 3C03EB1A

//engineer approaching the building
search  - 742C8A4C
replace - EB2C8A4C

//green cursor icon
search  - F6C4047466
replace - F6C4049090

You may want to give a look at this.

some time ago Fey find some bytes to make buildings as targeteable-capturable-repaired, for example, he is modding his campaign so saboteurs can actually sabotage buildings (walls can also be repaired).

On the link I wrote Klofkac developed a tool that it's to replace Tibed and have plenty of findings on bytes. It is a recent tool so I am not sure exactly all it can do, but you may check it to prevent yourself to waste time on certains things that were already discovered.

@Cm_blast,ok. useful program. You don't know, someone added new units without replacing existing ones? I've done this experiment in the past. It was artillery (without reversal) and flamethrower tank from "Tiberian sun". The hardest part was adding new icons to the units, their id is determined by their position in graphic resources.

47 minutes ago, GhostWarrior said:

@Cm_blast,ok. useful program. You don't know, someone added new units without replacing existing ones? I've done this experiment in the past. It was artillery (without reversal) and flamethrower tank from "Tiberian sun". The hardest part was adding new icons to the units, their id is determined by their position in graphic resources. 

You need to ask @Fey, but I think only can be added withouth removing anything else are the carryall and the Sardaukar (as both have two versions), but I could be wrong, Fey has bee editing units so he will know better.

20 hours ago, GhostWarrior said:

found byte

Hey mate, no worries! We've already been through the hex. Have a look at this here thread:

You'll find the new structures editor in here. This is the result of TONS of community research on the bytes hidden away in TibEd.

Oh, and I guess I should read through the thread before posting, I see Cm already recommended this, but whatever, I'll leave this in for emphasis: The new editor is amazing! I highly recommend giving it a look. Just remember that Dune 2000 is a fairly unstable game and even though the editor is awesome, there are certain changes you might make that the game can't handle and it'll crash anyway. Just make a thread about it or shout in the SP Discord server if you encounter a problem you want help with. :)

1 hour ago, GhostWarrior said:

without replacing

We don't like to add new units without replacing old ones. It's reeeeally a hassle. I'm not sure it's possible. Probably is, would need quite extensive testing, but between the new mission launcher which loads mods on a per-mission basis and this awesome new editor, there's little need for adding even more new units. Replace certain things on some maps, replace other things on others.

While attempting to add new units is not recommended, adding new unit types works perfectly. The types are in the list on the left in the editor while the units themselves are in the list on the right.

Cm is correct - Sardaukar and Carryalls have two versions, and you can safely "replace" one of those without really replacing anything.

You don't know, someone added new units without replacing existing ones?

12 minutes ago, Fey said:

We don't like to add new units without replacing old ones. It's reeeeally a hassle. I'm not sure it's possible. Probably is, would need quite extensive testing,

Well, I believe adding units without replacing existing IS technically possible, we're just missing tools that can accomplish all what is needed. Althrough the D2kEditor CAN add new units at this moment, it CANNOT manipulate graphical entries in DATA.R16 file. When you add new unit, graphical glitches with building and unit icons will occur, because the graphical entries will mismatch. Once I implement the functionality to manipulate graphical entries in DATA.R16 (i.e. add new icon entry when adding a new building/unit), I believe adding new units will work like a charm.

5 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

adding units

Yeah, supposedly the new unit will need some frames allocated, say, after the very last set of sprites, that new icon of course... we have no idea which frames it actually needs, but if we can discover that and then implement the automatic addition of the necessary frames any time a new unit is added, that would surely allow for it.

Until then, it's kinda beyond those who are not god. Or, you know, Klofkac.

49 minutes ago, GhostWarrior said:

video

Yo, that's some fine work! So you snapped screenshots of the voxel in thirty-two directions, adjusted for transparency and shadows, color-corrected, and aligned them for D2k? I'd say the cannon could be tilted up a bit since that's the thing that fires, and normally it moves around when the vehicle is deployed, but hey, that looks great as is.

If you're looking to get back into d2k modding, there's never been a better time. :) There are new tilesets, some unit spritesets have been touched up, the new editor is a thing of course. Lots of neat stuff.

Did you say you also got the Devil's Tongue subterranean flame tank into d2k? That could be neat, although we also have these Flame Tank sprites right here:

BiO0ZLC.png
If those are of any interest.

Edited by Fey

Thanks everyone for the answers.
This is a video of my mod with new units. Created on the russian version of the Dune 2000. The description of all actions with the resources of the game remained somewhere on the old hdd. I will try to find them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdX5XOhsi4

Good nod artilerry units. I think the square (selection) and the health bar (the size itself) can be altered, as you can see the devastator and infantry have different hp-size (the health of the units doesn't matter).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 9:15 PM, Fey said:

We don't like to add new units without replacing old ones. It's reeeeally a hassle. I'm not sure it's possible. Probably is, would need quite extensive testing

If it's anything like what I had to do in C&C95, it's a few years of intensive research, and a lot of disassembling and programming in x86 asm bytecode.

I did it mostly for the challenge, but it definitely produced a few very strange bugs before it all worked properly...

Edited by Nyerguds