Is it possible that you can temper with the Score Screen in Dune 2000?

Amander

Whenever you come across your Score Screen you get statistics such as how much is Destroyed, Built or Harvested.
If possible can you load it but make it so that the user may also load their own images and next map or quit loader?
This should by the way be an extension to the Mission Launcher.

Edited by Amander

5 hours ago, Amander said:

Whenever you come across your Score Screen you get statistics such as how much is Destroyed, Built or Harvested.
If possible can you load it but make it so that the user may also load their own images and next map or quit loader?
This should by the way be an extension to the Mission Launcher.

It is possible, I can do it, although not sure if I will. I don't really see a good reason for the image.

Showing the next map is not possible because... well how can the launcher know what map you're gonna play next?

26 minutes ago, Feda said:

well how can the launcher know what map you're gonna play next

An INI setting that has the filename of the next map? Unless it's the end of the campaign, then... I dunno, the 'epilogue' button appears in its place? And that has its own text entry? :)

17 minutes ago, Fey said:

An INI setting that has the filename of the next map? Unless it's the end of the campaign, then... I dunno, the 'epilogue' button appears in its place? And that has its own text entry? :)

But what is the point of this? I seriously do not see the reason why it'd show up the next map lol

8 hours ago, Feda said:

It is possible, I can do it, although not sure if I will. I don't really see a good reason for the image.

Showing the next map is not possible because... well how can the launcher know what map you're gonna play next?

I know what you mean, when you click next it will request campaign map instead.
Perhaps what I should really ask for was Campaign Screen maker, and whenever someone beats a Mission then you go to fail Mission Screen or return to Campaign Screen.

7 hours ago, Fey said:

Iunno. Campaign immersion?

Just showing a string like "Next map: C:/Users/Feda/Desktop/Dune 2000/data/missions/wol_a2" doesn't feel that immersive to me lol. Even something like "Next map: WOL_2" or "Next map: Wol Atreides Mission 2" still doesn't seem that makes any difference in my view. What would make a difference is launching the next mission directly from the score screen or something, which is indeed potentially nice but might not be worth the time for implementation.

I had this idea a while ago, to somehow be able to have branching missions, where you'd be able to select the outcome of a mission that can end in multiple ways through a dialog box once the mission is over (since theres no way to make the game tell me that automatically without having dune's source code and implementing such a complex system), but I scrapped the idea since it would require the user selecting choices from dialog boxes. I think I talked about this with you and cm and we decided that it's not really worth it.

19 minutes ago, Amander said:

I know what you mean, when you click next it will request campaign map instead.
Perhaps what I should really ask for was Campaign Screen maker, and whenever someone beats a Mission then you go to fail Mission Screen or return to Campaign Screen.

If you have some sort of proof of concept I'd like to see it, I cannot visualize what you want exactly. Maybe provide some small paint-edited images of the current score screen where you edit in your ideas.

Regarding "wether you beat or lose the mission" I would need to check how funky calculated the "Finishing place" or each house, he somehow gathers this info from the game, not sure if he's reading it from the spawn exe or from the normal dune exe. However, I'm not sure if that finishing place works for campaign missions. Since that seems to be the only way the launcher can know if you either won or lost. So yea, a mission lose/win screen in the launcher seems problematic and also, if you ask me, relatively unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Feda said:

Just showing a string like "Next map: C:/Users/Feda/Desktop/Dune 2000/data/missions/wol_a2" doesn't feel that immersive to me lol. Even something like "Next map: WOL_2" or "Next map: Wol Atreides Mission 2" still doesn't seem that makes any difference in my view. What would make a difference is launching the next mission directly from the score screen or something, which is indeed potentially nice but might not be worth the time for implementation.

I had this idea a while ago, to somehow be able to have branching missions, where you'd be able to select the outcome of a mission that can end in multiple ways through a dialog box once the mission is over (since theres no way to make the game tell me that automatically without having dune's source code and implementing such a complex system), but I scrapped the idea since it would require the user selecting choices from dialog boxes. I think I talked about this with you and cm and we decided that it's not really worth it.

If you have some sort of proof of concept I'd like to see it, I cannot visualize what you want exactly. Maybe provide some small paint-edited images of the current score screen where you edit in your ideas.

Regarding "wether you beat or lose the mission" I would need to check how funky calculated the "Finishing place" or each house, he somehow gathers this info from the game, not sure if he's reading it from the spawn exe or from the normal dune exe. However, I'm not sure if that finishing place works for campaign missions. Since that seems to be the only way the launcher can know if you either won or lost. So yea, a mission lose/win screen in the launcher seems problematic and also, if you ask me, relatively unnecessary.

This is the Campaign Screen you get when you lose a Mission, perhaps you can load a Custom one.

image.png.5ebcb682cdb6341985087dd067f63ed1.png

Edited by Amander

6 minutes ago, Amander said:

This is the Campaign Screen you get when you lose a Mission, perhaps you can load a Custom one.

image.png.5ebcb682cdb6341985087dd067f63ed1.png

Ah, if you're talking about mimicking the territory attack map from the vanilla game inside the launcher, then nope, I won't be doing that. Would take a considerable amount of effort to think and build a mechanism that can do this for custom missions, and in my opinion it adds to little to be worth the investment.

3 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

There wasn't a post on somebody creating some kind of tool to achieve that (or at least research done)? although I think it is on hiatus.

I think it was lovalmidas. But that was for the vanilla campaigns, not for custom missions. It was basically recreating the vanilla map selection FOR the vanilla missions.

2 hours ago, Feda said:

I think it was lovalmidas. But that was for the vanilla campaigns, not for custom missions. It was basically recreating the vanilla map selection FOR the vanilla missions.

but if I recall he was finding that you could alter the position of the territories and recolor for the ATr.Har.Ord in other positions, even if you are tied to the "only those three" and "only 9 missions", 

• Enable missions and define them on the campaign map, which were disabled by the original devs (A4V2, A5V2, A7V2...), provided you have made the missions for them.
  • Change how the regions move around. With creativity you could make very interesting map progress with the 27 regions given to you.
  • If you have new icons, this file can help you adjust their placement on the map. If you have new regions, you might have to look at the executable instead.

So maybe you are still tied to things like the naming and stuff, returning to the old "overwritte the originals", I don't know.