windows 10 and dune 2000 issues

Striking Drekavac

i have specific hardware specs..

mobo - asus prime b450m gaming

32gb ram

amd ryzen 3 2200g  3.2ghz

windows 10.

i have installed the gruntmods edition and the hotfix but game is crashing computer, creating next desktop with windows key and tab does not work,it still wont let me open process manager.. only black screen

running game in full screen is disaster.,but if i run the game in windowed mode i can control it if game crash so dont need to restart whole computer.. tried identify ussue but seems that its bit deeper,..

i have enabled direct play in windows features and functions menu but this didnt solve the problem...

cant edit the orginal post but game crashes are not static,they do not happen always at same time,sometimes they crash after minute,once was able to play for half hour and most times 10-25 minutes.

i tried to setup virtual machine with windows XP to play dune 2000 but it crashed aswell.  same crashes happen in windows 8.1 but if i grab my old potato with 4gb ram and quad intel cpu with windows 7 game runs with no any crashes...

my conclusion is that all game crashes might be related to memory,how the win 10 uses it.

i was not able to find any solution so as windows 10 suer i am not able to play dune 2000 with my current knowledge,unless someone know how to run the game without crashing whole computer..

5 hours ago, Striking Drekavac said:

yes done that,still freezes after random minutes. 

and did you try downloading the "windows 10 fix" from gruntmods webpage? I cannot say you too much options besides that and using the config.exe and trying with multiple configurations. I have been playing with gruntmods since, 8-10 years by now, with a few formating here and there and changing S.O and the game worked on Xp, on 7 and on windows 10 just fine.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 2:42 PM, Striking Drekavac said:

cant edit the orginal post but game crashes are not static,they do not happen always at same time,sometimes they crash after minute,once was able to play for half hour and most times 10-25 minutes.

i tried to setup virtual machine with windows XP to play dune 2000 but it crashed aswell.  same crashes happen in windows 8.1 but if i grab my old potato with 4gb ram and quad intel cpu with windows 7 game runs with no any crashes...

my conclusion is that all game crashes might be related to memory,how the win 10 uses it.

i was not able to find any solution so as windows 10 suer i am not able to play dune 2000 with my current knowledge,unless someone know how to run the game without crashing whole computer..

I recently tried a fix that seems to be working, but only time will tell if it really does.  I'm launching the game from the application in the folder instead of using the gruntmods launcher, just in case the compatibility mode isn't applying.  So far, so good - I've gone from regular crashes within the hour to two days of gameplay without a crash.

If it's a mission that can only be launched from the mission launcher, I've been starting up there, saving immediately, quitting, then launching again from the folder application, and loading from the game main menu.  A little roundabout, but better than regular game crashes.

Really wish Windows 7 was still readily available.  It's much better for compatibility with just about everything in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

@Striking Drekavac Having checked the fix I mentioned on three separate Windows 10 machines now, I can confirm I haven't had a single crash in 3 weeks.  The one time I forgot to quit from the initial launch, and start up using the separate application though, my game crashed within minutes, as if to emphasise I had the right solution.

Happily, however, I've got my Windows 7 PC fixed, and it's running more smoothly than any Win 10 machine I've ever touched.

• 1 month later...

Evening. I just loaded up the latest version of the game. Thank you for keeping a fond memory alive!

That said when i start the game. It shows a double screen of the game. The sound seems right. However the colors are badly distorted. making it hard to look at never mind play. If i knew how to make an URL image I'd display it.

Any ideas on how to correct it?