What's with this weird Ordos mission 4?

Baldazar

So I just found out about this mission. It's an alternative 4th mission for ordos but when you are on the map after the 3rd mission you only have 1 choice. The mission also is a really weird one where you start with pretty well established base you get constant substantial reinforcements and there is an easy starport for the taking. Was this some sort of scrapped mission that remained in the files or what?

59 minutes ago, Baldazar said:

So I just found out about this mission. It's an alternative 4th mission for ordos but when you are on the map after the 3rd mission you only have 1 choice. The mission also is a really weird one where you start with pretty well established base you get constant substantial reinforcements and there is an easy starport for the taking. Was this some sort of scrapped mission that remained in the files or what?

What version are you talking about? gruntmods, dunewebmaster?; did you downloaded the mission launcher from funky or for Feda here on the forum (or elsewhere)?

I remember that somebody here on this forum released a second version of the Ordos maps that only had 1 version, so they are not official at all, just done by someone here.

Ps: I found the post

It was done by Domaithianus 3 years ago. Theese will add new versions inspired on the originals, you can read the post for more info.

Edited by Cm_blast

I ask because there are multiple options around there.

So, you are playing using the "start new game" from the game or are you using the mission launcher? Those missions could be included with gruntmods, but you can only play them with that such mission launcher.

These are the missions done by Doma; they have the same naming as the original files, 

image.thumb.png.e783e6e6048ed0c01cd8845033523765.png

However, I am not sure which mission are you talking about.
Ordos mission 4 only have 1 option (oficial), the capturing the outpost.
The Ordos mission 3º version (there is no second, and this is not official) don't have what you describe, and version 4º begin with a few buildings but you don't get any reinforcements at all. So nothing match you description.

Can you send a screenshot of that mission?

Edited by Cm_blast

The mission I'm talking about is only accessible through the mission select screen:  https://i.imgur.com/3ZXyVyd.png

This is how it looks when you start the mission:

ph8aKqj.jpg

This is where you constantly get reinforcements:

QwyW7s2.jpg

As you can see a plane is just arriving with reinforcements which include troopers and trikes and/or quads.

This is where the starport is with a small base of a brown player:

lCoXYCz.jpg

In this screenshot I've already captured the starport as well as 2 wind farms and a refinery. I built the barracks myself. This part of the base also included quite a few more wind farms as well as a heavy factory and had like 7-8 gun turrets. The brown player also has another base to the west just above the explored area. It has an outpost a refinery some gun turrets, and unit production buildings. Above that base in the upper left corner is a small Harkonnen base. The objective of the mission is to capture the outpost of the brown player that is below the Harkonnen base.

Edited by Baldazar

Oh yes, I remember that; I searched and that mission was, indeed, another custom mission done for a third person, not official.

There is a group of missions named "changed dune" which contained some alternative versions of the missions but also, with the pack of maps, it had modifications so the Atreides couldn't build the quad, Harkonnen couldn't build light infantry but a flamethrower infantry and a few more changes.

I think he have the original naming, so the mission select it's trying to load a file named O4v2, which "doesn't exist" in the original game but because that mission was done now it does.

This is the minimap from that mission, you may reconize the initial area and those purple units on the top-right being part of the player which also get reinforcements there.

image.png.546c2db7279095acf224bc61448f75e6.png

So in short: no, this is not any original-scrapped mission, but another custom mission done by MustaphaTR.  If it loads correctly it's because he gave his maps the same name, so this map, with some other more custom missions maps done are included into the game.

Ps: this editions I talk about of the flamethrower need to be added later in a separated file, you won't see them applied into your game directly, so don't worry about this.

If by the time you finish all the original missions and feel curious on those custom missions, my recomendation goes to download any campaign you may want to try from the forum before using the mission launcher, first because the mission launcher itself it's outdated, with the new one having plenty of new stuff, but the campaigns or missions itself may be also outdated.

But I won't bother you with tons of details. By the time come I will tell you how to get the lastest mission launcher which includes a few interesting campaigns where you travel to other worlds besides Arrakis and, even if you are not into that, other more classic campaigns still gets advantage of the new features (for example, the modifications I told early will load into your mission but only for that mission, so you can still play a vanilla mission after you are finish whatever modded map).

Edited by Cm_blast