D2kEditor with Structures Editor (TibEd replacement) preview release!

Klofkac

48 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

load .bin files from other folders

The editor has been reading my various versions of the mod from the CustomCampaignData folder :P It goes off whichever map you have up, and which mod that map is meant to load.

42 minutes ago, Fey said:

The editor has been reading my various versions of the mod from the CustomCampaignData folder :P It goes off whichever map you have up, and which mod that map is meant to load.

but did you try with only a few .bin files and not the whole pack?

And what if I want to look at different templates from different missions/campaigns? If you are looking at how I did certain thing on whatever mission, you need to search and remember exactly which campaign and mission was, which it is far from ideal loading missions that may not be together and yes, looking on the CustomCampaignData also require searching, but there are 12 folder of custom campaign data while there are, I don't know, 500-700 files containing maps from all the authors, you may not even remember exactly which ones uses mods or not.

Edited by Cm_blast

3 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

only a few .bin files

Well, the way the new launcher works is, it takes files from custom campaign data and uses it in place of the normal files. Otherwise, the normal files are used. So the new editor seems to do the same thing where if certain files are unchanged, it'll use the normal version

5 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

look at different templates

1976060732_modsfolder.png.ff546c8f9f3d757bb6936bff1d64c331.png

:D I've been keeping a second window open to refer to other changes. But, you can swap between mods here in mission settings.

trying to add another  rocket turret (shooting sonic tank gun) causes game to crash. i am using the modded  templates.bin from the there ,opened the map editor,launched structure editor and added new large turrets for atreides/ordos/harkonnen.. they are all just copiesof exsisting ones but just changed their weapon.. but game crash if i try to place it.

what i need to modify yet?

3 hours ago, Striking Drekavac said:

trying to add another  rocket turret (shooting sonic tank gun) causes game to crash. i am using the modded  templates.bin from the there ,opened the map editor,launched structure editor and added new large turrets for atreides/ordos/harkonnen.. they are all just copiesof exsisting ones but just changed their weapon.. but game crash if i try to place it.

what i need to modify yet?

New to D2k modding? :)

It's kind of a hassle to add new units in D2k. You may need to replace pre-existing stuff to get the new turrets you desire. You can add a new TYPE of building, but adding new structures in the list on the right will cause shenanigans.

Try setting one of the Rocket Turrets to be owned by all factions, then change one of the other Rocket Turrets to the sort you want. You'll need to give it a new building type in the list on the left. That will work just fine.

what i have done so far?

1. "copied" large gun turret

2. made atreides rocket turret available for evryone and harkonnen and ordos turrets were  disabled from any houses.

3. copied the harkonnen rocket turret

4. added new and did paste the copy over the new so there was two harkonnen rocket turrets. but the new one has no icon,its black while original icon has rocket turret icon.

5. game still crash with invalid blit error..

5a. something i noticed: when i went to bulding art and selected original harkonnen rocket turret it had 15 frames on right screen section,the cloned turret did not have any so i put the 15 frames on it but  i see a another problem.

while original turret has greyed square with no image text the cloned turret had construction yard animation in those 15 frames. .. so i trashed the cloned harkonnen rocket turret and tried with another bulding - smuggler starport but same result as with harkonnen turret,game crash and it also had construction yard crane animation

===========================

reproduction steps.

1. open the dune2k map editor.

2. go to bulding editor

3. in structures tab on the left select large gun turret and copy it

4. in next section you create new bulding and copy harkonnen large turret then paste over new.

5. go to bulding art tab

6. look at original harkonnen large turret art,on the right part there is frame from 0 to frame 15. look at your copied turret - zero frames.

7. add the missing frames under buildup field,tye 15 and hit change..

8. save and launch game.

you can bypass the step 7,in both ways game will crash if you try build anything.

i did this aswell but didnt work, it still crash.

4a make atreides large turret available for all houses, harkonnen and ordos large rocket turrets  were  taken away from any owners.

Edited by Striking Drekavac

Yep, you're making a new unit in the wrong area. See here:

Spoiler

1595589072_greengood.thumb.png.bd268530d12400886dfa52627149111a.png

Making a unit in the red area will attempt to put a new sidebar icon in. That'll cause graphical glitches so bad it crashes the game. You can add a new TYPE on the left, in the green area. Don't add too many, but adding some works. Make one of the Rocket Turrets available for all factions, then DON'T DUPLICATE ONE OF THE OTHERS. Instead, OVERWRITE one of the others.

ohhh that  did work. thank you so much you da great man...

so practically we can replace some duplicated buldings with that as i see..

so adding sidebar stuff causes game to crash :(

but hey now atleast have own minigun,  created one HMG gun turret,they are pretty bad range but great for infantry :D the sonic cannon  works too.

ohh theres last problem left for solving..

i cant put the new turrets on map. i can build them but not place on maps. and seems like ai does not build them too.

----------------------

looks like theres another problem. i have two extra rocket turrets now but adding gun turrets same way does not work. .. 

Edited by Striking Drekavac

On 10/31/2020 at 4:53 AM, Striking Drekavac said:

created one HMG gun turret

if you're looking for a 'machine gun' turret, I'd direct you to this other thread here:

this is an outdated "replacement" style mod since that was all we knew to do at the time, but the graphical assets are there.

i cant put the new turrets on map. i can build them but not place on maps. and seems like ai does not build them too.

did you save changes to the mod? once you've made changes, save them and they should appear on the sidebar, like so:
1424416022_ontheside.thumb.png.84e41eb09c742aa9c364df8e4c94de9f.png

the AI needs to be told to build new stuff :P hit F10 and check the AI settings. there should also be an AI manual in the editor folder

i have two extra rocket turrets now but adding gun turrets same way does not work. .. 

yes it does! I did this for my mod, changing up all the Gun Turrets and Rocket Turrets into various things. be sure that you repeated the steps exactly! also, if you did and it still doesn't work, it may be that your tiledata.bin is limited, but Klof's tiledata.bin should account for the added stuff. that would also be the reason something doesn't appear on the side in the editor, that is if your tiledata.bin doesn't have parameters set for new stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Amander said:

You think you can maybe add Explosion Radius and Instant Hit to your Structure Editor features?

Those are already there! Check the armor tab for armor and warheads, and check weapon data for instant hit.

Some update from me: During last week I was working on internal code changes in D2kEditor (some important refactoring which was needed to keep further development manageable and preparation for continuing with planned features). This has almost no visible effect for the users of program, it just changes how things internally work, so the only actual visible new feature are translated building and unit names, which I showed here some time ago.

@Fey I'm uploading the current version here and I would like to ask you to take it and use it regularly for your normal work. Not because of new features, but I need someone who can test it thoroughly by regular use, in order to find any possible bugs or problems caused by the changes. Please, let me know if you observe any change in behavior or bug or any other problem. @Cm_blast @Feda If you can join too, it would be really good. Thank you all!

D2kEditorv2.0pre3_test.zip

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Feda said:

@Klofkac I am getting an exception after selecting the dune directory (with the test version you last posted), with the first-time-run prompt. No idea why, the dune exe is the same I used for all versions

The editor is by itself in the folder. Did you move it to your D2k editor folder so the other components are read? Add an underscore or something to the name of the old editor executable so you can return it to its proper place later, if you want.

1 minute ago, Fey said:

The editor is by itself in the folder. Did you move it to your D2k editor folder so the other components are read? Add an underscore or something to the name of the old editor executable so you can return it to its proper place later, if you want.

I never had it in my dune directory, I was setting the path the first time I run it and that was it, never had to move it in the same folder as dune and it always worked.

13 minutes ago, Feda said:

I never had it in my dune directory, I was setting the path the first time I run it and that was it, never had to move it in the same folder as dune and it always worked.

Not the d2k folder itself, but the d2k EDITOR folder. Where the config, tileset INIs, and other data is?

5 hours ago, Feda said:

I am getting an exception after selecting the dune directory (with the test version you last posted), with the first-time-run prompt. No idea why, the dune exe is the same I used for all versions

This might be because with this upload I did not include all needed files along with the editor (those config, tilesets... folders). You need to take those folders/files from the previous installation of editor, or replace the exe in the current folder where you editor is (and back up your original exe).

I'm still working on further changes in D2kEditor and that ugly error you got is addressed and should not happen anymore (instead, editor will say meaningful error message that it cannot find a specific file). I am going to upload a newer testing version soon, so please stay tuned and take it once it's out. But for now you can still use the one I already uploaded, the sooner you discover any bug the better.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

the sooner you discover any bug the better.

Nothing so far, except one of my AIs decided to mass Devastators when I specifically instructed it to build Heavy Combat Tanks. I dunno if that has to do with the new version, if maybe it has something to do with the way the editor reads from the game files, none of my other maps have had the AI do weird things like that, but I figure I might as well pass it along.

Ah I see, I understand now. Makes sense, thx for clarification.

Could that devastator ai bug be related to the fact that you added more unit types or something, and the ai editor didnt sync with the newly added types? Or does it already sync? Didnt get a chance to have a look at how the ai editor handles new unit types yet.

5 minutes ago, Feda said:

Or does it already sync?

The prior stable version synced up perfectly with all the changes I've been making. The new build Klof recently linked seems to be exactly the same, but on the first map I edited with it, this weird behavior occurred. I fixed it by dropping the tech level, it didn't need to be so high, so it wasn't a real problem, but still. Maybe it did have something to do with the editor, so I figured I ought to report it. :P

18 hours ago, Fey said:

Nothing so far, except one of my AIs decided to mass Devastators when I specifically instructed it to build Heavy Combat Tanks. I dunno if that has to do with the new version, if maybe it has something to do with the way the editor reads from the game files, none of my other maps have had the AI do weird things like that, but I figure I might as well pass it along.

Thanks for report, but I do not have sufficient information to be able to do anything with that. Also you seem not to be sure if that problem has anything to do with new version of editor, or it is just a coincidence. So please try to investigate what could happen, if some AI property was changed when it shouldn't or anything similar, and once you're sure it's a bug in editor and describe what exactly is happening, I will be able to look at it and fix it. Thank you.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:58 AM, Klofkac said:

exactly

I don't really have any other info on that one. I played around with it a little, couldn't figure out why it was happening, found my own workaround, hasn't happened again, wasn't a big deal. There was something else though! I noticed the latest builds of the editor don't give me an alert if I try to save with over 1000 units on the map. I considered that maybe it's the former unknown specials it's reading to generate visually on the map in the editor, and tried placing normal units that already existed on the map, but that didn't give me an alert either. Perhaps that's simpler to figure out and fix.