RA version allows Ornithopters to be made can regular version do the same?

firefly101

6 hours ago, firefly101 said:

Hello,

I read in the RA version of Dune 2000 that ornithopters can be made like vehicles and used. Can the same be done with the regular Dune 2000 in a setting etc? I tried to do so and they didn't fly, instead moving like a quad etc.

It's possible the special case behavior exists, but until that's found there is one idea we had for a fixed wing aircraft. It would require an extensive workaround, but you could play with infantry and aircraft on the same map, maybe light vehicles too, but no heavy vehicles.

OpenRA is a different engine, so it's not comparable to Dune 2000. If you have the graphics for a fixed-wing aircraft you'd like to implement in-game, I would be happy to help ya out with the workaround. :P

Edit: As a side note, a new spriteset for a smaller Harvester would complement the workaround really well. That's complex though since the Harvester has some other animations that would also need to be done, but I'm just saying. And as a side-side note, the value of the blobs brought back to the Refinery can also be changed.

On second thought, maybe no light vehicles. If they could move around, the aircraft might be able to crush infantry, which would break everything, unless you. I mean, it'd be possible with infantry and aircraft only on, like, a Heighliner map, or some map where the player doesn't need to harvest anything. It's clunky anyway. The idea for the workaround involves heavily modifying the attributes of the terrain, which is why it's so clunky.

Edited by Fey