[Updated] Map and Mission Editor new major version 2.0 pre-release 2

Klofkac

WOW, yes I would use this over TibEd any day! TibEd actually limits my modding like Feda said, one has to know all the unknown bytes and its a pain to remember or look every one of them up and some are only discussed on discord which some can't use like myself.

Again, it looks great and would help others like myself mod more!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you all for your replies and opinion! I'm really very happy to hear you're interested in using the Structures Editor (replacement of TibEd) I'm currently working on. I will indeed continue on it! If there are even more of people interested in this, just put your vote here.

Forgot to mention one thing, that the structures editor will be built-in into D2kEditor, so you will use just one program for all the stuff. The advantage will be that you can easily reflect the changes in the map you're currently working on immediately, and there will be support for CustomCampaignData and Mods folders too.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:31 PM, Darlax said:

I would also love the new "TibEd". 😬😁

Darlax~

Oh, it's really nice to see a new member here! Thank you for joining and posting here.

Anyway, here's more progress: Unit editor!

obrazek.thumb.png.2d666806a5c6c6fe4a9bca8e018651f9.png

Edited by Klofkac
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

Thank you

Marry me

26 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

more progress

Please

Seriously though, this is great stuff. XD Awesome, amazing. What's the plan for the other stuff this new, superior TibEd can do? Weapons, warheads, armor, speed parameters? I notice that vehicles with a fixed barrel always turn super fast when firing no matter how bad you make the turn rate, and I tried adjusting the barrel turn rate too. Any idea if there's a way to fix that?

We are all eagerly excited to see what comes next. :D

Edit: Oh, and any idea if the art for turrets can be set to use the Harkonnen or Ordos sets of sprites? Right now, even the freaking walls have different art settings that work, but check turrets and you get this crap:

1658508983_turretmemes.png.243f33625b1ed8bc3ec0a05f599b6058.png

Only two types of 32-framed, animated, turning turrets are permitted, even though there's space allocated for six sets of sprites. :( I mean, it's possible to use stationary turret designs en masse, like the Storm Lasher megaturret or this piece of crap I slapped together:
tesla.png.b9ae928cfa45b4829f57e88c180a5cd4.png
But, muh animations!

Edited by Fey

25 minutes ago, Fey said:

What's the plan for the other stuff this new, superior TibEd can do? Weapons, warheads, armor, speed parameters?

My goal is to make editable every data within Templates.BIN, ARMOUR.BIN, SPEED.BIN and BUILEXP.BIN, so everything you mention. This is huge load of work to do, but hopefully we'll get there. Buildings and units are the most complicated forms, the others should be easier, I hope.

28 minutes ago, Fey said:

I notice that vehicles with a fixed barrel always turn super fast when firing no matter how bad you make the turn rate, and I tried adjusting the barrel turn rate too. Any idea if there's a way to fix that?

Did not try that, so no idea, sorry.

28 minutes ago, Fey said:

Oh, and any idea if the art for turrets can be set to use the Harkonnen or Ordos sets of sprites? Right now, even the freaking walls have different art settings that work, but check turrets and you get this crap:

Yes, my editor will allow you select whatever building art, even those unused Harkonnen and Ordos turret and barrel sprite sets. It's actually a limitation of TibEd it doesn't allow you to select them. So you will be able to select up to 6 different turret and barrel sprite sets, meaning 6 different turret types without adding new image entries into DATA.R16. Same applies to Repair Pad and IX Research Centre building art.

• Like 1

I get to vote?
Lol.

Ok, I think that if you make an editor that does a better job than TibEd. Go for it!!!
Who knows what kind of beautiful designs will come from it.

Sometimes a different editor (wheter it is better or worse) will open up new options.

I used to have 2 editors for Starcraft/Broodwar. Making the layout of the map, after altering other statistics. Most of my maps in those days needed 2 independend editors.

I don't know if it is possible with TibEd and your editor. But seeing as how you are actively changing your editor. You can add stuff that others here request. That is a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

Yes, my editor will allow you select whatever building art, even those unused Harkonnen and Ordos turret and barrel sprite sets. It's actually a limitation of TibEd it doesn't allow you to select them.

OMG YOU'RE AMAZING!! Klof, do you know the hex codes for that shit? Cm wants to know, and I'd love to try that shit out rn lol. Also do you know if it'd be possible to slap a Gun Turret head on a vehicle's chassis without needing to port the spriteset to some other slot?

Edited by Fey

10 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Thank you all for your replies and opinion! I'm really very happy to hear you're interested in using the Structures Editor (replacement of TibEd) I'm currently working on. I will indeed continue on it! If there are even more of people interested in this, just put your vote here.

Forgot to mention one thing, that the structures editor will be built-in into D2kEditor, so you will use just one program for all the stuff. The advantage will be that you can easily reflect the changes in the map you're currently working on immediately, and there will be support for CustomCampaignData and Mods folders too.

Oh, it's really nice to see a new member here! Thank you for joining and posting here.

Anyway, here's more progress: Unit editor!

obrazek.thumb.png.2d666806a5c6c6fe4a9bca8e018651f9.png

That's some sexy stuff man, looking forward to this! :) Didn't even know there's a "No AI" thing for units, I don't know what it does but this tool is great if it reveals all we know about the units. No more "damn lets look through the discord chat history to find that one byte I need"

On 9/17/2020 at 12:01 AM, Fey said:

do you know the hex codes for that shit?

I already posted the meaning of bytes in the other thread, so building art is at position 20 and barrel art at position 24 (decimal). Turret base are values 10, 12, 28, 30, 46, 48 and barrels are 11, 13, 29, 31, 47, 49 (all decimal, you need to concert these to hex if you use hex editor). Only first two of base and barrel are used, othe others are unused and can be replaced by any custom stuff.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:01 AM, Fey said:

Also do you know if it'd be possible to slap a Gun Turret head on a vehicle's chassis without needing to port the spriteset to some other slot?

No, this is not possible. Building and unit arts are strictly distinct.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, Feda said:

Didn't even know there's a "No AI" thing for units, I don't know what it does

I already posted it in my unit template research, this is one of the many flags. This one makes the unit completely ignored by AI, the unit is not even in guarding mode if placed on map for some player with AI. There are some more flags, some of them also affecting AI, for example one makes AI always assign group 1 to that unit (so it is only in guarding mode and not doing anything else) and one turns the unit into attack mode (if placed on map, the unit goes to attack immediately). I'm not sure whether those flags can be reasonably used for any purpose, so I did not place them as checkboxes, but you can still enter them manually with Flags field.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

Not sure if it was achieved before, I made Sietch able to train Fremen, and it is completely separated queue from barracks queue and any other build queues.

I only achieve to make the Sietch to behave as barracks, but still using same queue. Although not sure in your case if you used other queues (facts, HTF, Palaces...).

7 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Although not sure in your case if you used other queues (facts, HTF, Palaces...).

That's the main point - I did not use any other existing queue.

I discovered, that in Dune 2000 there is fixed limited number of build queues and unit-production-type buildings. However, there is exactly one unused build queue. Probably it was originally meant for WOR or Sietch or something like that, as it is next to Barracks queue. I discovered how to make this queue usable - I needed to edit a specific byte in the unknown part of Templates.bin file. There is a group of bytes that determine a building type responsible of a specific build queue, so I edited the unused one to "Sietch".

2 hours ago, Klofkac said:

I discovered, that in Dune 2000 there is fixed limited number of build queues and unit-production-type buildings. However, there is exactly one unused build queue. Probably it was originally meant for WOR or Sietch or something like that, as it is next to Barracks queue. I discovered how to make this queue usable - I needed to edit a specific byte in the unknown part of Templates.bin file. There is a group of bytes that determine a building type responsible of a specific build queue, so I edited the unused one to "Sietch".

That sounds amazing! I guess this will be available in the new editor, since I already have a plan to use this at some point when I'll start working on a new sequel.

5 hours ago, Klofkac said:

That's good. Yeah, could be probably the WOR. Did you try to place the sietch without any rift? to see how the "building" (and other units) react with units moving around and stuff like that.

Edited by Cm_blast