Templates.bin research

lovalmidas

4 hours ago, firefly101 said:

Here is my Bin file so you can see what I edited.

I might be able to give it a look later, but not at the moment. I still wanted to reply.

I miiight be mistaken about the byte. Maybe that's a different unit. If you have a test map, try placing every unit possible and see if one of them IS stealthed? If so, it worked but the change was applied to the wrong unit. Uhh... in which case it should be the same column and a similar row number, up or down.

Uhh... are non-stealth Fremen the LAST thing in the thing? The last unit bytes before a looong space to the rest. That might be the clump of bytes to inject that change in...

48 minutes ago, firefly101 said:

I want to change the stealth fremen without the attibute stealth

Ok, so you want the stealth Fremen (the one that comes out of Atr Palace and is produced automatically for free) to be made non-stealth? If so, then I guess this cannot be done, the "special behavior" setting gives the unit BOTH auto-production AND stealth attribute. You can only set the Stealth flag, not remove.

7 hours ago, firefly101 said:

Do you have the byte for the other fremen?

Ahh, you want the STEALTH Fremen to be non-stealth?

Yeah, as Klof said, it's special case behavior which can be edited through TibEd. The special case is a lump of hardcode that makes it have a bunch of things. There's no way to have the Fremen stealth behavior AND the special queue behavior.

However, you can remove the special case behavior and the non-stealth Fremen will be built from the Atreides Palace on a separate queue from other infantry.

Queues are probably gonna be a thing your mod misses out on, so... hopefully spreading the infantry around to some different factories helps. I have Golden Lion Barracks sprites if you want more sprites for Barracks-like structures.

@Klofkac I ran into weird bug while hecking with my mod and I'm wondering if you have any insight into why this might be happening...

For some reason, the SLasher megaturret is acting as the ConYard. Byte 92 is 0 on the SLasher and 2 on all ConYards, no structures have the SLasher as a prerequisite, the SLashers doesn't have ConYard behavior, nothing seems out of the ordinary. Beginning a map with a SLasher and no ConYard means other structures that have their prerequisites met are on the sidebar, but can't be build because buildspeed is multiplied by zero due to no structure with Byte92=2 on the map. Deploying the ConYard makes Concrete, Wind Traps and Barracks available.

Here are the necessary mod files (graphics and sounds will be screwy):
EDIT: It was the tech level. Weird, but the ConYards need to be set to tech level 9. Because the SLasher was set to 9, it became the ConYard.

Not asking you to fix this for me or anything, I've got backups to revert to of course, but I thought this bizarre occurrence might be interesting to look into. The SLasher replaces the Atreides High Tech Factory's behavior, if that helps with testing.

Edited by Fey

No The attribute in Tibed for Fremen give the stealth ability, I disabled this as I wanted to be able to Queue the Fremen out of the palace like a normal unit. By by disabling this attribute in Tibed you no longer have stealth function for the unit. I want to add the Byte 56 setting of 16 to the Stealth Fremen unit, so I get the stealth feature without the limitation of the attribute in Tibed. Its really simple, I just need the right Hex location to give stealth to the Stealth fremen, the one Fey gave me is for the Non Stealth fremen which needs the sietch to build. I hope I am more clear as you both misunderstood me.

The Stealth feature for Fremen is a hardcoded thing that has other stuff added like timer etc. I just want the stealth feature normal, which the byte 56 does, but I need to applied to the right unit which is the other fremen unit. The given to me affects the Non Stealth Fremen.

Edited by firefly101

Pardon, been a bit busy. :P If I check in, I may not be able to reply right away. Just FYI, if you saw me stop by again a while ago.

Anyway, it sounds like you want:
 - To remove the queue behavior
 - Keep the stealth
 - Not mess with using a different unit altogether!

If I understand that correctly, there are a few things that need to be pointed out:
 - The queue and stealth are tied together in the special case behavior. You already removed the special case behavior, I think, so that's all well and good.
 - The recently-discovered byte seems to be there in the event a unit picks up a crate containing stealth, the byte would be switched on in that case. This means the stealth behavior can be isolated, which is good news!
 - The bytes are arranged predictably according to the unit index list. Here is a screenshot of the DEFAULT index list:

https://prnt.sc/u2puf1

Knowing that, we can find the right unit (FREMEN) at row 1500, because 21 in decimal converted to hexadecimal is 15. Then it's only a matter of counting down until we get to the byte we want... here, at row 1530, column 08:
https://prnt.sc/u2pu8j

I'm a liiiittle bit absent-minded, so pardon if I don't understand you the first time around. Anyway, that should do it and I hope it helps you figure out how to edit the bytes for other units too, if you desire to do such a thing. :)

9 hours ago, firefly101 said:

then you systematically check each one until it changes something

Nope! At 1500 is byte zero. Byte 56 is literally the 56th byte, so all we gotta do is go a few rows down (each row contains 16 bytes, but the bytes start at zero, so don't count one short!) and there ya go, we find the 56th byte.

I dunno how Klof figures out what each one does, but once they're mapped out, the process of finding and editing them is as simple as that. :)

And no problem, glad to help. :D

Fey, I did a test and if one adjust the templates.bin in the hex and then does use tibed it does undo the change. I just used Tibed after I adjusted my fremen and the stealth effect was removed afterwards. So Tibed does alter any Hex changes, so they have to be done after tibed changes. I was surprised as I thought the change to that byte would not be affected by tibed, but it was.

2 hours ago, firefly101 said:

it does undo the change

I believe I mentioned this. :P Keeping the hex and TibEd open at the same time won't magically beam the saved info from the hex over to TibEd. Once you save changes in the hex, you gotta re-import with TibEd so it contains the new changes to the hex too. And vice-versa too, you'd need to re-open templates in the hex if you saved changes made in TibEd.

No, but don't use both at the same time. If you have TibEd open and the hex as well, saving the hex won't magically transfer your changes to TibEd. I like to restart, then re-import changes to be totally safe. You can keep TibEd open for reference about things you want to change though!

Yeah, right here lol

Edited by Fey

I must have misunderstood you, because it seemed like you were saying just don;'t have both used at the same time. So you did the hex change and then started all over from scratch the changes you made with Tibed and didn't use a save? I used my saved file and it removed the change. Starting over would be a pain as there are a lot of edits, I think its easier to just change the byte after I am done with Tibed. lol

I found the import feature you mentioned which is neat, but When I opened Tibed and then imported the game changes, but when I saved Tibed to game the change for the stealth was gone. I must be missing something?

Edited by firefly101

5 hours ago, firefly101 said:

I found the import feature you mentioned which is neat, but When I opened Tibed and then imported the game changes, but when I saved Tibed to game the change for the stealth was gone. I must be missing something?

When importing something on tibed, first change the tab into "manual"

image.png.c29ce80b59bb692a5fe1643862793fcc.png

If you don't do this, the program won't import anything.

5 hours ago, firefly101 said:

When I opened Tibed and then imported the game changes, but when I saved Tibed to game the change for the stealth was gone. I must be missing something?

That's weird. I keep going back and forth between TibEd and hex, and the changes I make stick around. Must be messing with it somehow...

TibEd's importing isn't perfect. I import three times, once by clicking on the CHOAM Frigate and importing, then on one of the Carryalls and importing again, and then back to the CHOAM Frigate and importing a third time. This seems to make sure every change is imported properly.

Yeah, TibEd is a little funky. :P

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fey said:

Yo @Klofkac, have you looked into speed.bin at all? I'm wondering why units in the red move faster than units in the yellow, and if that can be changed lol

No, I did not really look into speed.bin, as I was fully concentrated at units/buildings game graphics rendering in editor and research about building and unit templates needed for that.

What you mean by "in the red move faster than units in the yellow"? Did not understand this

No worries mate, you're doing a lot of important stuff :) I was just wondering.

4 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

What you mean by "in the red move faster than units in the yellow"?

A tank with yellow HP will move slower than a tank in green or red. It appears the speed reduction from low HP applies only to yellow HP bars, and then the game forgets about it in the red. I mean, the color of the health bar. Below half health is yellow, close to death is red, healthy is green.

Edited by Fey