Birth of the Iron Horse - Campaign Discussion

Birth of an Iron Horse is the seventh mission in the classic campaign of the game Railroad Tycoon II.
Set in England, this mission is all about the 'personal net worth' and the stock market!

These were the win conditions. We start at 1835
Bronze: Highest Player Net Worth in 1855.
Silver: Also have a player net worth of $10 million
Gold: All of the above, but player net worth at $20 million. Company must also be sole-surviving railroad.

So as this was a stock market game rather than a raid road scenario, i quickly setup routes between 3 important cities in south coast of England, which started generating revenues.
I took a bond and ensured that i purchased all the 'other investors' shares and got 100% ownership and we have to do that before your stock splits 2 for 1!

One i had 100% ownership, it was a matter of adding few more lines and issuing from my company and buying stock every year.
Then give yourself crazy dividends.

1536452326_SH240003(1).thumb.jpg.aa9f23c9ffd50e75370f784827db65ba.jpg

Also i got stock of AI company that was doing well. I ignored the other non performing AI company.
I easily got  player net worth > $20 million by the end of 1855 as you can see here
SH240005.thumb.jpg.69670eda06b27cbbff178e04bfb02d01.jpg

The big trouble was being the lone surviving company.  How do we get that?  Whenever i merge a company, i fail !  Do i need to be majority share holder in all AI companies?
I guess i only focused on my company.

Edited by kamyFC

I must admit, the Railroad Tycoon II financial stock market model is unparalleled in any other games to date in terms of complexity and realism.
Essentially its another game within a game!

Kudos to the PopTop team.  

p.s
“Nobody knows if a stock is going to go up, down, sideways or in circles. You know what a fugazi is?”
“Fugayzi, it’s a fake.”
“Fugayzi, fugazi. It’s a whazy. It’s a woozie. It’s fairy dust. It doesn’t exist. It’s never landed. It is no matter. It’s not on the elemental chart. It’s not f’ing real.”

Edited by kamyFC

43 minutes ago, kamyFC said:

The big trouble was being the lone surviving company.  How do we get that?  Whenever i merge a company, i fail !  Do i need to be majority share holder in all AI companies?
I guess i only focused on my company.

Its best to get a majority of shares in an AI company before trying to merge. You can merge with less than a majority sometimes if you offer a very high price. The companies chairman will always vote against a merger in my experience so if the chairman of the AIU company has over 50% of shares in his company you won't be able to merge and may have to make him bankrupt (see the Robber Baron for tips on that) e.g steal all his traffic.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 10:12 PM, Silverback said:

Its best to get a majority of shares in an AI company before trying to merge. You can merge with less than a majority sometimes if you offer a very high price. The companies chairman will always vote against a merger in my experience so if the chairman of the AIU company has over 50% of shares in his company you won't be able to merge and may have to make him bankrupt (see the Robber Baron for tips on that) e.g steal all his traffic.

Ah I see.

Thanks for clarifying that.

• 3 years later...