Help getting original version of Dune 2000

WermRider

Hi guys I am not a fan of Gruntsmod or Cncnet dune 2000. And prefer the original dune2000 abandonia file. However; I am have run this thing on older pc's and managed to get it to work; but i am running on windows10 now; and altho the game works; and i can get into campaign and skirmish; the resolution and mouse movement is jittery; i am wondering if anybody can help me to get this working.

Many thanks

43 minutes ago, WermRider said:

Hi guys I am not a fan of Gruntsmod or Cncnet dune 2000. And prefer the original dune2000 abandonia file. However; I am have run this thing on older pc's and managed to get it to work; but i am running on windows10 now; and altho the game works; and i can get into campaign and skirmish; the resolution and mouse movement is jittery; i am wondering if anybody can help me to get this working.
Many thanks

Hey mate! Check your D2k folder. There should be a program called "Dune2000Config" in there, boot that up and tinker with the settings. On Win10 for me, D2k is running VERY smoothly.

2 hours ago, Fey said:

Hey mate! Check your D2k folder. There should be a program called "Dune2000Config" in there, boot that up and tinker with the settings. On Win10 for me, D2k is running VERY smoothly.

Cheers bro, but my Dune2000.cfg just states one line

"    NONAME                               "    

Could you copy paste yours and i'll see if it works

Hey; Thanks; ill try it now

im looking to get the source image of this map

dune200001-93400.jpg

before it has been coloured; There is a brief moment when u open campaign on starting a new campaign; where this map is displayed without colour or icons.

I don't suppose you know how to get it out of the files do you? I want to make it 3D.

Let me know if you could point me in the right direction Annoyingly I cant take a screen of it : /

Edited by WermRider

18 minutes ago, WermRider said:

Hey; Thanks; ill try it now

im looking to get the source image of this map

dune200001-93400.jpg

before it has been coloured; There is a brief moment when u open campaign on starting a new campaign; where this map is displayed without colour or icons.

I don't suppose you know how to get it out of the files do you? I want to make it 3D.

Let me know if you could point me in the right direction Annoyingly I cant take a screen of it : /

Oh yeah! Uhh... I think that can be found in one of the data files. The resource editor should be able to extract it. And you should be able to find a link to said editor in this here thread:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27756-all-completed-mods-and-tools-index-dune-2000/

Hope that helps. :)

Wow, that actually looks pretty good :D Looking forward to what you're gonna do with them further.

Just to point it out, to avoid a possible confusion, the vanilla game had no Dune2000Config.exe, that is a helper application from the community.

2 hours ago, FedaYkin said:

Wow, that actually looks pretty good :D Looking forward to what you're gonna do with them further.

Just to point it out, to avoid a possible confusion, the vanilla game had no Dune2000Config.exe, that is a helper application from the community.

I still don't know what type of game to make; but what I do know is that I want to use the map; and planet to a > extent than we have seen before.

But in terms of what type of game???

Real-time dynamic simulator with two enemies, three factions; choose faction; and then sort of like one of these AstroEmpires; real world time; random AI; conquest of Arrakis where we heavily use the map; and gameplay rely heavily on tending to the map; and checking up on whats happening in each territory. Expanding base; launching expeditions; something that I could run on a smartphone. :) As RTS I could program yes; but I want something abit simpler. An alt (REAL TIME - in terms of System Clock, my spice flows while I sleep, and AI makes moves throughout the day while im not looking-- kind of strategy game.

Something where the AI could beat you and wipe you off the face of dune in THREE REAL TIME DAYS! if you are not paying attention.

Single Player.

I also want to use REAL TIME as I want to rotate the planet on a real-time cycle. So surveillance of the entire planet is only possible if each location is in daylight which in turn varies gameplay depending on time zone.

Any ideas throw them my way. I could program any type of game; but I wouldn't want to hit a brick wall somewhere. So I like to keep it simple.

Edited by WermRider

4 minutes ago, WermRider said:

I still don't know what type of game to make; but what I do know is that I want to use the map; and planet to a > extent than we have seen before.

But in terms of what type of game???

Real-time dynamic simulator with two enemies, three factions; choose faction; and then sort of like one of these AstroEmpires; real world time; random AI; conquest of Arrakis where we heavily use the map; and gameplay rely heavily on tending to the map; and checking up on whats happening in each territory. Expanding base; launching expeditions; something that I could run on a smartphone. :) As RTS I could program yes; but I want something abit simpler. An alt (REAL TIME - in terms of System Clock, my spice flows while I sleep, and AI makes moves throughout the day while im not looking-- kind of strategy game.

Any ideas throw them my way. I could program any type of game; but I wouldn't want to hit a brick wall somewhere. So I like to keep it simple.

Interesting idea. So you're thinking of a game that would run somewhere in the cloud continuously, right? I mean, that's the only way to keep things happening with your device turned off. Something like a browser game?

I personally am not a big fan of browser games, but if that's what you feel like doing, sure, go ahead. Maybe I never liked them because of the human enemy component: maybe an AI opponent could make it better, idk. But that would also require some powerful hosting I assume.

Programming an entire RTS is indeed a very difficult task, as I am a programmer myself and I worked with game engines like Unity before. I can understand why you'd choose a browser game. What I would personally expect from a browser/mobile phone like you described, to make it enjoyable, is also some sort of diplomacy between the factions involved in the war. For example, if one of the factions gets a lot of territory and becomes a threat to everyone else, the rest could form temporary alliances to cut their opponent down to size. Now that would be something that I would play it for, since you don't find it in many games like this. That's the idea that came up my mind now. I'm sure others can provide some interesting ideas as well.

59 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

Interesting idea. So you're thinking of a game that would run somewhere in the cloud continuously, right? I mean, that's the only way to keep things happening with your device turned off. Something like a browser game?

I personally am not a big fan of browser games, but if that's what you feel like doing, sure, go ahead. Maybe I never liked them because of the human enemy component: maybe an AI opponent could make it better, idk. But that would also require some powerful hosting I assume.

Programming an entire RTS is indeed a very difficult task, as I am a programmer myself and I worked with game engines like Unity before. I can understand why you'd choose a browser game. What I would personally expect from a browser/mobile phone like you described, to make it enjoyable, is also some sort of diplomacy between the factions involved in the war. For example, if one of the factions gets a lot of territory and becomes a threat to everyone else, the rest could form temporary alliances to cut their opponent down to size. Now that would be something that I would play it for, since you don't find it in many games like this. That's the idea that came up my mind now. I'm sure others can provide some interesting ideas as well.

Maybe we can add a pause button. I am also using Unity to do this; I have programmed RTS before and yes its very tedius; but the programming is not an issue; its actually the modelling that becomes an issue for me. I can program complex systems all day long and love it; i can have really nice code in place but no models and thus no way incentive or means to expand on said code. into a work of art. A full RTS is the dream; but requires a team in reality. The idea is not intended to be so much browser based; I just want something not very intense or demanding to play; but has lots of layer of detail to get lost in when you do want to play; for immersive and inside Dune universe. Like having a real time Arrakis in your pocket that changes; where something different is happening or has happened everytime you look at it. Not one of these YouTube adverts clash of clans; something more sophisticated that isnt a money grab, and something that actually has intellectual respect for its playuers. You know lol; the way my mind works man; all sorts of stuff can come into play; like freman planting plants; you know :P  because the plants kill off the spice; and is another way to gain control of Arrakis. There could be lots of ways to take over the planet; or deam the planet spiceless. Maybe you could destroy the guild?

Maybe its just like a simulator; where so many random evenets and random behaviours are programmed in that each game becomes completely unpredictable. With a lot of info and things to look at on the actual territory locations. ALtho we may never see a real battlefield; and its all done via text; defining whether a territory is more suited to be guarded by tanks or infantry; or a mix of the two; or if aircraft are viable in this location; or should you expedition your harvesters to this location or this location; with sub locations within territories.

hmm

Right now anything is on the cards. I just wanna make a Dune Game :P

Like a game of thrones bro Lol Each house all houses are doing stuff; and should be watched and kept track of as any house could grab dune not just the main 3 factions. We give the player lots to do each time they open the app.

Edited by WermRider

3 minutes ago, WermRider said:

Maybe we can add a pause button. I am also using Unity to do this; I have programmed RTS before and yes its very tedius; but the programming is not an issue; its actually the modelling that becomes an issue for me. I can program complex systems all day long and love it; i can have really nice code in place but no models and thus no way incentive or means to expand on said code. into a work of art. A full RTS is the dream; but requires a team in reality. The idea is not intended to be so much browser based; I just want something not very intense or demanding to play; but has lots of layer of detail to get lost in when you do want to play; for immersive and inside Dune universe. Like having a real time Arrakis in your pocket that changes; where something different is happening or has happened everytime you look at it. Not one of these YouTube adverts clash of clans; something more sophisticated that isnt a money grab, and something that actually has intellectual respect for its playuers. You know lol; the way my mind works man; all sorts of stuff can come into play; like freman planting plants; you know :P  because the planets kill off the spice; and is another way to gain control of Arrakis. There could be lots of ways to take over the planet; or deam the planet spiceless. Maybe you could destroy the guild?

Maybe its just like a simulator; where so many random evenets and random behaviours are programmed in that each game becomes completely unpredictable. With a lot of info and things to look at on the actual territory locations. ALtho we may never see a real battlefield; and its all done via text; defining whether a territory is more suited to be guarded by tanks or infantry; or a mix of the two; or if aircraft are viable in this location; or should you expedition your harvesters to this location or this location; with sub locations within territories.

hmm

Right now anything is on the cards. I just wanna make a Dune Game :P

It sounds good, but keep in mind the costs and requirements for such a game. You'd require a powerful hosting service, since, from what I understood, each player would have his own universe, with his own AI players, with his own events and his own state. That sounds expensive if you put it this way. The idea is great, but it does have a cost with it. To be honest, if the cost is too much, you could even rely to events happening only when the game is opened. Or, have some sort of simulation happen if the user did not start the game for x hours, where the state of the universe changes by simulation.

I feel you about the art part, that has been my biggest challenge as well when developing my games. Had to rely on Asset store because I can't model for shit, lol. A text based game would get rid of most of this problem though, so yea, that can be an approach.

You don't need a server; because its single player. It won't be hooked up to a database or network of other players. All data would be stored on a save file (or multiple save files)  on your phone.  There would be no intended p2p at first just the crafting of single player experience; but with a real time twist on it. These types of games existed in the 90s but died out, and made a comeback with smartphones.  Like the real time clock in Pokémon Gold.Silver.Crystal; the entire game contained within. We just ask for permission to use your operating systems clock, and that would be all that is needed. No internet connection; and even if; I can host a GitHub file that links to a page with some text on it; I can write some code in the app that checks if this text == "1" and if it doesn't = "1" then there is an update available and we can link the players devise to a website to download an update. A server isn't always required, it just appears to be the norm nowadays.

9 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

It sounds good, but keep in mind the costs and requirements for such a game. You'd require a powerful hosting service, since, from what I understood, each player would have his own universe, with his own AI players, with his own events and his own state. That sounds expensive if you put it this way. The idea is great, but it does have a cost with it. To be honest, if the cost is too much, you could even rely to events happening only when the game is opened. Or, have some sort of simulation happen if the user did not start the game for x hours, where the state of the universe changes by simulation.

I feel you about the art part, that has been my biggest challenge as well when developing my games. Had to rely on Asset store because I can't model for shit, lol. A text based game would get rid of most of this problem though, so yea, that can be an approach.

You don't need a server; because its single player. It won't be hooked up to a database or network of other players. All data would be stored on a save file (or multiple save files)  on your phone.  There would be no intended p2p at first just the crafting of single player experience; but with a real time twist on it. These types of games existed in the 90s but died out, and made a comeback with smartphones.  Like the real time clock in Pokémon Gold.Silver.Crystal; the entire game contained within. We just ask for permission to use your operating systems clock, and that would be all that is needed. No internet connection; and even if; I can host a GitHub file that links to a page with some text on it; I can write some code in the app that checks if this text == "1" and if it doesn't = "1" then there is an update available and we can link the players devise to a website to download an update. A server isn't always required, it just appears to be the norm nowadays.

p.s I would use as many Dune2k gpx and assets as possible. (I think it would even be legal to do so)  or even if its not we'll still get to find out who actually owns the rights to it if somebody were to ever approach me on it.

Edited by WermRider

1 minute ago, WermRider said:

I mentioned a server as a requirement for the "things happen while I'm sleeping" mechanism. You cannot have things happen naturally while you're sleeping unless you leave the computer/app opened, unless you are using a simulation algorithm to change the world when booting the application after a while. 

I guess it can work on a phone, since you don't generally turn off the phone, and apps can run in the background. But on pc, you're gonna turn it off. Most people do. However on a phone I can see this concept working. Looking forward to your project.

5 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

I mentioned a server as a requirement for the "things happen while I'm sleeping" mechanism. You cannot have things happen naturally while you're sleeping unless you leave the computer/app opened, unless you are using a simulation algorithm to change the world when booting the application after a while. 

I guess it can work on a phone, since you don't generally turn off the phone, and apps can run in the background. But on pc, you're gonna turn it off. Most people do. However on a phone I can see this concept working. Looking forward to your project.

Booting RDM -- check time now; and how long its been since u last played --- to define how many events occurred while you were gone. Sounds like a good idea man. You're right; that thing would sit there using CPU. But if it did sit there using CPU; like most other mobile apps do --- We can run notifications if something serious happens. Like Harkonen just attacked your main base.

Alternatively ---

Each event is randomed when opened; we just calculate how many events had occurred; and the player can open them one by one. And if an event has an effect like --- at RandomTime since you last logged in your spice harvester was destroyed --- then we can deduct the amount of time it was down for from this from profit made during your absence, and work all these things out as and when the event ocurrs.

Edited by WermRider

1 minute ago, WermRider said:

Booting RDM -- check time now; and how long its been since u last played --- to define how many events occurred while you were gone. Sounds like a good idea man. You're right; that thing would sit there using CPU. But if it did sit there using CPU; like most other mobile apps do --- We can run notifications if something serious happens. Like Harkonen just attacked your main base.

Yea, definitely. I think this concept you have here fits a mobile game perfectly. 

Regarding the Dune 2000 assets, I don't think it is legal to use any of them without permission :) Now don't ask me who holds the right now, because I am not sure lol. I know the Dune license is not held by EA, but the Dune 2000 assets copyright is probably on EA, since they took over Westwood's products.

1 minute ago, FedaYkin said:

Yea, definitely. I think this concept you have here fits a mobile game perfectly. 

Regarding the Dune 2000 assets, I don't think it is legal to use any of them without permission :) Now don't ask me who holds the right now, because I am not sure lol. I know the Dune license is not held by EA, but the Dune 2000 assets copyright is probably on EA, since they took over Westwood's products.

Its a risky one for sure, but it might wake EA up a little bit if they do have all these assets (and perhaps more) hoarded somewhere. What we do know is that EA doesn't tend to handle CNC very well.

I would take the risk, and if anybody wanted it taken down who owned the rights then so be it. But I wouldn't let it hold back dev. Afterall the thing doesn't have to make any money

5 minutes ago, WermRider said:

Its a risky one for sure, but it might wake EA up a little bit if they do have all these assets (and perhaps more) hoarded somewhere. What we do know is that EA doesn't tend to handle CNC very well.

I would take the risk, and if anybody wanted it taken down who owned the rights then so be it. But I wouldn't let it hold back dev. Afterall the thing doesn't have to make any money

If it doesn't make money, I don't think they will care. I agree, it shouldn't stop you from making it happen.

So say we have

Factions-
Atreides
Harkonen
Ordos
Tleilaxu
Ixian
Fremen
Sardaukar
Guild
Corrino
Arakeen Smugglers Guild

and within each hour of the day - these factions AI make One Move. and one AI does this once every 10 mins for the hour. So lets reduce it to 6 main factions
Fremen, Atreides, Harkonen, Ordos, Sardaukar, Guild.
Lets say these guys go

00:10 atredes make a move
00:20 harkonen makes a move
00:30 ordos makes a move
00:40 fremen make a move
00:50 sardaukar make a move
01:00 guild make a move

we can sort of structure the code and balance while ensuring that stuff is happening LIVE while you are playing aswell,  

13 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

If it doesn't make money, I don't think they will care. I agree, it shouldn't stop you from making it happen.

I'll throw some code together this evening for some basic starter logic. Implement the basic systems. and get a nice map and planet view. And maybe add some weather whilst continuing to ponder what the actual game should entail when built around these mechanics.

More gameplay theory ---
So lets say the player has some points to spend on forging an alliance with another faction, one point an hour --- the AI get these points to forge their own relationships with other factions once an hour.  Something like this; and we'll keep combat events on their own timeline - based on how long it takes to travel to a location from a location in real(ish) time.  With long expeditions to the other side of the globe taking a long time at first but gradually getting easier as you start to build an empire and claim territory.

Edited by WermRider

I woulf suggest trying to do a natural kind of diplomacy system. What I mean by this is getting an AI which can feel which of his enemies is the biggest threat, based on size, his own interests and geographical position. Once he knows that, he can look for other factions that might have a common enemy and try to ally with those if needed. This applies for the human too: the AI could make an offer if he feels the human is a potential help against another strong AI. This means that if some faction gets powerful, the others who are still somewhat powerful will try to form a coalition. If a small faction is close to the big one and would stand no chance even with a coalition behind, that small faction might attempt to get a non-aggresion pact or alliance with the biggest faction for their own protection.

I know these would make a pretty complex diplomacy system, but it would pay off in my opinion. I have this system in my mind for years, i just never got to actually implement it for something. I am a big fan of natural, person-like AI and i never really enjoyed games where you need to send 5 million gifts to a faction for an alliance. If that faction is in trouble and if i am in trouble as well, against a common opponent, i would expect the ai to accept or even ask me for an alliance, without me having to send 5 million gifts :D

Just a bunch of suggestions, feel free to let me know what you think about them.

2 hours ago, FedaYkin said:

I woulf suggest trying to do a natural kind of diplomacy system. What I mean by this is getting an AI which can feel which of his enemies is the biggest threat, based on size, his own interests and geographical position. Once he knows that, he can look for other factions that might have a common enemy and try to ally with those if needed. This applies for the human too: the AI could make an offer if he feels the human is a potential help against another strong AI. This means that if some faction gets powerful, the others who are still somewhat powerful will try to form a coalition. If a small faction is close to the big one and would stand no chance even with a coalition behind, that small faction might attempt to get a non-aggresion pact or alliance with the biggest faction for their own protection.

I know these would make a pretty complex diplomacy system, but it would pay off in my opinion. I have this system in my mind for years, i just never got to actually implement it for something. I am a big fan of natural, person-like AI and i never really enjoyed games where you need to send 5 million gifts to a faction for an alliance. If that faction is in trouble and if i am in trouble as well, against a common opponent, i would expect the ai to accept or even ask me for an alliance, without me having to send 5 million gifts :D

Just a bunch of suggestions, feel free to let me know what you think about them.

It doesn't sound complex at all.

Keep in mind; a players total power will be the sum of many things -- which could be the number of territory held / number of troops (which is defined by troop type; whose effectiveness is further refined by favouring or unfavoring conditions / weather/Combat conditions.)  I will not restrict the number of alliances that can be made --- as theoretically a global alliance could also result in a victory if achieved. I think certain conditions and behaviours that could be provoked from an AI or performed by Human should hinder alliance making -- like breaking of the convention. But I will make it one of the first thing the AI checks each time the AI updates its code (which may be when the faction specifically updates its turn, he will check all of this data before calculating the best move which will be defined even further by the faction personality --- how likely am I as a personality to form an alliance?  This would put us into the realm of base stats for each faction.

Either way -- what we don't want is a never ending game; We want games to last a few real time days at least - maybe up to a week -- But we want the game to result in victory or loss - and then let players start again with another faction; we don't want to be playing the same save file forever.  So i'll keep this in mind when building it

knowing that the game won't have any substantial graphical meat to it -- in that it wont be like an RTS -- the quality of AI is going to be ++ priority -- in order to make the game good. Here we can say Harkonen alliance will decay quickly; since it is their personality to backstab you.

also

A decay mechanic on Alliances ---> so that we aren't allies unconditionally -- and we are only friends with the factions we are maintaining --> and an alliance can be forgotten

Edited by WermRider