WARCRAFT 3

Duke_Atreides

Some thoughts about RTS and micromanaging

In starcraft i was good, real good, same with brood war. One of the distinctions between good and average in those games was micromanaging. Knowing that if you make 6 scv's instead of 8 before making your first barracks often meant a win instead of a loss.

Other micromanaging aspects. In ww games there's no "patrol" shortcut key. In SC and BW there are patrol keys, highlight a player, tell it to patrol, and walk away happy. Thats actually LESS micromanaging. Less micromanaging on rescources in blizzard games than ww games also. I never had to tell scv's where to mine minerals after my first point and click, in ww's emperor you CONSTANTLY have to check where your harvestors are harvestoring

Yet more micromanaging tid pits. in SC and BW you can build ANYWHERE, not just in a predesigned set of land masses, but anywhere (except for water) Yes this aspect adds to micromanaging, but you don't know the fun of blocking someone in their base by building a base just outside until you do it

So yes, WCIII is not SC and BW, but it's the same engine, similar short cut keys. And from the articles i've read WCIII is going to be an even better interface that SC and BW. They will allow for more than 8 players in one game. Special game characteristics will arise when certain houses are allied (thats right, heros will become more heroic when certain houses align). The graphics are ten times as good as WCII, (better than SC and BW too if you ask me)

My opinion is that if you want a very good 3d game then do not get WCIII since blizzard never got into the 3d as much as ww did. BUt if you want a real good RTS game then spend the money. I can guarntee you that blizzard supports their games better than ww, and that point for point blizzards games are more fun for RTS too. WW doesn't even let you dl maps while in game mode, you have to go offline to do it, and then look for people that have the same exact map, bah!

sounds awsome,Im deffinatally goin for warIII ;DI love the patrol button.I used to play warII on a network game and we would always use money cheats,that was fun :DAnother cool thing is that you have to cut down trees and get oil and stuff like that.Cant wait till warIII

I'm selling sticks :)

Navaros, you are being very critical considering you haven't even seen the single-player part of the game yet NOR the finished version of multiplayer. I think you may have gotten the beta by alternative methods......(considering you sounded like you were gonna buy it not too long ago). I am wondering if you downloaded any of their patches as they added and changed things around (keep in mind it is a beta).

I hope you wrong about the clunky interface. Empire Earth gets a little annoying with its controls and that caused me to lose interest. But I have a hard time believing that Blizzard would beta test for sooo long without adjusting for obvious problems such as that (I haven't beta tested it but have read some about it).

I like what Frodo said...we should follow him to the promised land ;D

I'm selling sticks :)

Navaros, you are being very critical considering you haven't even seen the single-player part of the game yet NOR the finished version of multiplayer. I think you may have gotten the beta by alternative methods......(considering you sounded like you were gonna buy it not too long ago). I am wondering if you downloaded any of their patches as they added and changed things around (keep in mind it is a beta).

I hope you wrong about the clunky interface. Empire Earth gets a little annoying with its controls and that caused me to lose interest. But I have a hard time believing that Blizzard would beta test for sooo long without adjusting for obvious problems such as that (I haven't beta tested it but have read some about it).

I play the Beta online with the very latest 1.34 patch.

I hoped I was wrong about the clunky interface and everything else too. I am trying *reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly* hard to like WarCraft 3 but despite my best efforts it just ain't happening because of all the reasons I have already stated. The singleplayer portion of the game is even worse. I read somewhere on an Official Blizzard website there are only about 9 Missions in the whole singleplayer portion of the game! That is not 9 Missions per race, that is 9 Missions in TOTAL. Ie: 2 or 3 Mission for each race, then the campaign switches to the next race until you do all 9 (yeah count 'em 9 LOL) Missions. ::)

No it's 30 missions in total I believe.. And you can't select a race in singleplayer... it's more like TA Kingdoms. You start the first couple of missions with humans, than some missions with orcs, undead, night elves and humans again and etc... You play it as a story... it's no longer like westwood games or like war2. There are not 2 ore more different endings.... It is a story... more like in Starcraft and TA Kingdoms

What?? Navaros hates War3?

God please say it ain't true!!!!! :'( :'(

Guys, do you realize what this means? Nav won't be going over to War3! We're stuck with him for all eternity!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'(

it's for the story scythale and besides.... I liked all races in TA Kingdoms.... Taros was so evil, i like them and aramon has very kewl knights and stuff... War3 is going to be great too.....

And well you see, i have no problem that navaros stays here, sure he whines a lot and we all curse at him (me the most perhaps :-)) but I never thought that i would say this, but i might even miss his whining :-)

well IMO Blizzards games so far have been way better than WW, imo emperors storyline is the worst I've ever seen it's no originality in it whatso ever and the Harkonnens c'mon A fat baron with his two sons that just look like Rabban and Feyd Rautha jeez, ok I'm calm now ;)

Every game has to be measured because of its FUN FACTOR and not because of graphics or sound or videos.

But Im not sure how fun WArcraft III is, yet. I mean it has all the good things of Starcraft in it: The different races which dont just look different (like in Command N Conquer) but really ARE different with their units and strengths and weaknesses. But I dont know about the heroes. Its just boring to let them fight against the neutral units in EVERY game. Its always the same: You build your base and walk around with your heroes in order to advance to the next level. That gets pretty boring and its not really tactical, since you have to do this every time. Thats why I think Warcraft III is still not as good as Starcraft.