[Release] - New Dune 2000 tileset. Warcraft 2 snowdy + bonus mission

Cm_blast

This is a new tileset I did based on the snowdy tileset from Warcraft 2; It is included a single mission with 2 difficulty to play; the normal way, intented to everybody to be able to learn how to move on the tiles, which ones you can build, walk, etc... and a "Lunatic Mode", activated if the player does an specific task during the map: intented for people who really looks for a challenge.

Main tilesets:
White Snow: You units can move and you can build structures.
Dark Snow: You units can move.
Thick Ice: Only you infantry can move.
Thin Ice: Only you infantry can move (slower speed).
Water: Unreachable.
Chopped trees: The "spice" of this planet.

BLOXCRFT tileset:
Snow/Ice transition tiles.
unknown.png?width=400&height=246

White Snow/Dark snow transition.
unknown.png?width=400&height=245

Thick Ice / Water transition
unknown.png?width=400&height=246

Thin ice /Thick Ice transition
unknown.png?width=400&height=205 

Trees
unknown.png?width=400&height=125

Mountains.
unknown.png?width=400&height=171

Other speciales: all the details from the Snow, Ice, Water...
unknown.png?width=400&height=171

Structures from Warcraft 2.
unknown.png?width=400&height=212
The tile "spice here" will allow moders to place spice directly on the map withouth switching to a different tileset, painting sand, painting spice and returning to the original tileset.
That tile has a 1x1, 3x3 and 5x5 groups, so you can set big areas of this tile and later with the original spice double click on top of the group and the whole area it's going to be filled.

Thick and Thin Spice:
1153049798_spiceandthickspice.png.060352ee22423bf170e0ae3d35a070e7.png <-- the chopped trees from the original game here it's going to be the spice to collect.

Also, thanks to Klofkack, the colors from the minimap are altered to show the colors that are the tiles; this only affect modding and not ingame. Here a comparison from the default colors to the altered.
unknown.png

Tileset + Single Mission
Tileset Warcraft 2 AND Mission.rar

Single mission ready to play (tileset not included).
Warcraft 2 Map.rar

Dowload this one if you only idea is to play the mission and nothing more. It is already prepared to be played directly into the game once you unzip and move the files, it doesn't contain any extra nor unncesary files.

HOW TO INSTALL:
Unzip the file and copy every folder into the root of the game.
Any folders included will go to the path that it is suppose to go.
Do not copy any pgn (screenshots) nor the readme.txt (instructions).

Mission launcher 1.2 is required.

Updated .ini (Sep 2020)
BLOXCRFT.ini
This is a single mission I made to showcase the tileset. It is a very small map with only a technology of 2 (infantry and light vehicles); won't last for too long, but the enemies have a few of advance units to counter the player. It has a bonus spot, discovering this area will give the player a reward.

Doesn't have a plot, just general objetive: Destroy the Harkonnen structures.

The mission has an initial task of ca p turing the enemy Construction Yard so you can start placing more refineries and other buildings you may need.
The game present two difficulty: normal and lunatic: Lunatic Mode can be activated by destroying the enemy Construction yard instead capturing it (the player still gets a MCV to deploy a new one). This will make the enemy to build faster and add other units into the mission.

Note: this lunatic mode it's intented for very skilled players. I cannot beat the map myself, so there is a possibility that I made the map virtually impossible to beat, if that's the case I will reduce the AI advantages, but again, it is suppose to be a challenge.

Imagen: (this imagen don't cover the whole map, just a part of it)
Showcase.thumb.png.01e77ab58a08b488213a373b660eaa55.png
The colors on the imagen (taken from the editor) will change in-game due dune2k limitations with the colors.

FILE (Both Tileset and mission included):

File includes:
Tileset, the single mission and all needed to use the editor.
"Data.r16" will remove the crates that generate when shooting the floor; you need to overwrite the original, but this is not needed to have the full experience, it's only merely visual.
TILEATRC.BIN, BLOXCRFT.R16 are needed and won't overwrite anything.

Screens with the update:
Various structures with the name and the circle of Power mark.
unknown.png

Water Oil:
unknown.png

The spice: (if not using my custom text.uib, will appear as "Spice").

unknown.png

If a vanilla text.uib or another different custom text.uib it's used, it will appear this other way.

image.png.79c691b9e74c7e2e639ae7bfabc14449.png

It is possible to do your own custom text.uib and give to those structures any name you want or fit into your map.

WARCRAFT 2 MAP update ini.rar CustomCampaignData.rar

Edited by Cm_blast

I just tried this out, and I really like having some different environment than sand and rocks from Dune. The tiliset is pretty colourful and nice to look at, and there are different types of tiles to move/build upon (snow, ice). The map was a bit hard due to enemy having more powerful units and limited amount of "spice", but I enjoyed that. I could have played it better to beat it faster, and unfortunately I missed that secret area (I knew I could explore that, but did not bother).

From technical point of view, good work configuring new tileset and attributes. Making maps with this tileset would probably need some practice, but those presets can help a lot. However, I can see you did not utilize all tileset .ini file features. Most importantly custom minimap colors, and "SpiceRestrictionRule" setting, that controls which tiles you can place spice on. I can see you made that quirk using special "SPICE HERE" tile, which is definitely not necessary - you just change "SpiceRestrictionRule" and you can place spice on tile types you specify there. Even without that, in D2kEditor.ini you can change "RestrictSpiceToSand" setting to 0, and you can simply place spice on any tile.

But still good work, I'm looking forward to see more maps made with this tileset, and you could try improving the tileset .ini file (I can help you).

Edit: Here I quickly came up with some minimap color rules, you can try this out. Unfortunately there's no way to distinguish deep water, trees and mountains by attributes, that's exactly what Editor attributes like "Area type 1-4" were made for. If used properly, all could be displayed with different color on minimap.

[Minimap_Color_Rules]
;Snow
$A59494=$8000
;Pieces
$5A4A31=$40006000
;Dark snow
$9C8484=$6000
;Thin ice
$8C4A10=$80004000
;Thick ice
$8C5218=$4000
;Deep water
$733100=$8
;Water
$733900=$0

And spice restriction rule:

SpiceRestrictionRule=$2000E002

Edited by Klofkac

2 hours ago, Klofkac said:

I just tried this out, and I really like having some different environment than sand and rocks from Dune. The tiliset is pretty colourful and nice to look at, and there are different types of tiles to move/build upon (snow, ice). The map was a bit hard due to enemy having more powerful units and limited amount of "spice", but I enjoyed that. I could have played it better to beat it faster, and unfortunately I missed that secret area (I knew I could explore that, but did not bother).

Wow, That was quick.
Yeap, map a bit hard, but as a only tech 2 and already with a few buildings map would last 5-10 minutes at best; My first idea was to do only the map, and then a few triggers here and there, by the time I was aware, I was already thinking on a "lunatic mode" and fill the game with tons of script; I cannot do simple things anymore.

On the other hand, a bunch of siege tanks falls quickly against quads, so it's a bit of mixing the enemy army and giving a reason to the player to use quads over troopers (and the terrain split the enemy units).

Once I played a bit worse on purpose: like sending smaller waves or using troopers to try to kill some siege tanks instead waiting for something better, or doing weird exchanges; the map lasted 25 minutes at the end, my money was on 8000 credits more or less and there were still some tiles on the top area to harvest. 

From technical point of view, good work configuring new tileset and attributes. Making maps with this tileset would probably need some practice, but those presets can help a lot. However, I can see you did not utilize all tileset .ini file features. Most importantly custom minimap colors,

I have no idea how to do that, so the way the minimap looked was to me a "if it looks good, good, if not, whatever". So far I am only scracthing the surface on the rule from the .ini.

Most importantly custom minimap colors, and "SpiceRestrictionRule" setting, that controls which tiles you can place spice on. I can see you made that quirk using special "SPICE HERE" tile, which is definitely not necessary - you just change "SpiceRestrictionRule" and you can place spice on tile types you specify there. Even without that, in D2kEditor.ini you can change "RestrictSpiceToSand" setting to 0, and you can simply place spice on any tile.

Well, I can see "SpiceRestrictionRule=$10040;$10000".  You may be surprise that we barely know nothing about .ini; Fey needed to explain me like 4 times how to do the custom presets (a 2x2 tile formed by 4 tiles separated from each other).

And spice restriction rule:

SpiceRestrictionRule=$2000E002

Oh, thanks for this, it works.
Ooooh, so,  this thing it's what those numbers are, right?
1007893408_Sinttulo.png.8d0f8d313c5bc0a8f216694435cddecd.png

At least the restriction one; I still have no idea about the color ones.

Edit: Here I quickly came up with some minimap color rules, you can try this out. Unfortunately there's no way to distinguish deep water, trees and mountains by attributes, that's exactly what Editor attributes like "Area type 1-4" were made for. If used properly, all could be displayed with different color on minimap.

Much appreciated; It totally looks much better now with the snow, the water and all; now totally looks like the editor "knows" the correct colors.

Can I get some help on some other .ini from other tilesets?
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/28367-release-ini-files-for-editor-modding-purposes/

BLOXSNOW, BLOXTEM, BLOXTD and BLOXINT would heavily benefict for, at least, the spice restriction, which by now I can do my own, but then it's the color thing that I have no idea about.

Those tilesets are not mine, but I did the .ini; in this case I have no access (tecnically I have, but it's not my thing to interfere or edit other's people work) to change attributes, but those didn't have a .ini, I made them because It is 500% easier and faster to work with presets and all the stuff.

So, explain me a bit how the color thing works:

$A59494=$8000

And see if I can learn to do it myself.

Edited by Cm_blast

Edit: Here I quickly came up with some minimap color rules, you can try this out. Unfortunately there's no way to distinguish deep water, trees and mountains by attributes, that's exactly what Editor attributes like "Area type 1-4"

I didn't fully understand this part; the colors are based on the kind of attributes AND the area type? 
I mean:
Snow: buildable - you can use white color
darksnow: non-buildable - you can use grey color
ice: infantry only - you can use blue color
Water and trees: non-walkable - you can use red color
BUT
Water non-walkable AND area type 1 - you can use red color
Trees non-walkable AND area type 2 - you can use GREEN color.

I am right about this?

Also; What if I use attributes that will have no impact on the game?
For example, trees are non-walkable, but light vehicles goes 10% faster.
water it's non-walkable, but all units goes 20% slower.
In game you won't see a difference, you cannot go there anyway but... later I can use the editor to have 2 separated colors?

Because if so, just with "sandworm can pass", "wheled", "dunes" and "rough rock" I have plenty of combinations to have 16 different colors... and in game nobody will notice!

But still good work, I'm looking forward to see more maps made with this tileset, and you could try improving the tileset .ini file (I can help you).

Although I plan to do a couple of single missions on arrakis and 1 campaign mixing a bit the heigliner tilest to Fey (but still, based on arrakis) I have in mind doing a big campaign with tons of levels traveling the world, visiting all the tilesets ever done AND mixing with Tibed to give the enemy weird or overpowered weapons, just to make a "Arrakis tecnology" vs "unknown X planet tecnology".

In fact, while doing this map and all the script I was doing I was already thinking on maybe reusing this map for that campaign <-- but, it is too early, I may burn out of dune2k much before that xD, so, having an idea and doing it are two separated things (as you know really well)

Edited by Cm_blast

8 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I didn't fully understand this part; the colors are based on the kind of attributes AND the area type? 
I mean:
Snow: buildable - you can use white color
darksnow: non-buildable - you can use grey color
ice: infantry only - you can use blue color
Water and trees: non-walkable - you can use red color
BUT
Water non-walkable AND area type 1 - you can use red color
Trees non-walkable AND area type 2 - you can use GREEN color.

I am right about this?

Also; What if I use attributes that will have no impact on the game?
For example, trees are non-walkable, but light vehicles goes 10% faster.
water it's non-walkable, but all units goes 20% slower.
In game you won't see a difference, you cannot go there anyway but... later I can use the editor to have 2 separated colors?

Because if so, just with "sandworm can pass", "wheled", "dunes" and "rough rock" I have plenty of combinations to have 16 different colors... and in game nobody will notice!

You are perfectly right there, it seems you understood correctly.

Either deep water, trees or mountains have same attributes (no attributes, meaning you cannot walk or build on them at all), so you need to use some extra information to distinguish between them, and that is simply attributes that won't impact the game behavior. You have two options, either use editor attributes (area type 1, 2 etc), OR you may use some of the game attributes that have no impact on behavior ("sandworm can pass", "wheled", "dunes" and "rough rock") and combine them to have 16 possible colors.

These editor attributes were made because in some situations the game attributes could not be used (they would impact the game), that was mostly needed for fill area rules, so you could simply erase whole rock area without impacting adjacent sand, dunes etc.

Later I will try to better explain how those minimap color rules work.

3 hours ago, Klofkac said:

You are perfectly right there, it seems you understood correctly.

Either deep water, trees or mountains have same attributes (no attributes, meaning you cannot walk or build on them at all), so you need to use some extra information to distinguish between them, and that is simply attributes that won't impact the game behavior. You have two options, either use editor attributes (area type 1, 2 etc), OR you may use some of the game attributes that have no impact on behavior ("sandworm can pass", "wheled", "dunes" and "rough rock") and combine them to have 16 possible colors.

These editor attributes were made because in some situations the game attributes could not be used (they would impact the game), that was mostly needed for fill area rules, so you could simply erase whole rock area without impacting adjacent sand, dunes etc.

Alright, that's interesting. The second option of combining attributes with no impact it's the best, like you say, the area type impact the game, even on unwalkable areas like revealing your St.Fremen and I was told the pointer in-game change as the one when you have it on top of a unit, like if the game recognize a "unit" there.

4 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Later I will try to better explain how those minimap color rules work.

Thanks. people will benefic of this info, Fey pass me a web with some hex values on colors that I think it has something to do, but not sure about all the inners so I will wait until you explain me.

First post updated: Added structures, recolors for the minimap (only while creating a map using the tileset; the game itself won't change).

Some screens added and the mission itself changed a bit, not just adding some of the new "neutral" structures that simply add detail but I give an extra reinforcement early for normal, I turned the Ai to be slighy harder on lunatic, not just building faster, but also he will use a new toy to play with.

On 1/16/2020 at 1:39 AM, KippD2K said:

Lunatic Mode on Hard Difficulty complete! Nice map, CM.

Hey, thanks for playing, and for creating an account just to play this map =D.

Update done. First post updated:
To be short: Now the neutral structures will show a name when you place your cursor over it, but only if you are using my custom text.uib (otherwise an empty square will appear).

It is possible to build on the concretes (when placed directly on the map); they are owned by the sandworm side, so no player or AI can use them to expand from the other side of the map unless 1 enemy AI it's using the sandworm side (but since that's usually reserved for the animal itself, most the time it's not used).
This means you can place a windtrap on top of these concrete tiles and will be 100% health.

Other changes related to work with the lastests version of the editor, only for modders.

The mission itself it's mostly the same; I moved the oil stain into another position more easy to see (purely cosmetic), and the Dark Portal now has a few transitable tiles that didn't have before.

Thanks to Klofkack because he did 95% of the work with this.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jbil1989 said:

Hello Cm, I hope you are good. This is very different. I saw now. I didn't play any Warcraft 2 . It seems very awesome.
Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Best Regards

Feel free to play it anytime you want: it is a short mission, won't take more than 15-20 minutes, at most. Low tech kind of map.
The only tedious part it's coping all the files.
You don't need to use the "data" one, since that only remove the crates that are generated on the floor when the units shoot. it's purely cosmetic; the other files shouldn't alter your game.

Ingame graphics are a bit different from the imagens show here, but is still looks nice, and you get to harvest chopped trees =D.