Dominus Galaxia (Master of Orion like game)

Blake00

I spent endless hours playing Master of Orion 1 in the 90s so this sounds good! Pretty much a love letter to MOO1.. infinite techs.. dynamic AI.. wormhole/starlane game or not.. super customizable UI & gameplay. What's even crazier is that he's released the latest build (not just a demo) of the game for free on his kickstarter. Do you like free stuff? I like free stuff! :P

https://explorminate.co/dominus-galaxias-kickstarter-has-launched/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jwG4D-fCsg

Edited by Blake00
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well it got funded in the end so I was glad to be wrong lol!

Speaking of which I've found yet another love letter to Master of Orion except this one is more MOO2 like! Has anyone here tried Interstellar Space Genesis? If so was it good? Was it stable? Apparently the indie team behind it consists of only 2 people haha! It looks pretty awesome so am thinking about trying it out now that it's finally on sale (it's normally pretty pricey lol).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984680/Interstellar_Space_Genesis/

ss_d3f9ca5c161553be8a3dc4bb8c536ce90a8ea

ss_809a0b0975a449bd769b849d30cd4be426e66

• Like 1

Well.. time was running out on the steam sale and the general response I'm getting in most places I asked was either silence or 'never heard of it so I don't know if it's good' haha.. However I watched this dudes let's play series below and that sold it for me.. so I’ve hit the button lol!

As expected it’s graphics aren’t exactly revolutionary lol but damn is it addictive and fun to play. Last few days I've barely eaten, slept, worked.. it’s all gone to hell haha!! There's room for improvement though so I've been posting lots of feedback on the steam forum as the devs actually read your comments and respond which is a rarity these days haha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdpJ2HQi_lY

Edited by Blake00

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I don't check back here very often lately but glad you're continuing your updates of similar games. There are many seemingly good, innovative indie games based on classics these days apparently, but finding out about them is increasingly hard with so many titles (and frankly I've no idea how one can find something at the Steam Store unless you know what you're looking for).

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 1:50 AM, MrFlibble said:

Hi! I don't check back here very often lately but glad you're continuing your updates of similar games. There are many seemingly good, innovative indie games based on classics these days apparently, but finding out about them is increasingly hard with so many titles (and frankly I've no idea how one can find something at the Steam Store unless you know what you're looking for).

Hey MrFlibbe! Been a while, in fact I think it was a Doom forum the last time we ran into each other lol!

No worries mate, I'm always on the hunt for similar games to MOO. Someone recently joined the Master of Magic discord channel I run who said he's working on a project to reserve engineer all classic Simtex games which of course includes MOO. Will be interesting to see how that goes... just pulling apart one of their games is half impossible so I'm not sure how he's going to go doing it with all of them lol! But I'll post updates here if he gets anywhere...

EDIT: Oh unless you mean my similar games to Dune thread.. if so yup I'm still collecting games for that too haha. Just made a new post in there in fact. My tribute site is well overdue for an update.

Edited by Blake00

• 1 month later...
If people are interested in more info I've finally just written a belated steam review with a big list of the game's pros and cons (IMO).

Also just released some videos covering my thoughts too:
Part 1

Part 2
Edited by Blake00

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ooooh just heard about another MOO like project called Alliance of the Sacred Suns (that seems to have been doing public betas for years under the name Imperia5x) when I saw it's kickstarter campaign. Looks like an interesting attempt at being different from regular Master of Orion like 4x space strategy games by focusing more on you the emperor.. feels kinda of like a 'Dune - Padishah Emperor simulator' managing those pesky greedy disobedient houses haha! Planetary management looks interesting, those separated regional environments and developments remind me of MOO3. A simple thing but I also love how the planets moons just swing past the camera while you're managing the world. Haven't seen any space battle footage so I dunno how that's managed. It's kickstarter period is over half way through but it's not even at half funded which is a bit worrying. It's been worked on for many years and seems so far along so hopefully the project would survive a KS failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7_Tt9YAZ7E

posted image

posted image

Edited by Blake00