What you did not know or where you got stuck in Dune2000 during your early game play?

Klofkac

I got Dune2000 when I was about 10 years old. The game was in english, and in that age, I barely understood some very basic english. I started playing the game along with my father, and I had no idea what the game was about - it was the very first strategy game I ever had so the gameplay and everything was completely new to me. Without any manual and with some help from father, who understood english a little bit, we were figuring out ourselves how to play the game and how some game mechanics work.

There were many things in the very early times, which I simply did not know and was not even able to figure out myself, and furthermore, there were places (in all three campaigns) which I simply could not get past, because I just did not know what to do there. After some time period, my father finally found and downloaded a czech translation for the game. That was the greatest milestone in Dune2000 playing for me, because I could finally read and understand what different buildings and units do, and finally managed to get through places I was stuck in.

In this topic, I'd like to share my earliest experiences with the game (which was the best time) and steps how I learned how to play it.

- I thought concrete was pointless. Well, I actually understood when reading through the briefings, that buildings needed to be placed on concrete otherwise they would be damaged from the unstable environment. And during the very first play time I was even using it. However, soon I believed that building concrete was pointless so I built all the buildings directly on rock, because I saw the buildings were still working and did not collapse. Paradoxically, sometimes (remember doing that in O4V1) I covered all my base (rock area) with concrete, except the places where were placed buildings, so it was exactly the opposite what I should do. Later, I noticed myself, that I needed to repair my buildings even if they were not hit by enemy. Also noticed that the construction yard, which was placed on concrete, did not need that. And eventually noticed that whenever I placed a building, it had only half the health. Then finally my brain realized that using concrete is really wise thing.

- I did not know I could upgrade buildings. In mission 3, troopers and quads appeared, but I was never able to produce them myself. The enemy was sending troopers and quads in mission 3 and 4 against me, while I was attacking them only with light infantry, raiders and combat tanks. I was thinking that the enemy thought I was stupid, hehe. I remember my dad even once told me to click Upgrade button, so I tried that, but then I saw barracks and light factory icon, so I just said "I do not need another barracks and factory" and did not care about that. Oh, how dumb I was. Then, finally later, I tried to upgrade a building, and I was mindblown as I could finally build those mysterious troopers and quads. And in mission 4, I could suddenly even build a repair pad, MCV and engineers. I had absolutely no idea what they were about because I did not saw them before (the enemy was not using them).

- Figuring out purpose of a MCV and engineers was another short, but funny story. In briefing, we could understand that MCV can somehow turn into a construction yard. But I could not figure out how to use it. I somehow assumed that a construction yard is 3x3, so well, "I need 9 of them to make a construction yard". So I produced 9 MCVs and sent them out on another free rock area in the map, but it did not work. Finally, I randomly picked just one MCV which was on a clean area and cliecked on it, then construction yard appeared out of nowhere, I was mindblown and I still remember that feeling of satisfaction.

- I did not know I need wind traps and have enough power. From the very beginning, I never built more than just one wind trap in a mission. I assumed it was a pointless building which was just needed to allow me build more types of buildings. I did not care about the power indicator or did not even notice units and buildings were produced slower. I also thought that a radar outpost was a pointless building, because it did not do anything. So I simply did not build it. Then later, after I finally figured out what was the purpose of MCV, and because I got stuck in H4V1 as I did not know how to win it (destroying sietch), just for fun because of being bored, I built a construction yard on ruins of destroyed Atreides base, and started rebuilding their base with my own buildings. I tried to mimic exact position of all their buildings, so I built all the wind traps and a radar outpost and... believe or not... the radar minimap suddenly appeared! I was mind blown again. Funny fact was, that I had lot of buildings in my own base, but the amount of wind traps in enemy base produced enough power to power both bases. And I was always wondering why enemy was so dumb and built so many wind traps.

Edited by Klofkac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

I got Dune2000 when I was about 10 years old. The game was in english, and in that age, I barely understood some very basic english

As much as much people trash talk at translations or dubs; I am glad that here, in spain, they took the time and efford to actually release the game in spanish. They even tried to keep the similar type of voice for the mentats, and (in my opinion), enhanced it the best they could (Hark mission 8 intro, were the voice said "Soon Ordos will be extinct"; on the spanish it is say with like a kind of joy, you know, they Joy a Harkonnen may feel for annihilate his enemies).

But; I totally understood you; change Dune 2000 for Civilization 1 (much more complex) and that's it, you have no idea what are you doing; but you end learning how the "bronce working" gives you the "Phalanx", the "wheel" gives you the "Chariot" and the "gunpower" gives you the "musketeer"; If I ever played Civ 1 in spanish I would feel a bit lost XD (but I'll probably would read much more the civilopedia menu).

Without any manual and with some help from father, who understood english a little bit, we were figuring out ourselves how to play the game and how some game mechanics work.

Same with Dune 2; but again, spanish release, even if the game hasn't voice effects whatsoever, just some texts in mid-game to warm about sandworms, harversterse release or enemies approaching. Although we had the "manual" (fotocopy from, who knows who had the game originally); but in this case because the anti-piracy system; a question on missions 2 and 8. I eventually learn what armor have the vehicles or that the MCV had 15 units driving it; but when the game asked how far, in KM, the DH can reach... well... time to search the manual.

- I thought concrete was pointless. Well, I actually understood when reading through the briefings, that buildings needed to be placed on concrete otherwise they would be damaged from the unstable environment. And during the very first play time I was even using it. However, soon I believed that building concrete was pointless so I built all the buildings directly on rock, because I saw the buildings were still working and did not collapse. Paradoxically, sometimes (remember doing that in O4V1) I covered all my base (rock area) with concrete, except the places where were placed buildings, so it was exactly the opposite what I should do. Later, I noticed myself, that I needed to repair my buildings even if they were not hit by enemy. Also noticed that the construction yard, which was placed on concrete, did not need that. And eventually noticed that whenever I placed a building, it had only half the health. Then finally my brain realized that using concrete is really wise thing.

Although not Dune 2000, but on Tiberian sun, the first time I used the concrete for... you know, place buildings on top of it XD; took me a while to understand it's just to block those digging vehicels and force them to deploy elsewhere.
But now that you mention; I would like to have the Dune 2 behaviour for Dune 2000; not the decaying HP (which happens in Dune 2 whatever you do, concrete or not, but I think it's a bug, and buildings on concrete weren't suppose to have any decay), but, in dune 2, buildings loose efficiency the more it's damage.

A 50% factory produce units slower (I don't know values, but saying that a tank takes twice as much it's not too insane); heh, a red-HP CY takes forever to produce concretes...
Outpost doesn't give 100% accuracy information (number of enemy and allies on the radar), repair pad repairs slower, and even the refinery transfer the spice into credits slower. 

- I did not know I could upgrade buildings. In mission 3, troopers and quads appeared, but I was never able to produce them myself. The enemy was sending troopers and quads in mission 3 and 4 against me, while I was attacking them only with light infantry, raiders and combat tanks. I was thinking that the enemy thought I was stupid, hehe. I remember my dad even once told me to click Upgrade button, so I tried that, but then I saw barracks and light factory icon, so I just said "I do not need another barracks and factory" and did not care about that. Oh, how dumb I was. Then, finally later, I tried to upgrade a building, and I was mindblown as I could finally build those mysterious troopers and quads. And in mission 4, I could suddenly even build a repair pad, MCV and engineers. I had absolutely no idea what they were about because I did not saw them before (the enemy was not using them).

Again, not dune 2000, but on the KKND game I didn't know you could do upgrades on buildings; same as you "wow, the enemy it's using much more variety than me".

- Figuring out purpose of a MCV and engineers was another short, but funny story. In briefing, we could understand that MCV can somehow turn into a construction yard. But I could not figure out how to use it. I somehow assumed that a construction yard is 3x3, so well, "I need 9 of them to make a construction yard". So I produced 9 MCVs and sent them out on another free rock area in the map, but it did not work. Finally, I randomly picked just one MCV which was on a clean area and cliecked on it, then construction yard appeared out of nowhere, I was mindblown and I still remember that feeling of satisfaction.

That's funny man, a very expensive vehicle but you actually produced 9 xD. Luckily in Dune 2, with the manual commands per unit the MCV had a "deploy" command.

- I did not know I need wind traps and have enough power. From the very beginning, I never built more than just one wind trap in a mission. I assumed it was a pointless building which was just needed to allow me build more types of buildings. I did not care about the power indicator or did not even notice units and buildings were produced slower. I also thought that a radar outpost was a pointless building, because it did not do anything. So I simply did not build it. Then later, after I finally figured out what was the purpose of MCV, and because I got stuck in H4V1 as I did not know how to win it (destroying sietch), just for fun because of being bored, I built a construction yard on ruins of destroyed Atreides base, and started rebuilding their base with my own buildings. I tried to mimic exact position of all their buildings, so I built all the wind traps and a radar outpost and... believe or not... the radar minimap suddenly appeared! I was mind blown again. Funny fact was, that I had lot of buildings in my own base, but the amount of wind traps in enemy base produced enough power to power both bases. And I was always wondering why enemy was so dumb and built so many wind traps.

Play Dune 2 then; enemy AI barely have windtraps to sustain their bases (at least in mission 9), but that's more about the item limit of the game itself. That's something I would like to have today, a limitless dune 2 version with Ai's having the correct amount of windtraps required (and the IX, feels so wrong not seeing enemy special tanks used against the player, except for the early enemy reinforcements).

Oh; and recovering from the previous quote; I cannot imagine the amount of time you took to actually build 9 MCV with low power... 20 min at least of gameplay there XD.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 1

Well, I played Dune 2 and Red Alert.

I didn't get stuck in the early missions.
Except Harkonnen 5, for 20 minutes. I discovered that the Radar was a different building. And voila, Missile tanks, 20 minutes later than planned.
Harkonnen 7, I expected Ornithopters. The manual said that I could use Missile tanks besides of Missile Turrets. I was surprised at that. So I planned to have both asap. Focusing on the building first. I did not know how much defences I needed. So I had to play that mission 3 times before figuring out the most optimal defence and anti air rush.
Can't recall, but one of the missions expects you to destroy fremen sietches. I did scouted one, but didn't see it. Because I didn't recognise it. Lol. I expected buildings to be honest. At that time, I never played Dune.

In all campaigns, I mostly used Combat Tanks. And I abused the imbalances that every Westwood/EA game had to offer.
But also discovered the new imbalances pretty soon. :)

Well, time to continue my experience and early story with Dune 2000, now about the missions where I got stuck.

- During my earliest stage (basically before I got czech translation and discovered things I mentioned in my first post) I got stuck in Atriedes mission 5, Ordos mission 4 and Harkonnen mission 4.

- I had absolutely no idea what to do in Atr mission 5. I was previously used to start up with a construction yard, however, in this mission I could not build any buildings, had only barracks and light factory and what was worse, there was a time limit! That was absolutely unseen before! At first I obviously thought the time limit was for winnig the mission, so I just built some light infantry and trikes as fast as I could, and sent them against enemy base. Of course I had no chance at all, and ended up thinking the mission was unbeatable. I expected the mission to fail after reaching the time limit, but only some message appeared, which I did not know what was meaning. Later, after discovering engineers and having czech translation, I finally figured out what to do, captured the starport and got a MCV, finally realizing how to beat the mission... or still not. I remember failing the mission after destroying Harkonnen barracks for the first time. Eh.

- In Ordos mission 4, I beat the Harkonnen and was destroying all Hark and Smugglers base... until I destroyed the outpost. Mission fail. Eh, what? What the hell was I supposed to do? No idea about existence of engineers, not understanding instructions written in english, too bad. The story here was pretty similar like the previous one - after learning about engineers, I finally got past this mission.

- I already wrote my experience about Harkonnen mission 4. I destroyed all Atreides base, and... no mission win. What? I had no idea what else to do and simply got stuck in this mission. Once I got an idea: "Hey, I did not build a radar outpost (I thought it was pointless, you know), so what if I build one and win the mission"? Eh, nope. No mission win after building that pointless outpost. Neither building 9 MCVs and discovering I needed only one for a construction yard, nor learning about the power of wind traps and the whole point of outpost helped me. But then finally, because of being bored, I played some Atreides campaign again, and I sucked in mission 4. I was so slow that Harkonnen killed all the Fremen (I think I was even watching them on purpose doing their job) and then suddenly they were attacking some cave which I had no idea what was, and after destroying that "cave", I suddenly failed the mission. And then my brain worked hard, realizing "what if I find those 'caves' in Harkonnen mission 4 and destroy them"? Not very surprised, I really found them (there were two in this mission), and then finally, in the world, I won that mission! How satisfactory that was.

- Harkonnen mission 5 was quite funny and nice to play mission. In mission 6 it was the very first time when I started without a construction yard, but with a MCV instead. It was very strange to see I could build a concrete and wind trap before the construction yard was even standing after deploying the MCV, it looked really ridiculous. It was the very first time I built a starport, but I did not know how to use it. I remember it was my dad who explained me how starport works. Mission 7 was the second place in Hark campaign where I got stuck. The reason was simply because the mission was way too hard. I started building my base, but the enemy was just too much strong and killed me. And the enemy infantry and Sardaukar were approaching me from the other side, climbing the cliff. I screwed Hark campaign and went playing the other houses. Even not seeing how those "devastators" looked like which I was really interested in.

- In Ordos, the mission 5 was pretty tough one. I captured the starport and started building some base, but too many Atreides infantry were coming they were killing me. But after some effort, I eventually beat the mission. The mission 6 was place where I got stuck again for the Ordos campaign. Same reason - it was too hard for me. Both Atr and Hark forces were coming to me from many sides and I could not stand their attacks before the time limit was reached.

- Regarding Atreides campaign, it was actually my dad who beat it. I remember being away from home for many days on my summer vacation, then I returned home and saw my dad playing Atreides mission 8. I was completely mindblown. 3x3 concrete. Sonic tank - what's that? And... exploding buildings!!! Huh, what the hell happens? Why the construction yard just explodes and we are pretty fucked up? Obviously, those were Ordos saboteurs, but we were freaked out of them. That mission was tough as hell, we were trying different strategies, but still ended up being PWNed by Ordos and Harkonnen attacks. We somehow discovered the strategy to move to the top-left corner, destroy smugglers base, and start building our base on that tiny piece of rock. We just felt this place being more safe because of being more faraway or hidden, but that was rather a feeling. Or probably not. Then we destroyed and took over the small Ordos base which was near, spreading more buildings here. And from this place we beat the enemy. I also remember in this mission I saw the Devastators for the first time - my dad captured Harkonnen heavy factory and produced devastators in it. I remember when I first got to control those devastators, I clicked on one, and it exploded and destroyed also the heavy factory. I thought it was the devastator's way of attack for some time. Oh sweet childhood. Beating Mission 9 was challenging too, but I remember it was probably not as much hard as Mission 8.

- During the time, I discovered the "Mission Select" screen. It was actually added by the czech translation - on the title screen bottom-right corner, where is normally written game version, there was a button with label "CZ version by Raptor" or something like that. For long time I did not click that, but once I tried it. It took me into a strange screen where I could click at any mission and start it. I simply could not resist, and looked at the later Ordos and Harkonnen missions, which I could not reach by normal gameplay. And I saw how the missions looked like. I was surprised I had actually an ally on Ordos missions! That was once of the best discoveries in Dune 2000. However, nowadays I regret I even discovered that mission select screen, because that broke my experience discovering those missions by regular gameplay. I feel that was a cheating, which in overall broke my gaming experience in many other games.

3 hours ago, Klofkac said:

I remember failing the mission after destroying Harkonnen barracks for the first time. Eh.

You know, once using emule I downloaded the game in german. "bah, it's fine, I don't need to be on spanish" I said "I played the game plenty of times, the main goal it's always the same" I said... and then I lost 20-25 min of progress because I destroy that barracks.

Not very surprised, I really found them (there were two in this mission), and then finally, in the world, I won that mission! How satisfactory that was.

I wish I could remember my first time playing those mission; I think I played the Atreides first because I always like the design of the Sonic tank on Dune 2 and found interesting the Fremen as an ally (even although the Harkonnen are much stronger not just the palace, but with the troopers in general compared to the infantry).

But I think I loose that mission (protecting the fremen) a few times because I didn't reach them in time; took me a while to know you can rush the enemy and win withouth building a base (although today I don't do it; I send half my units around the sietch but I just build like usually just to drag a bit more the map.

I remember it was my dad who explained me how starport works.

Again, I cannot remember my first time; But I feel I would look at the starport dissapointed; On dune 2 sometimes a quad, that cost 200 credits, would be available for less than 100 (a 50% discount); But you could order 10 in the same delivery, more of other units if you had available even more money (buying tanks for 180 credits when they usually cost 300 it's also a good deal).

Why the construction yard just explodes and we are pretty fucked up? Obviously, those were Ordos saboteurs, but we were freaked out of them.

I was freaked when, in dune 2, the game pop-up a message "Misil approaching" and looking at a missile appearing from nowhere taking out 3 buildings while you cannot do anything to stop it. To be worse, Imperials use a Harkonnen Palace in Dune 2 too so... that's 2 DH making you saving the game every 5 minutes, just in case.

Beating Mission 9 was challenging too, but I remember it was probably not as much hard as Mission 8.

I can tell at least that the mission 9 for the Atreides, at least the first version (the one with a CY and a few windtraps separated from your light factory and barracks); I remember that I though you were suppose to lost that of the map, so my strategy was rushing the heavy factory and the repair pad, getting an VCM and moving it to the bottom area, after that I simply abandon the top part to group all together and the bottom and loose; Even my brother did something similar but selling the buildings instead.

I played other RTS where you are suppose to loose a part of your base and you cannot do anything to stop it, so I though the same here. Of course today I will refuse to let the AI to do that, even if that means making the map harder than it needs.

Edited by Cm_blast

Let's finalize my way through Dune 2000 with a few last things.

- I did not know only Ordos could not produce missile tanks. For quite some time, Ordos was my most favourite house. When playing practice, I very often or almost always chose Ordos. There were several reasons why, most importantly because Ordos had Raider instead of Trike which was my most favourite unit in Dune 2000 (I even built one from lego), I liked visual appearance of their buildings the most, I liked they were coloured green in campaign and had mercenaries as ally, and for some reason I thought deviators and saboteurs were really cool units (but in future I discovered they were rather inferior to other houses specials). I knew I could not build missile tanks in heavy factory, but I did not understand it was because Ordos were not able to produce them. When I later played Atreides campaign again, I built a IX research centre and suddenly I could build missile tanks, but I was thinking it was because I had something like more power to be able to build them or that they were buildable only in campaign and not in practice. Took me some time realizing how it really was.

- I did not know about v1.06 patch and new multiplayer units during all my childhood. That was my very latest discovery about Dune 2000 when I was already on high school or even university (something around 2010). When I downloaded and started using map editors (Domination first, then Shai Hulud), I was really wondering what BLOXXMAS tileset was. I could not find this tileset in the original game, neither I was able to play maps which I attempted to create with this tileset - I was really very excited about the bridges and strongly desired to make maps using them. Then some time later, we had more computers at home and I wanted to play network multiplayer with my brother. We tried to play the game, but very often it was crashing due to desync. Then out of nowhere, my brother came up with a 1.06 patch for the game, which was supposed to have improved network game code and not to suffer from desync problem. So we were finally able to play the game, but apart from that, there were three new multiplayer units I've never seen. Unfortunately, I was not really so much excited about that because I was rather adult that time and was not so much keen on gaming like a kid anymore. But that somehow revived my interest in Dune 2000, and not long after that, I started being interested in Dune 2000 modding and custom campaign map creations and visiting Fed2K forum, which resulted in making first version of my Campaign Map Editor, and then developing it further and ending up with version 1.3 which we have today. And that's all my story around Dune 2000.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:46 PM, Cm_blast said:

Thank you dude for sharing your experience as well! Nice to read through this discussion.

But; I totally understood you; change Dune 2000 for Civilization 1 (much more complex) and that's it, you have no idea what are you doing

Heh, for me, the second game where I was in exactly same situation (game only in english, no idea how to play the game and what to do there) was Caesar3. That was another strategy game, but you build a roman city there. My dad assumed I liked strategy games (because of Dune2000) so he brought me this one as well. I somehow passed through some first tutorial missions by "build whatever available buildings" method, but then got totally lost. Everything was burning, everything was collapsing, I soon got into dept as I had no idea how to earn money etc. But then again, after installing czech translation, I learned how to play the game and understood the mechanic, and eventually I became really very good at that game.

but in this case because the anti-piracy system; a question on missions 2 and 8

I had a version of the game where I could simply skip this question by pressing enter without writing anything.

a very expensive vehicle but you actually produced 9 xD

I cannot imagine the amount of time you took to actually build 9 MCV with low power... 20 min at least of gameplay there XD.

Heh, that was absolutely nothing for me. You know, as a kid, I had almost unlimited time for playing computer games, so 20 minutes waiting? Nothing! I spent hours doing much more pointless things as I described in the other thread!

(but in future I discovered they were rather inferior to other houses specials).

I think I prefer saboteurs to Fremen; on dune 2 where cool looking (well, just like any other trooper, but since they could spammend anywhere that was a suprise factor), but in dune 2000 they are not too strong against buildings as trooper; I still use them on mission 8, I think that there is a only infantry entrance; I remember taking the enemy CY by grouping 10-15 Fremen, finding the CY and taking it before trying to break the main front, so the AI don't rebuild the turrets.

In dune 2 the sabo it's sooo fragile... fast true, but too fragile (and no cloak-invisibility); In the dune 2 campaign I made for dune 2000 the saboteur it's really strong, because you can literally take out any building you want (since no rifts, the sabo can roam free whatever he want).
Also Saboteur and Fremen have the same building speed, but you need 10 Fremen to take a building (before the Ai react) but only 1 saboteur to do the job; on dune 2000 I usually send 3-4 to the enemy turrets and then going with a frontal attack.

I knew I could not build missile tanks in heavy factory, but I did not understand it was because Ordos were not able to produce them

In dune 2 the deviator had the same visual in terrain as the missile launcher, only when selecting were different; the interesting part in Dune 2 it's that the Ordos are like 1 tech behind; on mission 6 (I think) you can build the siege tank with Atreides or Harkonnen, but not with the Ordos, for some reason they can't; So, to me, in dune 2000 wasn't surprise for the lack of missile tank... which it's a shame, i really love the visual of that vehicle over the other two tanks. Purple tanks are so good looking.

- I did not know about v1.06 patch and new multiplayer units during all my childhood.

I cannot tell for sure, but I think back in the day my version was the v1.02 too; dunno, the copy we made didn't allow us to play practice so I can't tell; but I remember much later, after messing with the config, overwritting with a crack and dunno what's more (I feel so good when I "hacked" the game, I mean, applying only the crack wasn't enough, plus I even copied the music from the game, until that point the game was only sound effects, no music); so, the time I played, I remember telling to my brother "hey, play this practice map" and I made the AI being playing hard (to make it harder, since my brother player a ton the game) but the AI was really dumb, he send a much bigger group of units my brother had, but the Ai for some reason choose 1 building and simply forget the other units that were on the path, so they keep diending and not trying to react; I feel so dissapointed (I wanted him to loose!").

I started being interested in Dune 2000 modding and custom campaign map creations and visiting Fed2K forum, which resulted in making first version of my Campaign Map Editor, and then developing it further and ending up with version 1.3 which we have today. And that's all my story around Dune 2000.

In my opinion editors increase the lenght or whatever game.

Streets of Rage Remake it's a game that I discovered (a bit late, was already shut down by sega, although I still could get it, you simply don't stop internet) and... that's like, 10 years ago? and I still play it, just because the 100 custom games created;

And dune 2000 it's the same; I keep rotating from my own campaigns and still playing the very old ones, even if they are simple in terms of terrain design and scripting, but it's something I still enjoy to play.

Heh, for me, the second game where I was in exactly same situation (game only in english, no idea how to play the game and what to do there) was Caesar3.

I think I played this one... or another prequel; today I look at videos and have no idea what the game it's about. I don't ever know if I played correctly back in time; It's like The Heroes of might and magic 2; I remember launching my hero to an neutral enemy, die, recruiting another hero, launching it against another neutral enemy and so on until no money left and still never win XD.

I had a version of the game where I could simply skip this question by pressing enter without writing anything.

Well, back in time you have your brother copying the game from a friend which copied from another friend... on a disquete (or 3, I think used to take dune 2); so... we have the manual (photocopied) with us; all except the first pages were talks about the mentats, the planets and that's part, there is only 1 part of the Harkonnen one because the info about some units were next (and saving money to not do unnecesary copy).

I still have a folder... a LITERAL FOLDER full with passwords and anty-copy answerd; like the Budokan one, which we made by drawing the weird characters and then trying, whatever let us in, that's the correct, if not, a cross, and loading the game again and again and again until you had covered 90% at least, so you won't fail that much.

Sometimes my brother had the anty-stuff hand-written, but that was those darkness times (still happy times though).

Heh, that was absolutely nothing for me. You know, as a kid, I had almost unlimited time for playing computer games, so 20 minutes waiting? Nothing! I spent hours doing much more pointless things as I described in the other thread!

I know, on Dune 2 once took me 8 hours to finish the last map. No spice to harvest and only 1 palace to use the saboteur, and praying the enemy turret didn't full-land (so the unit explode); when I saw "finish time: 8 hours" I was "whaaat?".
Today I will restart the game, that's for sure XD.

Or in Red alert 2; today I will beat both campaigns in normal and, unless still recent, maybe the yuri's expansion... but back in time (no expansion at all) I remember beating the game on normal, then on hard, then on easy and then on normal, all withouth desistalling the game, or passing months or anything.

I remember looking for differences on some levels on different difficulties, and in red alert 2 on easy you start with more units and on hard the enemy produce more or at least other units as well; like mission 2 ally I think, the one with Tania and capturing a base with the 4 planes that go in auto-mode near the enemy soviet base.

On normal they only build infantry, on hard they also build tanks, and on easy they don't do anything at all (or if he does, do it really slowly).

On tiberian sun, at least, enemies shoot faster on hard; but took me lots of time to finish this other game due the train mission; I hate that map.

Edited by Cm_blast