Troopers, Sardaukar and Fremen

UnicornGraveyard

I've always wondered; do these three units all have the same stats in-game, or are there differences?

The manual has different movement speeds for all three, and back when the Sardaukar had a Mentat entry, their firepower was listed as 'heavy', not 'medium' like Troopers and Fremen. But the few places I could turn up online that list detailed unit stats only have an entry for Troopers, so those descriptions might only have been flavor text.

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/130704/list-of-unit-statistics

http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/DOS/Dune2.html

In the PC version of Dune II, both Sardaukar and Fremen Troopers are the same Trooper units as the regular heavy infantry that can be trained by Harkonnens and the Ordos. They don't seem to have any different stats. The scenario scripts that accounts for Sardaukar reinforcement drops in missions four and nine use the same Trooper entry as the regular Troopers. However the game data contains sidebar portraits for a single Sardaukar trooper, a single Fremen trooper and a group of Fremen, of which only the latter is used as the Atreides Palace weapon icon. It is plausible that these were intended for unique trooper-like units that were intended in the game but scrapped for whatever reason.

However in the Sega Genesis version, at least Fremen Troopers use their unique icons when spawned. I'm not sure if they also have better stats compared to regular Troopers. IIRC it is also possible to actually designate the target for these Fremen reinforcements as opposed to them spawning and attacking the AI base at random as in the PC version. I believe that the Sega Genesis version which came out later might reflect the original design for the Fremen which was not realised in the PC version. I don't remember if the Sardaukar have their unique icon or not in the Genesis version, or if they are indeed stronger than normal Troopers.

Can't say anything about the Amiga version, as I didn't test it thoroughly. I believe that generally it is very close to the PC version 1.07.

3 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

However in the Sega Genesis version, at least Fremen Troopers use their unique icons when spawned. I'm not sure if they also have better stats compared to regular Troopers.

I can confirm the Fremen have better stats, at least they have much more health than the regular units. They can take a few Rocket Turrets shots before seeing his HP draining.

There are moders that created their own campaigns with those factions and giving new/different units, they will know better the inners of the units in the game.

Yeah, after posting the question, I found a site that specified that Fremen have double the hp of regular troopers.

Sardaukar apparently having the same stats would explain why the separate entry for them in the Mentat unit overview was removed by the 1.07 patch - so as not to confuse players.

23 hours ago, UnicornGraveyard said:

Yeah, after posting the question, I found a site that specified that Fremen have double the hp of regular troopers.

In the megadrive yes, in the PC versión I don't think so. The best way to really test any difference could be using an editor (I used to have Dune Legacy to do the fast editing, saving the .ini file created and then playing the map in the original game) and place both units in horizontal 4-5 tiles away to shoot each other.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 1 month later...

Even if in this manual is indicated Fremen units have double HP respect other Troopers:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/manuals/Dune II/Dune II - Insider's Guide.pdf

190924809_dune2unitshp.png.b1403fc82b7a25bf6b012a05264ce0ba.png

I remember in DOS version Fremen units are normal Trooper/Troopers ingame after spawned, and no more armor respect other Troopers units.
In Amiga version they are even blue (Atreides) color normal Troopers ingame instead brown.

Maybe they were planning to do that but they didn't; on the genesis versions they have indeed much more HP, getting shots by turrets don't drop their health for a few shoots.

Same as the team bug for a "tiny" mistake, or the thopters that could be buy with the starport, or the lack of enemy IX centre so they don't send special tanks... or the mercenaries, available but they don't appear on the game. Loops that doesn't work, and so on.

Edited by Cm_blast

42 minutes ago, drnovice said:

Honestly 220 HP to infantry units (Fremen warriors) seems me to much considering that a tank has "only" 200 HP.

Well, saboteur can take any building down with a unit, and the DH, when accurate, can take out 4-5 buildings in 1 launch. Fremen are not even under player control, so to me them being a mix of a Trooper and a tank seems pretty fair.

On the genesis they are not op or anything like that; they are about defeating (in groups) a couple of siege tanks, but they are not match for a turret, for example. Under played control you could group 10-15 of them and using them as a meat shield so your siege tanks can destroy whatever enemy base while the turrets waste time to kill them (and since in Dune 2 you can use multiple palace imagine that).

On 8/30/2019 at 2:25 PM, drnovice said:

Honestly 220 HP to infantry units (Fremen warriors) seems me to much considering that a tank has "only" 200 HP.

Squish...

Although, the AI doesn't do that. The damage on the other hand is relatively low.
Health * Damage = kinda the total score for one unit in combat.
Go, and compare those two.