【Release】 Glory_Awaits Campaign- Ordos Part

MattBaker

11 minutes ago, MattBaker said:

By the way, I don't know how to quote one line to reply ...

quote.png.f4b13c7cab446ae0f15813256ca9ea3c.png
If you highlight what you want to quote, the "Quote selection" bubble will come up. Click that and it'll quote. :P

And Cm's totally right! Believe it or not, S06V1 is actually built off the same Ordos map. It's the only map in my campaign built on one of the original maps, but it was expanded majorly.
80x80 up to 110x110. I originally intended to do a multiple-perspective sort of map in other campaigns, but that hasn't happened yet. Anyway, see the comparison below:

Spoiler

3xY9Lhz.jpg
CINH883.jpg

Detailing, pathing, expansion / fortification opportunity... those are the core, most important aspects I focus on in map design. In summary, they mean:

Spoiler

- Don't leave too much empty space. Too much rock in one place, too much sand in one place, too much Spice in one place... make it twist, make it bend, add details like infantry rock or dunes just to make the image look prettier. That is a reason in and of itself to detail!
 - Make sure the AI can effectively path its units from point A to point B. Maybe their vehicles need to go around cliffs while their infantry can go over some infantry rock. This helps make sure that their vehicles and infantry get to the destination at the same time. This also means giving the sandworm many potential ways to snake around the map, too! I usually put just 1 sandworm for any maps below 100x100 as long as it can get around the map easily enough.
 - Give the player some locations to expand or fortify. This can be as simple as putting infantry rock in a Spice field, so you can put Troopers there to take pot-shots at sandworms. Or, this can be putting small- or medium-sized rock islands around for the player or a special AI to drop factories and turrets on his way to the enemy base. They can be flat land in strategically advantageous locations, or they could be naturally defensible locations, like cliff walls.

The end result, hopefully, is an expansive and aesthetically pleasing map with an AI artificially made a bit smarter simply by the measured placement of terrain.

That said, if you're having trouble drawing maps, I recommend answering the following question for yourself: What exactly do you consider the core aspects of your style of map design? Bearing that in mind, you should have an easier time drawing new ones up. And, having the idea of what you want to accomplish in the drawing of a new map may help your motivation too! Every detail comes together to form your final vision. :)

4 hours ago, MattBaker said:

The deviation mission: After you capture one vehicle, you need to send it to repair pad immediately; that's what carryalls use for! When it reaches the repair pad, you can try using hotkey "S" to stop it ON one of the four points of the pad, then it won't transfer, unless you move it or the repair pad is destroyed!

oooooh, so it is indeed a bug, right? That makes the map much more easy; I has having the units on the corners and deviators 1 tile away to turn them into my army as soon as possible and repairing the units when they get damage by my own units. But at some point the sonic tank (mine) attacked a Siege tank that returned to normal and killed it.

That bug is... interesting, I am already picturing a concept to do with that.

By the way, there is a "combot tank" on the in game message.

By the way, I don't know how to quote one line to reply ...

as easy as select it with the mouse
https://prnt.sc/nu3rr6

A "quote selection" appears and if you click there, a quote of only that line will show.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, MattBaker said:

Hi, guys! After 1 month now I'm back!

Hey Matt! Welcome back, I've been wondering how you've been doing. :)

Say, do you plan to join the D2k Discord?

Edited by Fey

On 7/12/2019 at 8:38 PM, Fey said:

Hey Matt! Welcome back, I've been wondering how you've been doing. :)

Say, do you plan to join the D2k Discord?

I was back to China to stay with my parents and friends for a while. 

What is Discord? :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, MattBaker said:

Emmmm... Good joke:happy: Actually I'm running out of ideas....

Sad, the harvester/mower map was very clever; I never could imagine a map like that.
If you want some ideas you may want to play the Luminar's Fremen campaign or my own campaign; Fremen only have 2 campaigns, but mine campaign it's a baseless campaign (you don't produce units at all) but you may get ideas for those 2 and mixing togheter.

Luminar's make use of "black Fremen" and "rainbow Fremen" as multiple factions, and since you are already using Luminar's binaries to do your own campaigns, you can still reusing to make a Fremen campaign on your style with any ideas you may have for those guys; dunno, AIs deploying bases being allied Fremen factions that help the player; spawns/reinforcements from a near Fremen Tribe that help you or that attack you because reasons. Dunno.

Just remember that my campaign don't use moded files (the map will be too easy, since the Fremen are really strong on your modded file); but if you only want to go through the maps easily you still can use it.

Overall yeah, playing the Fremen campaigns can give you ideas mixing different campaigns or just 1 idea that Luminar or myself did for a small map you can improve it into a much bigger map or even multiple maps.

Ps: You know, the use of deviators to use on enemy units and using them to destroy his own base was something I never think about, and I have 2 maps in which I literally make the deviator the core of the map, but I never through on using them that way.

14 hours ago, MattBaker said:

I was back to China to stay with my parents and friends for a while. 

What is Discord? :rolleyes:

Oh, that's cool. :)

Discord is an instant messenger. There are a bunch of folks who like D2k there, and some other stuff too!

10 hours ago, MattBaker said:

Hey I have a small question... I put a stealth raider on the map but when I start the game there is nothing. This time I didn't install any moded files. Did I miss anything?

I am assuming that unit it's given for the player ¿Right? Not allies, but the player (you won't see ally ST.Raiders unless an infantry near).

If it is really about giving the player the ST.Raider then yes, you are missing something. A file called Tiledata.bin that it is into the "config" folder from the editor. The original it's into your game's folder "data/bin".

Ovewritting that's file won't mod the game at all (not even the original), but you can create a back up if you want to be 100% safe.

What happens it's that when using the editor and try to place specific units and buildings, he only can add the ones suppose to use. This means that the Ordos can have Raiders, Deviators, Ordos Palaces... but if you try to do it as Harkonnen, older editors will place Trikes, Devastators and Harkonnen Palaces instead. The newers editors allow us to place Deviators for Harkonnen and Devastators on the Ordos, but the original's tiledata.bin doesn't reconize those units. Only that new tiledata.bin from the editor can do it.

Sorry if you really didn't want that explanation, but it's to let you know the deal of the tiledata.bin. Overwritting should be enough to allow you to see St.Raiders from now on.

Edited by Cm_blast

No no no your explanation is quite useful! Thanks a lot

Good to know it help you;

Problem solved! I overwrite the file and it's done!

Glad to hear it, and happy that you seems you are doing maps again! Any clues of the side involved =)?

15 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Glad to hear it, and happy that you seems you are doing maps again! Any clues of the side involved =)?

I'm also curious. 😮

Also, you didn't have the updated tiledata file? Gosh, we distribute that with everything. :) I'm surprised. Yeah, always a good idea to include that tiledata file in every campaign you do, just in case someone doesn't have it. It's kinda important for making sure stuff appears on the map lol

On 7/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, Fey said:

I'm also curious. 😮

Also, you didn't have the updated tiledata file? Gosh, we distribute that with everything. :) I'm surprised. Yeah, always a good idea to include that tiledata file in every campaign you do, just in case someone doesn't have it. It's kinda important for making sure stuff appears on the map lol

Because I have many Dune2000 folds and I don't know which ones I have updated :D

Yes I'm doing new maps but I need some "sparks" to enlight me :blink:

1 hour ago, MattBaker said:

Because I have many Dune2000 folds and I don't know which ones I have updated :D

You should drop that Tiledata.bin file in every single folder just to be sure. :P

Ah, so you don't know which faction you'd like to work with next? Well, someone else is currently working on an Imperial campaign, and personally I get the feeling you'd be able to make some pretty interesting maps for the Fremen. Would be nice with the mod you're currently using, too. What do you think?

3 hours ago, MattBaker said:

You've doing fine on your own, but if you want inspiration you may try to play some campaigns or at least some single campaigns. You may find ideas from there, even from the oldest maps, like the Mulciber valley; If I remember well, DH keeps droping into a spot and you need to do an objetive before stopping that; you may get ideas from there.

• 4 months later...

Alright; I decided to play this campaign once again; this time playing at normal. Well, I need to say: good work.

It is really a fun campaign; your best work so far. It's hard, and some map are really fustrating, not the kind of fustration that makes you give up, but the one that make me to try again and again until beating the map.

I used lots of cheap tactics like crushing infantry, blocking the enemy barracks placing a tank... things like that (but I didn't cheat; didn't even used the editor to look how the map looked before playing), and I totally defeat the whole campaign the legal way.

Some maps were really hard, some require to try multiple times; but overall it was a really fun experience and you did very well with this campaign. I really really like the idea of the mower.
And the mission to deviate enemies was also really fun, trying to hunt the enemy vehicles. The briefing needs a better explanation of the bug, I didn't know what was the "vertexes" on a circular figure; also, the shift+click to attack your ally it's something that not all people know (I do, but I know others not). But still a fun map to play, not too hard once you know how to keep the vehicles deviated all the time.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 4 weeks later...

I am letting you know, that on my lastest mission I made a small tribute to your work by adding a secret location. When the player reach the area, it spawn a group of units. I totally remember your work and wanted to make use of that feature so present during most of your maps.