Question for downloading

Xendrek

Hello, after some recent stuff I have really been on a Dune kick, and I had come across GruntMods Dune2k remake and I was really happy to find it. However I was just curious if it potentially could be regarded as downloading the game illegally. I do not pay for the internet where I live and wouldnt want it turned off for me and my family over a nostalgia kick.
And the same question goes for downloading the cutscenes.

Thank you to anyone who can help in advance.

13 hours ago, Xendrek said:

Hello, after some recent stuff I have really been on a Dune kick, and I had come across GruntMods Dune2k remake and I was really happy to find it. However I was just curious if it potentially could be regarded as downloading the game illegally. I do not pay for the internet where I live and wouldnt want it turned off for me and my family over a nostalgia kick.
And the same question goes for downloading the cutscenes.

Thank you to anyone who can help in advance.

Hey mate! Nah, it's freeware these days. You're good.

Don't forget to pick up custom campaigns! Check out this index for a list of many campaigns:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27756-all-completed-mods-and-tools-index-dune-2000/

Enjoy. :)

On 3/25/2019 at 6:07 AM, Fey said:

Hey mate! Nah, it's freeware these days. You're good.

Don't forget to pick up custom campaigns! Check out this index for a list of many campaigns:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27756-all-completed-mods-and-tools-index-dune-2000/

Enjoy. :)

Out of curiosity when did it become freeware?
Anywhere I try to look about it being freeware or not I get mixed answers so just wanting to double check I guess. I did find a tiny mention of apparently Westwood released the code at some point? But it was only one comment in a thread and anywhere I go is outdated by 5+ years.

Also thanks for the list of the custom campaigns and for the reply.

14 minutes ago, Xendrek said:

Out of curiosity when did it become freeware?
Anywhere I try to look about it being freeware or not I get mixed answers so just wanting to double check I guess. I did find a tiny mention of apparently Westwood released the code at some point? But it was only one comment in a thread and anywhere I go is outdated by 5+ years.

Also thanks for the list of the custom campaigns and for the reply.

Oh, nice timing, I just got on.

Hmm, I dunno. That just appears to be the case, I can't find it for sale and EA games would DEFINITELY be whining if it were still being sold. So... I guess it's not!

Say, if you try out my campaigns, let me know what ya think. If ya want. Otherwise, just enjoy. :)

6 hours ago, Fey said:

Oh, nice timing, I just got on.

Hmm, I dunno. That just appears to be the case, I can't find it for sale and EA games would DEFINITELY be whining if it were still being sold. So... I guess it's not!

Say, if you try out my campaigns, let me know what ya think. If ya want. Otherwise, just enjoy. :)

But it should be good to download? Sorry just being really paranoid about this xD
Getting a game like this is new to me and ive gotten a lot of "I don't know" when speaking with Charter but when speaking with a few friends and family ive been told that it should be ok.
Sorry if im being a bother just again feeling really paranoid.

14 hours ago, Xendrek said:

But it should be good to download? Sorry just being really paranoid about this xD
Getting a game like this is new to me and ive gotten a lot of "I don't know" when speaking with Charter but when speaking with a few friends and family ive been told that it should be ok.
Sorry if im being a bother just again feeling really paranoid.

That's okay, I think we've all been there before.

Again, I believe it's alright. Gruntmods edition is not the base game, it's a fanmade mod kind of like SPV3 and Halo: Combat Evolved. Sure, the OG maps are there, but they're... loaded differently, or something. I don't know for absolute fact whether or not Dune 2000 was ever released as freeware, but we've been modding it and playing with Gruntmods for years. You said it yourself - it's a remake, so it may not even be subject to copyright ree. :)

I mean, I guess it doesn't totally absolve Gruntmods of trouble, but look! If you've owned the game before, like I have, there's no harm and no foul. Right? No one here's making money off D2k and even if we were, I'm not sure EA would bother getting legally involved. It would likely be quite small. And hey, even if you don't feel up to the base game,
there are tons of custom campaigns out there and stuff.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Fey

5 hours ago, Fey said:

That's okay, I think we've all been there before.

Again, I believe it's alright. Gruntmods edition is not the base game, it's a fanmade mod kind of like SPV3 and Halo: Combat Evolved. Sure, the OG maps are there, but they're... loaded differently, or something. I don't know for absolute fact whether or not Dune 2000 was ever released as freeware, but we've been modding it and playing with Gruntmods for years. You said it yourself - it's a remake, so it may not even be subject to copyright ree. :)

I mean, I guess it doesn't totally absolve Gruntmods of trouble, but look! If you've owned the game before, like I have, there's no harm and no foul. Right? No one here's making money off D2k and even if we were, I'm not sure EA would bother getting legally involved. It would likely be quite small. And hey, even if you don't feel up to the base game,
there are tons of custom campaigns out there and stuff.

I hope that answers your question.

First, thank you very much for the reply and baring with me ^^
Second I called my dad (Who is the account holder of our service provider) and he did some extra looking and found out Dune 2k is freeware. You can get several of Westwoods old games here for free so you and that completely get rid of my worry. I look forward to playing the game and I will try out some of your campaigns. https://www.facebook.com/pg/westwoodstudios/shop/?rid=15129073921&rt=6

13 hours ago, Xendrek said:

First, thank you very much for the reply and baring with me ^^
Second I called my dad (Who is the account holder of our service provider) and he did some extra looking and found out Dune 2k is freeware. You can get several of Westwoods old games here for free so you and that completely get rid of my worry. I look forward to playing the game and I will try out some of your campaigns. https://www.facebook.com/pg/westwoodstudios/shop/?rid=15129073921&rt=6

Oh, wow. I had no idea about that page. :D I knew TibSun was freeware for sure, but not Emperor. That's cool.

Here are links to my own campaigns, and some recommendations too:

Spoiler

Speaking of Emperor, I came up with a Heighliner tileset for D2k. So, uhh, if you're looking for something very new to try first in modern, custom campaigns, the Heighliner mini-campaign is here. Plus, the tileset is made available in the event anyone else would like to map with it. It was specifically designed to showcase how the new tileset handles without any modding of the game that would overwrite core files, so... it doesn't mod the gameplay at all. It just takes place above Arrakis.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27863-release-heighliner-tileset/

If you find you like my mapping style, my smugglers campaign does mod the game plenty. It's also fairly difficult, though there is a tutorial map in S01V1 for the sake of acclimating folks with certain basic changes the mod makes! Plus, uninstallation is made easy with the way it's packed up, allowing the game to be returned to normal at any time with a couple of clicks. It has new graphics, new units, AI improvements, tech changes and re-balancing, and more. While the second half is still WIP, and twelve playable, yet WIP maps can be found its separate WIP thread, the first half is 100% done as of very recently. It can be found here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27508-release-smugglers-campaign/?do=findComment&comment=396536

Cm_blast and FedaYkin both have incredible campaigns, both with the OG game modded and without. I have to recommend checking out anything from them, but there are some novice mappers around here too who I'm sure would also be appreciative of a player's indulgence. The Glory Awaits campaigns MattBaker has out already do some pretty interesting things. Butlerian Jihad and Frank Herbert campaigns, both by Cm, are based on stories from the books. And, the War of Assassins campaign and its expansion, both by FedaYkin, can actually be found in your Mission Launcher by default. Links to all those can nevertheless be found in the index, which I'll link again here:

Hope that helps! :)

2 hours ago, Xendrek said:

Cool thanks ^^ I will look into them but gonna be playing through with the base game a few times as I dont think I have ever finished a Dune 2000 campaign xD

Oh dang! Well have fun. Those final levels can get pretty tough. :D