Resolution issues on Windows 10 with 2K monitor

Sprony

Hello,

I have some resolution issues on Windows 10 with a 2K monitor.  Regardless of settings, the menu is always really small (I think around 800X600). On 1080p I do get bigger movies (intro and cut-scenes) with 'cut-scene change resolution' on, but still not full-screen. With the resolution on 2K and the cut-scene option off I get movies the size of a post-it. Also, I get a full-screen when actually playing, but the map itself is much smaller. Below I've added some examples to illustrate my points.

9480FzT.png

9OFkd6j.png

DKDMWeS.png

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

It looks like you are using the (old) high resolution patch, which is not perfect. You can try the improved version from FunkyFresh from here: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

Or follow a complete tutorial here: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27834-how-to-install-dune-2000-from-cd-and-bring-up-to-date/

Also, this game does not work that great at that high resolution. The game units will be too small. I suggest trying a lower resolution.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

3 hours ago, D2k Sardaukar said:

It looks like you are using the (old) high resolution patch, which is not perfect. You can try the improved version from FunkyFresh from here: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

Or follow a complete tutorial here: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27834-how-to-install-dune-2000-from-cd-and-bring-up-to-date/

Also, this game does not work that great at that high resolution. The game units will be too small. I suggest trying a lower resolution.

Thank you for your reply. I removed the installed  Gruntsmod and used the Dune 2000 files from Abandonware Dos to replicate the steps in your guide (I've lost the original CD a long time ago).  It works perfectly now, so I'm very happy about that. I also used a very low resolution (640X400). The only downside is that I don't have any of the movies or music since there's no separate download for that without using Gruntsmod. 

Edited by Sprony

Nevermind, I worked around that and now have movies playing as well. Only thing left is that it's showing an white fps counter bar in the top left but I don't see an option in the configuration tool on how to disable that.

5 hours ago, Sprony said:

Nevermind, I worked around that and now have movies playing as well. Only thing left is that it's showing an white fps counter bar in the top left but I don't see an option in the configuration tool on how to disable that.

There should be an entry under video options. Here:
https://prnt.sc/n16ecc

See that? If you don't, you may need a different version of the config application, which we could provide.

1 hour ago, Fey said:

There should be an entry under video options. Here:
https://prnt.sc/n16ecc

See that? If you don't, you may need a different version of the config application, which we could provide.

No, I don't have that option. I tried using the configurator from Gruntmods which does have that option, but then the game gives the error below and won't start. 

s7tLnr0.png

Is it possible to manually edit the config text and disable it that way? I changed it to no in the Dune2000.ini file but that doesn't seem to work. 

Edited by Sprony

3 minutes ago, Sprony said:

No, I don't have that option. I tried using the configurator from Gruntmods which does have that option, but then the game gives the error below and won't start. 

s7tLnr0.png

Is it possible to manually edit the config text and disable it that way?

With that config you tried to untick the "enable dxwnd"? (or GDI mode etc), maybe 1 specific combinations of those options will let you to play the game.

45 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

With that config you tried to untick the "enable dxwnd"? (or GDI mode etc), maybe 1 specific combinations of those options will let you to play the game.

I tried all combinations, but the error remains. I installed the Gruntmods version separately to see what option is altered in the ini file that shows the fps (if you select it in the config), but I don't see any change when I do that. So for now, I'm stuck with the ugly white fps bar. Everything else works great. 

PS: I also tried to add the most common used options to the ini file like ShowFPS=No or ShowFPScounter=No but none of it helps.

PS2: I just tried to use the Gruntmod version (where I have the resolution problems) and somehow the show fps doesn't work at all in that version even though it's in the configurator.

Edited by Sprony

8 hours ago, Sprony said:

I tried all combinations, but the error remains. I installed the Gruntmods version separately to see what option is altered in the ini file that shows the fps (if you select it in the config), but I don't see any change when I do that. So for now, I'm stuck with the ugly white fps bar. Everything else works great. 

PS: I also tried to add the most common used options to the ini file like ShowFPS=No or ShowFPScounter=No but none of it helps.

PS2: I just tried to use the Gruntmod version (where I have the resolution problems) and somehow the show fps doesn't work at all in that version even though it's in the configurator.

Hmm. Damn. Ya know, we keep seeing folks with this problem that the FPS bar is there, I dunno why. Maybe gruntlord would know something more. Anyway, I'm gonna send you my config file. Try, uhh... try a fresh install of gruntmods, maybe in a new directory, and I'll send you my config file. If something's wrong with yours, this'll fix that problem. Just drop it in your main gruntlords directory and execute, and it should do its thing. I'll send my d2k .ini too, just in case.
Dune2000Config.exe
dune2000.ini

Here ya go. Hope that helps.

Uhh, yeah, it should be set to windowed mode the way it is, but you can adjust that. Hopefully it'll work first, that's the important part. GDI mode should be enabled if you're running in window or want to alt-tab, but otherwise you don't really need it. About the resolution, it affects how many options the sidebar has and how much is on-screen. 640x400 is the default, so anything new is recommended to be play-tested in that resolution, but 800x600 doesn't look too bad either. It's not too big, but you can see a lot, both on the field and the sidebar. And, the sidebar options aren't clipped majorly in that resolution like they are in some others.

2 hours ago, Fey said:

Hmm. Damn. Ya know, we keep seeing folks with this problem that the FPS bar is there, I dunno why. Maybe gruntlord would know something more. Anyway, I'm gonna send you my config file. Try, uhh... try a fresh install of gruntmods, maybe in a new directory, and I'll send you my config file. If something's wrong with yours, this'll fix that problem. Just drop it in your main gruntlords directory and execute, and it should do its thing. I'll send my d2k .ini too, just in case.
Dune2000Config.exe
dune2000.ini

Here ya go. Hope that helps.

Uhh, yeah, it should be set to windowed mode the way it is, but you can adjust that. Hopefully it'll work first, that's the important part. GDI mode should be enabled if you're running in window or want to alt-tab, but otherwise you don't really need it. About the resolution, it affects how many options the sidebar has and how much is on-screen. 640x400 is the default, so anything new is recommended to be play-tested in that resolution, but 800x600 doesn't look too bad either. It's not too big, but you can see a lot, both on the field and the sidebar. And, the sidebar options aren't clipped majorly in that resolution like they are in some others.

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately using those files and following the instructions has resulted in several computer crashes. I don't know why. I started from scratch a couple of times and every time I use a different configurator I end up with this error:

s7tLnr0.png

The only way it works is with the files from abandonware and following this guide:

https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

Specifically the configurator (added to this post) makes the game run on my machine. But, the only downside being the FPS bar. 

Dune2000Config.exe

2 hours ago, Sprony said:

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately using those files and following the instructions has resulted in several computer crashes. I don't know why. I started from scratch a couple of times and every time I use a different configurator I end up with this error:

s7tLnr0.png

The only way it works is with the files from abandonware and following this guide:

https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

Specifically the configurator (added to this post) makes the game run on my machine. But, the only downside being the FPS bar. 

Dune2000Config.exe 902 kB · 0 downloads

Aaagh. I'm terribly sorry about those computer crashes, mate. 😅 I swear those are straight from my folder, I didn't do anything funny to 'em.

My old man was getting crashes too while he was trying to get gruntmods working how he wanted, but it turned out to be, uh... the .r8 graphics. Setting it to .r16 worked. Although, I guess it could be the application too...

Hang on, are you trying to launch the game the normal way or are you going through the mission launcher at all? 'Cause when he started using the mission launcher, everything worked perfectly. This thing:
https://prnt.sc/n1f74q

If you open that, you'll see some options. Select All Missions and you'll be taken here:
https://prnt.sc/n1f7fo

And then you can find the original campaign files. And whatever other custom campaigns you've got.

Some of the OG maps have been modified slightly, but not really in terms of gameplay. Rather, the black tiles surrounding the really small maps, like level 1 and stuff, are there specifically to fix higher resolutions. That fix is no longer needed, I believe, but those missions still have the black tiles on the edges. They can be safely ignored anyway, they don't really change anything significant. I mean, they cause some minor gameplay issues, but it's only on level 1 and after that it's fine.

Anyway! If you click on "TOP SECRET" on the right side, it'll show a map preview, and you can see the black tiles in that preview on the OG level 1:
https://prnt.sc/n1f7nw

Hopefully that'll help. Sorry, I don't think the in-game movies will work through the mission launcher, nor will the new unit descriptions, but the maps should launch a-okay. :)

7 hours ago, Fey said:

Aaagh. I'm terribly sorry about those computer crashes, mate. 😅 I swear those are straight from my folder, I didn't do anything funny to 'em.

My old man was getting crashes too while he was trying to get gruntmods working how he wanted, but it turned out to be, uh... the .r8 graphics. Setting it to .r16 worked. Although, I guess it could be the application too...

Hang on, are you trying to launch the game the normal way or are you going through the mission launcher at all? 'Cause when he started using the mission launcher, everything worked perfectly. This thing:
https://prnt.sc/n1f74q

If you open that, you'll see some options. Select All Missions and you'll be taken here:
https://prnt.sc/n1f7fo

And then you can find the original campaign files. And whatever other custom campaigns you've got.

Some of the OG maps have been modified slightly, but not really in terms of gameplay. Rather, the black tiles surrounding the really small maps, like level 1 and stuff, are there specifically to fix higher resolutions. That fix is no longer needed, I believe, but those missions still have the black tiles on the edges. They can be safely ignored anyway, they don't really change anything significant. I mean, they cause some minor gameplay issues, but it's only on level 1 and after that it's fine.

Anyway! If you click on "TOP SECRET" on the right side, it'll show a map preview, and you can see the black tiles in that preview on the OG level 1:
https://prnt.sc/n1f7nw

Hopefully that'll help. Sorry, I don't think the in-game movies will work through the mission launcher, nor will the new unit descriptions, but the maps should launch a-okay. :)

Don't worry about it man. I know how these things are with old games on newer systems. 

I've tried both without success. Great tip about the map previews though. I didn't know about that. 

I think I'm going to send that guy from the patch a message see if he has any idea.

2 hours ago, Sprony said:

Don't worry about it man. I know how these things are with old games on newer systems. 

I've tried both without success. Great tip about the map previews though. I didn't know about that. 

I think I'm going to send that guy from the patch a message see if he has any idea.

Sure thing. If you get it fixed, do let us know!

11 hours ago, Fey said:

Sure thing. If you get it fixed, do let us know!

Well, I isolated the problem. It's the supplied configurator. Somehow that forces the FPS bar. I managed to get it working with a different configurator. Not entirely fullscreen but with black borders in the top and bottom (like with some movies) but hey, no crashes so I'm happy :)