Map and Mission Editor (By Klofkac) - FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Cm_blast

I wrote this FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) to help people that are getting problems by using The Map and Mission Editor by Klofkac; I pick up the questions that are usually asked; I hope this info will help fixing any future problems people may encounter.

*What is it Dune 2000 Map and Mission Editor?
It’s a tool that allows creating and editing custom maps for both Campaign and Multiplayer maps through designing the terrain, placing units/buildings for any factions, setting specific behaviors to the different CPU controlled enemy and scripting events that will trigger when specific cases happens during the game. Current version it's v1.3, but soon v1.4 will be release with new features.

*It works for the original Dune 2000 or only with Gruntmods Dune 2000?
It’s compatible with either of the two.

*Where I can download it?
From the d2kplus site here or from the forum here.

*Error:  “cannot find game executable”.
Open the file D2kEditor.ini with any text editor and check at the “[paths]” section.
Change the path on the “GameExecutable” line to match the current path that you have Dune 2000 installed.

*Error: “cannot find “Testmap.map”.
Same as above, but modifying the “MissionsPath” line to match the current path of your game.

*Error: “Invalid filename.”.
Try deleting the D2kEditor.ini file and then open the editor. That will create a new fresh D2kEditor.ini that may fix the problem.

*Error: “Trying to access side out of range (127)”.
This may happen if you have too many buildings and units on your map. Remove some buildings/units.

*Error: “Invalid blockTo, since already occupied by X of same side”.
One side has the wrong diplomacy by being enemy of himself. Change the diplomacy on the Mission Setting (F10).

*Error: “AI not initialized correctly for side X. Tech X. Cash X”.
Any active CPU controlled side need to have a “tech level” and “starting money” of 1 or more even if it is not present on the map. Change this on the Mission Settings (F10).

*Adding music to play on my map.
On the Mission Setting window (F10) write the name of the file on the “music” box, including the extension of the file (.aud) or write a “*” to play one track randomly. Version 1.3 of the editor allow to select a music with a deployable menu.

*CPU controlled enemies don’t build or attack.
The AI for that faction it’s disabled. On the Mission Settings (F10), at the top right check the tab for the faction desired to be controlled by the CPU and change the value of the “AI enable” line to 1 or import a preexisted AI using the “import” button and load any “*.misai” file.
Set of AI’s to import here.

*My own units are controlled by the CPU.
That faction has an AI enabled. On the Mission Settings (F10), at the top right check the tab for the faction you want to play, change the value of the “AI enable” line to 0.

*I can’t write a briefing.
On the mission settings window (F10) mark the option “Use .ini file for additional mission settings”. Map name, Map author, briefing... will be available.

*Can be placed units, buildings and trigger events for multiplayer maps?
Yes, you can, including new conditions for both victory and defeat instead the default ones.

*Can I set on my multiplayer map to spawn the initial MCVs in a prefixed position?
No, but you can preset the MCV using the editor and then editing the “.ini” file that it’s created when saving the map and add the line “StartWithMCV=No” and "UnitCount=0".

*My multiplayer map has some specific options, but has no effect while playing it.
The options selected on the skirmish menu have priority over the ones you set on the editor, but it’s possible to add a few lines on the “.ini” file that it’s created when saving the map to create some limitations like, for example: StartWithMCV=No;  UnitCount=X; TechLevel=X; Credits=X or Worms=X.

*I must play with a Sandworm present?
Yes, the game needs at least one of them of the map. However, if you don’t want to show any sandworm on your map, place it on top of any rock area.

*How I play my map when I am done with it?
Use the mission Launcher. Download it from the forum here. The Launcher will show all the maps that are on the "Missions" Folder.

*What to do with the Events and Conditions window (F11).
Check these video tutorials by aKaFeda to get more info.
Tutorial: Terrain & Buildings showcase
Tutorial: Mission Settings & Scripting
Tutorial: Main overview of the AI functions

*I don’t know what all the values on the faction tabs do.
Those control the behaviour of the CPU controlled enemies like setting how fast/slow builds, how often attacks, what units/buildings the AI will produce... More in deep info on the manual here.
Or you can import a preexisted AI from here.

*Why I can’t place a Deviator for the Atreides or a Raider for the Harkonnen?
You are using an old version of the editor; download the newer version here.

*Placing a Deviator for Atreides or a Raider for Harkonnen and playing my map those units don’t appear.
You need to copy the file “TILEDATA.BIN” that it’s in the editor’s “config” folder and overwrite the original on your game’s path “Dune 2000\data\bin”. This won’t mod your game.

*I copied the TILEDATA.BIN but grenadiers, St.Raiders or Sardaukar still don’t appear on the map when I play it.
Probably you are playing the Dune 2000 version 1.02; which those units don’t exist. Download and apply the official Westwood 1.06 patch from the forum here.

*Error: “My Version Of Unit didn’t find a unit”.
On Dune 2000 version 1.02 the grenadiers, St.Raider and MP Sardaukar don’t exist. Download and apply the official Westwood 1.06 patch from here.

*Deploying a MCV show the error: “Cannot find correct construction yard”.
Sandworm side (and others higher index) will always trigger that error. You still can add a Construction Yard directly with the editor without any problem. Another option will be modding the game directly using TibEd to give the Sandworm side the ownership of any Construction Yard.

*Adding a new custom tileset on the editor (only on v1.2)
Place your tileset with “.bmp“ format and your custom “.bin“ file (if you have any) into the path: “D2kEditorv12\tilesets”. Then edit the “tilesets.ini” from the “D2kEditorv12\config” path and add a new entry.
You can create a new “.bin” file with the Tile Atribute editor here.
The Map and mission editor 1.3 version will load the graphics directly from the .R8 and .R16 files (see below).
Note: your “.bin” file must be 8 letters or less long.

*Making a new custom tileset to appear in the game.
Place your custom “.bin” (if you have any) on the path: “Dune 2000\data\bin”
Place your “.R8” and “.R16” files on the path “Dune 2000\data”.
You can create both “.R8” and “.R16” files with the tile set editor here.
Note: your “.bin” file must be 8 letters or less long.

*Tools to complement with the Map and Mission Editor.
Tileset editor
: Creates “.R8” and “.r16” files, needed for load the graphics from a custom tileset into the game.
Tile Atribute editor: Creates “.bin” files, needed to set on which tiles can be builded or can't be crossed by vehicles, among others.
Random map generator: Creates new maps at random (only terrain).

Note: Faq done based on the version 1.2 of the editor. Once the 1.3 version it's fully release links and info will be updated.

Faq attached here - FAQ Map and Mission Editor.docx 

I admit suggestions, adding or removing any (un)necessary parts or correcting any wrong info.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 1