Fey

[WIP] Heighliner Tileset

8 hours ago, Fey said:

Wow, that's really interesting. I'm definitely going to use that going forward... or backwards, even. When I go back and adjust the OG smugglers campaign, S06V1 needs more attacks at midfield and less attacks on the player's base.

Ordos Saboteur don't work too well if you do this; maybe something similar happens with the St.Fremen, so be carefull with that. The Ordos may keep spawning saboteurs but don't use them, or they may join as part as a "defensive" unit wandering around.

8 hours ago, Fey said:

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're asking. The brown wall was in previous versions of the tileset, but it's only available on Base Platform. Otherwise, the blue / green wall can be placed on black or white platform. Could you rephrase the question?

Let's see if I can explain better

On that image I don't know exactly how big-smalls are the individual tile, so I cannot see clearly what each tile contain individually.
What I mean, your original tile (only 1 tile) it's my red rectangle: A tile that contain half green columns and half floor.
Or if that tile it's my yellow (on the second image); A tile that contain half green columns, half floor and the "brown wall" to the left, suppose to block the path.

I only refer to that single tile, forget the rest; if the "brown-wall" part to the very left it's part of the green-colum tile or it's just a part of a different tile.

If at this point I didn't explain what I mean then tell me where it is the very last version of the tileset and I will try to search it on the whole tileset.

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Ordos Saboteur don't work too well if you do this; maybe something similar happens with the St.Fremen, so be carefull with that. The Ordos may keep spawning saboteurs but don't use them, or they may join as part as a "defensive" unit wandering around.

Ah, okay, that's good to know. At least it could work on the earlier maps.

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Let's see if I can explain better

On that image I don't know exactly how big-smalls are the individual tile, so I cannot see clearly what each tile contain individually.
What I mean, your original tile (only 1 tile) it's my red rectangle: A tile that contain half green columns and half floor.
Or if that tile it's my yellow (on the second image); A tile that contain half green columns, half floor and the "brown wall" to the left, suppose to block the path.

I only refer to that single tile, forget the rest; if the "brown-wall" part to the very left it's part of the green-colum tile or it's just a part of a different tile.

If at this point I didn't explain what I mean then tell me where it is the very last version of the tileset and I will try to search it on the whole tileset.

Oh, I think I get it!

That's part of a different tile entirely. I did that to hide the border between Base Platform and other sorts of platform, like, gold tiles don't have borders so they need other platform types' borders pushed up against them, but I guess that also works to make the platform wall look more impassable.

I could add spike tiles with borders so they can be placed right up against the platform wall tile. I guess I could also add gold tiles with borders, but crates would have to be placed on the inner tiles. It would, like base platform borders, serve additionally to hide the gold platform craters which sometimes overlap with other tiles. This could be chalked up to debris getting knocked around and stuff like that, but still. It was more important for the Base Platform. Would certainly fill in those void tiles in the set...

On 1/18/2019 at 8:15 PM, Fey said:

That's part of a different tile entirely. I did that to hide the border between Base Platform and other sorts of platform, like, gold tiles don't have borders so they need other platform types' borders pushed up against them, but I guess that also works to make the platform wall look more impassable.

I could add spike tiles with borders so they can be placed right up against the platform wall tile. I guess I could also add gold tiles with borders, but crates would have to be placed on the inner tiles. It would, like base platform borders, serve additionally to hide the gold platform craters which sometimes overlap with other tiles. This could be chalked up to debris getting knocked around and stuff like that, but still. It was more important for the Base Platform. Would certainly fill in those void tiles in the set...

So, if I am not mistaken things; this is your grid, more or less:
https://prnt.sc/m92isi

Did you try to place the borders together with the columns instead? Dunno if that will mess with another graphics, but for example, look at this.

https://prnt.sc/m92iuw
The black part is suppose to be normal floor, like the other tiles the vehicles are in; the borders here are tied with the colums so the top-left corner (the one that have a line of blue and half part of a column pointing to up) it's blocked either way (either you use borders on the floor or you set another type of floor without the border. Also the missile tanks and the rest of the vehicles graphic won't step up on those borders.

Or maybe something in between, like half the border being part of the floor and the other part being on the column tile, but maybe this will refrain too much and then you are forced to do 2 tiles together without any freedom.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what it is better, visually or tecnically; I am not saying this as a "you should do it this way" but as a "did you ever through of this?" Also maybe at this point you have all the tiles on your tileset covered and this require a few new tiles from other situations with no borders or this will simply mess you overall visual graphics. so don't ever take this as an advice.

For Fey not the final draft.rar

Edited by Cm_blast

3 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

So, if I am not mistaken things; this is your grid, more or less:
https://prnt.sc/m92isi

Did you try to place the borders together with the columns instead? Dunno if that will mess with another graphics, but for example, look at this.

https://prnt.sc/m92iuw
The black part is suppose to be normal floor, like the other tiles the vehicles are in; the borders here are tied with the colums so the top-left corner (the one that have a line of blue and half part of a column pointing to up) it's blocked either way (either you use borders on the floor or you set another type of floor without the border. Also the missile tanks and the rest of the vehicles graphic won't step up on those borders.

Or maybe something in between, like half the border being part of the floor and the other part being on the column tile, but maybe this will refrain too much and then you are forced to do 2 tiles together without any freedom.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what it is better, visually or tecnically; I am not saying this as a "you should do it this way" but as a "did you ever through of this?" Also maybe at this point you have all the tiles on your tileset covered and this require a few new tiles from other situations with no bothers or something, so don't ever take this as an advice.

Ohh, now I see!

Okay, so the way the tiles work, having the special parameters pushed up against the edge allows for maximum flexibility. Because the border wall tiles end at the top, you can put any sort of platform atop them and they'll look fine, like how I have blue walls with Base Platform above in one area and brown wall with a Supply Depot, Launch Pad, and otherwise white platform atop, and Base Platform below. Like, on the right side of this screenshot:
https://prnt.sc/m7ssk1

There are a LOT of wall tiles because even though the top is against the edge of the tile, which allows any sort of platform to be placed atop it, the bottom falls upon any sort of color of tile, and you need a different tile for every single possible combination. The border is also up against the tile edge, allowing for formations like the left side of that screenshot, where the black, white, and Base platforms all have borders up against the Supply Depot. There are also those blue-green walls on the black platform in the middle of the screenshot, but they're not arranged with platform atop, just impassable terrain. They're also fairly small, so they create obstacles but it's easy to path around them.

I guess gold platform borders could actually be useful for bordering Mass Deposits. Remember, you can't place crates beside an MD pad, otherwise the Harvesters will always go on the MD pad instead of harvesting the crates. So, those tiles could use something other than crates to decorate them anyway. Again in that one screenshot, you can see there are borders all around the Mass Deposit except on the side of the gold platform. That would be the perfect place for border tiles.

Anyway, so I can't do something in-between like this:

For reasons you said. It would be limiting, it would force those two tiles together without freedom, and there's simply not enough space in the tileset for one set of platform walls without borders and one set of platform walls with borders. The platform base underneath the wall though, that can have borders, there's enough room for all of those and they can be pushed up to the side of the platform wall. I'll add more tiles with spikes and borders so we can maintain that better visual indicator of those walls being impassable.

So, there's a technical analysis on the tileset structure. Hopefully by allowing so many different combinations, we can make maps that are both aesthetically different and visually appealing. The two, technicality and visuals, are deeply intertwined.

The next update should allow for more options in infantry-only gaps in platform walls and more detailing around Supply Depots. I think I'll do the borders for gold platform like I did with Base Platform because, like Base Platform, you can sink craters into it, so it must have some sort of unique properties. Then, perhaps, the tileset will be done. I'm sure some folks are waiting for the final release so they don't have to deal with any updates while mapping with this, right? :P

I mean, updating it isn't hard, there are specific tiles that are left blank on purpose so I can fit more stuff into it. Updating won't change the finalized tiles already placed, it'll simply fill in the blanks I left there for the purpose of updating. It's safe to start mapping, but still. Gotta finalize it. :)