constant freezing

Nefforon

I downloaded the game a few days ago and it was completely fine then I alt tabbed yesterday and after that it has been freezing up randomly and is starting to happen more often the longer I play the game. I have to sign out and back in every time it happens using ctrl alt del, I am on win 8. Any suggestions on a fix would be appreciated cause the game is slowly becoming unplayable for me.

Perhaps the computer gets too hot. You can check if the cooling is good, like remove dust and see all fans are spinning.

Do you also play other games on this computer? They don't experience freezing up randomly?

You can also try to make sure your HDD is still okay by running chkdsk from cmd. (google for more info)

If it is not cooling or HDD, you can try different rendering options. I don't know which game version you are using but I highly recommend the Funkyfr3sh version. 

Link: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

Get the dune2000.exe and dune2000config.exe tool. In the dune 2000 config tool change the Renderer setting, see below, maybe that helps.

step7.png

The computer temp is fine. Yes I play other games on here and they never freeze but they are all up-to-date games(or i have the CD for them) no abandon-ware. My HDD is under 1 year old, and I clicked the link and downloaded the dune2000.exe and the config one but they won't open.

Was unaware I was supposed to do that and I have no idea where to find that specific .exe file you are referring to, it is not in the dune 2000 folder that the game and everything that came with it is in. I tried searching for it specifically but all I got was the files that I downloaded and couldn't open. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but the last few times that the game has froze I noticed that specific actions were being performed(ei something finished building or most recent me trying to open the pause menu). Idk what is causing it but I am nearly done with the last campaign and if a fix can't be found by then I'm just gonna say my computer doesn't like old games with no disc and leave it at that.

There should be a "dune2000.exe" file, else you can't play the game. Maybe on your PC it is just called 'dune2000' because Windows settings for common file extensions are hidden.

step6.png

If you got the CD and want to play the game again sometime, you can try this guide: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27834-how-to-install-dune-2000-from-cd-and-bring-up-to-date/

If you don't got the CD you can try abandonia version: http://www.abandonia.com/en/downloadgame/27329 and get the Funkyfr3sh files from the link I provided above. This version does not have video's.

If you reinstall the game, don't forget to copy the save games. :)

Edited by D2k Sardaukar