An Error

MattBaker

11 hours ago, MattBaker said:

I got an error when I'm testing my map. It shows below. I modified a few things but I still cannot find what causes the error. Does anyone know? Thanks!

11111.png.490c41477e7f65b822e672b64062bd63.png

The error happens at 69601 ticks (46 minutes in the game ,if playing at real speed, 23 if speed to the max); that problem probably it's related with something that the Ai try to do but can't, like grouping too many units on those coordinates: 101,105.

My first suggestion to you it's reloading a previous savegame before the crash and look at those coordinates. If there are Ai's in the unreveleaded area use Debug mode and take control of the other factions, so you can see if there is any AI amassing a thousand of units on that area or around the bases, because maybe units from the base can't even reach those coordinates because there are too many of them, blocked by walls or whatever.

Usually checkpoints or bottlenecks may trigger that type of error. Could be because a narrow passage of rifts, or just if there is too many units for the AI (or player) blocking the path, and since the error happens that late into the game, probably there is a passaged blocked by units so the AI try to go to an alternative path too big and crash.

So in short: try to load a savegame before the error happens and using debug mode keep at look on those coordinates and/or Ai bases, just to see if there is any area with too many units there or around Ai's bases.

Usually opening a bit the most narrows paths or helping the AI to have a more straigh route to the player may help; but if you still can't found/fix the problem you can upload the map (and .mis/.ini) here so we can have a look at the map.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Gruntlord6 said:

Glad to hear after all this time people use the debug menu still :)

It's the best tool for testing; looking what the AI do this or that or why don't produce X unit it's very usefull info you can get just for getting the control of the AI.

By the way; I remember back in time somebody edited 1 file to make the game to run incredibly fast. I don't remember which file was but was about overwritting the original so you couldn't have normal and ultra-speed at the same time.

Could be a possibility to recover that "turbo-speed" as part os the debug mode?

Sometimes, if I want to look at the AI behaviour for a long play, let's say 20-30 of internal game; even if I set the game to the max speed that still takes 10-15 mins of real life; then the AI don't do what I expected, so I edit the AI and test again; that's another 10-15 mins and so on.

So; on debug mode, a "Turbo" button that increase x4 times the speed of the game in real time (or two times if at max speed); would be impractical to play the game this way, but if it is on the debug part nobody would trigger by accident (and after closing the game the turbo speed dissapear); testing 30 internal minutes in only 7,5 minutes would be an advance.

It's the best tool for testing; looking what the AI do this or that or why don't produce X unit it's very usefull info you can get just for getting the control of the AI.

By the way; I remember back in time somebody edited 1 file to make the game to run incredibly fast. I don't remember which file was but was about overwritting the original so you couldn't have normal and ultra-speed at the same time.

Could be a possibility to recover that "turbo-speed" as part os the debug mode?

Sometimes, if I want to look at the AI behaviour for a long play, let's say 20-30 of internal game; even if I set the game to the max speed that still takes 10-15 mins of real life; then the AI don't do what I expected, so I edit the AI and test again; that's another 10-15 mins and so on.

So; on debug mode, a "Turbo" button that increase x4 times the speed of the game in real time (or two times if at max speed); would be impractical to play the game this way, but if it is on the debug part nobody would trigger by accident (and after closing the game the turbo speed dissapear); testing 30 internal minutes in only 7,5 minutes would be an advance.

Seconded! A turbo option in debug mode would be really useful.

And of course we still love the debug mode, Gruntlord. :D You should drop by more often! We're dissecting the crap out of the various unknown bytes in TibEd and the AI functions.