How to install Dune 2000 from CD and bring up-to-date

D2k Sardaukar

This topic is for all the people who Google about this game and can't get it to install.

I assume you have the English Dune 2000 CD (or .ISO file) with version 1.

You will need to download:
- Universal Extractor. link or portable version
- Dune 2000 1.06 patch. link or from this forum
- FunkyFresh adjusted DUNE2000.EXE link
- FunkyFresh Dune 2000 Config tool. link

Install the Universal Extractor (v1.6.1).
Run it and select the SETUP.Z archive from the CD at \DUNE2000\SETUP\
Change the extraction location to, for example, your standard games folder.
If asked, pick the i3comp extraction method and press OK. This should give 2 folder; API and DUNE
Go to the newly created DUNE\Data\ folder and paste from the CD these folders: MISSIONS, MUSIC and MOVIES
Now run d2k106us.exe (to update the game). You need to manually paste in the DUNE folder location to unzip to.
If you did it correctly the DUNE folder will now contain a D2KPATCH_README_106.TXT file.
Lastly paste the FunkyFresh files into the DUNE folder and overwrite the EXE file.

Start the Dune 2000 config tool and select a higher resolution if desired.
Fire up DUNE2000.EXE and enjoy the game!

More information also here: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dune_2000

More information about FunkyFresh files/updates: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

To help, please post Error messages below (in different languages).

Keywords:
How to play Dune 2000 on Windows 10 64-bit, How do I install Dune 2k on Windows 7 64-bit, How to install Dune 2000?
Installing Dune 2000 gives an error saying its not compatible and to check if 32 or 64bit
Installing Dune 2000 on 64-bit versions of Windows
Unsupported 16-Bit Application The program or feature '\??\D:\SETUP\INSTALL.EXE' cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Spanish Keywords:
Cómo instalar Dune 2000 desde un CD y actualizarlo. Dune 2000 no se instala, no funciona, no se inicia, no puede hacer que el instalador funcione
Aplicación de 16 bits no compatible - El programa o caraterística \dune2000\SETUP\INSTALL.EXE no se puede iniciar o ejecutar porque no es compatible con versiones de 64 bits de Windows. Consulte con el fabricante de software si existe una versión disponible que sea compatible con Windows de 64 bits.
Italian Keywords:
Come installare Dune 2000 da un CD e aggiornarlo. Applicazione a 16 bit non supportata Impossibile avviare o eseguire il programma o la funzione " \ INSTALL.EXE" a causa dell'incompatibilità con le versioni a 64 bit di Windows. Contatta il fornitore del software per chiedere se è disponibile una versione compatibile con Windows a 64 bit.
La versione di questo file non è compatibile con la versione di Windows in uso. Controlla le informazioni di sistema del tuo computer per vedere se hai bisogno di una versione x86 (32-bit) o x64 (64-bit) del programma, quindi contatta l'editore del software.

German Keywords:
So installieren Sie Dune 2000 von einer CD und aktualisieren sie. Nicht unterstützte 16-Bit-Anwendung Das Programm oder die Funktion '\ SETUP \ INSTALL.EXE' kann aufgrund von Inkompatibilität mit 64-Bit-Versionen von Windows nicht gestartet oder ausgeführt werden. Wenden Sie sich an den Softwareanbieter, um zu erfahren, ob eine 64-Bit-Windows-kompatible Version verfügbar ist. Die Version dieser Datei ist nicht mit der von Ihnen ausgeführten Windows-Version kompatibel. Überprüfen Sie die Systeminformationen Ihres Computers, um festzustellen, ob Sie eine x86- (32-Bit) oder x64- (64-Bit) Version des Programms benötigen, und wenden Sie sich dann an den Softwarehersteller.

Steps in images: 

step1.png

step2.png

step3.png

step4a.png

step4b.png

step4c.png

step5.png

step6.png

step7.png

step8.png

step9.png

Edited by D2k Sardaukar
Images, keywords, Spanish keywords, Italian keywords, German Keywords

• 8 months later...

Thank you for this thorough tutorial!  I've successfully followed all of your steps except for the enjoy the game part, lol.  I've been able to launch the game and get to the "start" option, but when I select any house, I get an installation error.  For example, I select a mission for Atreides and select "start" and get "please reinstall file not found_a1v2.mis."  The cd is still in the drive, and I verified that the file did copy to c:\games\dune\missions.  I am running windows 7 home premium 64bit.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Many many thanks for doing this brilliant bit of work!.Everything went really smoothly, Windows needed to download and install two extra items (sorry, I don't remember which) and I had to try one or two resolutions before everything worked properly. But now it's like the Goodl Old Days again! I am soooooooooo happy. Keep safe (from a sunny England in sort of lockdown). 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm trying to install on Windows 10 from an original Dune 2000 disc.

I've followed all of the steps but one (I'll explain) and have been able to at least start the game up, but as soon as I try to start a new game, I get the message

'this is a spawned game. Please insert the game CD and restart'

or something to that effect, even though I have the disc in the tray. I reckon that the problem is with the Funky Fresh Dune 2000 file, as I can't install that properly. I've tried several times but just get the following:

'could not install as file mss32.dll could not be found. Installing again may resolve this issue'.

Again, this isn't copied out verbatim, but that's the jist of it. Has anyone else experienced issues with the funky fresh files? Can anyone suggest a way around this?

Cheers in advance,

C.

• 2 months later...
On 12/12/2018 at 4:11 PM, D2k Sardaukar said:

This topic is for all the people who Google about this game and can't get it to install.

I assume you have the English Dune 2000 CD (or .ISO file) with version 1.

You will need to download:
- Universal Extractor. link or portable version
- Dune 2000 1.06 patch. link or from this forum
- FunkyFresh adjusted DUNE2000.EXE link
- FunkyFresh Dune 2000 Config tool. link

Install the Universal Extractor (v1.6.1).
Run it and select the SETUP.Z archive from the CD at \DUNE2000\SETUP\
Change the extraction location to, for example, your standard games folder.
If asked, pick the i3comp extraction method and press OK. This should give 2 folder; API and DUNE
Go to the newly created DUNE\Data\ folder and paste from the CD these folders: MISSIONS, MUSIC and MOVIES
Now run d2k106us.exe (to update the game). You need to manually paste in the DUNE folder location to unzip to.
If you did it correctly the DUNE folder will now contain a D2KPATCH_README_106.TXT file.
Lastly paste the FunkyFresh files into the DUNE folder and overwrite the EXE file.

Start the Dune 2000 config tool and select a higher resolution if desired.
Fire up DUNE2000.EXE and enjoy the game!

More information also here: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dune_2000

More information about FunkyFresh files/updates: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

To help, please post Error messages below (in different languages).

Keywords:
How to play Dune 2000 on Windows 10 64-bit, How do I install Dune 2k on Windows 7 64-bit, How to install Dune 2000?
Installing Dune 2000 gives an error saying its not compatible and to check if 32 or 64bit
Installing Dune 2000 on 64-bit versions of Windows
Unsupported 16-Bit Application The program or feature '\??\D:\SETUP\INSTALL.EXE' cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.
The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

Spanish Keywords:
Cómo instalar Dune 2000 desde un CD y actualizarlo. Dune 2000 no se instala, no funciona, no se inicia, no puede hacer que el instalador funcione
Aplicación de 16 bits no compatible - El programa o caraterística \dune2000\SETUP\INSTALL.EXE no se puede iniciar o ejecutar porque no es compatible con versiones de 64 bits de Windows. Consulte con el fabricante de software si existe una versión disponible que sea compatible con Windows de 64 bits.

Steps in images: 

step1.png

step2.png

step3.png

step4a.png

step4b.png

step4c.png

step5.png

step6.png

step7.png

step8.png

step9.png

good evening everyone. I state that I am Italian.
Having said that, I did as the above procedure and downloaded the files I needed, but I always find dune2000 in English and not in Italian.
How could I solve the problem?

p.s.= sorry for my horrible english

Ivan

Edited by puchu69

18 hours ago, puchu69 said:

Having said that, I did as the above procedure and downloaded the files I needed, but I always find dune2000 in English and not in Italian.

Ivan

I don't know exactly how this works or the steps to do, but look in this post:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26900-dune-2000-multi-languagepack-online/

It is sais it includes Italian, so maybe you can use it.

On 7/8/2020 at 6:53 PM, puchu69 said:

Ivan

Hello Ivan, you can get it to work like this:

Do the same procedure as the first post, but use a 1.06 patch with Italian settings (instead of the US one), this one: https://forum.dune2k.com/files/file/130-dune-2000-106-patch-italian/

After that make sure there is a file named "UI_ITA.R16" in the "Data" folder. If there is only the file "UI_ENG.R16", you can duplicate this file and rename it to "UI_ITA.R16".

I tried this and so far the game seems to work good.

Proof:

1016376567_UI_ITA.R16fromcopyingUI_ENG.R16works.png.96154430fb4034f8fe90166ed52f19ed.png

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

• 1 year later...

After searching and reading many sites, I wish I had seen this one first.  It is clear, concise, and to the point.  I have copied and saved this into into my OneNote for future reference when I upgrade my computer.  THANK YOU VERY much for doing this for the Dune community!  You rock!  Works great.

• Like 1