EA and Petroglyph to release remastered C&C Tiberium Dawn & Red Alert

Dunenewt

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 12:53 PM, Dunenewt said:

I'm hoping it will be a lot more than just a remake.

That's what I'm hoping for too. I'm not particularly excited but I think that simply scaling up graphics alone like with StarCraft Remastered won't do the job.

Also I'm a bit concerned that this entire thing came out of the blue, almost as if they jumped on the remakes bandwagon because it's trending now.

I mean, StarCraft Remastered came out ahead of the celebration of the 20th anniversary, and Age of Empires Definitive Edition is made by people who are madly in love with the franchise and do stuff with it all the time. Yet C&C seems to have been collecting dust on EA's shelf for so long, and then they suddenly announce the remaster amid similar projects coming out from other quarters.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if everything goes well with it, and it's great that they have Frank K on board once again.

I think they are planning a bit more than just graphics. There are discussions going on, on cncnet and other c&c forums.

My greatest hope is that they work a bit on the balance of the games. There are some aspects that ruin the game for single AND multiplayer IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

The exciting part is that we haven’t started development yet. The community is literally getting in on the ground floor of this project and have every opportunity to help influence how we build this remastered experience. Please continue to engage on Reddit and community channels and help us create the best possible remasters of C&C and Red Alert!

from: https://www.ea.com/news/details-command-and-conquer-remastered?setLocale=en-us

You should all 'go out' on reddit and community channels to influence them! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm fairly sceptical about this whole community feedback thing. They have already picked select outstanding community members who are deemed to have enough expertise to advise. There's no need to listen to the crowd and try to please everyone — chances are this will simply ruin the project, not make it better.

Community feedback?

Some pretend to know a lot about the games. That is the trap that EA has set up for itself. Asking a crowd that contains 99 percent opinions, has no use. It was better to lurk around first and ask who the players respect the most in terms of gameplay and such. I would for example, point towards Ferret and Nyerguds. They are respected and respectful. Also helpful and know the code. Nyerguds is THE man regarding this.
Even Gruntlord would be a viable source in this matter. Since he is THE man regarding Dune2k.

Sure, they can ask me for an opinion too. But it will always remain an opinion.

Also my opinion; they could have asked certain questions without telling who they are. Simply a so called new guy, seeking advice in terms of. "What if I where to remaster this game?"

• 1 year later...

Thye've announced that they are releasing the source code to TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll today:
https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gnevp8/remaster_update_and_open_source_mod_support/

Today we are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license. This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL. It’s worth noting this initiative is the direct result of a collaboration between some of the community council members and our teams at EA. After discussing with the council members, we made the decision to go with the GPL license to ensure compatibility with projects like CnCNet and Open RA. Our goal was to deliver the source code in a way that would be truly beneficial for the community, and we hope this will enable amazing community projects for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...