Map and Mission Editor: finally a small update after all (version 1.3 released)

Klofkac

On 4/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, Cm_blast said:

Hey Klofkac, I have a question. There is a way to make the window's editor to open in maximize windown? When I open the editor (not just now, but since early versions too) my first step it's always click on the max button, then press F10, maximize, close, F11, maximize, close.

It's an habit of mine, so if there is any way to make all those windows to appear at max size by default, adding or changing a line on the D2kEditor.ini file or something.

I will start using the lastest version in deep soon.

Well, the editor does not preserve the "maximized" property of its windows, only the size and position. But (at least for me), when I maximize window, close and reopen the program, the window will occupy whole screen (exactly like how it would if it was maximized), it is just "not maximized". I was personally okay with this behavior, so did not implement preservation of "maximized" property, but it would be easy to implement this.

However the problem is that I already released the 1.3 version, and there is not much chance there will ever be another version or update - there are quite few things for a next update anyway, and the problem is, I started with the Random Map Generator which was going to be 1.4 version or something like this, which I discontinued. But as 1.3 was still not officially updated on D2K+ website, I might try to modify the release yet.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:23 AM, Fey said:

I've also got a question, Klofkac. I can't seem to find where to change the default allocation indexes.

There is no way to specify default allocation indexes. But I think it's not a big deal to update it according to your needs when you create a new map, or you can save a blank tamplate map with such allocation indexes which you use as a base for a new map.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, D2k Sardaukar said:

If there is a (small) update, please also update your first post of this topic. 

Will you also implement your random map generation functionality into this program. Talking about this awesome stuff: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27886-implementing-new-feature-into-d2keditor-a-random-map-generator/

There are no further changes in the editor after release of version 1.3. All the changes I made were related to creation of a Random Map Generator. However, I discontinued development of the Random Map Generator - you can see my comment and reasons in this post: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27507-release-dune-2000-random-map-generator/?do=findComment&comment=397317

59 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

Well, the editor does not preserve the "maximized" property of its windows, only the size and position. But (at least for me), when I maximize window, close and reopen the program, the window will occupy whole screen (exactly like how it would if it was maximized), it is just "not maximized". I was personally okay with this behavior, so did not implement preservation of "maximized" property, but it would be easy to implement this.

It's fine, it's not like a life and death problem to me, but if on the ini writting "this" or "that" was enough as a workaround today (tomorrow I could have a new pc and the problem no longer bothers me, in fact, the problem barely bothers me anyway now) then you didn't need to do update at all, but again, not needed the trouble to "Fix" that, after opening the editor 20 times by now I got use to it.

59 minutes ago, Klofkac said:

There are no further changes in the editor after release of version 1.3. All the changes I made were related to creation of a Random Map Generator. However, I discontinued development of the Random Map Generator - you can see my comment and reasons in this post: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27507-release-dune-2000-random-map-generator/?do=findComment&comment=397317

He has a point. The main problem with placing the lastest version into a post on the middle of the third page, well... newcomers will always will check the first post, or maybe the last, but no one will bother to search through X amount of posts (which may be related or not) just to find if the author did some kind of update or not.

I have on my main index the exact post to your 1.3 version, but that still requires to check my index (not everybody does it).
The first post allow you to download the 2018-12-02 version, but the 1.3 final release it's dated february 23 (this year); I don't remember exactly how big or small this update was or the differences between the two, but people will download the older version over the newer because from the first post they will think "this is the lastests" version; A briefly mention on the first post will be enough; adding the file there or the post "lastest update of this tool here:" with a link of the 1.3, just for clarify.

Of course, that's up to you to decide.

Edited by Cm_blast

45 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

He has a point. The main problem with placing the lastest version into a post on the middle of the third page, well... newcomers will always will check the first post, or maybe the last, but no one will bother to search through X amount of posts (which may be related or not) just to find if the author did some kind of update or not.

Aah, I am sorry. I completely misunderstood D2k Sardaukar's question. The first idea that came into my mind when I read it, was that he was asking if there was a small update after the "final" release of 1.3. He was actually asking about updating link to the latest version on the first post. I usually normally do it, but forgot to do that as there were several attempts for "very final" release, and did not check it.

But now I updated the first post with the proper link, thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding!

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

But now I updated the first post with the proper link, thanks for clarifying my misunderstanding!

Maybe you were right and my post it's a bit of my own thoughts. But anyway; having the most updated version into the first post it's the best for everyone, so I will change the link from the index to point this first post instead, so people will read the changelog.

By the way; I did some weeks ago an Event & condition manual, similar to the one with the values of the AI. It's not a full tutorial on how to pair them or anything, just the basic meaning, like "reinforcements" it's the carryall thing, unit spawn creates units from nowhere and so on.

Fey (or any other person) need to help me to write it in proper english; but if at some point you do any kind of update (big or just small) maybe you will interested on add that too.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 7/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, Cm_blast said:

By the way; I did some weeks ago an Event & condition manual, similar to the one with the values of the AI. It's not a full tutorial on how to pair them or anything, just the basic meaning, like "reinforcements" it's the carryall thing, unit spawn creates units from nowhere and so on.

Fey (or any other person) need to help me to write it in proper english; but if at some point you do any kind of update (big or just small) maybe you will interested on add that too. 

That sounds good, I'm quite interested in it and would even like to add it to the official 1.3 release (which is not updated on D2K+ website yet) in case you finish it in shorter time. I'd also welcome if you explain something about adding conditions to events (what those checkboxes mean), how condition evaluation works, and how the flags work.

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

That sounds good, I'm quite interested in it and would even like to add it to the official 1.3 release (which is not updated on D2K+ website yet) in case you finish it in shorter time. I'd also welcome if you explain something about adding conditions to events (what those checkboxes mean), how condition evaluation works, and how the flags work.

I only have a basic thing written, for example:
Building Exist: Checks for a specific building from a specific side to trigger.
If no marked = Building exist.
If marked = Building doesn’t exist.

Feda's Tutorials are still far ahead, plus It's hard to explain myself when I am not even using my natural language.
Fey it's actually helping me because I wrote a line that makes no sense, or so he said, so I hope he can help me soon enough.

4 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Alright, done, here
Event & Condition manual.docx

Again, this is just like the basic understanding of what thing do what thing, so at least whatever have the editor will know that "reinforcements" it's the thing with the carryall, "alliaces" can turn alliances on and off and that what means to mark "building exist" or "base destroyed" or even how the "casualties" work, but it is not a full how to pair the events and the conditions together, but at least people may be able to know the basis.