Any small, resource-focused scenarios?

rkagerer

This is a great game but the maps keep getting bigger and I find I keep repeating largely the same strategy in the campaigns - connect distant cities and run passenger trains between them.  I dabble in resources a little where needed but it tends to be a distraction, with links made for a specific and narrow purpose, rather than directly driving my revenue or taking front seat as the focus of my game.

This seems like a bit of a lost opportunity given the rich and complex resource system in the game.  I feel like all the maps I've played spam you with way more resources all over the place than you would ever want to connect.  I keep expecting to find a map where resources take center stage for a change.  I'm thinking a small or medium sized map with very little duplication of resources.  Make it so you have to produce something at the end of the chain, but in order to do so you need to get at specific intermediate resources blocked by certain challenges - e.g. maybe one's located in territory where you initially have no rights, due to a war on or some other circumstances preventing you from buying rights with cash.  But if you ship X loads of some other resource to a city by the border, a black market smuggler will turn them into Y of the one you need.  But resource X isn't easy to find either - it's only located in some other territory where you likewise can't lay track, but there's a failing railroad service you might be able to put out of business then acquire to inherit their existing track.

Events later in the game could change things up again - the smuggler gets arrested, but some other avenue opens up to get at the vital supply.

Anyway you get the idea.

Are there any scenarios out there anyone has built which let you play a more resource and strategically focused game?

It's not a small map (actually, it's an entire campaign within one map), but my US History has resource-based events of various kinds. For instance, if you deliver significantly more iron than steel, then a "steel surplus" discounts rail-building cost. Likewise logs-lumber. Sometime in the modern era, the logs-lumber trade ceases to matter, and gravel-cement takes its place. When power-plants start offering waste, then delivering that to dumps proves you've supplied the p-plants, thus lowering electricity fuel costs. There's also an arms-delivery race between northern and southern RRs during the Civil War with a kickback personal cash award to the owner of the winning RR. And more (about 500 events)

Speaking of North versus South, the map begins with four possible starts (Canada, North US, South US or Mexico) separated by historical differences in track gauge. Over time, gauge unification and westward expansion allow rights purchases. New states' admissions and free-trade deals eventually grant all access for free, but that takes longer. Buying access early means building best routes. It's possible to connect the Northeast to Cal in the 1850s if you're aggressive. Did I mention there are multiple (diminishing) transcontinental prizes? And by the way, your company must earn a transcontinental prize in order to get silver or better medal on this map -- Just making money won't cut it. And to get gold, you must reach first do silver by a time limit and then carry on another 100+ years to satisfy a personal cash goal in the year 2000.

Like I said, not a small map, but the 500+ events make it more than a run-passengers-and-win exercise.

I agree, most maps are cluttered with resources and as I hinted in the micro- thread, the sane and more profitable way to play is to ignore a lot of resources. Part of the reason why I like this type of game is that I think about optimization. This ignore-stuff is at odds with that. An interesting note is that Railroad Tycoon 3 represents all production on the map directly, usage doesn't hinge upon a rail connection/delivery. Map making therefore required a certain sense to carefully balance the economy. Skill didn't necessarily transfer across from RTII.

Look for maps of sparsely populated areas. One that comes to mind is the Australian one titled Darwin 1942 by Peter Bennet.

The distance factor for Express seems to blow out the price formula on long journeys. By the modern age, 1980+ or so, the increasing desire for rapid transport has mostly brought this under control.

Maps from the 2nd century are obvious candidates. Letsdance made a map that addresses that in the earlier times https://forum.dune2k.com/files/file/1516-eastern-usa/ .

For a map that has a long chain of production, try Cascadia by Nick Bennett.

For something a bit different: Alaska Coal Mine by Gwizz  https://forum.dune2k.com/files/file/1067-alaska-coal-mine/

I recommend Jeffry's monster map, but try to get used to a minimal micro- style first. Also, ignoring stuff. You can go crazy on his map. Never finished this attempt, done while I was weaning off micro-.  https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/25127-replacing-engines-more-quickly/?do=findComment&comment=382406