Fey

[WIP] Smugglers Campaign 2!

38 minutes ago, Fey said:

Do a Harkonnen campaign and have the final map or two on the Atreides homeworld or something. I still remember the Atreides homeworld map from Emperor, you start on like the bottom corner and then there's a lot of water, and then the Atreides base is on this peninsula or something. Right? Maybe could re-create that now. Just need an icy tileset for Draconis IV and an industrial tileset for Giedi Prime... or, perhaps, for a Heighliner map...

Yes, could be done. Also since I already made maps with no spice and instead increasing credits, so that could be done in this specific case, although with the "increasing credits", at least if we want to do a "you got +10.000" credits takes plenty of events already (unless you set the money to 10.000 withouth looking if the player had 0 or 8.000 at that moment).

For the Ice maybe works turning up the original down-rifts, I don't know.

40 minutes ago, Fey said:

You're talking about the Gom Jabbar map, right? I remember that!

Yeah; That map. And yes, 1 ref very near of the spice plus an extra harv works fine, but when you build a new harvs and forget to move it into another spot, you can see clearly that 3 harvesters going into the single tile just keep pushing each other, slowing them down plus sometimes they go iddle for a while.

42 minutes ago, Fey said:

Oh, alright. I'm very eager to hear back from you on that, at your earliest convenience! S15 played very well for me on my testing runs, so I'm excited to hear about what other folks get out of the map. S14V1 / V2 went nicely too, but they're very standard maps. As fun as massive tank battles are on S14V1, S15 takes the cake out of this update simply for the new concept and stuff.

Since infantry in general have a higher range in the mod now, I'd love to hear how your use of infantry and infantry rock plays out, too. Troopers on infantry rock are nice and effective against any light vehicles now, and Grenadiers will always sit behind Quads. Even Light Infantry are more effective against vehicles and especially structures since all the building armor is normalized now.

I will try that soon.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:22 AM, Cm_blast said:

Yes, could be done. Also since I already made maps with no spice and instead increasing credits, so that could be done in this specific case, although with the "increasing credits", at least if we want to do a "you got +10.000" credits takes plenty of events already (unless you set the money to 10.000 withouth looking if the player had 0 or 8.000 at that moment).

For the Ice maybe works turning up the original down-rifts, I don't know.

That's probably the easiest. Giedi Prime has, like, this reddish terrain in addition to the industrial platforming, so... hmm. I guess I could see how that might work...

If I do make any progress on one such tileset, I'll be sure to let you know how it's going!

Yeah; That map. And yes, 1 ref very near of the spice plus an extra harv works fine, but when you build a new harvs and forget to move it into another spot, you can see clearly that 3 harvesters going into the single tile just keep pushing each other, slowing them down plus sometimes they go iddle for a while.

The idling is something I wasn't aware of. Well, hopefully the system is functional enough. :P

I will try that soon.

Yay. :D

Edit: Here ya go, Cm!
Dune2000Config.exe

Edited by Fey

I'm going to do something a little weird here. S18 and SBON3 are done, so I'm releasing them even though S16 and S17 aren't done.

This is a WIP thread. If you care to avoid spoilers or whatever, just wait around until I get the other stuff done. I took a detour to build the Heighliner tileset and I'm still busy of late, so I dunno when that'll be, so... if you don't care to avoid spoilers, here ya go.

Details:

Spoiler

SBON3: Industrial Accident - Moriaen is salvaging resources in the one place she thought she was safe - the Guild Heighliner. While Summers fights to block Moriaen's ability to send troops to the surface, you, as Sabre Durant, must destroy the army she intends to send.

Spoiler

Full map image: https://i.imgur.com/RuNssbq.jpg

Strategy:

Spoiler

Throw what you know about building the economy out the fuckin' window, mate. This is a totally different kind of map.

First things first, capture the three Harkonnen-style Wind Traps near where you start and destroy the Harkonnen-style Outpost. It's a Control Node! There's one in each corner of the map, and by destroying them, you'll turn the automated Heavy Factories friendly to you. You could also destroy the Heavy Factories, but that isn't helpful to you.

Here's how I recommend setting up your starting units:
https://prnt.sc/m7sii3

Green = Start
Blue = Reinforcements
Red = Enemy attacks

Note, you could rush the base to the right with your starting units, but let's keep it traditional on this crazy new map.

Get your first two or three Harvesters on the Mass Deposit, the big Refinery part-looking building past all the crates. Your Harvesters can mine infinitely from that location; the crates will run out, so save them for when you need a burst of income. The Heavy Factory and its attached defenses will not attack other automated Combat Tanks! They'll only be useful for fighting the central Guild base and its forces. Since you'll need to keep your own defenses vigilant, get your long range artillery on the white platform, get your Troopers covering them, and position your Grenadiers beside the friendly turrets. Your remaining Combat Tanks and Shock Raiders from the Guild Freighters should be ready to assist as needed. If you're not sure what to shoot, hit G and watch your units go. You may be colorblind, but IFF transponders are a thing for your army.

When you're ready to attack, try to make for the top-right or bottom-left Heavy Factories. The Guild's central base is self-sufficient and will not yield easily! You should compromise the four automated Heavy Factories first.

The top right is easier to attack, and you can capture two Refineries and even more Silos on the way. Keep defenses you're happy with covering your main while you push with a mobile force into other territory, and set up defensible positions as you move. There is plenty of infantry-only terrain around to position Troopers at, and there aren't very many enemy defenses outside their central base. As you continue to spread out, you'll need to cover more areas of the map from enemy attacks, so de-centralize your mobile forces over time. Aside from placing new turrets at conquered locations, keep your heavy Combat Tanks grouped up at focal points with Missile Tank support, and keep a squad of LAVs on standby. Remember, Quads are buffed up in this mod! They're still delicate, but they hit much harder. They are your main damage dealers aside from Troopers; the heavy Combat Tanks are best used to soak fire for units like these.

Top right:
https://prnt.sc/m7szh2
https://prnt.sc/m7ssk1

Bot left:
https://prnt.sc/m7syzr
https://prnt.sc/m7t328

Red = Enemy attacks
Green = Control Node
Blue = Reinforcements

Take the top right or bottom left Control Nodes down and you'll have one less Heavy Factory to worry about... and one more turned on the enemy, provided you can protect it. Then you can take the other, or the one in the bottom right. Like I said, the top right Control Node is easier to take out first, but attacking the bot left one first will give you better access to the bot right one sooner. The choice is yours.

There is a Harkonnen Freighter stocked with units very close to the bot right Control Node. It's conveniently closer to the bot left angle of attack.
https://prnt.sc/m7t6hl

Green = Control Node
Blue = Reinforcements

When you've got all four captured, or destroyed, you should have plenty of map control. If you've protected all the automated Heavy Factories, the Spacing Guild's central base will have about twenty Combat Tanks hitting it every three minutes, and you should have a lot of funds thanks to capturing Mass Deposits, Refineries, and Silos. No matter how obstinate it's been throughout the rest of the mission, it will fall now. Funnel your own forces into the attack and raze the base to end the mission.

https://prnt.sc/m7t5wu

Blue = Angles of attack
Green = Storm Lashers

Their power is easily crippled with a focused attack on their Wind Traps. You'll need to attack from the left and right simultaneously to get the best angle on their power. Striking from the bottom will give you the best angle on their Refineries, and you can distract or slaughter their infantry from the top angle. Good luck!

Technical analysis:

Spoiler

If you've been following the Heighliner tileset WIP thread then surely you know that this has been a work in progress for a while now. Now that it's been fleshed out some, I've made a campaign map with it! To add some more chaos to the mix, this is a max-size non-linear map with elements encouraging exploration, new ways to use terrain to your advantage, and a gimmick similar to S13V2, except with Combat Tanks.

Heighliners are massive. On the previous test maps for the tileset, things felt really cramped and it didn't really present a sense of scale. This map spreads factories all over the map among many red herrings such as the Harkonnen-style Refineries and Wind Traps. Aside from being potentially useful via capturing, or just fun to blow up, these things add to the sense that the platform you're fighting on is massive. You've got bases all over, huge structures... inside a huge structure. Long, wide pathways, Launch Pads and Supply Depots all over, and Guild units everywhere.

Functionally speaking, the resources system seems to work. Harvesters may act a little funny here or there, but Mass Deposits are excellent income and Supply Depots give even more once you capture a location. There are eight Supply Depots in the mission, and there's a Mass Deposit at each one, allowing for good economic growth at any location you expand to. However, this economic system does play differently and may require a little Harvester micro to optimize.

I'm confident the system will make for some good gameplay in future maps as locations need to be captured and held for the war machine to keep rolling. Losing territory means losing Mass Deposits, and that will make the economy stagnate for sure.

Unit pathing seems to be better in this map too. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the last two testing maps in the Heighliner WIP thread.

I think adding many Freighters, but giving only a few of them unit spawn events, was a good idea. This and the Control Nodes and Mass Deposits the player needs to hunt for encourages exploration, adding another layer of depth to the map. Goodies are out there in the shroud - go look for them!

Regarding the structure of the enemy base and how the map itself encourages the player to fulfill the map's gimmick before tackling it: Take note of how the easiest Control Node to attack brings the player's units over to the top angle of attack. The most well-defended angle, that is. Even if the Barracks are destroyed, two more activate at the bottom of the base, keeping the pressure on the player with infantry still coming, only behind the vehicles this time. The player's other choice is going to the left angle of attack first, but even if he manages to push through the Wind Traps on that side, the other half of the base has an active Storm Lasher and several Rocket Turrets. The base structures are arranged in such a way that enemy units can filter out through the many one-tile paths into a concentrated attack on the player on the wide bridges, but the player will need to blow through the base structures or his forces will be split up and picked off by the excellent turret coverage across the entire base.

Due to the way Storm Lashers work, the map structure and base layout are both conducive to encouraging the use of the map's gimmick. And when that's done, the player's forces should already be in a good position to strike from all angles thanks to the Mass Deposits and various capturable goodies encouraging expansion, and thanks to the Heavy Factories encouraging spread forces to begin with for the sake of protection. And, also due to the way Storm Lashers work, a concentrated attack from one angle will most likely fail against this base... while an attack from all angles will confuse them too much for them to effectively hold off the player's forces. It's all connected!

One more thing: I used LRA platforms in the last two testing maps. I like the concept of LRA platforms where you can drop some Missile / Siege Tanks and watch them outrange everything crossing the bridge, but they caused weird pathing errors. This time, I tried some infantry-only side passages crossed with LRA platforms. Infantry can rush the artillery, and they'll kill Missile Tanks very quickly if given the chance, but tanks will stop there. So, it offers some mobility to infantry, and maybe gives Grenadiers a good place to camp too. If you try that, try using Grenadiers on the new paths, lemme know how it turns out.

S18V1: Summers' Solstice - Time is running out. With the Fremen, Sardaukar, Ix, and Sabre Durant supporting your assault, fight through all the standing Guild and Tleilaxu forces, kill Achen Moriaen, and then slay the sleeping God.

Spoiler

Full map image: https://i.imgur.com/bgS9h1E.jpg

Strategy:

Spoiler

Don't panic. The first attack is nasty, but hardly impossible to survive.
https://prnt.sc/m7rlrq

Your goal should be to hold off the enemy armor for as long as possible. Those Storm Lashers will do a hell of a job killing everything if you can stall the enemy long enough within their range. Use your Duelist Tanks for this purpose, sell your turrets when they're in the red to save some cash, and move your LRA behind the merc ConYard. Support them with your infantry until the Storm Lashers overload, explode, and kill Durant in the process. You should end up with a few remaining units and hopefully an intact ConYard if you did it right, but if you are low on units, some Duelist Tanks will be delivered to you at this time.

You will see Saboteurs on the field... or not. They are sneaky. Just in case, get a Barracks up and spread Light Infantry around where you expect Saboteurs to try and pass by. Don't let them infiltrate your ConYard, especially. Regarding Storm Lashers, remember S15: Move one unit ahead of the rest, always, if it's online and you're on approach to destroy it. Otherwise, cut the power and don't let it come back up.

The enemy has multiple bases you will need to fight your way through. All of them have a Storm Lasher or two. The first has several weak points. See below:
https://prnt.sc/m7ts45

Red = Player's start position
Green = Infantry-only passages
Blue = Death Hand targets
Pink = Place LRA here

Hold enemies at the choke point while you build up a force to attack. Use your Fremen Fedaykin or Stealth Raiders to scout where possible while you build up. The more you can see, the better prepared you'll be. Moriaen will not let up in her attacks on your base, so you'd better know what's coming.

You may wish to use your infantry to invade the main base here - you can completely power down the turrets and prevent them from being rebuilt, but the factories will still present a problem. If you attack the main, I suggest using your Death Hand on the Sonic Tank, which will make it much easier to completely level that base. Note that your Death Hand will never miss in this mod. With the turrets powered down, you can use artillery to take out the Heavy Factories without fear of being lightning bolted to death on the west factory. Your infantry, once they've finished the job up north, can head across the bridge and attack the Light Factories. If you only manage to destroy one, pop another Death Hand on the second.

Alternatively, leave the power on and pop a Death Hand on the west Heavy Factory. Artillery can safely take out the east one, it's well out of range of the Storm Lasher's attack, and then you can push into the base needing to deal with only infantry and LAVs. You can brute force the Storm Lasher once the perimeter is breached, but the enemy will send reinforcements from the east.

However you manage to do it, raze the entire base to receive an MCV. Future Fremen and Sardaukar reinforcements will arrive at this location, and now you can focus your attacks on the new targets to the east.
https://prnt.sc/lmemub

Red = Angle of attack

The ridge where you get your MCV is very defensible. Set up some Rocket Turrets and, just like before, spread infantry around if you want that ConYard intact. You should set up new Refineries and more factories here to progress the battle forward. Keep building up and move east when you're ready.
https://prnt.sc/m7txzy

Attack from the north and try to go for the power in this second base. It's quite vulnerable, though there's a lot of it. If you screw it up and destroy too many turrets to keep the power offline, and you don't want to brute force the Storm Lasher, take some Stealth Raiders down the right side and sabotage their power in the back:
https://prnt.sc/lmep53

Red = Angle of attack
Pink = Place LRA here

You can expect to see more Sonic Tanks and gholas on the field by now, so take care while you push into this position. The enemy has the upper hand until you get to the next choke point. Once you raze the entire base, another MCV will arrive and future reinforcements will show up at this new location. Place some new factories here, get a Barracks up, and prepare an Engineer for the next part.
https://prnt.sc/lmeu0p

Red = Angle of attack
Green = STAY AWAY!!
Pink = Place LRA here

Ignore the Rocket Turrets for now; just stay away from them. Your goal for the moment is destroying this next base except for the ConYard, which must be captured to finally gain Storm Lasher tech. Summers will order all units to hold their fire once the shroud around the ConYard is uncovered.

I recommend hitting the Storm Lasher closest to the choke point with a Death Hand. You can brute force the second fairly easily because there's more room to move units over there, and you may be able to take the base's power down. To handle enemy defense forces, set up some artillery on the ridge and go to town, and when you're confident it's clear enough, push in. Remember, don't destroy the ConYard.

Capture the ConYard when you feel ready to defend it.
https://prnt.sc/lmf8kt

Red = Angle of attack
Green = Enemy defenders
Blue = Critical structure
Pink = Place Storm Lashers here

Make sure you have infantry spread around the ConYard to keep Saboteurs out and enough of a mobile force to cover your construction efforts. Losing the ConYard before all the Rocket Turrets are down means mission failure! Going anywhere near those Rocket Turrets is suicide, even with hundreds of tanks, but your new Storm Lashers can completely outrange the Rocket Turrets. Keep building units while you mass Storm Lashers at those locations, and keep your existing army around the Storm Lashers to block the final defenders that'll come your way. Once you have enough Storm Lashers up on a certain peninsula, they should have no problem killing both the enemy defenders and the Storm Lashers on their own.

The Storm Lashers will finish the Rocket Turrets in minutes.
https://prnt.sc/lmfeq6

Red = Angle of attack
Green = Leftover Wind Traps
Pink = Storm Lashers

At last, the mission is complete! Almost. Ignore the Wind Traps if you want, or blow through them. Whatever you do, get to that ConYard where the enemy commander is holed up and blow it up. And, mind the Storm Lashers on the way there. Good luck!

Technical analysis:

Spoiler

I don't believe it's possible to create a map more technically complex than this. Surely, this is my magnum opus!

And yeah, I'm going with a Worm God plot. After S15, Summers will have found some data exposing Moriaen's plot and the rest of S16 / S17 will be spent prepping to kill the Worm God.

This map is the big epic finale I wanted to design for this campaign. It has two dramatic deaths of main characters, a desperate situation all the way through, plot twists, massive large-scale battles, sabotage operations with infantry or light vehicles, super units... it has everything! It's climactic! And, it's the culmination of everything I know about D2k editing. Hopefully it's a good example for new mappers looking for how far they can take a map!

First, let me point out that this map has hit the limit for entities. Place one more unit in the map editor and save it, and it will crash the game on startup.

Secondly, there are three AIs in the first base, three in the second, two in the third, and two in the fourth. Apart from that, one AI was needed for Durant at the beginning, another was needed for the Storm Lasher / King of the Hill part, one side was needed for the player, and yet another side was needed for the Rocket Turrets. And, using the eighth AI breaks the sandworms. So how the hell did I fit so many AIs in this one map?

Part of getting this to work right was understanding how the AI changes its primary buildings. The default primary is whatever's closest to the top left corner, pretty much, so I had the player start in that corner. The two main AIs, the Guild and Tleilaxu, have factories in each base and they're arranged so that one is destroyed, the factory in the next base activates. This ensures the player is only dealing with the forward-most defense line at any given time, but there are other reasons this is important.

Doing it this way means the AI will have massive defense areas. The AI draws its defense area in a box, so if you put one building in the top right and another in the bottom left, the AI will consider the entire map to be its base and will respond to any hostile units in that box as being attackers in its base. Pretty silly, right? Anyway, the map's layout works around that too, like so:
https://prnt.sc/lfao7t

Although imperfect, I tried to put buildings the player will want to destroy in every base. Extra buildings like Repair Pads and Research Centres belonged to the incidental AIs only there to repair and rebuild turrets on-site. Wind Traps, Refineries, and factories were the only buildings belonging to the main AIs. While a player may choose to leave a Wind Trap or Refinery intact, it seemed the enemy still put up plenty of resistance regardless. If the player does destroy the buildings as intended, the defense area will constantly shrink from blue to green to red to yellow, making the AI act normally again as the map progresses. It's important that they're buildings the player will most likely want to destroy, for the sake of lining up my intentions with the player's probable strategies.

Additionally, having the factories belong to two main AIs and having the battle move along as the player makes progress keeps it fair for the player. Making three or four AIs fight the player would be overkill.

Finally, between the various points the player gets an MCV and the next enemy base awaits, the path is quite straight! This reduces the likelihood of encountering one of those terrible fatal errors we think is most likely caused by AI units wanting to take paths that are too complex. Of course, we can't expect a player to expand on his own, so not only does giving him an MCV or two, or having him capture a ConYard, serve to refocus the battle to new terrain and keep things interesting... but, it's also important for helping to avoiding that glitch.

Despite the linear paths between the bases, the map is quite expansive. There is a lot of room to move around, there are lots of places to expand, lots of Spice fields and empty rock islands, which hopefully adds to the feeling of the size and scale of the battle.

If we're keeping count, that's four AIs total - one uniquely the first base, one uniquely in the second base, and two main AIs giving the player a hard time. I knew I wanted this level to kick off with a bang, so I used the fifth AI slot for the berserk AI that would do Moriaen's first attack. Rather than use an event to make it go berserk a minute in, I gave it a little more than enough credits to not want to berserk, and then I gave it a Barracks. It trains one Trooper, then sells the Barracks and goes berserk because it's a practice AI with very little cash.

The sixth AI slot was for Durant, an absolutely necessary part of this map. For much of this second half of the smugglers campaign, Durant has been there with you in the thick of it, pushing you on and making each battle that much more bearable for Summers. On the undone levels, S16V1 / V2 and S17V1 / V2, he'll play an integral role, too; I think on S17V2, they'll get the first pieces of the Storm Lasher prototypes seen in the beginning of S18. Anyway, I want the player to feel pissed at the enemy by this point. Moriaen has been a giant pain in Summers' rear and now she's killed her closest ally. What's more, he sacrificed himself to give Summers a fighting chance. With only hours left before the Worm God awakens, and the situation looking more bleak than ever before, Summers must push on alone against Moriaen. I want the player to feel the desperation of the situation, but this first plot twist is only part of that.

The way Moriaen fights Summers back at every opportunity is another facet of the desperation on this map. Her goal is to stall until the Worm God awakens, and as I've always said, the more human an AI is, the better. Not just giving it a name and character, but she fights fiercer than ever before on this map. There should be the sense that you're throwing everything you've got at her, and she's throwing everything she's got at you. You both have goals, but only one may survive. And for the past several missions, including SBON3, you'll have been preparing for this one. Moriaen has been doing the same by being so secretive, by playing you and the Ordos against each-other, and now by openly opposing you with all her might. Moriaen isn't playing around anymore; she wants you dead, so she throws her strongest attack at you immediately.

This mission reaches a peak at the Rocket Turret line, where the unstoppable force meets the immovable object, tanks and gholas pouring out from behind the enemy perimeter, and the player finally gets to deploy Storm Lashers for himself. Just for that big, epic finish I was going for.

Speaking of which, the seventh slot has to be taken by the player... but, I didn't use an AI in the eighth slot. Rather, the Rocket Turrets are placed for a side without any AI at all so the sandworms can still work, and they remain dangerous because Rocket Turrets have ridiculous range and firepower even though there's no AI to repair them or rebuild them. The player simply can't pass without Storm Lashers because any tanks rolling up get one-shot right away. And sure, it causes the occasional weird glitch where enemy units will keep attacking the sand where a sandworm was, but that was considered a minor issue.

For the King of the Hill segment with the Storm Lashers, I simply re-used the berserk AI from the beginning for the enemy defenders coming out from behind the dense line of Rocket Turrets. It's still berserk, it just didn't have any units to send at the player, so spawning some in for this part killed two birds with one stone. Something I had to do a lot of to get this thing to work right...

So, that's how this map was designed. What do you think, reader? Did I pull off a fantastic finale, or were there some things about S18 that ruin it somehow? Whatever your point of view, I cannot emphasize enough that I appreciate any feedback I get! And if you've read this much, I hope you'll consider posting a reply as well. Remember, this is the WIP thread - whatever criticism you may have could go towards improving it for the final release. Thank you for your consideration.

Download: SBON3 & S18V1.zip

Both maps were tested extensively and beaten on hard mode. Certain screenshots may have an expanded view, but I tested them in the default resolution at 640x400 without a build queue patch or anything of the sort. Expect them to be difficult - they are end-campaign maps.

As with previous uploads, installation and uninstallation should be a simple copy + paste. So go ahead, give it a try! If you're having trouble, a strategy section for each map can be found under the spoilers along with a technical analysis. Good luck and have fun, and please do provide feedback here if you get the opportunity. Criticism is always helpful! Thank you.

Edited by Fey

Hey Fey 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:22 AM, Fey said:

I'm going to do something a little weird here. S18 and SBON3 are done, so I'm releasing them even though S16 and S17 aren't done.

This is a WIP thread. If you care to avoid spoilers or whatever, just wait around until I get the other stuff done. I took a detour to build the Heighliner tileset and I'm still busy of late, so I dunno when that'll be, so... if you don't care to avoid spoilers, here ya go.

Details:

Reveal hidden contents

SBON3: Industrial Accident - Moriaen is salvaging resources in the one place she thought she was safe - the Guild Heighliner. While Summers fights to block Moriaen's ability to send troops to the surface, you, as Sabre Durant, must destroy the army she intends to send.

Reveal hidden contents

Full map image: https://i.imgur.com/RuNssbq.jpg

Strategy:

Reveal hidden contents

Throw what you know about building the economy out the fuckin' window, mate. This is a totally different kind of map.

First things first, capture the three Harkonnen-style Wind Traps near where you start and destroy the Harkonnen-style Outpost. It's a Control Node! There's one in each corner of the map, and by destroying them, you'll turn the automated Heavy Factories friendly to you. You could also destroy the Heavy Factories, but that isn't helpful to you.

Here's how I recommend setting up your starting units:
https://prnt.sc/m7sii3

Green = Start
Blue = Reinforcements
Red = Enemy attacks

Note, you could rush the base to the right with your starting units, but let's keep it traditional on this crazy new map.

Get your first two or three Harvesters on the Mass Deposit, the big Refinery part-looking building past all the crates. Your Harvesters can mine infinitely from that location; the crates will run out, so save them for when you need a burst of income. The Heavy Factory and its attached defenses will not attack other automated Combat Tanks! They'll only be useful for fighting the central Guild base and its forces. Since you'll need to keep your own defenses vigilant, get your long range artillery on the white platform, get your Troopers covering them, and position your Grenadiers beside the friendly turrets. Your remaining Combat Tanks and Shock Raiders from the Guild Freighters should be ready to assist as needed. If you're not sure what to shoot, hit G and watch your units go. You may be colorblind, but IFF transponders are a thing for your army.

When you're ready to attack, try to make for the top-right or bottom-left Heavy Factories. The Guild's central base is self-sufficient and will not yield easily! You should compromise the four automated Heavy Factories first.

The top right is easier to attack, and you can capture two Refineries and even more Silos on the way. Keep defenses you're happy with covering your main while you push with a mobile force into other territory, and set up defensible positions as you move. There is plenty of infantry-only terrain around to position Troopers at, and there aren't very many enemy defenses outside their central base. As you continue to spread out, you'll need to cover more areas of the map from enemy attacks, so de-centralize your mobile forces over time. Aside from placing new turrets at conquered locations, keep your heavy Combat Tanks grouped up at focal points with Missile Tank support, and keep a squad of LAVs on standby. Remember, Quads are buffed up in this mod! They're still delicate, but they hit much harder. They are your main damage dealers aside from Troopers; the heavy Combat Tanks are best used to soak fire for units like these.

Top right:
https://prnt.sc/m7szh2
https://prnt.sc/m7ssk1

Bot left:
https://prnt.sc/m7syzr
https://prnt.sc/m7t328

Red = Enemy attacks
Green = Control Node
Blue = Reinforcements

Take the top right or bottom left Control Nodes down and you'll have one less Heavy Factory to worry about... and one more turned on the enemy, provided you can protect it. Then you can take the other, or the one in the bottom right. Like I said, the top right Control Node is easier to take out first, but attacking the bot left one first will give you better access to the bot right one sooner. The choice is yours.

There is a Harkonnen Freighter stocked with units very close to the bot right Control Node. It's conveniently closer to the bot left angle of attack.
https://prnt.sc/m7t6hl

Green = Control Node
Blue = Reinforcements

When you've got all four captured, or destroyed, you should have plenty of map control. If you've protected all the automated Heavy Factories, the Spacing Guild's central base will have about twenty Combat Tanks hitting it every three minutes, and you should have a lot of funds thanks to capturing Mass Deposits, Refineries, and Silos. No matter how obstinate it's been throughout the rest of the mission, it will fall now. Funnel your own forces into the attack and raze the base to end the mission.

https://prnt.sc/m7t5wu

Blue = Angles of attack
Green = Storm Lashers

Their power is easily crippled with a focused attack on their Wind Traps. You'll need to attack from the left and right simultaneously to get the best angle on their power. Striking from the bottom will give you the best angle on their Refineries, and you can distract or slaughter their infantry from the top angle. Good luck!

Technical analysis:

Reveal hidden contents

If you've been following the Heighliner tileset WIP thread then surely you know that this has been a work in progress for a while now. Now that it's been fleshed out some, I've made a campaign map with it! To add some more chaos to the mix, this is a max-size non-linear map with elements encouraging exploration, new ways to use terrain to your advantage, and a gimmick similar to S13V2, except with Combat Tanks.

Heighliners are massive. On the previous test maps for the tileset, things felt really cramped and it didn't really present a sense of scale. This map spreads factories all over the map among many red herrings such as the Harkonnen-style Refineries and Wind Traps. Aside from being potentially useful via capturing, or just fun to blow up, these things add to the sense that the platform you're fighting on is massive. You've got bases all over, huge structures... inside a huge structure. Long, wide pathways, Launch Pads and Supply Depots all over, and Guild units everywhere.

Functionally speaking, the resources system seems to work. Harvesters may act a little funny here or there, but Mass Deposits are excellent income and Supply Depots give even more once you capture a location. There are eight Supply Depots in the mission, and there's a Mass Deposit at each one, allowing for good economic growth at any location you expand to. However, this economic system does play differently and may require a little Harvester micro to optimize.

I'm confident the system will make for some good gameplay in future maps as locations need to be captured and held for the war machine to keep rolling. Losing territory means losing Mass Deposits, and that will make the economy stagnate for sure.

Unit pathing seems to be better in this map too. It isn't perfect, but it's better than the last two testing maps in the Heighliner WIP thread.

I think adding many Freighters, but giving only a few of them unit spawn events, was a good idea. This and the Control Nodes and Mass Deposits the player needs to hunt for encourages exploration, adding another layer of depth to the map. Goodies are out there in the shroud - go look for them!

Regarding the structure of the enemy base and how the map itself encourages the player to fulfill the map's gimmick before tackling it: Take note of how the easiest Control Node to attack brings the player's units over to the top angle of attack. The most well-defended angle, that is. Even if the Barracks are destroyed, two more activate at the bottom of the base, keeping the pressure on the player with infantry still coming, only behind the vehicles this time. The player's other choice is going to the left angle of attack first, but even if he manages to push through the Wind Traps on that side, the other half of the base has an active Storm Lasher and several Rocket Turrets. The base structures are arranged in such a way that enemy units can filter out through the many one-tile paths into a concentrated attack on the player on the wide bridges, but the player will need to blow through the base structures or his forces will be split up and picked off by the excellent turret coverage across the entire base.

Due to the way Storm Lashers work, the map structure and base layout are both conducive to encouraging the use of the map's gimmick. And when that's done, the player's forces should already be in a good position to strike from all angles thanks to the Mass Deposits and various capturable goodies encouraging expansion, and thanks to the Heavy Factories encouraging spread forces to begin with for the sake of protection. And, also due to the way Storm Lashers work, a concentrated attack from one angle will most likely fail against this base... while an attack from all angles will confuse them too much for them to effectively hold off the player's forces. It's all connected!

One more thing: I used LRA platforms in the last two testing maps. I like the concept of LRA platforms where you can drop some Missile / Siege Tanks and watch them outrange everything crossing the bridge, but they caused weird pathing errors. This time, I tried some infantry-only side passages crossed with LRA platforms. Infantry can rush the artillery, and they'll kill Missile Tanks very quickly if given the chance, but tanks will stop there. So, it offers some mobility to infantry, and maybe gives Grenadiers a good place to camp too. If you try that, try using Grenadiers on the new paths, lemme know how it turns out.

S18V1: Summers' Solstice - Time is running out. With the Fremen, Sardaukar, Ix, and Sabre Durant supporting your assault, fight through all the standing Guild and Tleilaxu forces, kill Achen Moriaen, and then slay the sleeping God.

Reveal hidden contents

Full map image: https://i.imgur.com/bgS9h1E.jpg

Strategy:

Reveal hidden contents

Don't panic. The first attack is nasty, but hardly impossible to survive.
https://prnt.sc/m7rlrq

Your goal should be to hold off the enemy armor for as long as possible. Those Storm Lashers will do a hell of a job killing everything if you can stall the enemy long enough within their range. Use your Duelist Tanks for this purpose, sell your turrets when they're in the red to save some cash, and move your LRA behind the merc ConYard. Support them with your infantry until the Storm Lashers overload, explode, and kill Durant in the process. You should end up with a few remaining units and hopefully an intact ConYard if you did it right, but if you are low on units, some Duelist Tanks will be delivered to you at this time.

You will see Saboteurs on the field... or not. They are sneaky. Just in case, get a Barracks up and spread Light Infantry around where you expect Saboteurs to try and pass by. Don't let them infiltrate your ConYard, especially. Regarding Storm Lashers, remember S15: Move one unit ahead of the rest, always, if it's online and you're on approach to destroy it. Otherwise, cut the power and don't let it come back up.

The enemy has multiple bases you will need to fight your way through. All of them have a Storm Lasher or two. The first has several weak points. See below:
https://prnt.sc/m7ts45

Red = Player's start position
Pink = Place LRA here

Hold enemies at the choke point while you build up a force to attack. Use your Fremen Fedaykin or Stealth Raiders to scout where possible while you build up. The more you can see, the better prepared you'll be. Moriaen will not let up in her attacks on your base, so you'd better know what's coming.

You may wish to use your infantry to invade the main base here - you can completely power down the turrets and prevent them from being rebuilt, but the factories will still present a problem. If you attack the main, I suggest using your Death Hand on the Sonic Tank, which will make it much easier to completely level that base. Note that your Death Hand will never miss in this mod. With the turrets powered down, you can use artillery to take out the Heavy Factories without fear of being lightning bolted to death on the west factory. Your infantry, once they've finished the job up north, can head across the bridge and attack the Light Factories. If you only manage to destroy one, pop another Death Hand on the second.

Alternatively, leave the power on and pop a Death Hand on the west Heavy Factory. Artillery can safely take out the east one, it's well out of range of the Storm Lasher's attack, and then you can push into the base needing to deal with only infantry and LAVs. You can brute force the Storm Lasher once the perimeter is breached, but the enemy will send reinforcements from the east.

However you manage to do it, raze the entire base to receive an MCV. Future Fremen and Sardaukar reinforcements will arrive at this location, and now you can focus your attacks on the new targets to the east.
https://prnt.sc/lmemub

Red = Angle of attack

The ridge where you get your MCV is very defensible. Set up some Rocket Turrets and, just like before, spread infantry around if you want that ConYard intact. You should set up new Refineries and more factories here to progress the battle forward. Keep building up and move east when you're ready.
https://prnt.sc/m7txzy

Attack from the north and try to go for the power in this second base. It's quite vulnerable, though there's a lot of it. If you screw it up and destroy too many turrets to keep the power offline, and you don't want to brute force the Storm Lasher, take some Stealth Raiders down the right side and sabotage their power in the back:
https://prnt.sc/lmep53

Red = Angle of attack
Pink = Place LRA here

You can expect to see more Sonic Tanks and gholas on the field by now, so take care while you push into this position. The enemy has the upper hand until you get to the next choke point. Once you raze the entire base, another MCV will arrive and future reinforcements will show up at this new location. Place some new factories here, get a Barracks up, and prepare an Engineer for the next part.
https://prnt.sc/lmeu0p

Red = Angle of attack
Green = STAY AWAY!!
Pink = Place LRA here

Ignore the Rocket Turrets for now; just stay away from them. Your goal for the moment is destroying this next base except for the ConYard, which must be captured to finally gain Storm Lasher tech. Summers will order all units to hold their fire once the shroud around the ConYard is uncovered.

I recommend hitting the Storm Lasher closest to the choke point with a Death Hand. You can brute force the second fairly easily because there's more room to move units over there, and you may be able to take the base's power down. To handle enemy defense forces, set up some artillery on the ridge and go to town, and when you're confident it's clear enough, push in. Remember, don't destroy the ConYard.

Capture the ConYard when you feel ready to defend it.
https://prnt.sc/lmf8kt

Red = Angle of attack
Green = Enemy defenders
Pink = Place Storm Lashers here

Make sure you have infantry spread around the ConYard to keep Saboteurs out and enough of a mobile force to cover your construction efforts. Losing the ConYard before all the Rocket Turrets are down means mission failure! Going anywhere near those Rocket Turrets is suicide, even with hundreds of tanks, but your new Storm Lashers can completely outrange the Rocket Turrets. Keep building units while you mass Storm Lashers at those locations, and keep your existing army around the Storm Lashers to block the final defenders that'll come your way. Once you have enough Storm Lashers up on a certain peninsula, they should have no problem killing both the enemy defenders and the Storm Lashers on their own.

The Storm Lashers will finish the Rocket Turrets in minutes.
https://prnt.sc/lmfeq6

Red = Angle of attack
Green = Leftover Wind Traps
Pink = Storm Lashers

At last, the mission is complete! Almost. Ignore the Wind Traps if you want, or blow through them. Whatever you do, get to that ConYard where the enemy commander is holed up and blow it up. And, mind the Storm Lashers on the way there. Good luck!

Technical analysis:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't believe it's possible to create a map more technically complex than this. Surely, this is my magnum opus!

And yeah, I'm going with a Worm God plot. After S15, Summers will have found some data exposing Moriaen's plot and the rest of S16 / S17 will be spent prepping to kill the Worm God.

This map is the big epic finale I wanted to design for this campaign. It has two dramatic deaths of main characters, a desperate situation all the way through, plot twists, massive large-scale battles, sabotage operations with infantry or light vehicles, super units... it has everything! It's climactic! And, it's the culmination of everything I know about D2k editing. Hopefully it's a good example for new mappers looking for how far they can take a map!

First, let me point out that this map has hit the limit for entities. Place one more unit in the map editor and save it, and it will crash the game on startup.

Secondly, there are three AIs in the first base, three in the second, two in the third, and two in the fourth. Apart from that, one AI was needed for Durant at the beginning, another was needed for the Storm Lasher / King of the Hill part, one side was needed for the player, and yet another side was needed for the Rocket Turrets. And, using the eighth AI breaks the sandworms. So how the hell did I fit so many AIs in this one map?

Part of getting this to work right was understanding how the AI changes its primary buildings. The default primary is whatever's closest to the top left corner, pretty much, so I had the player start in that corner. The two main AIs, the Guild and Tleilaxu, have factories in each base and they're arranged so that one is destroyed, the factory in the next base activates. This ensures the player is only dealing with the forward-most defense line at any given time, but there are other reasons this is important.

Doing it this way means the AI will have massive defense areas. The AI draws its defense area in a box, so if you put one building in the top right and another in the bottom left, the AI will consider the entire map to be its base and will respond to any hostile units in that box as being attackers in its base. Pretty silly, right? Anyway, the map's layout works around that too, like so:
https://prnt.sc/lfao7t

Although imperfect, I tried to put buildings the player will want to destroy in every base. Extra buildings like Repair Pads and Research Centres belonged to the incidental AIs only there to repair and rebuild turrets on-site. Wind Traps, Refineries, and factories were the only buildings belonging to the main AIs. While a player may choose to leave a Wind Trap or Refinery intact, it seemed the enemy still put up plenty of resistance regardless. If the player does destroy the buildings as intended, the defense area will constantly shrink from blue to green to red to yellow, making the AI act normally again as the map progresses. It's important that they're buildings the player will most likely want to destroy, for the sake of lining up my intentions with the player's probable strategies.

Additionally, having the factories belong to two main AIs and having the battle move along as the player makes progress keeps it fair for the player. Making three or four AIs fight the player would be overkill.

Finally, between the various points the player gets an MCV and the next enemy base awaits, the path is quite straight! This reduces the likelihood of encountering one of those terrible fatal errors we think is most likely caused by AI units wanting to take paths that are too complex. Of course, we can't expect a player to expand on his own, so not only does giving him an MCV or two, or having him capture a ConYard, serve to refocus the battle to new terrain and keep things interesting... but, it's also important for helping to avoiding that glitch.

Despite the linear paths between the bases, the map is quite expansive. There is a lot of room to move around, there are lots of places to expand, lots of Spice fields and empty rock islands, which hopefully adds to the feeling of the size and scale of the battle.

If we're keeping count, that's four AIs total - one uniquely the first base, one uniquely in the second base, and two main AIs giving the player a hard time. I knew I wanted this level to kick off with a bang, so I used the fifth AI slot for the berserk AI that would do Moriaen's first attack. Rather than use an event to make it go berserk a minute in, I gave it a little more than enough credits to not want to berserk, and then I gave it a Barracks. It trains one Trooper, then sells the Barracks and goes berserk because it's a practice AI with very little cash.

The sixth AI slot was for Durant, an absolutely necessary part of this map. For much of this second half of the smugglers campaign, Durant has been there with you in the thick of it, pushing you on and making each battle that much more bearable for Summers. On the undone levels, S16V1 / V2 and S17V1 / V2, he'll play an integral role, too; I think on S17V2, they'll get the first pieces of the Storm Lasher prototypes seen in the beginning of S18. Anyway, I want the player to feel pissed at the enemy by this point. Moriaen has been a giant pain in Summers' rear and now she's killed her closest ally. What's more, he sacrificed himself to give Summers a fighting chance. With only hours left before the Worm God awakens, and the situation looking more bleak than ever before, Summers must push on alone against Moriaen. I want the player to feel the desperation of the situation, but this first plot twist is only part of that.

The way Moriaen fights Summers back at every opportunity is another facet of the desperation on this map. Her goal is to stall until the Worm God awakens, and as I've always said, the more human an AI is, the better. Not just giving it a name and character, but she fights fiercer than ever before on this map. There should be the sense that you're throwing everything you've got at her, and she's throwing everything she's got at you. You both have goals, but only one may survive. And for the past several missions, including SBON3, you'll have been preparing for this one. Moriaen has been doing the same by being so secretive, by playing you and the Ordos against each-other, and now by openly opposing you with all her might. Moriaen isn't playing around anymore; she wants you dead, so she throws her strongest attack at you immediately.

This mission reaches a peak at the Rocket Turret line, where the unstoppable force meets the immovable object, tanks and gholas pouring out from behind the enemy perimeter, and the player finally gets to deploy Storm Lashers for himself. Just for that big, epic finish I was going for.

Speaking of which, the seventh slot has to be taken by the player... but, I didn't use an AI in the eighth slot. Rather, the Rocket Turrets are placed for a side without any AI at all so the sandworms can still work, and they remain dangerous because Rocket Turrets have ridiculous range and firepower even though there's no AI to repair them or rebuild them. The player simply can't pass without Storm Lashers because any tanks rolling up get one-shot right away. And sure, it causes the occasional weird glitch where enemy units will keep attacking the sand where a sandworm was, but that was considered a minor issue.

For the King of the Hill segment with the Storm Lashers, I simply re-used the berserk AI from the beginning for the enemy defenders coming out from behind the dense line of Rocket Turrets. It's still berserk, it just didn't have any units to send at the player, so spawning some in for this part killed two birds with one stone. Something I had to do a lot of to get this thing to work right...

So, that's how this map was designed. What do you think, reader? Did I pull off a fantastic finale, or were there some things about S18 that ruin it somehow? Whatever your point of view, I cannot emphasize enough that I appreciate any feedback I get! And if you've read this much, I hope you'll consider posting a reply as well. Remember, this is the WIP thread - whatever criticism you may have could go towards improving it for the final release. Thank you for your consideration.

Download: SBON3 & S18V1.zip

Both maps were tested extensively and beaten on hard mode. Certain screenshots may have an expanded view, but I tested them in the default resolution at 640x400 without a build queue patch or anything of the sort. Expect them to be difficult - they are end-campaign maps.

As with previous uploads, installation and uninstallation should be a simple copy + paste. So go ahead, give it a try! If you're having trouble, a strategy section for each map can be found under the spoilers along with a technical analysis. Good luck and have fun, and please do provide feedback here if you get the opportunity. Criticism is always helpful! Thank you.

S18v1 seems to be working fine on mine however SBON3 keeps coming up "File not found BLOXHILN.R8" i cant seem to find where to put it in the dictionary, proberly being dum lol

1 hour ago, JasperRowan said:

S18v1 seems to be working fine on mine however SBON3 keeps coming up "File not found BLOXHILN.R8" i cant seem to find where to put it in the dictionary, proberly being dum lol

I guess you have the game with 8 bit graphics, Fey only uploaded the file for the 16 graphics. You can set the game to 16 by entering the main menu executing dune2000 (not the launcher or mid game), in the options appears the 8 or 16 graphics.

Or that or you can wait until Fey upload the file to 8 bits too.

7 hours ago, JasperRowan said:

Hey Fey 

Hey mate! Thanks for trying out the maps. Please do let me know how they go!

That's weird, the BLOXHILN.r8 file was included in the download and I just confirmed myself that it's there. Well, here it is again, just in case:
BLOXHILN.R8

This goes in your D2k directory under the "data" folder. The file contains the tileset image used to paint the map in-game; without it, there's no terrain, so the map doesn't load and wouldn't be playable anyway.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Fey