D2K editor problem (Solved)

zidane2

I have made a few maps on the Dune2000 map and mission editor,but it doesnt let me test the map, at first when i pressed "quick launch" it said it cant find dune2000.exe, i corrected it, but now after a quick launch it shuts down and tells me it cant find _TESTMAP.mis.

The installation is by default in C/ disk and nothing was changed

Also my custom maps are not visible in skirmish, any ideas?

37 minutes ago, zidane2 said:

I have made a few maps on the Dune2000 map and mission editor,but it doesnt let me test the map, at first when i pressed "quick launch" it said it cant find dune2000.exe, i corrected it, but now after a quick launch it shuts down and tells me it cant find _TESTMAP.mis.

The installation is by default in C/ disk and nothing was changed

Also my custom maps are not visible in skirmish, any ideas?

I had the same problem; I did several things because my editor continue to try to load the game and/or the maps on the wrong folder.

The editor have a "D2kEditor.ini" file that contain (in 1 of the sections) the paths that the editor it's going to follow for both executing the game and testing it. You can try editing this if you didn't before. You can also delete the file at all and open the editor again; this will generate a new D2kEditor.ini that should have the good path (I suggest doing a back up copy of that file, just in case).

If you already tried that (or you do it now and doesn't work) I did something more to be able to use the test buttom-launch. I opened the file called "resources.cfg" with the notepad (this file it's on the main folder of the Dune game) and I changed the line that refer to the missions, from the "data\mission" where the files should be (where the original campaigns files "A1V1.map-A9V2.map" are) and change it to:
missions\ (no other subfolders).

Besides that, I move all those files (original campaign, other custom campaign and my own custom campaign map) into the folder "mission" out of any "data" = "Dune 2000\Missions",

In my case I did all of this, but if nothing of this work or if this looks to hard to you do it, another solution it's to after saving the map, then opening the missionlauncher and choosing your map to play it. It's a bit more tedious but as a workaround can be enough.

About your skirmish map: If you are using gruntmods your skirmish type of maps need to be into "Dune 2000\data\maps" and then you can execute the "cncnet5.exe" file to launch the online/practice/skirmish menu; there your new custom skirmish map should appear.

In case you are talking about Dune 2000; I think it's more complex; I am not sure how to do it by myself right now, but I remember about editing a text.uib and something more.

I hope that you can have you stuff working soon.

Edited by Cm_blast

i got the editor test launch working, but it launches in the lowest resolution, also my map doesnt get updated if i save and test it and any map i open and test-launch is my unfinished map, what i did was only copy the _TESTMAP.mis and _TESTMAP.map to the Dune2000 folder. changing paths and deleting the d2k editor's config file didnt fix it.

Also i can play my map in skirmish and everything seems fine, i just need the test launch to update my map.

2 hours ago, zidane2 said:

i got the editor test launch working, but it launches in the lowest resolution, also my map doesnt get updated if i save and test it and any map i open and test-launch is my unfinished map, what i did was only copy the _TESTMAP.mis and _TESTMAP.map to the Dune2000 folder. changing paths and deleting the d2k editor's config file didnt fix it.

Also i can play my map in skirmish and everything seems fine, i just need the test launch to update my map.

When you press the test buttom a file called "testmap" it's created and used instead the current one. That's why you need to move everything, not just that file.

Using the "open map" buttom you can see a file called "testmap" which it's the map from the last time you used the quick-test-launch-with-settings.

This allow you to sometimes doing some changes on your map that you are not sure about, pressing the test buttom (without saving), seeing on the game what happen and, if you like what happens, save the map; if you don't like what happens, then reopen the map to recover the previous state (the last time you press "save").

I know nothing about the configuration; the game should have a dune2000config.exe file where you can choose the resolution your want; at least to me the game always start at the res I need on both the mission launcher or testing directly from the editor.

By the way; If I remember corretly, was suggested to have the editor into the main folder of the game, something like "dune2000\dkeditor" or something like that to make it work propertly; did you try this? (I have it in a separated folder, never tried before).

Edited by Cm_blast

I tried placing the editor folder somewhere  else like in Dune2000 folder,data folder, missions folder, but no luck the editor says cannot find _TESTMAP.mis file when i launch it, but when i copy that file to data folder it finds it, but it doesnt have my recent saved map and it doesnt open other maps in test, only mine, so this is a big problem.

i noticed the real _TestMAP.mis file is in Missions folder, but how can i make the editor search there? it only looks for it in the data folder which messes up my saved maps.

The only thing in the config file i can change is these 3 lines:

[Paths]
GamePath=E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\
GameExecutable=E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\dune2000.exe
TextUIBPath=E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\Data\UI_DATA\TEXT.UIB

the rest isnt important, also i noticed when launching the editor for the first time it has the wrong GameExecutable, its dune2000\dune2000.exe not dune2000/data/dune2000.exe.

I hope you can help me here, i have no other ideas and why was this big mistake left out in the installer...

I have the ini file like this, if this helps.

[Paths]
GamePath=D:\Juegos\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\
GameExecutable=D:\Juegos\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\DUNE2000.EXE
TextUIBPath=D:\Juegos\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA\Text.UIB

Try to remove the "data" from the gamepath to force the editor to read from your main folder and not into the data one.

If this doesn't work and before I told you the next possible step I need to ask: do you have the most recent gruntmods version?
Executing "dune 2000 launch" I have 1.6.2.2, which I downloaded only 6 months ago (so my version it's very recent)
I remember how a previous version that had the maps into "dune 2000\missions" folder but on the most recent version they move it into "dune 2000\data\missions" path, which it's the one the editor try to load.
If you version it's older would worth to download the game again.

If you already have the recent version (or don't want to reinstall the game) you can do this other solution here:

If I am not mistaked (correct me if I am) you have all the maps (both original and your new maps) into the path:
E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\Missions

But the editor it's trying to look into this path.
E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\Missions

If after removing the data from the GamePath the editor still insist on searching on "data\Missions"; you have a solution:

Move the content from the "Dune 2000\missions" Folder into "Dune 2000\data\Missions"; and I mean everything, not just the test_map but everysingle file you find there. With this the editor now will be able to read stuff.

Now, beware; after doing this now the game itself will not find the maps. Executing the game or the mission launcher will be trying to search the files into the folder "dune2000\Missions" but now they are on the "dune2000\data\missions" (because you move them); this can be solved by editing a file in the main dune 2000 folder called "resources.cfg"

Open it with any text editor; notepad, for example, and you should have a line that said "missions\" change it with "data\missions\" and that's it. <-- it's suggested to do a back up of this file before editing it, in case you mess up something.

Ps: My first suggestion would be looking if your gruntmods it's recent or not, and if not just downloading the recent version. That probably would work much better withouth needing all those workarounds.

Edited by Cm_blast

6 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I have the ini file like this, if this helps.

[Paths]
GamePath=D:\Juegos\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\
GameExecutable=D:\Juegos\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\DUNE2000.EXE
TextUIBPath=D:\Juegos\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\UI_DATA\Text.UIB

Try to remove the "data" from the gamepath to force the editor to read from your main folder and not into the data one.

If this doesn't work and before I told you the next possible step I need to ask: do you have the most recent gruntmods version?
Executing "dune 2000 launch" I have 1.6.2.2, which I downloaded only 6 months ago (so my version it's very recent)
I remember how a previous version that had the maps into "dune 2000\missions" folder but on the most recent version they move it into "dune 2000\data\missions" path, which it's the one the editor try to load.
If you version it's older would worth to download the game again.

If you already have the recent version (or don't want to reinstall the game) you can do this other solution here:

If I am not mistaked (correct me if I am) you have all the maps (both original and your new maps) into the path:
E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\Missions

But the editor it's trying to look into this path.
E:\Gruntmods Studios\Dune 2000\data\Missions

If after removing the data from the GamePath the editor still insist on searching on "data\Missions"; you have a solution:

Move the content from the "Dune 2000\missions" Folder into "Dune 2000\data\Missions"; and I mean everything, not just the test_map but everysingle file you find there. With this the editor now will be able to read stuff.

Now, beware; after doing this now the game itself will not find the maps. Executing the game or the mission launcher will be trying to search the files into the folder "dune2000\Missions" but now they are on the "dune2000\data\missions" (because you move them); this can be solved by editing a file in the main dune 2000 folder called "resources.cfg"

Open it with any text editor; notepad, for example, and you should have a line that said "missions\" change it with "data\missions\" and that's it. <-- it's suggested to do a back up of this file before editing it, in case you mess up something.

Ps: My first suggestion would be looking if your gruntmods it's recent or not, and if not just downloading the recent version. That probably would work much better withouth needing all those workarounds.

Exactly that. The program needs the root of the Dune folder, that way it knows how to find both the missions and the maps folders. Check resources.cfg and you'll figure out where to put everything.

I tried to change the paths to look similar to yours, but now when i try to test it says "Invalid filename".

My version is also 1.6.2.2 , i even installed everything on 2 seperate laptops to see if the results are different and it turns out its the same thing.

The maps (original and new ones) are in the Gruntmods studios/Dune2000/data/Missions folder, i am not sure where the editor is looking, but when i copy the TESTMAP.mis file to Dune2000 folder, it looks in the Gruntmods studios/Dune2000 and launches an unsaved map and only that one, selecting other maps to launch it will launch mine again, also my actual map has more objects while it loads up the one i saved quite some time ago.

I didnt try to edit the resources.cfg yet...

from what i've heard, maybe its because i have windows 10?

33 minutes ago, zidane2 said:

I tried to change the paths to look similar to yours, but now when i try to test it says "Invalid filename".

My version is also 1.6.2.2 , i even installed everything on 2 seperate laptops to see if the results are different and it turns out its the same thing.

The maps (original and new ones) are in the Gruntmods studios/Dune2000/data/Missions folder, i am not sure where the editor is looking, but when i copy the TESTMAP.mis file to Dune2000 folder, it looks in the Gruntmods studios/Dune2000 and launches an unsaved map and only that one, selecting other maps to launch it will launch mine again, also my actual map has more objects while it loads up the one i saved quite some time ago.

I didnt try to edit the resources.cfg yet...

from what i've heard, maybe its because i have windows 10?

No, has nothing to do with Windows versions, or at least it shouldn't have. Check resources.cfg for the paths. You could try a quick thing: copy the missions folder from Data/missions into root directory (so you'll have Dune2000/missions) and see if it makes a difference. For example, I have my missions folder in the root directory, not in Data.

Edited by FedaYkin

• zidane2 changed the title to D2K editor problem (Solved)
3 hours ago, zidane2 said:

I copied the missions folder into the root directory Dune2000 and changed the path to it in  the resource.cfg and now it works with all of the settings.

Thanks for the help.

Glad that worked. Hope we see new custom maps soon. Good luck!