[Closed/Finished] Mercenary Campaign - Fall of Emperor

Runtowin

1 hour ago, Fey said:

Ohh, I see. It overwrites the original campaign. :P Thanks for that, Runtowin! I'll explore this.

Because the campaign is very old. The one comes with Gruntsmod Edition is standalone though.

FOE v1.1 is out. Everything is in OP.

4 hours ago, Fey said:

Ohh, I see. It overwrites the original campaign. :P Thanks for that, Runtowin! I'll explore this.

I am not reading previous post (I still need to play the maps here, don't want to overread too much), but Fey, between the mission launcher with plenty of campaigns posted by funky and my post here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27422-updating-and-rearranging-missionscampaigns-from-d2k/
You'll have access to all the campaign available working on the mission launcher (my post are the ones in the d2kplus.com webpage that are not included on the zip file from funky; campaigns from people that no longer are here); so no more overwritting (except the ones that uses Tibed, as the Luminar Fremen).

This is something I did to have quick access to those campaigns without having multiple dune 2000 copies. Also the Luminar's one was broken due a flag calling a wrong number (mission 5 or 6 never ends, so you can't reach mission 7), and there is small fixes like in the Atreides by Akafeda (he gave me permision) fixing some "copy-paste" rifts (looked very bad); just small things (still there are wrong tiles here and there; I just wanted to update things, not editing the author stuff).

Still credits goes to all of them; but here you have a easy access to those early campaigns.

Edited by Cm_blast

26 minutes ago, Fey said:

Ah, thanks man. And hey, you wouldn't happen to have a working tiledata editor around, would you?

No; I only have a few tools from the d2kplus.com just in case I need to edit a text.uib or other small things that the current klof editor didn't cover.

Buy try them, maybe one of them can do it. I barely used any of that, only the text.uib, the map edit and the mission edit (.map file and .mis file).

Edited by Cm_blast

On 19/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, Runtowin said:

My first campaign. Still WIP. But here we go.

I played the first two maps.

Spoiler

First map was really good. A 20 minutes only-defensive type of map I didn't got bored. The first Siege tank was enough to take most of the enemy forces, and with the two extra given later units coming from the north weren't longer a threath.

I got caught off guard with those attacks from behind. I sold silos to maintain the positive energy.

Also, it's hilarious: "Casually help Jim to harvest spice."

By the way; a message appears "Take this MCV." but that unit doesn't appear. After finished the map I give a look to the editor jsut to be sure if there is any MCV or I missed somehow, but don't.

And by the way, you have a few events with "reinforcements = 5 sardaukar" and later another "reinforcements = 5 sardaukar" being dropped in the same tile. You can use the interval for those ocasions too (no need to do it, just saying).

And about second map: I need to replay this one. I found the first one easy/normal. except for getting caught off guard I had grouped plenty of units here and there.
Now, the second map I found really hard. There are enemies everywhere X_X.

Spoiler

"Good, this turret it's down, Ill go this path... nevermind, 2 more turrets and a siege tanks are there....... well, then I'll go this other path, seems more safe and... nevermind, 1 turret, multiple Sardaukar, quad and something more.... it's ok; I'll use my current force to take it out. Great! Now I can move on....... Wait! Another turret, with another siege tank, and several buildings! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

After 33 min of game I give up. I crearly need to restart the map because right now I am so low at units, money and half the Atreides Base destroyed. I'll replay this thing now that I know better where I should start going first instead splitting my attacks on multiple sides.

By the way; I'll warn you right now about the AI. Atreides send all the units into a full force attack against Imperials (so there were noone to patroll their own base). Ai doing this type of "all in" attack it's common; I don't know a way to be sure that the AI doesn't do that (he usually do that after being attacked, he send every single unit available, even the ones guarding buildings). I think Fey was trying something about that; I don't know if he found something.

Also; in the area where the player start there is a wrong tile there; doesnt' affect anything, but I saw it :P.

Sorry if Fey already said something about any I am saying here. There are a lot text to read here.

Edited by Cm_blast

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

By the way; a message appears "Take this MCV." but that unit doesn't appear. After finished the map I give a look to the editor jsut to be sure if there is any MCV or I missed somehow, but don't

Forgot to take it out. You previously got that MCV. Thanks.

By the way; I'll warn you right now about the AI. Atreides send all the units into a full force attack against Imperials (so there were noone to patroll their own base). Ai doing this type of "all in" attack it's common; I don't know a way to be sure that the AI doesn't do that (he usually do that after being attacked, he send every single unit available, even the ones guarding buildings). I think Fey was trying something about that; I don't know if he found something.

I account for this in mission 2. It often took them 50 - 75 minute (in my test) to take out Atreides even if Atreides went all out at some point. Yep, Atreides fights better than you think.

Also; in the area where the player start there is a wrong tile there; doesnt' affect anything, but I saw it :P.

Another one missed. However, I don't use the auto feature anymore in further mission.

"Good, this turret it's down, Ill go this path... nevermind, 2 more turrets and a siege tanks are there....... well, then I'll go this other path, seems more safe and... nevermind, 1 turret, multiple Sardaukar, quad and something more.... it's ok; I'll use my current force to take it out. Great! Now I can move on....... Wait! Another turret, with another siege tank, and several buildings! nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo".

After 33 min of game I give up. I crearly need to restart the map because right now I am so low at units, money and half the Atreides Base destroyed. I'll replay this thing now that I know better where I should start going first instead splitting my attacks on multiple sides.

Oh lol, frontal attack doesn't work well on this mission.

First map was really good. A 20 minutes only-defensive type of map I didn't got bored. The first Siege tank was enough to take most of the enemy forces, and with the two extra given later units coming from the north weren't longer a threath.

Thanks man. Guess you didn't find any bad terrain tile. Good job me.

Edited by Runtowin

6 hours ago, Runtowin said:

Intended effect. The Atreides's base should be half-destroyed when you finish the map. It is essentially a timer

Its a interesting way to present a timer. Not with number, but keeping attention to your ally to look if they are doing good or you need to hurry your attacks.

6 hours ago, Runtowin said:

Should be fast. Do you think it's too long?

Enemy had like a thousand of units around the base. I think I looped the event (doing the destruction) 7 or 8 times before Atreides finally overcome the map. Like I said, I was boring at waiting so I destroyed the north part of the enemy (so I had several units down and loosing a few units trying to take out turrets, missile tanks, siege tanks and etc).

Played mission 3. Well, an impressive idea and a even more impressive use of a custom text.uib. I saw those "assasins", and then after attacking 1 building the message appears and I was "wait wait wait, how he did that?" a few seconds later I started to imagine how you did it, it is something pretty clever, and the map it's actually a very good stealth map where I didn't get lost moving around and nothing unfair; if I loose units were always my own fault.

Spoiler

I killed the guy on his way; didn't reach the building on time.

Congrats for the map, I really like it and got amazed by the concept.

Edited by Cm_blast

Spoiler
12 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Enemy had like a thousand of units around the base. I think I looped the event (doing the destruction) 7 or 8 times before Atreides finally overcome the map. Like I said, I was boring at waiting so I destroyed the north part of the enemy (so I had several units down and loosing a few units trying to take out turrets, missile tanks, siege tanks and etc).

I guess I need to increase the reinforcement.

and the map it's actually a very good stealth map where I didn't get lost moving around and nothing unfair; if I loose units were always my own fault.

The mission was born from the idea of those popular fan maps of RA2: YR. Except they were unfair, and full of ambushes, death crates, etc.

Congrats for the map, I really like it and got amazed by the concept.

This is the highest compliment I can receive. Thanks!

Edited by Runtowin

Mission 4 it's haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard.

Spoiler

Enemies coming everywhere; neverending attacks and everything X_X.

Although I manage to survive until the 1 hour The Atreides start receiven reinforcements, but at this point was pointless. All the enemy togethers were too much for them. Smuggler and myself didn't have the strengh to repel the constants attack. All those Sardaukar, Sonic tanks and Devastators are hard to take down with a bunch of quads and troopers.

I guess I need to planning better the capture of the Heavy Factory (I capture it, but that area was so blocked that I didn't get any use of that, and trying to destroy buildings with the saboteurs it's also hard with all the units moving everywhere), but I don't really know if that would make any difference, just building some extra combat tanks with the low income it's nothing compared with the 4 Devastators and 15 Sardaukar they keep sending at me.

Well, now that I know where the stuff it's I'll try to take the factory more quickly.

For the record I loose the map.

By the way; I don't know if it was intended or not (but you are aware of it). The Spacing guild it's neutral against you but you no are neutral against him. Didn't want to use this trick to take the starport early or something.

Edited by Cm_blast

Spoiler
22 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

By the way; I don't know if it was intended or not (but you are aware of it). The Spacing guild it's neutral against you but you no are neutral against him. Didn't want to use this trick to take the starport early or something.

Hmm, not unintended, but not that early. I'll figure something out in later patch.

24 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

I guess I need to planning better the capture of the Heavy Factory (I capture it, but that area was so blocked that I didn't get any use of that, and trying to destroy buildings with the saboteurs it's also hard with all the units moving everywhere), but I don't really know if that would make any difference, just building some extra combat tanks with the low income it's nothing compared with the 4 Devastators and 15 Sardaukar they keep sending at me.

Hint: Saboteur is absolutely godly at taking out turret, where patrol is often sparse.

Maybe I'll improve the last reinforcement.

On 3/29/2018 at 2:12 PM, Runtowin said:

Hint: Saboteur is absolutely godly at taking out turret, where patrol is often sparse.

Well, everytime I moved a saboteur out of my base, someone moves or keeps going around the rifts, blocking the path or casually crushing my man.

Anyway; Next time I'll try to approach the mission of another way. I figured which part usually has less enemies on it. Maybe once I took that down I can protect myself better; time will tell.

Edit:
I replayed map 4; tried to take out the weakest part of the enemy to have access to the heavy factory and use it as soon as possible to protect for future attacks. I harass the enemy destroying harverster and reducing the turrets and units with minimal looses, but attack them it's so hard with that combination of fast build pace, guarding units, pre-placed units, turrets in the inners of the base and near 10.000 credits stored with a bunch of quads and troopers.

No only that, but...

Spoiler

I give up when I saw this force against me.

It's impossible to fight against that with only quads, troopers and etc; only 15 minutes passed. I am already dead.

I started mission 5. Looooooooong map, 1 hour 15 minutes T_T.

Spoiler

I suggest to reduce the early money of the AI. Withouth knowing where the turrets are I need to go slowly, but then he keeps spamming units; maybe fighting 1 by 1 don't seems hard, but when I am trying to search the turrets and waiting for the troopers to reach the turret agro he already have more units out; so I ignore the turret or I ignore the trike (which attack my infantry); and they have a good amount of turrets around the base, so things need some preparation to not loose tanks or quads for that turret shooting out of unreveleaded map.

You should give them 400 initial credits or even less. They already have multiple harversters and refs and the spice so near that the got money quickly. Even with 1 initial credits they will take not too much time to start assembling some attack force, so the side I attack it's going to give me some time to do my stuff, and since the enemy still will receive money quickly I still need to hurry my plans to defeat the other bases before I got stomped by them.

Good thing you gave some allies to me; destroying all those 15 enemy turrets with multiple copies of factories and spice stored worth of more thatn 20.000 it's painfull.

1:15 in mission 5, I don't know what to expect when you reach mission 25 @_@.

Edited by Cm_blast

Spoiler

21 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

It's impossible to fight against that with only quads, troopers and etc; only 15 minutes passed. I am already dead.

I can actually fight that. However, I wasn't sure whether it was too hard until Fey beat them with ease, so I left it there. I will do something about it.

Moreover, you don't need your north base intact to win. In fact, it's a bit easier if you left it destroyed.

21 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I replayed map 4; tried to take out the weakest part of the enemy to have access to the heavy factory and use it as soon as possible to protect for future attacks. I harass the enemy destroying harverster and reducing the turrets and units with minimal looses, but attack them it's so hard with that combination of fast build pace, guarding units, pre-placed units, turrets in the inners of the base and near 10.000 credits stored with a bunch of quads and troopers.

I suggest try bringing some Missile tank over. I have repair pad for a reason after all. Once you take down 3 turrets on the south (through saboteur), the northeast base is a cakewalk.

22 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I suggest to reduce the early money of the AI. Withouth knowing where the turrets are I need to go slowly, but then he keeps spamming units; maybe fighting 1 by 1 don't seems hard, but when I am trying to search the turrets and waiting for the troopers to reach the turret agro he already have more units out; so I ignore the turret or I ignore the trike (which attack my infantry); and they have a good amount of turrets around the base, so things need some preparation to not loose tanks or quads for that turret shooting out of unreveleaded map.

Which starting location are you talking about? And you can go all in, if you want. You're pretty overpowered for those bases.

If you don't mind, please try all 3 starting locations. Which one is easiest? Which one is hardest?

You should give them 400 initial credits or even less. They already have multiple harversters and refs and the spice so near that the got money quickly. Even with 1 initial credits they will take not too much time to start assembling some attack force, so the side I attack it's going to give me some time to do my stuff, and since the enemy still will receive money quickly I still need to hurry my plans to defeat the other bases before I got stomped by them.

Good idea. I feel 400 is too little though.

Good thing you gave some allies to me; destroying all those 15 enemy turrets with multiple copies of factories and spice stored worth of more thatn 20.000 it's painfull.

Yeah, the reinforcement is reliable enough to destroy enemy base on their owns. You can actually take down top right base in one wave or two, if you coordinate with them correctly.

1:15 in mission 5, I don't know what to expect when you reach mission 25 @_@.

I will try to vary mission type. Base vs base won't be often.

1 hour ago, Runtowin said:
  Hide contents

I can actually fight that. However, I wasn't sure whether it was too hard until Fey beat them with ease, so I left it there. I will do something about it.

Spoiler

Hehe, sorry. :D Imma tough boi!

1 hour ago, Runtowin said:

I will try to vary mission type. Base vs base won't be often.

Hey, there ain't nothing wrong with the original style of gameplay! I love variation, myself, but too much S2V2 or S3B1 is gonna get old too. You could try changing up the set-up, like enemy MCVs fly in and then start building up and stuff. You can custom-tailor an AI to build in whatever order you'd like and use tech level / build rate events to make adjustments, like an AI that builds buildings until the last one in the tech tree, then uses all that stockpiled Spice to pump out units at build rate 1! Eh?

I really liked your FOE02 mission in particular minus the whole Atreides-not-being-able-to-finish-off-the-Imperials thing, and that was base vs base. I'm sure you could figure out lots of ways to spice up and vary that kinda premise, if that's what you want to do. ^^