[Release] Dune 2 Genesis (for Dune 2000)- Final missions maps

Cm_blast

I am here to present a new trio of maps based on the final missions from Dune 2 for the Genesis version. I will explain a little by sections of what you are going to find in these scenarios.

THE GAME:
Overall the genesis game it’s the same as the computer version (except for some changes like the Harvesters being faster, less buildings/upgrades to do, less enemies to fight...); for this reason I didn’t wanted to create 3 full campaigns since it’s going to be very similar to the one I did based on the pc version. The final maps differ for each house so I created those.

MAPS:
The Maps are heavily based on the three original missions, but they aren’t a 1:1 recreation but close to the original.
This means the total absence of rifts and, except for some only-infantry areas, the vehicles can move freely around the entire map.
The position of the buildings and preplaced units are faithful to the original (but more buildings to give a 100% operational base to the AI, like the IX Centre, more windtraps, etc...).
Combat tank and siege tank position in the map or reinforcements have been swapped.

ENEMY:
In the genesis game you only fight the Emperor in the final mission. To compensate the lack of more enemies/palaces they are given several special units like the Death Hand, Ornithopters, Devastators and Sonic Tanks.
Since in Dune 2000 the Emperor doesn’t have anything special (except the Sardaukar) I used Tibed to give him some raw power to match the original game.

CHANGES WITH TIBED:
-Emperor now may build Devastators and Sonic Tanks (depending of the house, those special units may not be present).
-Sardaukar no longer needs the Imperial Palace to be trained, just the barracks.
- An enhanced Death Hand (only Emperor).*
*Instead giving to the Emperor 2 special launch attacks (Death Hand + Airstrike), I maintained his traditional High-tech Factory and slightly reduced the recharge time for the Death Hand to launch it more often than the one the Harkonnen can.

AI BEHAVIOR:
The AI has been designed to build fast and attack in rapid successions (once the player it’s spotted by the enemy reinforcements).
Although the AI builds really fast, they also send his attacks in such short time intervals that he will not have time to create a large attack group.
You can expect the enemy attacking with 1 trike, 1 Quad, 1 Siege tank, 1 Devastator/Sonic tank… plus 2-3 Sardaukar per wave (waves may vary if the player kills enemy units or force the AI to defend).

TIPS:
Like the original game (both of them); the AI it’s not going to launch any attack (or DH) against the player early. Once you see the first enemy reinforcement drop be ready; the AI will attack you after that soon.
The spice it’s limited, but the amount on the map it’s so big that I don’t see any player being near to deplete it. Just be sure to build your refineries near the spice areas.
The room to deploy buildings it’s really big. Separate your buildings to avoid heavy damage due the Death Hands.
Care for enemy reinforcements, they may land behind you.
Harkonnen it’s the most easy of the three (safest mining areas), so if you are not sure start playing this one.
The Ordos version it's the tougher of the three. Deviate enemy devastators and use the self destruct in order to succeed.

SCREENS:
These three screens are going to show to you a comparison of the original maps and my versions.
5a772bbb306b1_GenesisComparative-Dune2000Atreides.thumb.jpg.43a999204ee66ffd42527ac6c2ec4ee7.jpg5a772bbe45458_GenesisComparative-Dune2000Harkonnen.thumb.jpg.a5fd2bfd7a67d6cbda3aca42c435bda2.jpg5a772bc241738_GenesisComparative-Dune2000Ordos.thumb.jpg.4e34d47870b08929531c354e969eefb4.jpg
FILE:
Dune 2 Genesis.rar

HOW TO INSTALL:
Unzip the file and copy every folder into the root of the game.
Any folders included will go to the path that it is suppose to go.
Do not copy any pgn (screenshots) nor the readme.txt (instructions).

Mission launcher 1.2 is required.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 2/4/2018 at 4:53 PM, Cm_blast said:

In the genesis game you only fight the Emperor in the final mission. To compensate the lack of more enemies/palaces they are given several special units like the Death Hand, Ornithopters, Devastators and Sonic Tanks.

Actually, while you may not fight the Emperor alone in Dune II, the same things are true there. I don't think they actually build Devastators and Sonic Tanks, but when you capture one of their factories those construction options are available for them when you own a House of IX, and their Palace indeed shoots the Death Hand.

In fact, the only reason the Deviator isn't included in that list is because Dune II has the bug that any deviated unit changes the target to Ordos instead of the deviating vehicle's House. (I think the recent fan patches actually fix this bug though)

Edited by Nyerguds

On 4/2/2018 at 11:42 PM, Fey said:

That's some awesome attention to detail in the screenshots, Cm! I'll be sure to have a look at this. When I can. :D

Thanks. I did something similar while I created the pc based version. Missions 6 to 9 are very similar to the original (and mission 2), the rest are more random.

4 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Actually, while you may not fight the Emperor alone in Dune II, the same things are true there. I don't think they actually build Devastators and Sonic Tanks, but when you capture one of their factories those construction options are available for them when you own a House of IX, and their Palace indeed shoots the Death Hand.

In fact, the only reason the Deviator isn't included in that list is because Dune II has the bug that any deviated unit changes the target to Ordos instead of the deviating vehicle's House. (I think the recent fan patches actually fix this bug though)

I know the Emperor have access to those units in the pc version. I played a lot using dune legacy's editor, doing stuff but then playing in the actual msdos game. adding a Ix centre to the Emperor and he builds devastators too.

In the genesis game the High-tech factory is the combination of the high-tech (building carryalls) and the Ix centre (access to the special tank), so at least in the genesis version the Emperor indeed builds those units.

In the final mission, as Atreides, Devastators are spamed from his factory. As Ordos he spam both units. With Harkonnen he don't build anything special, only lands some reinforcements with a couple of Sonic tanks occasionally.

Also, I read in some manual (don't remember if official or not) how about the Emperor Death Hand (Genesis) recharge slower than the Harkonnen one.

For this map I did the opposite because this DH it's nothing compared with the original.

Edited by Cm_blast

2 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Well, they're really nice maps. What's with the blocky spice, though? Or is that just an editor thing?

It's the editor, only shows square tiles for "thin" or "thick" spice. Fortunately the game round itself the spice depending of the position and etc.