[Release] Ordos Campaign Alternative Missions

Domaithianus

I've been working on a set of alternative missions for the Original Ordos campaign.  The idea was to create additional options playing through.  I've tried to remain loyal to the original mission concepts.  This isn't meant to be an entirely original or new campaign, just a re-imagining of the original.

- New versions of missions 1 - 9

- 2 new options for all missions from 4 onwards

- Original mission briefings attached: Can be accessed in game from the in-game menu, or read on the briefing page from the mission launcher

- Bonus mission: 'How to Build a Deviator' - set between missions 6 and 7

- Additional folder 'Subs' containing the same missions playable as allied sub-houses.

I'm  also planning remakes of the Harkonnen and Atreides campaigns eventually, but for now, I look forward to hearing what people think of this one.

EDIT: Now updated with version 2.00, AI's will now berserk when their bases are destroyed, small bugs fixed, sub-houses and bonus missions now all included in same zip file.

DOWNLOAD:

OrdosCampaign200.7z

DOWNLOAD SUB-HOUSES ONLY:

Subs.7z

Edited by Domaithianus
Aesthetics
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Domaithianus said:

I've been working on a set of alternative missions for the Original Ordos campaign.  The idea was to create additional options playing through.  I've tried to remain loyal to the original mission concepts.  This isn't meant to be an entirely original or new campaign, just a re-imagining of the original.

Good. I am in the middle of another one, but I'll try this later. The AI are the same as the original versions too?

By the way, mission 4 both versions are the same map.

Got half of 'em played! Normal difficulty. Here's my feedback:

Spoiler

O1V3:
Why block off the worm again? There's something missing on level 1 without the worm. :(

Other than that, nothing much to say. Terrain and Spice layout were fine, enemy unit composition and reinforcements were appropriate.

O2V3:
This was a fun little 1v1. I was moving out as the Harkonnen received their (seemingly) last reinforcements, with the Trikes and Light Infantry, so that was perfect. Initial enemy units were not too hard to defend against, but still made me go "Oh, crap!" and the terrain, once again, looked nice.

Match over in five minutes. :D

O3V3:
Man, I hate not being able to build Harvesters. :( This map didn't go too well for me.

The initial reinforcements were brutal, and while not impossible to fend off, they did stall my progression through the map a tad more than expected. Their numbers could be slightly reduced, or a few other things could happen...
 - The Construction Yard is a tad high up and I had to build a Barracks for extension before I put down my Refinery. I didn't find any Spice in the first few seconds of scouting since I was busy uncovering the rock and never found either entrance to the base.
 - There's a little too much Infantry Rock on the east entrance. I think you should remove the easternmost Infantry Rock and relocate the Spice field so it's closer to the rock. The Bloom could go a little in front of the Infantry Rock, where vehicles won't run into it because the rock filters them out.
 - The enemy's build rate (particularly the emergency build rate) could be slightly reduced, the amount of reinforcements could (and should) be reduced, and perhaps it would help to give the enemy a second Harvester via reinforcements after the combat reinforcements stop coming. If it wasn't the damn worm eating my Harvesters, it was the Harkonnen reinforcements or units running around picking them off before I could respond, since a lot of my forces were whittled down by their persistent attacks.

Oh, yeah, and while I was attacking the enemy base at one point, the enemy got like ten infantry and three light vehicles simultaneously. Another time, they just got light vehicles, and yet another time, they just got infantry. Part of the reinforcements problem, really stunts progression.

Other than the overtuned enemy numbers, the map looks great. The Spice fields are in nice locations, the cliffs and rocks are just right, the worm has enough room to move around so it doesn't stay in one place and get super annoying. There's also plenty of room to move units around.

O4V3:
Oh, how I love being able to build Harvesters. Makes it soooo much easier to get started.

This map progressed very well. The Harkonnen positions were defended adequately and the base entrances were nice and open. Despite the huge number of enemies on this map, they weren't too brutal to defeat or defend against. Walls weren't out of place. Infantry Rock in good spots. Spice in good spots. Terrain looks good and provides adequate space to maneuver. Fun map.

My only suggestion would be to swap the Harkonnen and mercenary bases. The mercenaries are meant to eat casualties, are they not? If the mercenaries and smugglers were together, they may as well fight against the Harkonnen. If the Harkonnen are holding the smugglers hostage and coercing them, the mercenaries are either hired by Harkonnen or unable to assist the smugglers. Or both.

O4V4:
The enemy attacked from sooo many direction here. Good thing you started us out with an Outpost. IMO, keep the infantry only paths on the southeast and northwest sides of the player's base, but discourage vehicles from attacking from anywhere but the center. I think it'd be a good idea to widen the infantry only entrances in the case you do that too (like breaking up the cliffs and filling the gaps with infantry rock).

The need to expand was very evident on this map since blooms were so scarce up north. Could give the player a little more initial spice up there. The island in the center of the map is nice, but there's a small area of unbuildable rock that's just kind of pointless and inconvenient.

O5V2:
The infantry-only path down just north of your starting position has some infantry rock that's clipped at the tile edge. Neat way to do that, by the way, I'm gonna steal that terrain.

After I took the Starport and Heavy Factory, I just built up Refineries, pumped out a few Combat Tanks, and sat tight while the Atreides came at me here and there. I really liked the infantry-only attacks from both the north and the east at the start, there was a nice amount of enemies incoming over the course of the map.

The map could do with, like, one more Engineer to start with. Just in case.

O5V3:
The beginning of this map was considerably more challenging. I destroyed the Harvester on my first try so I could get my infantry past, but then I never received a new one. The Trike and Light Infantry scattered around the enemy base occasionally picked off my Engineers. A few extra Engineers to start with would be great, reinforcement Harvester too, and the infantry rock there is in a fine place.

Aside from the beginning, this map progressed very well. I took the fight to the Starport base, captured it and turtled up. As I was just getting settled, the enemy swept by with a bunch of light vehicles and took out the first small base I captured, then came to attack me. Was that well-timed reinforcement shenanigans or was it the time you told the AI to attack just working out for me?

The Starport base is quite large, and there's less space on the rock than there appears to be. You could condense the buildings a tad and remove some Wind Traps. The Barracks is important and I'd say keep the Heavy Factory too, but you could remove some other things as well.

The enemy AI there evidently doesn't build anything. I haven't looked at the map settings. Considering your placement of Infantry Rock right in front of the enemy base, and the availability of a Barracks, you could have that AI's build rate and emergency build rate set to a nice, slow pace so they have a few defenders at least. If you do, some reinforcements for the player - light vehicles, I'd suggest - at the small base would be nice.

O6V3:
A couple of Raiders or something in the larger main base would be great. I had no idea where to place my Refinery since I had no means to scout with right away. By the time I'd pumped out a couple of Raiders, I only just noticed the huge Spice field north of the base, and I'd placed my Refinery on the southwest side. Turns out a bunch of Harkonnen light vehicles were there and they quickly chewed up and ate my first Harvester.

I can't finish this map right now, but I'll continue when I get the chance.

The campaign thus far is overall excellent. It's very clear you've honed your mapping skills well. Good job. :P

14 hours ago, Domaithianus said:

Some of the AI's are copied straight over, some aren't.

Ok.

Oh, by the way. I think the black area around the map is no longer necessary. The black area was to fix a problem with the high patch resolution (playing with a bigger resolution than the map itself).

This post:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27396-looks-like-reinforcements-locations-are-messed-up-for-atr1-possibly-when-making-hi-res-fix/?tab=comments#comment-392949

The post talk about reinforcements appearing in a wrong place in one of the first maps from the westwood campaign; later Funky said this:

On 6/7/2016 at 9:09 PM, FunkyFr3sh said:

The high res patch needed these modified maps with some additional black space some time ago, the latest version doesn't need them anymore though. Try to get the unmodified versions of the missions somewhere, I don't have them here sadly so I cannot upload them

So the black areas shouldn't be needed anymore.

Edited by Cm_blast

16 hours ago, Fey said:

Got half of 'em played! Normal difficulty. Here's my feedback:

Hide contents

O1V3:
Why block off the worm again? There's something missing on level 1 without the worm. :(

Other than that, nothing much to say. Terrain and Spice layout were fine, enemy unit composition and reinforcements were appropriate.

O2V3:
This was a fun little 1v1. I was moving out as the Harkonnen received their (seemingly) last reinforcements, with the Trikes and Light Infantry, so that was perfect. Initial enemy units were not too hard to defend against, but still made me go "Oh, crap!" and the terrain, once again, looked nice.

Match over in five minutes. :D

O3V3:
Man, I hate not being able to build Harvesters. :( This map didn't go too well for me.

The initial reinforcements were brutal, and while not impossible to fend off, they did stall my progression through the map a tad more than expected. Their numbers could be slightly reduced, or a few other things could happen...
 - The Construction Yard is a tad high up and I had to build a Barracks for extension before I put down my Refinery. I didn't find any Spice in the first few seconds of scouting since I was busy uncovering the rock and never found either entrance to the base.
 - There's a little too much Infantry Rock on the east entrance. I think you should remove the easternmost Infantry Rock and relocate the Spice field so it's closer to the rock. The Bloom could go a little in front of the Infantry Rock, where vehicles won't run into it because the rock filters them out.
 - The enemy's build rate (particularly the emergency build rate) could be slightly reduced, the amount of reinforcements could (and should) be reduced, and perhaps it would help to give the enemy a second Harvester via reinforcements after the combat reinforcements stop coming. If it wasn't the damn worm eating my Harvesters, it was the Harkonnen reinforcements or units running around picking them off before I could respond, since a lot of my forces were whittled down by their persistent attacks.

Oh, yeah, and while I was attacking the enemy base at one point, the enemy got like ten infantry and three light vehicles simultaneously. Another time, they just got light vehicles, and yet another time, they just got infantry. Part of the reinforcements problem, really stunts progression.

Other than the overtuned enemy numbers, the map looks great. The Spice fields are in nice locations, the cliffs and rocks are just right, the worm has enough room to move around so it doesn't stay in one place and get super annoying. There's also plenty of room to move units around.

O4V3:
Oh, how I love being able to build Harvesters. Makes it soooo much easier to get started.

This map progressed very well. The Harkonnen positions were defended adequately and the base entrances were nice and open. Despite the huge number of enemies on this map, they weren't too brutal to defeat or defend against. Walls weren't out of place. Infantry Rock in good spots. Spice in good spots. Terrain looks good and provides adequate space to maneuver. Fun map.

My only suggestion would be to swap the Harkonnen and mercenary bases. The mercenaries are meant to eat casualties, are they not? If the mercenaries and smugglers were together, they may as well fight against the Harkonnen. If the Harkonnen are holding the smugglers hostage and coercing them, the mercenaries are either hired by Harkonnen or unable to assist the smugglers. Or both.

O4V4:
The enemy attacked from sooo many direction here. Good thing you started us out with an Outpost. IMO, keep the infantry only paths on the southeast and northwest sides of the player's base, but discourage vehicles from attacking from anywhere but the center. I think it'd be a good idea to widen the infantry only entrances in the case you do that too (like breaking up the cliffs and filling the gaps with infantry rock).

The need to expand was very evident on this map since blooms were so scarce up north. Could give the player a little more initial spice up there. The island in the center of the map is nice, but there's a small area of unbuildable rock that's just kind of pointless and inconvenient.

O5V2:
The infantry-only path down just north of your starting position has some infantry rock that's clipped at the tile edge. Neat way to do that, by the way, I'm gonna steal that terrain.

After I took the Starport and Heavy Factory, I just built up Refineries, pumped out a few Combat Tanks, and sat tight while the Atreides came at me here and there. I really liked the infantry-only attacks from both the north and the east at the start, there was a nice amount of enemies incoming over the course of the map.

The map could do with, like, one more Engineer to start with. Just in case.

O5V3:
The beginning of this map was considerably more challenging. I destroyed the Harvester on my first try so I could get my infantry past, but then I never received a new one. The Trike and Light Infantry scattered around the enemy base occasionally picked off my Engineers. A few extra Engineers to start with would be great, reinforcement Harvester too, and the infantry rock there is in a fine place.

Aside from the beginning, this map progressed very well. I took the fight to the Starport base, captured it and turtled up. As I was just getting settled, the enemy swept by with a bunch of light vehicles and took out the first small base I captured, then came to attack me. Was that well-timed reinforcement shenanigans or was it the time you told the AI to attack just working out for me?

The Starport base is quite large, and there's less space on the rock than there appears to be. You could condense the buildings a tad and remove some Wind Traps. The Barracks is important and I'd say keep the Heavy Factory too, but you could remove some other things as well.

The enemy AI there evidently doesn't build anything. I haven't looked at the map settings. Considering your placement of Infantry Rock right in front of the enemy base, and the availability of a Barracks, you could have that AI's build rate and emergency build rate set to a nice, slow pace so they have a few defenders at least. If you do, some reinforcements for the player - light vehicles, I'd suggest - at the small base would be nice.

O6V3:
A couple of Raiders or something in the larger main base would be great. I had no idea where to place my Refinery since I had no means to scout with right away. By the time I'd pumped out a couple of Raiders, I only just noticed the huge Spice field north of the base, and I'd placed my Refinery on the southwest side. Turns out a bunch of Harkonnen light vehicles were there and they quickly chewed up and ate my first Harvester.

I can't finish this map right now, but I'll continue when I get the chance.

The campaign thus far is overall excellent. It's very clear you've honed your mapping skills well. Good job. :P

This may just be the best review I've seen you give Fey.  Thanks for taking the time write all this up.

Spoiler

O1V3
With the worm I was kinda thinking as a tutorial mission, it can be kinda harsh on such a small map.  I also tend to find these first missions can get a bit tedious, and dodging a worm just adds to it.  Then again, there is something to be said for showing the player what a worm can do, so maybe I should unleash it.  I had it on the map so that the player can get a look at one without it being a problem.
What did you think of having the MCV and a message explaining deployment, rather than starting with a con yard?

O2V3

Simple premise, simple mission.  Most of the work went into terrain.  Glad you liked it.

O3V3

The missions was meant to hit surprisingly hard, as I found the original did the same.  Used %timers for the reinforcements, again, copied from the original, but I can see how they'd get frustrating with no way of stopping them.  May need to work in a stop trigger.

I had thought about putting some walls by the entrances to expand the players initial build range, like I do with some other missions.  I decided against it because of it being the first mission the player can build their own walls, but perhaps I should include them...

O4V3

Yeah, I was particularly pleased with this one.  When I put the Mercs in, I was going by the Smugglers willingly selling the info to the Harkonnen, so the Mercs were more extra muscle hired so the Harkonnen don't screw them over.  Still, them being the first line of defence kinda makes sense...

O4V4

Blocking the North to vehicles is a very good idea.  It does get a bit much for that early in the campaign.  Especially it being pre-turrets.  The unbuildable rock was meant to provide terrain variation, but yeah, it probably is more trouble than it's worth.

O5V2

The more loyal to the original of the two.  Glad you like the infantry path.  I do find the one tile passage can really screw up pathing sometimes.  The exact number of engineers is pretty unforgiving, but no more so than the original.  If need be you can leave the HF until you've got a barracks.  I've always found spares annoying afterwards, but that's just my OCD.  I probably shouldn't make the player pay for that, so maybe I should think about it...

O6V3

I was a little torn between the challenge of having to get the balance of pre-refinery units right for the first attack as well as loyalty to the original mission, and letting the player explore their base straight away.  I think i will put a couple of raiders in there when I update though.
What did you think of my including the Smuggler base in this mission?

Thanks for the review.  Looking forward to seeing what you think of the rest.

3 hours ago, Domaithianus said:

This may just be the best review I've seen you give Fey.  Thanks for taking the time write all this up.

Thanks for the review.  Looking forward to seeing what you think of the rest.

Thanks. :D You mean 'best' as in 'most helpful' or 'least critical'? lol

3 hours ago, Domaithianus said:

Hide contents

O1V3
With the worm I was kinda thinking as a tutorial mission, it can be kinda harsh on such a small map.  I also tend to find these first missions can get a bit tedious, and dodging a worm just adds to it.  Then again, there is something to be said for showing the player what a worm can do, so maybe I should unleash it.  I had it on the map so that the player can get a look at one without it being a problem.
What did you think of having the MCV and a message explaining deployment, rather than starting with a con yard?

O2V3

Simple premise, simple mission.  Most of the work went into terrain.  Glad you liked it.

O3V3

The missions was meant to hit surprisingly hard, as I found the original did the same.  Used %timers for the reinforcements, again, copied from the original, but I can see how they'd get frustrating with no way of stopping them.  May need to work in a stop trigger.

I had thought about putting some walls by the entrances to expand the players initial build range, like I do with some other missions.  I decided against it because of it being the first mission the player can build their own walls, but perhaps I should include them...

O4V3

Yeah, I was particularly pleased with this one.  When I put the Mercs in, I was going by the Smugglers willingly selling the info to the Harkonnen, so the Mercs were more extra muscle hired so the Harkonnen don't screw them over.  Still, them being the first line of defence kinda makes sense...

O4V4

Blocking the North to vehicles is a very good idea.  It does get a bit much for that early in the campaign.  Especially it being pre-turrets.  The unbuildable rock was meant to provide terrain variation, but yeah, it probably is more trouble than it's worth.

O5V2

The more loyal to the original of the two.  Glad you like the infantry path.  I do find the one tile passage can really screw up pathing sometimes.  The exact number of engineers is pretty unforgiving, but no more so than the original.  If need be you can leave the HF until you've got a barracks.  I've always found spares annoying afterwards, but that's just my OCD.  I probably shouldn't make the player pay for that, so maybe I should think about it...

O6V3

I was a little torn between the challenge of having to get the balance of pre-refinery units right for the first attack as well as loyalty to the original mission, and letting the player explore their base straight away.  I think i will put a couple of raiders in there when I update though.
What did you think of my including the Smuggler base in this mission?

Here's my reply. I think it's worth noting that I recognized the loyalty to the original campaign by memory only. I don't remember if there were any specific things occurring right away, or for instance if the original only gave just enough engineers. If that is the case, then simply ignore my suggestion about those... although I would probably have the same criticism for the original campaign :P

Spoiler

O1V3:
True about the worm, although you can put its spawn on the rock, as Cm said, to prevent it from spawning entirely. That way you don't need to arrange the terrain in such a matter.

On the first maps in my smuggler campaign, for comparison, the first version of the map is a raid on Imperial forces. The worm is prooobably not going to eat your tanks or something, but there is a warning about it in the briefing. The second version of level 1 is indeed a tutorial, but it's not exactly super-simple level 1 material either. You're instructed to build a few specific sorts of structures, and then there's a twist that puts you in a combat situation. In addition, the map is quite large compared to the original level 1 maps. The worm has lots of room to move around and, due to the way I build the map, it tends to stay out of your way the whole time.

I liked being able to deploy my own ConYard, although the initial ConYard and a bunch of Trikes and Light Infantry scattered around made the first glance a bit more imposing.

O3V3:
The original didn't hit quite that hard!

Oh no no no. No need to put walls anywhere! If you move that ConYard down to the middle of the rock, near the Infantry Rock you placed... that'd be perfect!

O4V3:
I suppose if you were to add context to the briefing or map somehow, that'd make that more clear. I was just kinda boggled by seeing mercenaries so near the smugglers, and yet they're working with the Harkonnen.

O4V4:
I hardly ever use turrets, personally. Certain maps are exceptions, it really depends on what I'm up against, and where. S9V2, in front of the mercenary expansion comes to mind. This would have been a good map for turrets, so changing the terrain a tad will indubitably help to lessen that impossible compulsion.

You can press... I think the hotkey was ctrl + M, to see which terrain you can build on or not. I use that unbuildable terrain in S2V2 due to the nature of the level. You can explore the map to see what I'm talking about, if you can find the small rock island.

O5V2:
I stole the terrain. It's on S2V1 now. :D Hahahaha! About the one-tile pathing, you could scatter your infantry with X before sending them up or down the path. That works nicely for me, but it's still a hassle, which is why I prefer to add more to it. The way you did that looks good. I've played around with it before but I don't remember getting it to look quite so good.

My engineers survived just fine on this level, first try, but just in case. Can't hurt, right?

O5V3:
No comments? :o

O6V3:
I don't remember having so much difficulty right away on the original versions, but if that's the case, I suppose it's fine. Would love some scouts in a convenient location early on, though!

Seeing the smugglers there was a pleasant surprise. I don't have anything more I can say at this juncture, since I only started this map. :)

Speaking of smugglers, still eagerly awaiting feedback on the smugglers campaign :O Not to be a bother about it or anything, I'm just excited! lol

Hope that helps. :D

Edited by Fey

9 hours ago, Fey said:

Thanks. :D You mean 'best' as in 'most helpful' or 'least critical'? lol

Here's my reply. I think it's worth noting that I recognized the loyalty to the original campaign by memory only. I don't remember if there were any specific things occurring right away, or for instance if the original only gave just enough engineers. If that is the case, then simply ignore my suggestion about those... although I would probably have the same criticism for the original campaign :P

Reveal hidden contents

O1V3:
True about the worm, although you can put its spawn on the rock, as Cm said, to prevent it from spawning entirely. That way you don't need to arrange the terrain in such a matter.

On the first maps in my smuggler campaign, for comparison, the first version of the map is a raid on Imperial forces. The worm is prooobably not going to eat your tanks or something, but there is a warning about it in the briefing. The second version of level 1 is indeed a tutorial, but it's not exactly super-simple level 1 material either. You're instructed to build a few specific sorts of structures, and then there's a twist that puts you in a combat situation. In addition, the map is quite large compared to the original level 1 maps. The worm has lots of room to move around and, due to the way I build the map, it tends to stay out of your way the whole time.

I liked being able to deploy my own ConYard, although the initial ConYard and a bunch of Trikes and Light Infantry scattered around made the first glance a bit more imposing.

O3V3:
The original didn't hit quite that hard!

Oh no no no. No need to put walls anywhere! If you move that ConYard down to the middle of the rock, near the Infantry Rock you placed... that'd be perfect!

O4V3:
I suppose if you were to add context to the briefing or map somehow, that'd make that more clear. I was just kinda boggled by seeing mercenaries so near the smugglers, and yet they're working with the Harkonnen.

O4V4:
I hardly ever use turrets, personally. Certain maps are exceptions, it really depends on what I'm up against, and where. S9V2, in front of the mercenary expansion comes to mind. This would have been a good map for turrets, so changing the terrain a tad will indubitably help to lessen that impossible compulsion.

You can press... I think the hotkey was ctrl + M, to see which terrain you can build on or not. I use that unbuildable terrain in S2V2 due to the nature of the level. You can explore the map to see what I'm talking about, if you can find the small rock island.

O5V2:
I stole the terrain. It's on S2V1 now. :D Hahahaha! About the one-tile pathing, you could scatter your infantry with X before sending them up or down the path. That works nicely for me, but it's still a hassle, which is why I prefer to add more to it. The way you did that looks good. I've played around with it before but I don't remember getting it to look quite so good.

My engineers survived just fine on this level, first try, but just in case. Can't hurt, right?

O5V3:
No comments? :o

O6V3:
I don't remember having so much difficulty right away on the original versions, but if that's the case, I suppose it's fine. Would love some scouts in a convenient location early on, though!

Seeing the smugglers there was a pleasant surprise. I don't have anything more I can say at this juncture, since I only started this map. :)

Speaking of smugglers, still eagerly awaiting feedback on the smugglers campaign :O Not to be a bother about it or anything, I'm just excited! lol

Hope that helps. :D

:- P 'Best' as in 'most positive'.

Spoiler

O5V3

Not quite sure why I missed that out.  Brain glitch, sorry 'bout that.
There's is the standard harvester replacement, but you have to already have a harvester for the flag to get set correctly.  I've put in another harvester reinforcement that only happens if you don't capture the AI one now.
Those attacks would have been first AI attacks.  I actually didn't include any reinforcements in this one for the AI on this one, as the bases were quite sufficient.
I had thought about putting less in the Starport base, but the aesthetic ended up looking so nice I kept it.
Possibly some unit production from the starport base would be a good thing, but I'd have to be careful not to overpower that.

O3V3

True, it wasn't quite that heavy.

As far as loyalty to the originals go, these missions are meant to enhance what I liked about them, and downplay what I didn't, so criticism still very much stands.  It would defeat the point of making these if I carried all the original flaws over.  As you may or may not have noticed, some are more loyal to the originals than others.  For a lot of them I've got the V3 more loyal, and the V4 taking a bit more artistic licence.

1 hour ago, Domaithianus said:

As far as loyalty to the originals go, these missions are meant to enhance what I liked about them, and downplay what I didn't, so criticism still very much stands.  It would defeat the point of making these if I carried all the original flaws over.  As you may or may not have noticed, some are more loyal to the originals than others.  For a lot of them I've got the V3 more loyal, and the V4 taking a bit more artistic licence.

Ah, I didn't realize the pattern. Neat!

On 9/7/2017 at 1:39 PM, Cm_blast said:

Ok.

Oh, by the way. I think the black area around the map is no longer necessary. The black area was to fix a problem with the high patch resolution (playing with a bigger resolution than the map itself).

This post:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27396-looks-like-reinforcements-locations-are-messed-up-for-atr1-possibly-when-making-hi-res-fix/?tab=comments#comment-392949

The post talk about reinforcements appearing in a wrong place in one of the first maps from the westwood campaign; later Funky said this:

So the black areas shouldn't be needed anymore.

Ahh, I actually wasn't sure what the black was for, but when I looked at the map, I figured there was a reason, so I copied.  That explains it.  At least done this way, if someone does have an older version or something, it'll still work OK.

1 hour ago, Domaithianus said:

@WolfHound As requested, here are the missions playable as sub houses.  Smugglers for mission 6, and Mercs for missions 7, 8, and 9.

Subs.7z

What kind of maps are? the new maps but playing as a subhouse or the original westwood maps playing as subhouse? (I don't have 7zip installed right now, so I can not look at it).

Edited by Cm_blast

9 hours ago, Domaithianus said:

@WolfHound As requested, here are the missions playable as sub houses.  Smugglers for mission 6, and Mercs for missions 7, 8, and 9.

Subs.7z

Hey dude. 

Tried to use the smugglers However i think there still on auto play as literally when the game starts they take control :)

Just thought I'd let ya know. The merc are awesome 

Jasper 

34 minutes ago, WolfHound said:

Hey dude. 

Tried to use the smugglers However i think there still on auto play as literally when the game starts they take control :)

Jasper 

RIP, AI active

I gotchu, fam. Here:
Subs.zip

It was just either version of level 6, right? It's an easy fix, there's a parameter at the top of the AI settings that's just a 1 or 0. AI enabled.

Speaking of smugglers, don't forget to check out my Smugglers campaign! :D Here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27508-release-smugglers-campaign/

1 minute ago, Fey said:

RIP, AI active

I gotchu, fam. Here:
Subs.zip

It was just either version of level 6, right? It's an easy fix, there's a parameter at the top of the AI settings that's just a 1 or 0. AI enabled.

Speaking of smugglers, don't forget to check out my Smugglers campaign! :D Here:
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27508-release-smugglers-campaign/

Cheers buddy! :)

Jasper

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WolfHound said:

Hey dude. 

Jasper 

Whoops, I checked all the others, and then tacked on the Smuggles ones as an afterthought.  That'll teach me to get lazy :- P
@Fey Thanks for fixing that.  As for your Smuggles campaign, I'm playing through it.  Taking my time though, wanna get the most out of it, and actually have something useful to say about it at the end.

25 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

Whoops, I checked all the others, and then tacked on the Smuggles ones as an afterthought.  That'll teach me to get lazy :- P
@Fey Thanks for fixing that.  As for your Smuggles campaign, I'm playing through it.  Taking my time though, wanna get the most out of it, and actually have something useful to say about it at the end.

I was just advertising to WolfHound :D Take your time! But hey, I broke my own reviews up in half a couple of times. You can give partial reviews as well :P

Sorry to hijack your thread for a sec btw :) I am very eager to share and witness. lol

5 hours ago, WolfHound said:

Hey dude. 

Jasper 

I've also realised I left a few structures in control of a separate AI for SOV4, so here's fix for that.

Subs.7z

Edited by Domaithianus

36 minutes ago, Fey said:

I was just advertising to WolfHound :D Take your time! But hey, I broke my own reviews up in half a couple of times. You can give partial reviews as well :P

Sorry to hijack your thread for a sec btw :) I am very eager to share and witness. lol

Place your campaign in you signature with a link to your post or something like that.

Now, another thing. I am playing this new approach-type-campaign. So far It's good. I beat the first three level, and this third one was hard. I didn't even now where the enemies were approaching. sometimes from left, from right, from the stairs (I think).

The only thing it's missing and you need to include it's the bersek thing. In mission 2 I took all the buildings and destroyed the harverster, but there were a few of infantry on another place, so make them bersek so they suicide to the players it's best that searching for a small sprite in a map (more an infantry which could be in almost anyplace).

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Now, another thing. I am playing this new approach-type-campaign. So far It's good. I beat the first three level, and this third one was hard. I didn't even now where the enemies were approaching. sometimes from left, from right, from the stairs (I think).

Glad you're enjoying it.  I'll probably tone O3V3 down a little for the next update.  Was meant to be surprisingly hard-hitting for a mission 3, but I may have gone overboard

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

The only thing it's missing and you need to include it's the bersek thing. In mission 2 I took all the buildings and destroyed the harverster, but there were a few of infantry on another place, so make them bersek so they suicide to the players it's best that searching for a small sprite in a map (more an infantry which could be in almost anyplace).

That's a good point, I'll get that in the next update too.

Thanks for playing and reviewing Blast.  Always nice to get feedback.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:23 PM, Domaithianus said:

I'll probably tone O3V3 down a little for the next update.  Was meant to be surprisingly hard-hitting for a mission 3, but I may have gone overboard

It's true that I have like 10-15 vehicles and 15-20 soldiers next to the entrances, and then I move to the enemy and at the same time a group of 10 enemy infantry/troopers went through the stairs and destroyed the ref I had in the right side because I have a big group already at the enemy base; A bit of bad luck/timing there from my part; but yeah, probably tuning a bit the enemy reinforcements because enemies dropped goes against the closest enemies, which were the harversters, and since there are three main entrances to look about enemy attacks (left side, right side and some stairs in the middle my units were at the wrong side when the firsts attacks come.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:23 PM, Domaithianus said:

Thanks for playing and reviewing Blast.  Always nice to get feedback.

Your welcome.

I am already thinking of your versions of the maps with an ally. I didn't look at them, but I am curious. Let's see what surprises awaits with those mercs.

Edit:
Played missions 4 and 5. They are good.
But maybe you didn't know that the in mission 5 the mercenary side train a eengineer. the AI don't send him to capture anything, but he it is.

I think the AI, if don't have any unit around the first unit he'll build it's the eengineer, even if you have his priority to 0. A small unit spawn of maybe just placing 2 infantry in a position avoid that.

New edit:
Played missions 6 and 7:
Now it is hard. I had lots of trouble because I through the enemies will attack the starport sooner or later, but that didn't happen until the very end. But of course, I didn't know that and didn't wanted to move those initial units to avoid loosing the building.

I barely survive, but thanks to a couple of turrets I could protect myself from the light vehicles waves, and then using the few tanks I have to fight other units.

Good thing the Harkonnen attacks are bad, so after the time was reached I had no trouble to win, even without a too big force.

Mission 7 was really hard. They are coming for multiple areas and I was loosing harverster but I didn't even know when. I was "wait, I had 2 harverster there, where is the other?" and 2 minutes later "come on! I loose both?"

They were using a strong attacks or something. Not "harverster under attack" or sandworm attack voice line, so there were killing the harverster real fast between my "training" "unit ready".

The only reason I manage to survive was because a group of imperials were attacking my harverster at the left zone of the closest mine field. I retreated the harverster into my ally base; they protect it and start to march against other closest enemies, so they fought other units coming my way and even protect the harversters I had in the right zone.

Ps: The Atreides are trolls. They send the airstrike 3 squares up of my small groups of units, destroying sardaukar for me, that was hilarious xD.

Edited by Cm_blast