Me- Domaithianus, an introduction, and another fan made campaign

Domaithianus

Hello,
Dune2000 has always been one of my favourite games.  Though objectively, I recognise that it's far from the best game I've ever played, I've always been irrationally fond of it - most likely a combination of when I first played it, the setting, and the aesthetic of the game.  That being said I'm very new to this forum.
I've always had a bit of obsession with the Mercenaries (looks like I'm not alone in that), so naturally, I had to create my own take on a Mercenary campaign.  It's my first foray into any kind of game design, and I'm quite pleased with the results.  I hope to do more fancy stuff eventually - stranger missions, interesting objectives - as I gain experience.  That being said, I've still worked hard to keep things interesting in this one.  Plenty of straight up base building missions, but also a bit of original C&C inspired use the units you have missions in there too.
It's currently a 9 mission campaign of moderate difficulty - intended for experienced players, but I'm working on a few option B versions for some of the missions too.
I tried to follow the original story-line for the most part, but with a twist ending. The events are mostly happening in the background of the war, as lesser factions respond to events much bigger than themselves.
Mostly I was wondering if there would be significant interest in playing my own little contribution here, or whether there are already enough Mercenary campaigns floating around as it is.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:22 AM, Domaithianus said:

Mostly I was wondering if there would be significant interest in playing my own little contribution here, or whether there are already enough Mercenary campaigns floating around as it is.

PUT THE GODDAMN LINK IN YOUR POST SO I CAN PLAY IT ALREADY.

...Hi. Yes. More is better. Thanks.

Hello,
Dune2000 has always been one of my favourite games.  Though objectively, I recognise that it's far from the best game I've ever played, I've always been irrationally fond of it - most likely a combination of when I first played it, the setting, and the aesthetic of the game.  That being said I'm very new to this forum.

Well, it is based on Frank Herbert's Dune. Great source material to draw from, for sure! Welcome to the D2k forums.

I've always had a bit of obsession with the Mercenaries (looks like I'm not alone in that), so naturally, I had to create my own take on a Mercenary campaign.  It's my first foray into any kind of game design, and I'm quite pleased with the results.  I hope to do more fancy stuff eventually - stranger missions, interesting objectives - as I gain experience.  That being said, I've still worked hard to keep things interesting in this one.  Plenty of straight up base building missions, but also a bit of original C&C inspired use the units you have missions in there too.

Your first? Well, hell. That's pretty intriguing. I look forward to reviewing what you got. :) Yeah, the mercenaries are a cool side faction and they've been portrayed in various ways. I wonder how you've decided to portray them in their campaign.

Don't spoil it. I wanna see!

It's currently a 9 mission campaign of moderate difficulty - intended for experienced players, but I'm working on a few option B versions for some of the missions too.

Missions 1, 2, 3, 6, and 9 in the original campaign had multiple versions. If you want to keep it like the original, those are the maps to split off from.

I tried to follow the original story-line for the most part, but with a twist ending. The events are mostly happening in the background of the war, as lesser factions respond to events much bigger than themselves.

That's also interesting. I had a similar approach with my smugglers campaign. To spruce it up, the character you play as, the canon commander, is an ex-mercenary. From the release thread:

THREAD: https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27508-release-smugglers-campaign/
The smugglers campaign follows the story of Rowe Summers, an ex-mercenary commander whose extensive military experience baffles friend and foe alike as she turns the rag-tag smuggler militia into a contender for the ultimate prize: Arrakis.

The smugglers may be a lesser faction, as you phrased it, but thanks to Summers' background, they're able to adapt to events much bigger than themselves.

Anyway, yeah, hit me up, fam. Gimme that link. I wanna play your thing.

Edited by Fey

On 17/7/2017 at 4:22 PM, Domaithianus said:

Hello,

In my personal case I fell in love as soon as I met Dune 2. My brother brought to home a new game and started to play it. It was my turn to go to school, but I remember thinking about that game and how much I wanted to play it. A strategy game using real time? That's was awesome!

That game made me watch the David Lynch movie, playing other dune games and, finally, reading the book.

Don't fell bad because they are already some mercenary campaigns. Everyone has their own vision or ideas for a faction. One can make the Mercenary a weak faction that barely can beat anyone while other can make the Mercenary a very strong faction that it seems that no one can stop them now.

Neither of the two versions is incorrect. Anyone has his own ideas for a story, for missions, maps, alliances, etc...

Just upload your campaign when/if it's ready or if you want just to show your progress.

Edited by Cm_blast

8 hours ago, Fey said:

PUT THE GODDAMN LINK IN YOUR POST SO I CAN PLAY IT ALREADY.

Haha, I can do that.

8 hours ago, Fey said:

Missions 1, 2, 3, 6, and 9 in the original campaign had multiple versions. If you want to keep it like the original, those are the maps to split off from.

I was thinking of doing that originally, but storylinewise, I think I'm going to have to split from different missions

3 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

In my personal case I fell in love as soon as I met Dune 2. My brother brought to home a new game and started to play it. It was my turn to go to school, but I remember thinking about that game and how much I wanted to play it. A strategy game using real time? That's was awesome!

That game made me watch the David Lynch movie, playing other dune games and, finally, reading the book.

Very similar story with me.  My brother got hold of Dune2 after we'd been playing a promotional demo of C&C.  It was exciting, 'cause this was a complete RTS this time.  The aesthetic just stuck with me, and my head practically exploded when Dune2000 came out.
After that I read the book (though I was way too young for it at the time), and re-read it a few years later.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I'm looking forward to playing the other fan made campaigns and missions - mostly just a question of where to start :- P

_MS1.MIS

_MS2.MIS

_MS3.MIS

_MS4.MIS

_MS5.MIS

_MS6.MIS

_MS7.MIS

_MS8.MIS

_MS9.MIS

_MS9B.MIS

MS1.ini

MS1.map

MS2.ini

MS2.map

MS3.ini

MS3.map

MS4.ini

MS4.map

MS5.ini

MS5.map

MS6.ini

MS6.map

MS7.ini

MS7.map

MS8.ini

MS8.map

MS9.ini

MS9.map

MS9B.ini

MS9B.map

56 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

stuff

Man, you had to put all the links separate? :( Use 7-zip! Zip that thing up to make it easier :P

Here: http://www.7-zip.org/

I'm still gonna download what you've got, but for future reference. :)

As for where you should start... my smugglers campaign is obviously something I would recommend, and if you want to offer feedback on anything you think I should keep in mind for future reference, it would help me out with my projects later. I've also got a thread for a new campaign with four Harkonnen maps up so far - H1V1, H1V2, H2V1, and H2V2. Those are WIP maps and I definitely need feedback on those.

Otherwise, since you've read the book, I'd also recommend Cm's Frank Herbert campaign. It's based on the story.

If you make a thread for your campaign so far, please link it here and quote me so I know where to leave my own feedback. :D

1 minute ago, Jasper1993 said:

it just keeps coming up with opening the google store 

Oh. I dunno then, it all worked for me. I got the first mission, booted it up, and immediately demolished the Ordos base. Then a transmission was like, "Capture the base!" and I was like ":D..."

2 minutes ago, Fey said:

Oh. I dunno then, it all worked for me. I got the first mission, booted it up, and immediately demolished the Ordos base. Then a transmission was like, "Capture the base!" and I was like ":D..."

could someone put it in a zip file for me pleaseeee. i can open them on my laptop :)

I've also got an Atreides Covert Ops campaign that's mostly in the conceptual stages.  Very much minimal base building, careful navigating of much more powerful enemy bases with small strike forces.  It'll be a while before that one's ready, but if anyone's interested in a taster...

ACo1.zip

3 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

Cracked me up by the way.

<3 My recommendation is to make the Ordos base more fortified, then reinforce some units capable of destroying the defenses when the time comes. :) I can give better feedback when I actually have some time to finish the map. lol

3 hours ago, Domaithianus said:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I'm looking forward to playing the other fan made campaigns and missions - mostly just a question of where to start :- P

Depending on your preferences:

My suggestion, just for someone which barely started, I recommend to pick up the mission and campaigns from this other post.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27422-updating-and-rearranging-missionscampaigns-from-d2k/

All those campaigns and missions were done by multiple people. Back in time you needed to overwrite original files, but since now we have the mission launcher, I decided to turn all of them available to work with that launcher.
Most of them are pretty simple in terms of maps and missions, but if there is a faction you want to play with, then start with that.

If you want lots of story/backstory, character developemnt, and a campaign which change the price, strength, speed, etc... of the units, then choose the Fei's Smuggler campaign.
He used another tool to do it, but keep in mind that applying the files provided by him this will affect other mods.
This means that after you finishing playing this campaign you need to recover the original, or else your own campaign will change, the original game will change, and even other custom campaign could become unbeatable.
If you are scared or just you like the original rules and don't want changes, let this campaign for later.

If you want something in the middle of the two options, you have a couple of campaigns done by Akafeda. Not so simple, but not too overcomplicated.
The mercenary and the Ixian.

By the same autor, if you want a bit of a step up (less simple, more story, and sometimes what you do in X mission from the ATreides campaign is mentioned later in the Ordos one), play the "war of assasins", done by the same autor.
I think those are included with the mission launcher.

And finally, if I talk about my own campaigns. Mine will have too little story, similar to the briefing for the original dune 2000.
So the "easy" group are:
* A new house (my first campaign ever made).
The Rebellion of Atreides (First single mission ever made).
* Emperor's Return (this require to overwrite 1 original file so I could make the player training Sardaukar without the Imperia Palace).
* Mercenaries Choose Your Ally (single mission which depending of the side you choose, you recieve more initial money, more reinforcements, etc... but the map itself is simple).

At least this small group. All can be downloaded from the d2kplus.com; but in case you go there searching for mods/campaign, not all of them are prepared to work with the mission launcher (mine at least are ready for that).

All it's about preferences, but my suggestions are definitely the group in the link posted early and the four selection of mines. those are, overall, the most simples to play and learn.

Ps: I will play your campaign later.

Edited by Cm_blast

1 minute ago, Fey said:

<3 My recommendation is to make the Ordos base more fortified, then reinforce some units capable of destroying the defenses when the time comes. :)

May be an idea.  My main concern is I don't wanna make this one too hard, as it's meant to be something of a warm-up mission.  Though stronger reinforcements could compensate for that anyway.

Just now, Domaithianus said:

May be an idea.  My main concern is I don't wanna make this one too hard, as it's meant to be something of a warm-up mission.  Though stronger reinforcements could compensate for that anyway.

Yeah. On H2V2 in my WIP thread, the player gets a few Missile Tanks. You don't get TOO many!

S2V1 has a Starport on it. :D But it's quite needed.

7 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

If you want lots of story/backstory, character developemnt, and a campaign which change the price, strength, speed, etc... of the units, then choose the Fei's Smuggler campaign.

He used another tool to do it, but keep in mind that applying the files provided by him this will affect other mods.
This means that after you finishing playing this campaign you need to recover the original, or else your own campaign will change, the original game will change, and even other custom campaign could become unbeatable.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Currently I'm using the Gruntmods download, seems to be good for compatibility (though for editing, I'm using the separate D2k Editor, as it seems to be a little more up to date than the one that comes with Gruntmods).  I was thinking of installing a separate Dune2000 install for specific mods to avoid my original install getting messy.

8 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

Currently I'm using the Gruntmods download, seems to be good for compatibility (though for editing, I'm using the separate D2k Editor, as it seems to be a little more up to date than the one that comes with Gruntmods).  I was thinking of installing a separate Dune2000 install for specific mods to avoid my original install getting messy.

It's not too messy, you'd only need to replace four files. You can make backups of that easily :)

Indeed, I rebalanced the game. I think I have some notes on my new tech tree around here somewhere...

18 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

Yes, probably the download have the old editor. 

you don't need to have several instalactions of the game. As long as you have the mission launcher, you can have all the mods you want.

If you don't have, check this.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

the missionlauncher.zip have 95 missions included, so is plenty of campaigns and maps and all functional.

The only that can be messing is if you want to play a mod that change the rules with Tibed (changing the cost price of things, increasing the damage/range of the tanks, etc...). Those still requires to manually do something more.

but at least the rest of those mods don't touch the original (or other custom) game at all.

596fb61dbd394_missionlauncher.PNG.7bf23a627f76b932d4e3470edf678edb.PNG

Just check the imagen, You can see 3 different campaigns and a couple of missions. I choose one and play, I don't need to do anything more.

Edited by Cm_blast

27 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Yes, probably the download have the old editor. 

you don't need to have several instalactions of the game. As long as you have the mission launcher, you can have all the mods you want.

If you don't have, check this.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26661-dune-2000-106p-game-patching-bug-fixes-new-features/

the missionlauncher.zip have 95 missions included, so is plenty of campaigns and maps and all functional.

The only that can be messing is if you want to play a mod that change the rules with Tibed (changing the cost price of things, increasing the damage/range of the tanks, etc...). Those still requires to manually do something more.

Yeah, the Gruntmods download came with the mission launcher.  I only meant a second installation for mods that change the rules etc.

Also, a mission I'm working on at the moment, I need to persuade the AI to try to move a set of units that spawn on one side of the map to their base on the other side (the objective is to make sure they get back safely).  I'm having trouble persuading it to consistently move them.  Has anyone found solutions to similar problems?

13 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

Yeah, the Gruntmods download came with the mission launcher.  I only meant a second installation for mods that change the rules etc.

At least in my campaigns I always add the originals, so reverting is easy. But if you want to have a second instalaction just in case that's fine.

I have it this way in my "data/bin" folder:
596fbdb5ebf3d_data-bin.PNG.e5d0c235c9382c19769c4e693b72890a.PNG

But that's up to you, if you want a separated one it's ok, I have another Dune-folder to do my own tibed tests and weird stuff :P.

6 minutes ago, Domaithianus said:

Also, a mission I'm working on at the moment, I need to persuade the AI to try to move a set of units that spawn on one side of the map to their base on the other side (the objective is to make sure they get back safely).  I'm having trouble persuading it to consistently move them.  Has anyone found solutions to similar problems?

If you create the units with the "unit spawn" or "reinfocement" could be two problems.
1: The AI is not active, so those units don't do anything.
2: In the AI tab, there is a line "Guardgroupsize". This define how many units wander around the base. If it's too small, or if you are trying to do it in mid-game (so by that time the AI have the guardgroupsize filled with the units he builds, then it's not possible to make them move like this (the AI will consider those new units as "new groupo to attack", so they don't move).

Edited by Cm_blast