Terra Aqueous (tweaked)

A new 10 year scenario. Revisions - All regions, territories, and events (including authors winning conditions) removed. Size of cities adjusted, and some moved closer to coast. Default starting economy and player cash set. 10 managers removed. Reduced potential number of players. Changed port supply/demand. Added some fixed ports and steel mills.

Terra Aqueos(tweaked).zip

Edited by Diablogrunt
map tweaked and zipped

18 hours ago, Diablogrunt said:

All regions, territories, and events (including authors winning conditions) removed.

Did you design any replacements for those?

18 hours ago, Diablogrunt said:

Added some fixed ports and steel mills.

Have you checked that all towns still generate? There's a bug in the game where fixed buildings interfere with towns/cities. I forget if there's a work-around, but the discussion is in a thread that should be on the front page of its forum.

21 hours ago, Diablogrunt said:

My Terminal mentor played the game and did not seem to have any problems

That's encouraging. Still, you should scan the map's preset buildings for aborted towns each time you start. There may be a trick for placing such buildings without killing their towns; if so we should document it (maybe it's been mentioned before, but I've forgotten what it was).

It's not really a secret that I was trying to help out. Diablo, I apologize for not saying something yet, thought about it, no excuse. I only started the map a couple times without noticing a problem, maybe there were some I didn't notice since most towns with hand-placed Steel Mills that are prone to this behavior are near the edge of the map. Really there are only 3 or 4 towns that may "ghost."

Just now I restarted a bunch of times and the majority are randomly showing some "ghost" towns with the hand-placed Steel Mills but no houses. I found that changing the city size from "Town" to "City" virtually took the problem away. The bug hasn't been documented well. Still if you want to avoid some potential randomness, better to avoid it.

On 23/01/2015 at 8:51 AM, YFriuli said:

On an unrelated note, I noticed that some cities placed in the map editor disappear (i.e. they have no houses/industry) in the game when there is a building (e.g. a harbour) nearby that was placed by hand. Is there any fix for this other than randomly moving the city around until it appears?

Jeffry, was there another mention, something about a Tire Factory somewhere? I couldn't find it with a search.

Also, I was trying to help get the "Set Building Cost" event to work. No success. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks to those of you who helped me learn about aborted (ghost) cities. I had forgotten that I placed the steel mills near cities in the original Terra Aqueos revision. I'm still a newbie editor so hopefully everyone will bear with me as I continue to post revised maps.

5 hours ago, Diablogrunt said:

I had forgotten that I placed the steel mills near cities

The work-around is to remove the static mills and boost the chance for steel mill in the town or region. If you're working on several towns, then it's OK if some don't generate mills. The variation creates replay value.