GruntMods 1.6.2.2 Installation issues - Win 10

Cormoran

First off, thanks in advance for any help you can give and for all the work that has clearly been put in updating and maintaining this game. I haven't actually played Dune 2000 before, but enjoyed Dune 2 a lot in its day, and this caught my eye on an abandonware site. I'd love to be able to play it, but unfortunately my computer is too smart for me and can't let me do that. I'm concerned that it might start calling me Dave soon.

Anyway, I downloaded the full GruntMods 1.6.2.2 edition from https://www.gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/ (download 939) and opened the installer. I chose to install it on drive D rather than drive C, since drive C is my SSD and most of my software is on D. No problems so far, nor did I get any reports of problems throughout the unpacking process. I chose not to launch the game immediately and went to take care of something else, then a few hours later got back to it and tried to start things up. Here's where the problems started. Not only will the game not start, none of the files seem to have actually been installed on my computer. There are no start menu programs, nor shortcuts on the Desktop. The directory I chose for installation doesn't exist on my computer, as far as I can tell. I've made hidden & system files visible and still I can't find the game folders or files. I've tried to run the installer again and it tells me that the game's already installed and to please uninstall it and relaunch the installer. It's possible my virus scanner killed the installation process but didn't pop-up any notifications, I guess; I haven't been able to try it again with the virus scanner disabled, since the installer thinks the game is already installed. My guess is that there's a registry key I need to erase to install the game again, which would be automatically erased in the uninstall process had the uninstall file been created. Of course, if it had I might not have needed to ask the question in the first place. :P QED.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it working, or if nothing else does anyone know the registry key that the installer program uses so I can erase it and experiment further myself?

Edited by Cormoran

Seems I can't delete my last post, so I'll have to respond to myself. The installer seems to have worked this time, at least the files are in the directory I intended them to be. The earlier problem was due to my virus scanner, as I thought, though it had "Auto-Sandboxed" the files rather than preventing installation entirely. Anyway, that's been cleared up and the files are in D:\Program Files (x86)\ now. There may be an issue with the video files, as they're all displaying a size of 0. I'm not entirely sure since I can't watch them; the game won't start now. The mission launchers work, but when I try to actually run Dune2000.exe it gives me an error stating "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application." I've played around with the game settings a bit, enabled compatibility mode for Windows 95, XP, Vista, 7 and 8 on the .exe, switched the other compatibility mode settings around a bit, and set it to run as administrator but none of these change it.

Just in case anyone else ever reads this, I'll keep responding to myself as I discover solutions. The error I was receiving has already been discussed on this forum, it's a DirectPlay error. https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/6792-dune-2k-issues/ has info on how to fix it. Next issue is that the video files (which do show up with a size > 0 in the directory listing now, though I'm unsure what changed) are playing the sound, but the video is all black screen. I'll poke around and see if there are already posted solutions on here, if not I suppose the game is at least kind of playable without the cutscene graphics... kind of.

6 hours ago, Cormoran said:

Just in case anyone else ever reads this, I'll keep responding to myself as I discover solutions. The error I was receiving has already been discussed on this forum, it's a DirectPlay error. https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/6792-dune-2k-issues/ has info on how to fix it. Next issue is that the video files (which do show up with a size > 0 in the directory listing now, though I'm unsure what changed) are playing the sound, but the video is all black screen. I'll poke around and see if there are already posted solutions on here, if not I suppose the game is at least kind of playable without the cutscene graphics... kind of.

Dude, thank you for updating us even though nobody was replying haha.  I had the issue and this was the only thread I could find that specifically listed this exact problem, along with how to fix it.  My game runs now!  Thank you!  And I guess I'll be working on solving the video issue as well - I'm getting some kind of weird purple shattered effect, so the video is playing, I just can't make out what on earth it is.

On 07/07/2017 at 0:32 PM, X3M said:

You have higher chances of Grunt reacting on cncnet.com

This forum is more or less in a coma.

I Don't usually visit that forum, but I do check in here every once and a while. The video files are a separate download, you can either choose to download them as part of the installer or separately from here: https://www.gruntmods.com/cutscenes-and-extra-content/