RRT2 - Platinum Multiplayer FPS Issue

Just got this game going again and got my brother instantly hooked as well *but*; while we have no issues at all getting a multiplayer game started, the games frame rate will drop on both computers down to nothing. It's still playable, but the trains don't move; they just sort of jump along the track.

Neither of us have any issues in single player mode.

Both PC's are relatively new, running W10 64bit, 8gb ram, I5 6600k, GTX960 and we're on a gigabit switch.

I'm at a loss as to why it would be any different in a multiplayer game so if anyone's got any ideas they'd be much appreciated. We tried SM's Railroads! hoping it would be similar but with better graphics - it's not.

Few players ever even tried multiplayer, much less succeeded at it. What speed settings did you try on each side?

When I play (single-player) I pause at least once each month to save my progress. If I see a project that needs building, I might hold the game paused for an hour or more. I never did see how RRT2 could work as a multiplayer game.

I think that you and your brother will be teaching us.

Thanks for the reply jeffryfisher. We've tried every combination of in-game settings. It seems to be purely an animation issue. I'm wondering whether it's something the devs built into the game to account for the slow network speeds available when the game was released.

As for multiplayer....I've seen a few of your posts and can safely say you know this game a lot better than I do. It's likely we're not doing as well as we could be and/or don't fully understand all of the intricacies of the game but we played for maybe 8 hours total last game and didn't pause once. If we have 3 or 4 people playing, we won't start the game with AI; they only get introduced as players resign/start new company's so you get a fairly big head start in that respect.