Jump to content
Fey

[WIP] Harkonnen Campaign progress thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, Cm_blast said:

To me the remplacement it's just as a failsafe. A sandworm eating the Ai harverster and it's doom. But in later levels he can just build more as needed.

And the player can harass the AI with or without remplacements anyway.

And no, for today I am not going to look at the editor any more. I'll rest instead.

Right, that makes sense.

Yeah, but the player can completely destroy the enemy's economy with no chance of recovery with enough persistence :P So I keep the failsafe!

No worries, mate! Rest well, and thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Fey said:

Yeah, but the player can completely destroy the enemy's economy with no chance of recovery with enough persistence :P So I keep the failsafe!

I do that too. If there is room then I just use it. If I need room I remove if the AI have like 3 refs or something like that. By the time the player kill all the harversters and wait until the Ai depleted his money on harversters the game was won anyway.

your welcome.

Edited by Cm_blast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cm_blast said:

I do that too. If there is room then I just use it. If I need room I remove if the AI have like 3 refs or something like that. By the time the player kill all the harversters and wait until the Ai depleted his money on harversters the game was won anyway.

Right.

By the way, I just modded the, uhh... mod, a little bit. Why didn't anyone tell me Quads were underpowered as hell? :P They've received a 50% damage boost and 10% HP boost. Siege Tanks have received a 50% HP boost, and cost 200 additional Solaris, and there were a few minor tweaks with warhead damage, slightly nerfing this or that, or buffing this or that.

I did some testing. These aren't all of the tests, not by a long shot, but check 'em out:
Missile Tanks vs Trikes:
59d4d19e31dc0_i1304cimgpsh_orig.png.48f6dccfe32cbc78e5d49d3e1d0baac7.png

Looks about right.

Missile Tanks vs Raiders:
59d4d1967cc55_i1306cimgpsh_orig.png.6e9a670b1240d786b7a7425d6b9b9890.png

Raiders are slightly more effective.

Missile Tanks vs Siege Tanks:
59d4d1a90d2c0_i1302cimgpsh_orig.png.fced17ac3e956df381baf2008daaeeb8.png

This fight ended up with all units destroyed. Siege Tanks cancelled out Missile Tanks, and vice versa. I got a chuckle out of that.

Missile Tanks vs Combat Tanks:
59d4d1b598d52_i1301cimgpsh_orig.png.e41b8376210aedf4adc2567ef5aa467e.png

Tank destroyers. All three Combat Tank variants could only take these to 50% HP, so that's perfect.

Combat Tanks vs Quads:
59d4d1c4aacaa_i1299cimgpsh_orig.png.6ad3ba237b5caa634617e805f2278cd8.png

All three Combat Tank variants were taken to 50% by Quads.

Anyway, Quads are no longer useless. I haven't updated any files yet, since I'm still testing on campaign missions to be sure, but you wanna check out the unit balance and see how the new Quads feel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way Fey, since you are editing a lot with Tibed. You have not thought about making the sietchs to create fremen in the tradicional way instead being generated with unit spawns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

By the way Fey, since you are editing a lot with Tibed. You have not thought about making the sietchs to create fremen in the tradicional way instead being generated with unit spawns?

I've made it so that if one has an Atreides Barracks, a tech level of 5, and a Sietch, one may train Fremen from the Barracks. Same thing with Imperial Sardaukar at TL5 if you have an Imperial Palace and Harkonnen Barracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Cm_blast @Domaithianus
I worked up the briefings and a new map for the Harkonnen campaign. I also adjusted the mod, as y'all can see above.

H1V1, H1V2, H2V1, H2V2, H3V1, and H3V2 can all be found in the attached zip, linked here:
6 of 15 Hark.zip

As well as the new updates to the mod. The mod should work across ALL campaigns, so it's meant to be balanced within the smuggler campaign as well. If you ever revisit that campaign, or if you have yet to play through a couple of maps, I'd love to hear how the changes to the Quad and Siege Tank in particular affect the gameplay.

The Harkonnen campaign thus far makes use of defense areas to improve AI competence. The AI should defend Spice fields, critical weak points in their allies' bases, and ambush your forces in dunes. I'm curious about where this design technique can be applied to the smuggler campaign, so if you have any suggestions, please lemme know! All the maps were tested and beaten on hard mode at max speed.

Here's some info about H3V2:

Spoiler

Starting units: 4 Trikes, 2 Quads, 3 Grenadiers
Starting base: ConYard, Wind Trap x2, Refinery, Silo x2
Enemy AI: 4
Objectives: Destroy all hostile forces in Qanat Pass.
Unique aspects: Multiple practice AIs with strategic defense areas will reinforce the enemy position.
Fey's comments: This is the first map in the Harkonnen campaign where you see House Ordos. They have plenty of mercenary allies and will call for even more help over time, or if you get a little too close for comfort. The mercenary AIs have specific build orders meant to maximize their efficiency... like, the one on the east side will tech up to Light Factory first and put down two Refineries because they're a likely battle adversary aside from the Ordos themselves, and will need lots of funds and firepower to hold that position. The one on the west side will pump out infantry and assist in the defense of the Ordos' base entrance. The last mercenary AI, which starts with a base, will attack frequently in order to harass you. The battle may get hectic as you fight on many fronts, especially after you expand to the ruins of the initial mercenary AI's base, but focused attacks on specific enemy positions and on enemy Harvesters will break the enemy base to pieces. Moriaen will comment on the action, as will you after the Ordos have paid their dues, and De Vries will keep you informed on new developments throughout the battle.

Have fun!

Edit: I spotted an error in H1V2 where the fremen at the final sietch spawn atop the cliff. I'll take care of it later. And I should make the reinforcement on H2V1 for if you take out the S2 base first happen only if you've already built an Outpost... and I could have sworn I made the Imperials on H2V2 build units at a more reasonable rate that won't sink their Spice into the ground so quick...

Edited by Fey
Error spotting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am totally out for now. Finally the other hard drive start to do weird sounds, freezing and not initiating.

Now I have totally new Hard drive, but I am not totally sure about this. I am hearing some sound; people said those sounds are part of this model of hard drive, but I think I heard other type of sound... I am not even sure about that (I'm still restless right now), because maybe the whole computir is broken, so I am not going to download any updates because I feel I Am going to lost everything.

In fact. I can't even look right now at the "device administrator" (where you look the drivers and that type of stuff, but I could like 1 hour ago).

So for now I am not getting fun =(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I am totally out for now. Finally the other hard drive start to do weird sounds, freezing and not initiating.

Now I have totally new Hard drive, but I am not totally sure about this. I am hearing some sound; people said those sounds are part of this model of hard drive, but I think I heard other type of sound... I am not even sure about that (I'm still restless right now), because maybe the whole computir is broken, so I am not going to download any updates because I feel I Am going to lost everything.

In fact. I can't even look right now at the "device administrator" (where you look the drivers and that type of stuff, but I could like 1 hour ago).

So for now I am not getting fun =(.

No worries, Cm. I hope you fix the problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cm_blast - Since you replied, I suppose you can still answer questions even if you can't play. Right?

I'm tinkering with tilesets at the moment, as you can see:
Tileset!.png.43c5ea3cb0d2bbf4ca7cd3e214d94f5f.png

But I need to adjust the TileAtr data to fit with the new set. I saw a thread with the editor, but the download link was empty... I tried the current toolkit's version of the TileSet editor, but it just let me save the image into the game. I don't know how to modify the tiles within that image. Have you got the old version of the tileset editor, by any chance, or do you know how to work the new version? And on a related note, has anyone drawn up tilesets for Draconis IV or Geidi Prime?

Edit: Pardon me, I found a new working link and it has the functions I was looking at. I'll edit again if it works or doesn't :)

Edit 2: Looks like it's working. I can change how the tiles function, what's passable and what's not...
59dcca4e1d0d3_Tilesettesting1.png.6b2c0e5564b2ae88fec4ce971e765cd3.png

...but there are some funny visuals. Any way to get rid of these?
59dcca4ed7649_Tilesettesting2.png.783746ea136d9e5349750d574df46132.png

Edit 3: I worked up a test map for this tileset so we can play around with it a bit. It has a lot of the terrain implemented, like forests and lakes, and a weak Harkonnen AI on it. Tanks can move right alongside lakes, but it's been marked as "dunes" regions so they move slower. There are rocks for infantry and pathways where the rivers aren't so deep, and can be crossed.

Perhaps some sort of orange structure can be implemented, where the craters wouldn't look out of place, if fixing that is a serious hassle. I may also need to make the dirt roads unbuildable and just leave them in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, I uploaded the test... the .r8 and .r16 files should go in the "data" directory, TileAtr8 should go in "bin," and there are three mission files that of course go in "missions." Then, everything should work. Could someone confirm for me? Thanks!
TilesetTest.zip

Edit 4: So far, I've been unable to locate the graphic for craters. Anyone know where I can find it? Hopefully it's not a hassle to change...

Edited by Fey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2017 at 1:42 PM, Fey said:

Since you replied, I suppose you can still answer questions even if you can't play. Right?

Not really xD.

Well, Finally I took the computer to repair, but I am finally back. Seems that it was the power supply. Was failing so any hard disk was being turned off and on quickly every few minutes (or hours). Now I have a new one, and I really hope I can rest.

If it wasn't for all the trouble I should have my campaign released by now. Anyway. downloading right now gruntmod and start to giving use to this thing.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:42 PM, Fey said:

...but there are some funny visuals. Any way to get rid of these?

I don't know how to remove those. I remember trying back in time to replicate Dune 2 graphics, but the crates always look like that. There are online maps using Red alert tileset, but those still have the crates. Maybe the are integred in a .exe file or something like that. I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Not really xD.

Well, Finally I took the computer to repair, but I am finally back. Seems that it was the power supply. Was failing so any hard disk was being turned off and on quickly every few minutes (or hours). Now I have a new one, and I really hope I can rest.

If it wasn't for all the trouble I should have my campaign released by now. Anyway. downloading right now gruntmod and start to giving use to this thing.

I don't know how to remove those. I remember trying back in time to replicate Dune 2 graphics, but the crates always look like that. There are online maps using Red alert tileset, but those still have the crates. Maybe the are integred in a .exe file or something like that. I have no idea.

No worries, I'm glad you (hopefully) got the problem sorted. :)

So, if we were to create tilesets for grassy areas or whatever, we'd have to use bright orange platforms or something that could conceivably have the color orange beneath it. Okay, good to know. I'm just happy I got another tileset to work with Dune 2000, and that I found out how to customize the terrain's data to change where units can and cannot tread, although perhaps one of our map editor making friends would have an idea of where the crater data is stored...

I got working on H4V1 in the meantime. It's coming along. Aside from the tileset test map, H1V1 through H3V2 have been given some polish and released. Please do have a look when you get the chance, Cm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Fey said:

No worries, I'm glad you (hopefully) got the problem sorted. :)

So, if we were to create tilesets for grassy areas or whatever, we'd have to use bright orange platforms or something that could conceivably have the color orange beneath it. Okay, good to know. I'm just happy I got another tileset to work with Dune 2000, and that I found out how to customize the terrain's data to change where units can and cannot tread, although perhaps one of our map editor making friends would have an idea of where the crater data is stored...

I got working on H4V1 in the meantime. It's coming along. Aside from the tileset test map, H1V1 through H3V2 have been given some polish and released. Please do have a look when you get the chance, Cm!

Yes, hopefully.

Maybe one day we can have custom crates, for now seeing how the thing works I am focusing in regular maps. In fact, I have that map where the player recieves X credits every few minutes, without any spice to harverst. I have this idea for a Draconis IV map, but I just turned it into a regular "no spice here".

If all goes well, I'll start with a general test with all my campaign (some of them are already in a good spot, others still need a bit of balance) and creating the unfinished missions, so I can start playing yours and the other campaign over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cm_blast said:

Yes, hopefully.

Maybe one day we can have custom crates, for now seeing how the thing works I am focusing in regular maps. In fact, I have that map where the player recieves X credits every few minutes, without any spice to harverst. I have this idea for a Draconis IV map, but I just turned it into a regular "no spice here".

If all goes well, I'll start with a general test with all my campaign (some of them are already in a good spot, others still need a bit of balance) and creating the unfinished missions, so I can start playing yours and the other campaign over there.

Sounds good to me, man. I don't plan on doing a no-Spice thing, but limited resources could work! I design a lot of my maps with attentiveness to player aggression, enabling or even encouraging them to attack new locations early on. With the incentive of finding a new field of resources at a small enemy forward base, it could make for some fast-paced, fun maps. So the enemy doesn't eat up all the Spice too quickly, we could use allocation indexes, build rates, and infinite credits for the AI.

Speaking of other campaigns, I still have to give Domaithianus feedback on O6V3 through the end... but I've been using my free time for map design and video work. :P Soon! Soon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fey said:

Sounds good to me, man. I don't plan on doing a no-Spice thing, but limited resources could work! I design a lot of my maps with attentiveness to player aggression, enabling or even encouraging them to attack new locations early on. With the incentive of finding a new field of resources at a small enemy forward base, it could make for some fast-paced, fun maps. So the enemy doesn't eat up all the Spice too quickly, we could use allocation indexes, build rates, and infinite credits for the AI.

Speaking of other campaigns, I still have to give Domaithianus feedback on O6V3 through the end... but I've been using my free time for map design and video work. :P Soon! Soon...

Sometimes I like to try new ideas. For example that mercenary map where it's the player who choose the side to ally, not the game or the briefing; and based on that the player start with different initial money, specific reinforcements at bigger/smaller loops... things like that.

I remember thinking a map where the player harverst X credits to recieve extra harverters, then X credits for increasing your tech, recieving MCV, revealing the map, etc... but at the end I didn't like this.

well, with 99.999.99 credits the AI it's infinite anyway. The game should last for like 20 hours just to spend all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cm_blast said:

Sometimes I like to try new ideas. For example that mercenary map where it's the player who choose the side to ally, not the game or the briefing; and based on that the player start with different initial money, specific reinforcements at bigger/smaller loops... things like that.

I remember thinking a map where the player harverst X credits to recieve extra harverters, then X credits for increasing your tech, recieving MCV, revealing the map, etc... but at the end I didn't like this.

well, with 99.999.99 credits the AI it's infinite anyway. The game should last for like 20 hours just to spend all that.

Yeah, that's what I mean with the infinite Spice. And I was thinking of playing around more with the tech level thing! I used it once already in S6V1 when the Ordos get their first delivery. It boosts their tech level so they start building Deviators out of their Heavy Factory, and then use those weapons against their normal targets.

So far I'm obviously really fond of using alliances and multiple AIs. Gunseng's going to be assisting Krillys personally in H4V1, HBON, and H5V1. I do want to use more reinforcements in my maps, I already started playing around with that in H3V1 and H3V2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×