playing on bigger maps?

Nuclear_harvester

so my question is    can we have higher map size? afaik maximum is 128x128 i managed to hack the map editor and create 200x200 map but it was crashing game  map editor was spewing out  random buldings/units at edge of th hacked map but what i could remove i did  but  game was still crashing so i guess dune 2000 dont have support for  higher  size maps? or maybe we didnt find way yet to make bigger maps? im just curious because on other WW  game "red alert 2" we could do enormous maps.   even red alert 1 after some "hacking" was able to  play on bigger maps,...i know that red alert 1 shares some code elements  with dune2k but dune2k  doesnt  seem to work if you make bigger map.

• Upvote 1

I would also like to know this. Bigger maps would be nice!

My guess is that FunkyFresh might be able to answer this question as he has the most reverse engineered game code.

I'm afraid however that it will not be possible because too much stuff is 'hard coded' and fixing that requires a lot of work.

Edited by D2k Sardaukar

uploaded  200x200  map compressed rar .   as above,map is bugged and cant be launched  it gives  numerous errors. but    technically you can do 200x200 map.

we ened to find  a way to actually be able to play on larger maps,i know this is  hard coded but we could override it since  other westwood games  support big maps.  just dune2k is exception

errormap.rar

-------------------------

update.   i also created 2000x2000 map but its  also crashing - this time gives error reloated to map file.

rrormap 2000x2000.rar

-------------------------

update 2.  can create even 10000x10000  maps.  but if we find way to  make game actually load the maps without crash it would give interessing  results.

update 3.  created  100k x 100k map.  but map editor  choke up  still generate that big map  but it  started to add   mis content  like reinforcements  even worms een buldings without my interaction so generated big map   added random buldings

-----------------

what is my dream?  to make  2000x2000 map work and play   huge game.

--------------------

when trying to edit mission content  it gives error grid index out of range, map editor does not crash

-------------

Edited by Nuclear_harvester
update

• 2 weeks later...

short update,after playing more with i figured out maybe the map editor is glitching map,my question is  does there exsist other map editors,if so what ones would be still good to make maps (without units or buldings)  just want to find way to make bigger and bigger map  but i think  the current map editor makes map devastated so it generate  errors.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:45 AM, Fey said:

Isn't 128x128 big enough? I mean, holy cow. It's huge. Maybe I'm just new to them there larger maps, but it seems huge to me.

It is. I don't know why would anyone want more, I mean sure, it's cool as a "fun" feature but I do not see it as a practical one. It could only be useful on very specific custom map game modes IMO.

yes  but i was trying to find out if actually we could  start game with map higher than 128x128 any help appreciated,just for science and some fun because if we find way to extend unit limits we could make bigger gamesas far as now i figurd out that game could support the  larger maps only problem is with map itself game says that there is error in map file or something even aftr map editor save map succefully. parser issue?

If it gives an error, how exactly did that lead you to the conclusion that the game can support larger maps? As far as I can see that only means the editor supports larger maps :P

On 4/11/2017 at 1:07 AM, Nuclear_harvester said:

even red alert 1 after some "hacking" was able to  play on bigger maps,...i know that red alert 1 shares some code elements  with dune2k but dune2k  doesnt  seem to work if you make bigger map.

Uhh... no. RA's megamaps are an officially added feature, and as far as I know, it required a ton of the internals to be changed. All building foundation definitions use a wraparound value equal to the maximum map width to indicate which of its cells are on the next "line" on the map. Every single one of those had to be changed for the megamaps feature.

If they actually defined that as constant in their source code and just used that constant in their foundation definitions, that means that to them that was a single value change. But once compiled those get calculated and stored as the final value, so to hack in the same thing, every single one of these values has to be adapted.

Edited by Nyerguds

yes but shai hulud  map editor was not able to make that  huge maps anyway,the curent map editor when  bigger map is created  random items are added during the lsuper big map creation
 and those maps are fine  if map editor was not adding random stuff  game would probably start. if you place too much items on map game will crash,question is how to find and erease unwanted items whe they are outside map area as  created one big map  clear rock one  to find that i had  like 60 starting player points  at edge of map  and whole big map is rolled so i put 1 bulding it spawns in multiple locations.

spen few hours on cleaning one of maps but still it holds    even buldings  outside play area which also crash game.  finally managed to get almost playable map it just  tell me about some heavy factory  that is bugged and cant remove it as i dont see it anyway